[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your country's food in another country?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10
File: imgres.jpg (15 KB, 332x152) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
15 KB, 332x152
Better or worse?
I never had the opportunity to try my country's food in another country.

Have you /trv/?
>>
It's weird when you go abroad and they give you funny looks when you ask for vinegar on your chips. They tend to not really get the concept of chips abroad either and just call french fries chips or try to sell you a packet of crisps.

My step brother went on an exchange to Germany once and while they were there they did actually encounter a takeaway that sold real chips instead of French fries and convinced the German students to try vinegar on their chips as well as salt. The resultant babyish fuss and disgusted faces the Germans made after tasting a chip with the proper seasoning you would think they had been force fed sprouts.
>>
>>952896
vinegar on chips and or crisps is absolutley disgusting
>>
>>952892

KFC is Asia in a wonderful thing. Otherwise, I'll stick the local thing.
>>
Mexican food in India. Never again.
>>
>>952931

Why would you even think that was a good idea?
>>
>>952896
you brits have awful food and you complain when foreigners don't understand your disgusting tastes as if THEY are the uncultured ones

fuck off
>>
Tried a Kebap in Tokyo once. They used chilly sauce and shit and the bread was really weird, but overall it was okay.
>>
>>952892
I had a Melange1 and a Linzer Torte2 in a not-very original looking "Viennese" coffee house on 5th Avenue in NYC. I was couch surfing at some Filipono guys amazing flat two blocks away from Columbus circle who couldn't afford travelling himself, so as a thank you I invited him to that place so that he could experience some of my country - the food was ok but ridiculously overpriced; however, the coffee house had nothing off the atmosphere of the traditional ones in Vienna, which I absolutely love. The same building also houses Klimt's "Adele Bloch Bauer", commonly knows as the "goldene Adele", the most expensive painting at that time.

1Coffee kinda like a Cappuccino
2The oldest known written recipe for a cake. I grew up not far away from the city of Linz.
>>
>>952931
I has Mexican in Bahrain, it was pretty bad. I think the cooks were Indian. lol
>>
>>952940

Jeez, looks like someone has a CHIP on their shoulder.
>>
Italian food in foreign countries is generally horribly overpriced or just shitty, if I feel the need for it ill just cook pasta in a hostel. Except maybe in mediterran countries where the food culture and ingredients are similar.
>>
As a frenchman I'm used to seeing my homefood slaughtered across the glob.

French restaurants owned by french chefs (especially the famous ones) are almost always ridiculously overpriced anywhere in the world.

Also it is extremely rare to find decent croissants or baguettes abroad. Be it in hotels, shops, so called "french" bakeries (hello, Delifrance).

We had a decent meal in a french owned restaurant in Pattaya though.

I think the only food that is more hackneyed than the french food is the italian one.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-02-21-22-04-32_1.jpg (201 KB, 1062x1042) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-02-21-22-04-32_1.jpg
201 KB, 1062x1042
>>952932
I had been living overseas for over a year and hadn't eaten any Mexican food since I left. Sure, burritos aren't authentic Mexican but I still craved one.

When it was delivered to me I sent it back saying that I ordered a burrito. Hanji replied politely that this was a burrito lol.
>>
I've had some damn good burgers abroad. Netherlands, Sweden and Japan in particular.
>>
>>952940
>Brits
>awful food

Somebody doesn't know much about desserts...

Seriously if it's sweet and hot 99% of the time the Brits invented it along with most cakes. This is what a lot of countries don't get when they moan about British food.

Also what exactly is wrong with fish and chips, pies, bangers or roast dinners?
>>
Murica has best food we have everything from europoor and more
>>
>>953037
Brit has shit food the bright side is if i want any middleeast food i can come there and eat it you guys are drowning in sand niggers
>>
>>953046
You aren't the sharpest tool in the shed are you?
>>
>>953054
Why don't you go have some spotted dick to ease your nerves m8?
>>
I had fish n chips in Malibu and it wasn't bad. They used tempura batter but it was OK. The chips were actually chips.
>>
>>952911
I don't even enjoy KFC in the uSA, rank several chicken joints above itm,with Bojangles ebing number one, but ti was one of my go-to restaurants when abroad. May have avoided it then, if not the first time I went at the behest of an Asian chick I was fucking. It's better abroad than the States.

Said can be said for McDonalds. Hardees has some unique menu items, but I wouldn't call it better or worse. BK is just the same. I actually make it a point to visit US restaturants abroad to compare.

I consider Chili's worse in mUslim countries, especially there Texas Cheese Fries. In Muslim Countries they actually put chili on the fries instead of bacon. In general, places where they substitute beff products, or use beef bacn, it makes the food taste worse. I remember I had this girl over my house, non-Muslim, Asian in fact, but lived in the middle east. She was cooking us breakfast and cooked some actual pork bacon that I had and was amazed at how good it tasted.
>>
>>953037
>blah blah Brits invented desserts! Best EVAR!
This isn't even true.

>Also what exactly is wrong with fish and chips, pies, bangers or roast dinners?
It's boring pleb food. Vinegar on chips is fine if you like it and were raised with it, but it's pretty nasty otherwise. Also, Brits cannot claims deep fried potato strips, so don't act like keeping off the vinegar is some sort of crime. Brits always have their heads so far up their asses, shit.

>>952892
It's not from my country, but I had Chinese food in Egypt once. Weirdest take on a foreign cuisine I've had. Was travelling with a friend, and somehow we heard or read about it. We're from the PNW, so we're used to fairly authentic diverse styles of Chinese cooking... We just thought, what the hell, it could be interesting, just wanted a change in flavors.

First of all, it was on the top floor of some fading glory try-hard hotel (like all of Egypt -- you know what I mean if you've been there), and we had to ride up an elevator with a bellboy, after going through a metal detector and being swept for guns or bombs or something. They gave us the weirdest look when we said we're looking for this Chinese restaurant, like they would never have expected Westerners to show up. Anyway, food was pretty strange, and as you might imagine not very 'authentic'. What was interesting was that they had pork though! The pork turned out to be tough and really overcooked. Basically every dish was somehow a lump of flesh, battered, deep fried, and tossed in some kind of bland sauce and served with a few slivers of vegetables and a very small bowl of rice. It was trying to be fancy, candles and low lighting, waiters in penguin suits, all that shit. Pretty sure they assumed we were homos.
>>
>>953112
I also once had "American Food" at a restaurant in Bombay. The bellboy of my hotel was kinda chatty (hustlin for dem tips), and I asked him one night to recommend a restaurant nearby. He gave me a name and address, and when I found it, realized it was 'International Food' themed, so he probably figured a bit fat American would want big fat hamburgers. Well whatever, I thought I'd give it a try, it wasn't a chain, and I'd been in India for months at this point, so why not. They seated me in an air conditioned section (it wasn't even that hot at the time), and shoved me in a far corner, well away from the several already filled up tables. So being a big fat American, of course I figured I'd order a "burger and fries". The burger was labeled as being minced chicken, but OK sure whatever. What came was a joke, and I wish smartphones were around back then to document it... A burger about the size of the most ordinary ones at McDs, with a (single) piece of dry lettuce and squirt of ketchup, over-toasted dried out bun, and arranged on the plate in an attempt at artsy plate presentation were about 8 single skinny french fries. It took me less than two minutes to eat it, though I had waited nearly 20 as I recall. Total fucking joke.

It was quiet in the place, and everyone was staring at me the whole time too, couples on dates, teenage girls on birthday dinners with their families, the waiters... I paid, left, and recall going somewhere else to eat a proper dinner right after, and later told the bell boy that the burger sucked.
>>
American here, I tried a pizza when I was in Naples in Italy. Man did that burn my canoli. They brought out this thing that in no way looked like a pizza. This thing had the stingiest helping of cheese on it and the crusts weren't even stuffed. That ain't the worst of it though, it had this really thing bread it was on, I tried to lift up a slice to eat with my fingers and it was so thin it bent.

How hard is it to get a pizza right? I didn't see one Dominos all the time I was out there so maybe someone like showed them a poloroid of a pizza and they tried to make it based on that, because it sure as hell wasn't real authentic American pizza.
>>
>>953140
OK, /trv/, let's see if you are as easy to troll as the other boards...
>>
File: 1234141241241.jpg (155 KB, 702x602) Image search: [Google]
1234141241241.jpg
155 KB, 702x602
>>953140
>>953161
Not sure anyone would actually fall for that

captcha:top kek
>>
>>953037
>Also what exactly is wrong with fish and chips, pies, bangers or roast dinners?
Ulster Fry <3
>>953112
>don't act like keeping off the vinegar is some sort of crime
oh but it is, and I'm not even British
>>953118
topkek
>>
>>953140
awww, look it's baby's first troll! How adorable!

I am yet to find poutine anywhere outside of Canada. But I have had French Hot dogs... if that counts...
>>
>>953201

I'm American but I remembered getting a kick out of seeing poutine on the menu of a late-night delivery joint in New Delhi.
>>
>>953201
Poutine is slowly creeping its way across the B.C./Washington border.
>>
>>953112
>Brits always have their heads so far up their asses, shit.

Yeah. In this thread we're the ones who sound like we have our head up our ass.
>>
I've had Italian food in Taiwan, and it's deplorable, since their 'spaghetti' is just dry noodles in watery tomato sauce
>>
>>953246
if you weren't being sarcastic, you'd be 100% correct
>>
There was a place called Canadian Pizza in Bangkok...terrible
Then again, Canada isn't famous for pizza.
>>
>>953037
Awesome food, I just don't get the malt vinegar on fish and chips
>>
>>953254

If you don't like malt vinegar try a spot of lemon juice.
>>
File: county-fair_2330645k.jpg (146 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
county-fair_2330645k.jpg
146 KB, 858x536
>>953249

I'm sorry but if you're American and criticising British food, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Even if you're not American, every single country has their fair share of shitty food. A lot of it depends on how it's actually cooked and I'd argue that here in the UK, the problem isn't necessarily the cuisine, but the chefs. Good food is far more expensive and less accessible here than in many other countries, I've noticed.
>>
File: laughing_scotsmen.jpg.jpg (63 KB, 634x475) Image search: [Google]
laughing_scotsmen.jpg.jpg
63 KB, 634x475
>>953275
>Deep Fired Snickers
>laughing_scotsmen.jpg
America can't even deep fry the right type of chocolate bar.
>>
>>953254
>Awesome food, I just don't get the malt vinegar on fish and chips
What's the point of vinegar if you don't put it on chips?
>>
>>953347
ITT people not from Bahhhhston who think vinegar + fried and sliced potatoes is a primarily British thing

>then again another early alimentary memory of mine is ketchup on scrambled eggs, which I now fucking hate
>ketchup, ewwwww
>>
>>953355

> tfw parents from Massachusetts
> dad puts vinegar on everything
> gets excited whenever there's vinegar near a french fry booth
> mom puts ketchup on everything
> ketchup with eggs
> ketchup with macaroni
> mfw
>>
>>953140
>it had this really thing bread it was on, I tried to lift up a slice to eat with my fingers and it was so thin it bent.
>How hard is it to get a pizza right? I didn't see one Dominos all the time I was out there so maybe someone like showed them a poloroid

Nice b8 m8. Even a mmurican can't be that retarded.
>>
>>953381
Growing up, scrambled eggs swimming in ketchup was a typical breakfast on weekends for me and my siblings. With toast and a couple strips of bacon... I don't like ketchup much nowadays, but a little squirt with scrambled eggs is OK and takes me back.
>>
Swedish living in Scotland. All food here is fat, salt and taste like shit.
>>
>>953438
Same, but living in the US. Everything is sweet, fat and processed as fuck.

I miss Arla milk. Luckily i can get meatballs and herring at Ikea.
>>
>>953469
>said the Scotsman who's been sitting on a thick English cock for 400 years.
too funny.
>>
>>953472

English cocks are thin and like throwing a cigarette into a dustbin, it's the Welsh ones that are thick. Honestly, this is /trv/ we're supposed to be knowledgeable about other cultures and peoples, don't let the side down.
>>
File: 3406984485_49fb3413b1.jpg (101 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
3406984485_49fb3413b1.jpg
101 KB, 500x375
Japan has great food in general (if a little weird). I was most impressed with a fairly famous local twist on an amerifat classic, the Sasebo Burger (佐世保バーガー). Pretty bitchin'.

Muslim countries are frustrating due to the general lack of pork, so a lot of dishes that would normally call for bacon have "veal bacon" substituted, which pretty much sucks.

As an ameriburger, it is interesting to see how small some of the portions are at American fast food chains abroad, (especially KFC).
>>
>>952892

I had American food at a "1950s diner" in Moscow.

It was fucking disgusting. Everyone felt sick afterwards.

Also, I had chinese food in the Netherlands. They had drop flavored meat, it was weeeeeird.
>>
>>952892
I lived in a small, out of the way city in Thailand (well off the tourist track) for a number of years, starting a very long time ago (back in 1990, before many of you were likely born).

At that time, in that place, Western food of any stripe was rare, very strange, very expensive compared to local food, and generally disgusting (the nearest international fast food chains were in Bangkok, an overnight train ride or more than an hour on an airplane away). All recognizable condiments (mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup, etc.) were dramatically sweeter than their US counterparts and full of different base oils (usually palm). Pizza with sugary orange sauce, pasta with ketchup, sandwiches on sweet white bread, or better yet, sweet green bread (like white bread, but flavored and colored with pandanus leaves). Cheese was hard to find, and most often resembled American processed cheese (which is not good). A prominent member of the tiny local expat scene opened a "Western" restaurant that became a favored haunt, and it was terrible. Specialized in weird sandwiches and bad hamburgers, as far as I recall. Nowadays the fast food chains are pretty much nationwide, and my old city has multiple fancy hotels with good, pricy international fare. But there are still plenty of unusual local touches--ketchup is used on pizza, the condiments are still sweeter, you can still get that nasty bread, and restaurants still serve what is usually called "American Breakfast," (white toast, sunny-side-up fried eggs, and a hot dog florette--bears absolutely no resemblance to anything I ever ate in the morning in this country).
>>
>>953381
>> mfw
yfw you have no face
>>
Brit here, when I was in Florida in the 90s I made the mistake of trying American "tea". That was a mistake.

For flavoursome tea you need to take the small budding leaves off the top of tea bushes and it needs to be from a plantation that is situated on a mountain side in the tropics as well for the best flavours too. Naturally good quality tea like that is in demand and costs a fair price (it is still reasonably priced though) however because America is unaware of this, and good tea in general, their tea manufacturers buy in the cheapest teas they can to maximise profits.

This results in them using flavourless tannin heavy leaves from low down on the bush, stalks and the sweepings of the tea plantation floor, bulked up with woodshavings. The horrid American "Tea" (or rather "wood and mouse dropping infusion") is then brewed at coffee temperature (about 20-30 degrees Celsius than it should be) in water that has been sitting at that temperature for hours and lost nearly all of it's free oxygen.

This results in a near flavourless yellow liquid, usually served with full fat milk (also pig disgusting, tea must be served with skimmed milk if using milk at all to preserve the individual delicate flavours of the blend) and leaves your mouth dry rather than being refreshing and rehydrating.

I got asked to leave a diner once in the states after sampling their tea and loudly proclaiming "what the fuck is this shit!" before marching up to the counter and demanding a real cup of tea. It was a sorry state of affairs for the country that invented the tea bag to get itself into.

I haven't been to America for 15 years, mainly because I need to be able to get a decent cup of tea at least 5 times a day to function, but I hear it is getting easier to get a passable cup of tea there these days (although not in coffee shops because they still use the water from their coffee machines to make it which is too cold to brew tea correctly).
>>
>>953651
I wonder what you think of the tea in Tibet.
>>
>>953651
If this isn't bait/pasta then you're one hell of an autist.
>>
File: 1307962462458.png (72 KB, 212x210) Image search: [Google]
1307962462458.png
72 KB, 212x210
>>953651
>>
>>953651
>mainly because I need to be able to get a decent cup of tea at least 5 times a day to function

would've probably bought it until this point
>>
>>953037
>Implying Australians don't do pie, fish n chips, sauso's or roast better than britbongs.

jej you fucking casual
>>
File: kfc china.jpg (56 KB, 645x542) Image search: [Google]
kfc china.jpg
56 KB, 645x542
Foreign versions of fast food restaurants are always worth a stop, to me, not because HUR NEED MUH USULE FUD but ofr the opposite reason -- to see what weird shit these foreign devils have done with the menu.

Rest of the world gets much better Pizza Hut than we get in America, but the McArabia Chicken Sandwich is appallingly bad.
>>
>>953832
Pizza Hut in foreign countries is about on par with an Applebee's or something, as far as it's tier.
>>
>>953830
Even Aussies don't get the chips right, in my experience. The fish was nicer though.
>>
File: pizza.jpg (113 KB, 528x407) Image search: [Google]
pizza.jpg
113 KB, 528x407
>>953834
But LOOK at this crazy shit!!!!
>>
>>953203
>>953211
hmm, I'll have to check that out if I find my self in those places.
>>
File: chicken balti Pie.jpg (2 MB, 1772x1137) Image search: [Google]
chicken balti Pie.jpg
2 MB, 1772x1137
>>953830
>The Balti pie was invented in Britain
This alone proves Britain can do pies and fusion food better than the Aussies.
>>
>>953856
Is this supposed to be appetizing? Looks like dog vomit in a pie shell.
>>
>>953868
Then the illusion is compete.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.