[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sleeping in the Airport
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: the-terminal-bench-sleeping.jpg (26 KB, 400x261) Image search: [Google]
the-terminal-bench-sleeping.jpg
26 KB, 400x261
Anyone here has experience or tips on sleeping in airports?

Somehow my friend who booked our hotels didn't check the departure date and booked our flights arriving a day early from the date we are supposed to check in the hotel. The airport in question is Narita. I read some people say that the security guards will herd up passengers who are sleeping in the airport and will bug them with questions.
>>
>>953684
You couldn't spend the night in a capsule hotel?
>>
>>953685
I think I might have to but trying to see if I can save some money by sleeping in the airport. Is it not allowed to sleep in Narita?
>>
>>953689
I've only been to terminal 2 at Narita and the arrivals has nothing apart from the road and stairs to a train station and a 100 yen shop. Not many places to sleep I don't think.

I'm not sure about Japanese law but wouldn't that be considered loitering since you're in arrivals not departures.
>>
At Keflavik Airport, behind security you can sleep to your heart's content but on the nonsecure side the guards enforce wakefulness robustly.
>>
>>953684
Try this http://www.sleepinginairports.net/asia/tokyo_narita.htm
>>
>>953696
That has been my experience most places, though back in the day I was rousted out of the secure part of the airport in Miami when it closed for the night. I doubt it does that any more.

OP will not be able to get into the secure area 24 hours in advance, of course
>>
>>953684

Every airport kinda has its own policy - I've been places where security won't let passengers stretch out to nap, while dozing away in your chair doesn't attract much attention. Bigger airports tend to be more lax on passengers who have to spend the night, since there are flights coming and going at all hours. I've had to spend nights in Laguardia International in NYC, Almaty International in Kazakhstan, Schiphol in Amsterdamn, JFK, and Heathrow, to name a few. Heathrow had different sleeping policies for different terminals, so far as I could tell, and once it got to be very late at night,a security guard came around, woke everybody up, and took them to a separate part of the airport to sleep.

If you're just crashing in the airport to save money, that could be a problem if somebody asks to see your ticket. If you have luggage you need to pick up, simply staying at the gate won't be an option for you, so you'll have to sleep in the non-secure zone (as another poster put it), which could definitely create a hassle.

On the other hand... sleeping at LGA is basically like sleeping in a third-world country. There were literally dozens of homeless people crashing in the domestic terminal's food court.
>>
Sleeping in departures? Usually fine but depends on the airport
Sleeping in arrivals? No chance, look for a hostel/hotel/capsule hotel
>>
Most places seem to set up the chairs so that it's impossible to stretch out, and they're usually uncomfortable enough that trying to sleep upright is pointless.

I had a 12-hour layover at Heathrow and tried to stretch out across two chairs. Nobody hassled me, but there wasn't any way to fall asleep even though I was exhausted.
>>
I have slept at Philadelphia airport during a snowstorm (in departures). Best thing I can tell you is a method for doing so comfortably:
You know how they have spacers for the seat cushions? But none for the back rest?
Take 2 benches and flip them so that the back rests are on the ground. Connect the 2 rows of back rests. You now have a bed. YMMV but a lot of people were doing it and if it's an empty airport, you might as well try
>>
Slept at the airport in Osaka. Loads of people did it and they even handed out free blankets (until they ran out). You could even slide the seats into bed like sizes, which was pretty nice
>>
I've slept in Newark, just stretched out on the ground, and I've slept in Frankfurt. Frankfurt actually had chairs designed for sleeping.
>>
Sleeping on arrivals is pretty impossible, mainly because of lack of space and influx of people, let alone the guards.

Sleeping on departures is really easy on most airports. My personal favorite was Stuttgart where one terminal had a cafe with leather couches and some pillows around.

Kastrup is also recommended, a lot of people around though. If you go upstairs it should be very comfortable and safe I think, plus lots of hot girls playing cards for some reason.
>>
>>953833
yes, i slept at Frankfurt airport. They have benches good for stretching out your whole to sleep. My friend was kind enough to let me sleep on the bench while he slept next to me on the floor. This was from 2am to 8am.
>>
>>953684
Sit down comfortably, close your eyes and relax.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.