[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Luggage thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I'm heading out to Europe in June and it just struck me I have no idea what to take or how much so how about a luggage thread

>your last trip
>what you packed
>what did you not need
>what did you forget

Since this is a slow board let this be a thread for anons to recommend things to pack for other anons

>Australia
Killer bugs and stuff are overrated, don't think too much about nets, a pair of thongs (sandals?) can be bought for cheap and will most likely be what you wear across the country unless you go inland. Shorts and shirts will be your bread and butter if you come anytime outside of winter, if you come in winter shorts and shirts with a singlet underneath will do.
>>
Where exactly in Europe are you planning to go?
>>
>>952629
UK France Netherlands Belgium Germoney Sweden Austria Italy Switzerland

One round trip in about 1.5 months
>>
>>952641
Whatever you plan on visiting, don't come to Brussels more than a day, don't come here at all, it's not worth it.
>>
File: img_7835[1].jpg (68 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
img_7835[1].jpg
68 KB, 640x427
bumping for interest.
>>
File: RedOxx-stuffed-lg.jpg (311 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
RedOxx-stuffed-lg.jpg
311 KB, 1280x960
>>952624

Wherever you go, whatever you pack - Red Oxx bags are the way to go.
>>
> early May 2014 to end of September, 2014
> home, NYC, Iceland, UK, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkey, UAE, India (mostly hitchhiked through Europe), NYC, home

> two pairs of jeans, a pair of dress pants, a couple t-shirts, a long sleeve shirt, one or two pairs of shorts, socks, underwear
> camera
> toothbrush and general toiletries
> a journal
> tent and sleeping bag

> only brought the basics
> needed everything I had with me
> eventually bought a prepaid phone when I go to India

> fucking ground pad
> froze my ass off in Iceland because I was a retard and didn't think to bring a fucking ground pad

Otherwise I was fine. I've taken another trip to India from late November until early January, but I stayed mostly in New Delhi and packed more things than I normally would have. I typically go as light as possible.
>>
>>952647
Why?
>>
>>952771
Any post on /trv/ about any destination will most likely elicit a post from somebody saying don't go there, it is terrible-- and this post will most likely come from somebody who lives there. Disregard, it's just "grass is always greener" stuff.
>>
>your last trip
Dubai to work a festival, art of their big January "Shopping Festival" promotion.

>what you packed
Other than gear for the festival, clothes, the Pharmacy, personal electronics, all the usual? Not much. Just there for a week.

>what did you not need
Not need that I packed? Nothing.

>what did you forget
A jacket, was chilly once the sun went down.
A plug adapter, luckily the hotel had a few outlets that handled a variety of plugs.

>>952693
>Red Ox bads are the way to go
Why? Genuinely interested -- the bag I have used for years is no longer made, and I tend to burn through bags.
>>
>>952624
>your last trip
Ecuador
>what you packed
had a free extra bag, so a lot
a lot of presents (alcohol and chocolates (i am from germany)) for ecuadorian friends, a lot of clothes
>what did you not need
so many clothes
>what did you forget
a present...

pretty boring i know
>>
>>952812
Ah I see, thanks
>>
>952624
>your last trip
Las Vegas for the Adult Entertainment Expo. Got to meet Hitomi Tanaka.

>what you packed
5 days worth of clothes, even though I was there 4. Use a Samsung Galaxy S5 for phone, camera, and GPS.

>what did you not need
Med bag, but I bring it anyway.

>what did you forget
Aftershave, but CVS had it.

>your last trip before that
Amsterdam and Iceland, week in each.

>what you packed
7 days worth of clothing, did laundry on the last day in Amsterdam.

>what did you not need
Nothing. I pack very light.

>what did you forget
New inserts for my boots. Had to pick up a new set at a sports store in Amsterdam.
>>
>>952693
I'm a fan of the Osprey Farpoint 40, since I only do carry-ons.
>>
>>952624

Assume you are a USA, anon? Where are you from? Depending on that - Europe is barely even a foreign country for a yankfag. You're going to very easy 1st world, non-exciting places.

Clotheswise, just pack what you would for any week away. Any shower or hair or food crap you can buy here. You're going to want a travel adaptor for your electronics but that's about if for special equipment.

Just stand on the right on the escalator in London underground and you won't even get killed or anything.
>>
>>952771
>>952812
Sorry man, but Brussels truly is a dissapointing shithole. There is absolutely nothing worth to see here (our country is younger than the US and so is our capital, there is very few history), and the few things there are to see you could easily do in less than a day. I guess it's OK if you're touring around Europe, but it's really not worth it spending more than one night and two days here.
Do Bruges instead.
>>
>>952949
When I was in BrĂ¼ssel I enjoyed the center place and eating fries and especially waffles was awesome.
Furthermore one can visit the Atomium and some EU institution.
I spent 3 days in BrĂ¼ssel and enjoyed it much more than i thought I would.
>>
>>952949
Yeah Bruges was the stop and I considered adding Brussels but I've heard nothing but meh from Internet and friends so I guess I'll skip
>>
>>952919
Looks nice, what do you think of the larger variants?
>>
>>952949
Every time...
>>
>>953163
So is it good or nah
>>
>your last trip
Dec2014-Jan2015
Japan Tohoku (Tokyo, Sendai, Aomori, Akita, Niigata, Nagano) 20days, Winter (as low as -8C)

>what you packed
basic stuff like 2 jeans, 3 drifit jerseys, 1 short pants, winter long jacket, face mask, glove, long john, bunch undies, minimal toiletries, travel towel, camera (full frame and 2 lens)
all into Osprey 38L bag. some instant noodles and cereal. My aim was to have my bag pass as handcarry into plane.

>what did you not need
pretty much trimmed down what i dont need.
i wish that my camera can use usb charger, as the batt charger is huge

>what did you forget
none. dispensable stuff can be bought at supermarket

i carry minimal as i move from place to place often, and on foot/public transport. so i need to keep size n weight down despite winter. so i need to do laundry every 3days.

I moved from a 50L packer to 38L.
Snowboard gears, i go rental stuff (its expensive, but i really need to keep weight down)
>>
>>953271
>38L
All that fit and to think I was considering an 80L
>>
>>953358
it fits because i actually have my winter jacket worn most the time or tied it to my hips when indoors.

try not to go too big if possible.. spend some time reading tips on weight reduction by using multipurpose tool and toned down stuff.. for example travel towel.. its thin and microfiber thus it saves space and dry fast.

would be best if you have friends that have various size of backpack so you can do mock packing on basic item (stuff like tshirts, you can consider buy and throw on your way during traveling)
>>
File: 20140428_031226.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20140428_031226.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
Slightly off topic but my mother gave me this pretty cool piece of luggage. I don't want to use it and ruin it because it's a nice piece that was handed down but I also don't want to stuff it into a closest forever.
>>
>Trip to Mexico
>Clothes, entertainment (Half the days worth of pants and shirts, 2/3 pairs of shoes, a pair of briefs and socks for each day)
>The amount of entertainment I brought
>I left my wallet in Mexico, unfortunately, nothing on the trip to Mexico though.
>>
>>953535
I just got back yesterday
>>
>>953535
>left my wallet in Mexico

Shit, how's that going for you? License here in Australia costs like $200 alone so I'd be spewing if I lost it
>>
>>953267
well im from vienna and visited most of the major european city and i would say its a nice city for 1 or 2 days. nothing special but not a shithole at all. so if youre already nearby go there for 1 night.
>>
>>953643
It costs like $30 to replace a license in california, australia is gay as hell
>>
>>953643
It's going alright. We stayed with "family" ("" because it's through marriage, not blood), but they're going to ship it all back to me.
>>
>>954252
At least we're not gommunists
>>
>your last trip
Australia (still there)

>what you packed
EVERYTHING, l

>what did you not need
like half the stuff, gonna charity shop a load and try to cut down

>what did you forget
insect repellent
Nalgene
towel
>>
>>952624
weekend in Paris
brought some spare clothes like just some fresh underwear and an extra sweater
all I needed
:)
>>
>>955232
>insect repellent

lol if you don't bring that here you'll spend your nights slapping the air
>>
>Europe in April 2014
>I used a day pack with 2 jeans, 4 tees and shirts, and the rest of the stuff.
>I didn't overpack. I was struggling with space tho... I didn't have too much free room for things I bought in the way
>CONDOMS, OH GOD CONDOMS. Lost my chance with a girl because I couldn't find a 24/7 store in Amsterdam. Also plug adapters, but ended up buying them on the way.
>>
>>955922
I know, I reckon I have close to 100 mosquito and fly bites from the knee down plus another like 20 around my elbows and arms

FML
>>
>>952624
>fine clothes is must for Europe nightlife.
>>
>>953534
>Slightly off topic but my mother gave me this pretty cool piece of luggage. I don't want to use it and ruin it because it's a nice piece that was handed down but I also don't want to stuff it into a closest forever.
This is for local trips, roadtrips, hotel stays for a wedding of a friend, weekend getaway. This isn't a checked bag, nor is it a carryon.
It also makes you a target, to have something like this among 100s of passengers and such in an airport. So, yea, enjoy it next time you want to make a splash, but don't let the "not using it" crap make you use it for something it isn't meant for...like modern air travel, long concourses, traveling on and off train platforms, etc. It's from the day of porters and bell boys who carry for you, and you care how you look to others, so you get treated better. Nowadays, you keep a low profile unless you are a rapper. And, you reserve this stuff for your own enjoyment for little outings. If it was brand new, and not a hand-me-down, it'd have a protective fabric outer casing for dust, moisture and scuffs.
>>
>no idea what to take or how much so how about a luggage thread
For 5-10 day trips, I usually pack 5 outfits with mix n match abilities. And then whatever else fits in my 4wheel medium bag, and small underseat sized backpack or carry on that stacks on my bag. I will include a full set of undergarments, like tanks, if warm and I might sweat. I don't like to do laundry. Gotta have some dressier slacks for restaurants and churches, so I will only take 1 pair of jeans, and those will be dark rinse. Weather dictates 1-2 layers for rain and colder breezes at night, or else a full 3-in-1 style parka. The hardest thing for me to pack is shoes, since I have large feet, need soo much room if I want choices.
>>
>>955930
>CONDOMS, OH GOD CONDOMS. Lost my chance with a girl because I couldn't find a 24/7 store in Amsterdam.
24/7 stores are uncommon here in the Netherlands (don't think I've ever saw one) but you could try a manned petrol station (although those are usually only next to highways now) or some bar. Or the Red Light District.
>>
>>953139
About the same. The reason I like the 40 is that it's carry-on on pretty much every airline, and I only do carry-on.
>>
>>953358
You can pretty much get away with 40L or less, as long as you don't mind doing laundry. I've yet to go to a place I can't either get laundry done or do it myself.
>>
Here is the deal, most minimalist packing guides need to be taken with a grain of salt. Figure out what clothes you need for 5 to 7 days, be willing to wear the same pants for most of those days, and be willing to do laundry. The number of people that can travel for months on end with a week worth of clothing is not really that amazing. You've just got to realize you aren't going to be eating at a Morton's or Sweetings most nights, and if you are you can afford to travel with more then one piece of luggage. For us cheap bastards that don't have a man servant, a rucksack filled with your stuff will do just fine.
>>
>>956071
Mostly agree. The issue with a second bag isn't the manservant, however, simply hassle. If you pop into a new town every couple of nights, you don't enjoy living out of more than a bag or two, going up stairs vs elevators, rough cobblestone streets with excessive weight to lug around clumsyish, lifting that bag overhead on a train, a place you can eye it from theivery, instead back near the car exit door in a carousel out of the line of your sight. It's simply a matter of convenience. If you're living out of a rental car, of course it's be different how much crap you have.
I personally have some shoulder muscle/neck issue where I don't want ANY weight on my shoulders or back, let alone added to my feet. I prefer a spinner bag I can push forward with one hand in front or to the side of me, and not a large one. If needed, I can grab a handle and carry my two bags evenly between both hands. It'll be light. But if I was cruising or staying exactly in one place? Hell yea I'd have a checked bag with all I want and need, and unpack once. Depends on the trip.
>>
File: 1375041098366.jpg (474 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1375041098366.jpg
474 KB, 1920x1080
>>952624
Picked up an Osprey 45 for recent trip and have to say I am pretty impressed for a grab and go back .. though they are a bit pricey, the quality is awesome. though be warned they revamped their design about a year ago and the ones you find for cheap on ebay are the OOOld style and are not as nice.. if your only going a few weeks or less the porter is great, I've done four months before through Europe though and went with a full sized Arc'teryx which was about the same price as the porter but could haul 100 lbs and never even feel it..
>>
>Last trip
Three weeks in Japan, December-January this year.

>what you packed
Clothes: two pair of jeans, one track jacket, one knit sweater, a softshell uniform jacket with a removable liner, five t-shirts, 6 pairs of underwear, a scarf, six pairs of socks, one pair of desert boots and one pair of running sneakers
Gear: laptop (it's only 1.3kg), DSLR, 3DS, smartphone, chargers for all
Bag: just a standard roll-on, one that fits neatly into an overhead compartment and a messenger bag to keep the computer and camera in during the flight
Basic toiletries and stuff too.

>what did you not need
The jacket liner. That got dumped in a hostel in Tokyo when I was leaving to go to Kyoto. Probably didn't need as many shirts or two sweaters but it wasn't bad.

>what did you forget
Gloves would have been nice but it really wasn't that cold all the time. I also would have swapped the boots for loafers since I was taking them on and off all the time.

On the way back I had another bag full of shit though, I brought one of those collapsible ones and filled it with books and other weeb shit. JAL lets you have two checked bags for free so it wasn't that much of a hindrance. I threw out all the socks by the end and two of the t-shirts but had bought two new ones and a pair of lounge pants. I'd probably pack about the same for any other trip of that length.
>>
>>953534

That thing is heinous
>>
>>952624
Bring a toothpaste and brush plus perfume. If you stay at a nice hotel you should have the shampoo and soap.
>>
>>953534
sell it and use the money to travel
>>
>>956469
How about hostel
>>
>>954252
>australia is gay as hell
we have incredibly bad government here, almost as bad as the USA.
>On topic, slightly. I'm looking at buying a
checkable hardcase bag for my trip through europe in a few weeks.
Any suggestions?
>>
>>952919
>>956069
just done a month in Indonesia with the farpoint 40

can't fault it
>>
>>952624
I'm traveling to UK via Norwegian airline. I'm traveling with just a carry on and my dimensions for the flight in inches are 21.65x15.74x9.

Right now I just have a Jansport backsack but I was considering something like this:
http://shop.herschelsupply.com/collections/duffle/products/keats-duffle-navy-red

I'm not a fan of stereotypical luggage with wheels because of the added weight and bulkiness.
I prefer something with straps to keep on my back or a single to wear across my chest.

I plan on packing:
1 Scrapbook
1 Teddy bear
1 Pair of Khakis
1 Pullover
1 Long sleeve shirt
1 Flannel button down
2 Short sleeve shirts
1 Cup Bra
1 Sports Bra
5 Pairs of Undies
5 Pairs of Socks
1 Pair of Timberlands
1 Plug Adapter 150+ Countries
1 Mac Book Pro + charger
1 REI Multi Towel (Just in case)
1 Mini Padlock (For storage in cities)
3 GoToobs (3 oz)
A. Dr. Bronners Magic Soap (All-In-1 Soap/Shampoo)
B. Summers Eve (Vaginal soap)
C. Sunscreen
1 First Aid kit

For my personal item on the plane, I have a classic Coach satchel (http://images0.chictopia.com/photos/twinhearts/7463848776/brown-vintage-coach-bag_400.jpg) that will include:
Wallet (ID)
Bank Card with chip
Passport
USD (to convert later)
Pounds (already converted)
Lipstick
iPhone 5c + charger
iPad Mini
Travel documents
Nuts and raisins
Toothbrush
Amidoingitrite?
>>
check this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6DE3GOXM9o
>>
File: rayban_backpack.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
rayban_backpack.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I'm planning on spending about a month or so in Ukraine at the end of this summer. I am only bringing this small rebadged ray ban backpack, pic related.

Clothing:
1 military surplus shirt jacket [very light]
1 high end merino wool / cotton blend shirt
1 thrift store plaid beater shirt
1 light rain jacket with hood that stows within itself
1 light sweater
4 to 5 t-shirts [inc 1 tank top]
1 pair of fast drying outdoors style pants
1 pair of ultra light 5oz selvedge denim
1 pair of regular denim, 11oz
1 par of shorts
1 pair of shoes, considering seeing if there is room for a pair of sneakers

Other accessories:
leather belt
2 silk bandans
Apple Watch
leather cardholder
1 pair of sunglasses
1 light beanie
~5 pairs of socks & briefs in a laundry bag
a small travel towel to strap outside of bag
dopp kit [soap, lotion, toothbrush, hair product, razor]
nasa blanket [stores flat]
rubber band clothesline
mini lint roller
usb battery

I have spent weeks backpacking the American frontier so I have a good idea of how little I need. It feels like a lot of clothing to be honest, I've never carried that much on trail, but since I don't have to carry food, a tent, pots, ect I have much more room. I pre packed it to gauge space and it fits yet is very light. My clothing for the most part is rather expensive so I hand wash it anyway. I also have shemagh that I tie around my backpack so the pockets and zips are inaccessible to pick pockets. If I'm in a really touristy area I can tie my thrift plaid around my waist, then my back pockets are protected. All of my clothes are the same color pallet and match everything else I am bringing for the most options.

cont'd
>>
>>959532

Since I am only carrying a single backpack, that allows me another carry-on yet still. I am going to take advantage of that and bring a recyclable tote bag to bring for the plain ride.

Disposable tote:
-1 book [to be finished on the plane]
-snacks & sandwiches so I don't have to eat airplane shit
-based upon my doc kit supplies [liquids], I think I still have room to fit about 8 shooters [7 vodka, 1 vermouth] and a small 3 oz jar of olive juices. That way I can drink dirty martinis the whole flight. If I can't fit all the vodka I want there is also a duty free shop at the airport I'm leaving out of.
-a lime or two
-plastic martini cups x2 [for friend, he will quart his own liquor]

My travel buddy is going to bring a weed vape, you can carry those through TSA with no issues in my experience. The airport we are leaving from explicitly allows vaping. So we will each consume an edible before going through security, then we'll have a small latte maybe and vape more dope waiting for the plane. You can also vape on the plane if you have a window seat or blanket [nasa blanket, also for sleeping on trains]. We will probably land in Kiev and then head west for a week or so and then come back to Kiev or other regions for a couple weeks.

Anything else I should include? I didn't include all the details of my dopp kit, assume that's adequate. Wondering if a pair of sneakers is required.
>>
>tfw United Airlines mangles your luggage

US Northeast -> US Midwest
dress clothes, casual clothes, pajamas, essentials (underwear + socks, casual shoes)
(wore leather dress boots + winter jacket)
>didn't really need all the grooming shit I bought but sometimes I do
>a fucking nail trimmer of all things

Just generally you can get away without quite a bit but I travel every week and tend to go a bit heavy. Essentials I've forgotten in recent memory in order of how critical they are:
>underwear
I follow a rule of n days travel + 2 pairs. It may seem excessive, but I like having a clean pair and you'll never know when you need them.
>nail clippers
They tend to get taken out of my bag and not replaced. You don't want to be a dirty hobo.
>razor
This is generally one of those items a hotel will give you for free but not a good one. I have a dedicated Gilette Fusion for travel and I generally use a braun safety razor. I personally prefer a hipster double edge razor for shaving but as a carry-on only when possible guy, I do what I can when I travel and make sacrifices.
>>
File: luggage.jpg (890 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
luggage.jpg
890 KB, 3264x2448
>>959939 here
forgot image

>>959534
It's illegal per FAA regulations to consume alcohol on a plane that hasn't been served by a flight attendant, that said it's hard to get caught if you're not retarded. Don't whip out minis and go WHOOP WHOOP CHEERS SHOTS and you're fine. This is assuming you're on a USA based airline. Otherwise you're probably fine anyways.

A spare pair of footwear is always good.
>>
>>959534
>My travel buddy is going to bring a weed vape, you can carry those through TSA with no issues in my experience. The airport we are leaving from explicitly allows vaping. So we will each consume an edible before going through security, then we'll have a small latte maybe and vape more dope waiting for the plane. You can also vape on the plane if you have a window seat or blanket [nasa blanket, also for sleeping on trains].
Where in the fuck can you do this? How glorious
>>
lufthansa, swiss. turkish airlines check-in agent here monitoring thread.
>>
>>956015
Except for Berlin, where fine clothes would be considered a hindrance
>>
>>960471
Miles'n'More Senator here. Feels good to use first class check-in and have huge baggage load limits.
>>
I'm flying back to Europe soon, I'm in the US right now. I bought a screwdriver set while here, and stuff like toothpaste, bottle opener, razors, etc.
I know I can't bring any of that on-board, and Google always spits out ten billion results for on-board luggage, but what about the checked in luggage???? I won't bring the tooth paste and the disposable razors, I have a good razor at home and enough tooth paste, but it would be nice to keep the bottle opener and the screwdrivers, can I put them in the checked in luggage? How likely is it they will search my luggage once they see there's something sharp, metal-ish like a screwdriver in my luggage? On my way to the US, my luggage didn't get searched, but i also didn't have any sharp or metal objects in it, I think.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.