[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I didn't understand the ending, why did they fly?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
I didn't understand the ending, why did they fly?
>>
my interpretation is that following Lucifer is the "true" way to ascend to the stars, but at the same time that doesn't necessarily mean condoning the family getting wiped out. The whole idea of Satanism is to live for yourself, (seeing the world, being open to all the unknown experiences it has to offer, doing whatever you want to do, etc.) instead of pledging yourself to an actual deity, not even Satan. That's why when Lucifer does appear at the end, his speech to Tomasin doesn't really sound that malevolent if you read it out of context.

The entire time the family who prays to God to attone for their sins, which in reality is what gets them all killed by the end, they get no where but the grave. Tomasin is the only one who actually notes the hypocrisy of this lifestyle, and in the end pledges herself to the ideology Lucifer is associated with. Therefore she's able to fly into the sky and "ascend" literally and figuratively, whereas her family (and the rest of the world at that point) were slaves to their own guilt and stayed on (and in) the ground for eternity.

I'm sure there are a few things that counteract my opinion but that's what I got out of it after 3 viewings.
>>
>>69842588
That's very insightful thank you anonymous.
>>
They flew because they're witches. Jesus christ.

There's like absolutely nothing to read into this film because it's kind of a radically straightforward supernatural horror film.
>>
They flew because Thomasin is the cutest person in the world.
>>
Why are her eyes so far apart?
>>
>>69843073
This
>>
>>69842063
Isn't the ending scene just a dream?
>>
>>69843237
probably
>>
>>69842063

It's a witch lore thing. Using the fat of children enables witches to fly. Bye bye twins.
>>
>>69842588

these are some good thoughts about it. I think what takes away from it a bit is that thomasin is also devout, she is praying at the beginning about how she is sinful and wants to be forgiven.

also, there is a feminist theme in the movie. Eggers acknowledged it although it seemed like he didn't set out to make a feminist movie just that witches are about female power. I think that the main relationship in the movie was between thomasin and her mother. the mother is like representative of the old way and thomasin is resisting. she gets blamed for everything throughout the movie and gets generally pushed around and told what to do, she doesn't get to make any decisions. black phillip offers her complete freedom and control over her life (FEMINISM).
>>
>>69843073
It's a good movie, but there is really nothing left open to interpretation. I don't know why people are having such are hard time with it.
>>
Where is the meme guy that would spam the same thing about the vvitch?
>>
>>69842588
The hell you talking about? Its not metaphors!!! Its all from old english and the real bible

Burning fat of children gives you flying ability (they burned the twins)

Praying doesnt magically save you from bad things happening, but if you let bad things make you lose faith then yeah you go to hell

And when you sign your name in the book, you definitly pledge loyalty to Satan. Satan is a liar, that you even talk about this 'to follow satan is just to have free will' makes me think Satan is trying to trick you right now to be honest.
>>
File: the_witch_nude.jpg (41 KB, 620x326) Image search: [Google]
the_witch_nude.jpg
41 KB, 620x326
>>69843106

Was that really Anya Taylor Joy, or a body double?
>>
>>69845381
whole body looked too thick to me. Pretty sure it was a double
>>
>>69845369
That actually sounds more like Paganism than Satanism imo.
>>
>>69845381
>>69845446
Why would a literal nobody need a body double?
>>
>>69842063
Thomasin a cite,, A CUTE!
>>
>>69845259
>I don't know why people are having such are hard time with it.
They're just trying to live deliciously.
>>
yay it's this thread again, for all the good that the epilogue did

it's a cinematic interpretation of a compilation of puritan witch stories, represented as the story of a family that satan destroys through the channel of a witch coven.

young women are corruptible. don't trust them bitches. even if their whole family is slaughtered they'll still go join covens because of periods or lust or some shit. fear god and beat the shit out of your daughters so they don't go all witch-crazy.
>>
>>69842063
The sister was so hot, wish she teased her brother more
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.