[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mongol Rally?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: mongol rally.jpg (345 KB, 1040x585) Image search: [Google]
mongol rally.jpg
345 KB, 1040x585
I don't suppose any of you have ever done this, but I just recently joined the military. I figure I'm going to save my cash, and before I go into college, I'll finish the journey with either a friend or a stranger. Any tips?

>buy a clunker car in western Europe (not technically Mongol Rally, because I won't be making the donation)
>drive through eastern Ukraine
>continue through Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan again, Russia and then Mongolia
>break down along the way, meet locals, get car fixed, try not to get shot

Any tips from you travelers?
>>
>>1114583
Haven't really done a trip using a travel agency, and I figure the paperwork would be the hardest. Is this accurate?

>go to travel agency
>get visas from them
>multiple entry Russian visas, try to find longer term visas for some of the more difficult-to-visit countries
>get travel insurance from them
>contact Ukrainian embassy to figure out if the east is even passable, if not go around
>get simple car insurance

When I get to Mongolia, I hear that it's difficult to dispose of the car. So I figured I'd donate it to Steppe Riders. I've heard a lot of good about them here on /trv/, and figured rather than going through the loopholes with the car, they could take it.

Possibly I could even be met on the Russia/Mongolia border, I hear it's difficult to drive through Mongolia without breaking down on their terrible roads. Maybe they could help?
>>
>>1114583

How long do you think this will take? How much do you think it would cost?

Cause I'd be totally game to do this with you, depending on the time of year/timeline.
>>
>>1114600
When I say stranger, I mean someone I barely know, like an acquaintance from high school or something. Sorry for the vagueness.

From what I've seen about it online, it can get dangerous in parts.

>guys get held at gunpoint at the Kazakh border
>stranded in the Gobi Desert and tugging their dump car for miles
>if they did this today, route goes through Donetsk and Luhansk

Plus Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan are paperwork nightmares, from what I'm reading. All my plans are like 4 or 5 years in the future and might fall through depending on what the military has in store. My main worry is the paperwork, and I'm actually wondering if a travel agency could even handle it.
>>
>>1114583
Even though Ukraine is nice and all, I'd consider going through Belarus instead b/c of the conflict.
>>
>>1114583
>drive through eastern Ukraine

Might not be such a great idea. The conflict died down a bit, and the people fighting sure aren't ISIS-tier, but you still don't want to get yourself in trouble there. You can always try to pass through Crimea, Putin is probably keepin g that area well secured, and he's building a bridge to mainland Russia.
>>
Tips? Learn how to fix cars and how to improvise fixes.

>>1114600
Not OP but the official rally lasts up to 2 months.
>>
File: 4777422s-960.jpg (186 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
4777422s-960.jpg
186 KB, 960x540
Perhaps get a light commercial vehicle instead of a car. Like maybe a van or a pickup or a landrover. They are better suited to rough roads.

As for getting your papers in order, you should contact a company that does these kinds of rallies.
They may be able to help you.
http://www.caucasianchallenge.com/
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.