[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Future travel for Japan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: JET_Program_Logo.gif (28 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
JET_Program_Logo.gif
28 KB, 500x275
Hey all, Im going to be studying for a Biomedical degree at uni in september, and after thats done and dusted im looking for a future in Japan.

Does anyone have any experiance with the JET Program? what kind of degree is needed? if a pass degree or an ordinary degree is accepted?

Anyone know what things i'll need to take with me that would be essential? thinks to know?

I have a girlfriend that really doesnt want me to leave England, or even go to Japan at all. what do I do?

Thanks for your help
>>
>>974303
http://www.jet-uk.org/index.php

Can you read?

You should know it's extremely hard getting into the JET program--especially for British people as the Japanese want western-American accents.
>>
>>974319
Yeah I can read man, thanks for the link too. when I searched for the JET program earlier I got a crappier, "with less infomation" website. Ill have a good look through.

Im sure if I have the requirements I'll have a good chance.
>>
>>974331
Current JET here. Unfortunately it's not that easy... Many good applicants end up being rejected. I'm not really sure why.

Take it easy, though. You're years away from having to deal with things like packing, assuming you get in.
>>
>>974535
I plan for the future constantly, you said your a current JET, did you have to apply multiple times before you were accepted?
>>
>>974303
You break up with the girl that is holding back your dreams.
>>
>>974914
I was thinking it might come to that, shes been with me for 4 years. so it'll be hard.
>>
Bumperrino.

Say if I were to go ona tourist holiday for 90 days, or a working holiday, would it be better to apply directly to a Japanese school to be an english teacher than go through the JET program?
>>
lel JET

Get on the private circuit nigga

I mean, you'll be peddling shit to chillens and bored housewives, but uh, hey. It's a foot in the door to Japan.

From there, you can get a job in practically anything you're qualified in.

Biomed might be difficult, if you have shit-tier Japanese skills.
>>
>>975964
>would it be better to apply directly to a Japanese school to be an english teacher than go through the JET program?

The former. JET take a year to get into, and out of many only a select few get in. You'll have hundreds of eikawa jobs to interview for if you go over to Japan in person, although you won't get the benefits and pay as JET offers.
>>
>>974303
Why are you applying to JET if you're doing biomedical?
>>
>>974626
It was my first time applying. I studied computer science and don't have any teaching experience so they really do admit all kinds of people.

>>975964
It depends what you mean by Japanese school. If you mean to a public school like a primary school, high school, etc. (technically you'd actually be talking to the school board, not the school itself in most cases) then it's almost unheard of to successfully apply directly without any experience or connections. Instead you would have to go through a dispatch company like Interac. I'd definitely recommend JET in that case, as JET has a better reputation and better pay, but it's a much longer application process. Eikaiwas are a different story, where you teach at a private English school. I don't know much about them so I'll let someone else talk about that.

>>976023
Like I said above, I studied CS. It's pretty much just a fun post-college experience for me. After I'm done I'll go to grad school and then back into the software industry. I get the feeling that JET likes that kind of person, because they go on to a variety of industries back home and share their interest in Japan with lots of different people. It's good PR for the country.
>>
>>976023
Because I've always wanted to go to Japan, I know I could train to be a doctor, a pathologist, anything really if I do great in my degree, but at the end of the day, ill always have that degree with me. maybe I can use it later in life.

>>976031
I see, I'll have a google at Interac and any other similar companys.
Im mainly planning on it to be a life experiance for myself as well, I'll need to make a decision when Im in Japan if I'd like to continue on the JET/working with Interac and go back home, or go back home, train for a specific job, then try my luck in Japan with it
>>
>>975964
>>976116
For reference, thats me.
>>
File: 1429830684511.jpg (39 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1429830684511.jpg
39 KB, 480x480
I passed the second screening for JET and am due to depart for Japan in August. I was able to get in on my first application. I majored in Langauges and Politics.

If you are thinking about JET, then I strongly recommend you do a lot of extra-curricular activities in and around your university. I think it was my involvement in these sorts of clubs and programs etc. that landed me my position... I also did some casual work for the uni as a tutor + had some really great reference letters from teachers/ lecturers.

Also, try not to be a robot if you make it through to the interview stage. They much rather people who can easily engage with others over your average anime weablord. Getting a shitty part-time job in retail might help you with this if you suck.

Also, anyone on the program now now what the rules are around the hotel in Tokyo orientation? My girlfriend is going to come up from Osaka to see me and I really want to spend my nights in Tokyo with her etc... Do we have to share rooms with other JETs at the hotel??
>>
File: QL8Bnjm.gif (1 MB, 392x400) Image search: [Google]
QL8Bnjm.gif
1 MB, 392x400
>>976329
Thanks for the tips, I've already applied to go on a Jap language course at my uni, ill probably go to the gym and such as well.

Ill also try get a part time job at a hospital or pharmacy
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.