[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's that one place that you absolutely loved in every
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 10
File: 1423111471778.jpg (230 KB, 487x540) Image search: [Google]
1423111471778.jpg
230 KB, 487x540
what's that one place that you absolutely loved in every single way and was worth every single penny?
>>
>>950633

Hong Kong
>>
Cambodia
>>
Mantova
Tbilisi (and Georgia in general)
>>
what did you like in georgia ?

i had very bad experience there at least.

-> budapest
>>
Istanbul
>>
>>950633
Bahrain
>>
>>950633
Hanoi
>>
NYC
>>
>>950633
my basement
>>
Seconding HK. Also Japan (srsly). Munich. New Zealand.
>>
Barcelona
>>
Costa Rica

Savannah/Charleston
>>
>>950659
this
>>
Thailand. Really developed me. I was there 10 days.
>>
London
>>
File: IMG_20140629_113230.jpg (346 KB, 1153x865) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140629_113230.jpg
346 KB, 1153x865
The Lake District. I worked up there for 6 months once and I never got tired of the drive. I still hike up the mountains regularly, camp during the summer, rent a boat for the day once a year and go sledging there during the winter. It's the closest travel destination I have to home (30 mins away), but it still beats out everywhere else I've been.

Wisconsin, Montana, Utah etc. were all stunning and had even more amazing natural sights than the Lakes, but if I had to choose just one, the Lakes would win. Nothing beats a hike that ends at an old country pub with a roaring fire.
>>
>>950678
>Georgia
talk to me
>>
I've been to a lot of places and had a pile of letdowns, but 2 relatively non-Real Traveler spots always do it for me:

1) Boston, a short and cheap flight from where I live and near where I grew up
2) Dublin, a short and cheap flight from Boston and yes very touristy and expensive, but somehow always a good time.
>>
File: 1420974792061.png (88 KB, 300x364) Image search: [Google]
1420974792061.png
88 KB, 300x364
>>950872
As an English guy I always worry that London doesn't live up to foreign travellers expectations. Could you, or anyone else who has been there tell me what you liked/ didn't like about it?

Maybe it's just because I'm used to it but it doesn't seem so special compared to Rome or New York etc.
>>
>>950951
Odd, as a Yank I don't feel anything special about New York.
>>
>>950916
I've been up Sca Fell three times now and it makes the 8 hour return drive worth it when I get back to the Wasdale Head and have that first sip of a pint by the fire. Literally the definition of comfy.
>>
>>950953
Ah, so we must just be desensitised to it? Interesting.
>>
>>950951
Not the same guy, but as a froggie I think London is cool.
I can get why Brits are jaded about it though, and I wouldn't put it on the top of my list I guess, but I have a good time there every time I go.
Also, all the people I know who went there say the same.
>>
Anywhere in the world? I really liked Kyoto both times i've been there.

I can second thailand as well.
>>
File: lounge%20bar.jpg (48 KB, 448x299) Image search: [Google]
lounge%20bar.jpg
48 KB, 448x299
>>950954
Hell yeah. I've only done Sca Fell Pike once, it was 0 visibility on top and I tripped and hurt my knee on a rock. Was swollen to the size of a tennis ball by the time I got down and I could barely walk for a week after. Was meaning to redo it this last year, but it's just inconveniently placed so I never got around to it. Not much further away on a map than somewhere like Grasmere, but it's so inaccessible by road that it ends up taking over an hour extra to get to.

If you didn't already know, there's an /out/ uk group that has had a couple of meetups in the last year. I'm guessing with that sort of drive you're darrrn sarrth? They did a Dartmoor trip close to this time last year.
>>
>worth every single penny

A FKK club in Germany.
>>
File: DSC_0007.jpg (3 MB, 3920x2940) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0007.jpg
3 MB, 3920x2940
>>951040
East Anglia, my friend. The /out/ings I've seen so far have managed to coincide with work/social stuff but I want to go to one eventually.

And yeah, that tiny one-car-at-a-time road with sheep all over it makes it a little pain to get to Wasdale but imo it's worth it as I usually spend three nights in the campsite opposite the inn over a long weekend. Spend the days walking around and the obligatory ascent of Sca Fell Pike.

Pic is taken from that road, of Wastwater Lake.
>>
>>951052
Is that a brothel?
>>
>>951125
Brothel doesn't even begin to describe it. At FKK, you are king for a day.
>>
>>950956
When I lived near DC, I got tired of seeing the Washington Monument, the White House, and all that.
>>
>>951128
How expensive are we talking? Story?
>>
>>951133
Look up the best FKK clubs in Germany. Such as Oase in Frankfurt, Artemis in Berlin.

tl;rd is that they are brothels, but it's fully legal in Germany. They are large spa/sauna type of facilities. The difference is the addition of loads of young hot naked girls walking around that try to entice you into sex.

Strike a conversation with a naked hottie, then go to a private room, do whatever you want to her, pay. Repeat. It doesn't get much better than that.

60-100eur for entrance. Includes use of facilities and food/drinks. Session with a prostitute is up to negotiation, but anywhere from 50eur of basic sex to several hundred e for all different extras and acts you can think of (two girls, anal, dress up in a clown suit, whatever)
>>
>>951138
>dress up in a clown suit
I LOL'd, no lie.
>>
>>951138
Interesting. That's been added to the bucket list.
>>
>>951145
Germany is pretty much god tier when it comes to sex tourism. Legal brothels, easily available, AND perfect deniability. If you are going to Thailand or Holland, everyone will say "sextourislol". But with Germany, you can say you will go there to experience the culture, sights, castles, nature, food, whatever. Nobody will think that you are going to Germany for sex, even though they have just about the best brothels in the world.
>>
>>951153
>>951138
This reminds me of another answer. Spain. Had my first prostitute there. Also banged some Spanish chicks in Andalucia. Was there during carnival season. As a matter of fact it's a year to the day I flew to Spain. I don't know why I didn't thin of it before. I was literally just skyping with one of the chicks.

My first one was:

>>950687
>>
>>951131
I was in DC like 10 days ago. Pretty good time tbh.

It's just weird how we get used to things people will literally traverse the globe to see.
>>
>>951153
Serious? I've been to the German countryside before but maybe it's time to visit the cities. Cheers for the info.
>>
>>951168
Just to let you know, most hookers in FKK clubs these days are from eastern Europe. That's of course not a bad thing, many of them are really hot. But German/western girls are a minority. In a German FKK club maybe 80% of girls are from Romania/Poland/Hungary/etc.
>>
>>951169
Not a big deal to me personally. It was like that in Amsterdam.
>>
>>950678

Georgia here as well
>>
>>950633
Edinburgh
>>
>>950678
>>950679
>>950946
>>951184
What's with Georgia always popping up without any explanation why or why not?
>>
>>951357
Real travel, basically. I bet its hella lame there. I heard they have a wine country or some shit, but honestly its just obscure yet accessible so people want to name drop
>>
>>951357
There wqs a pretty big Georgia thread on here not to long ago
>>
>>950659
So much this. Central is the shit.
>>
>>951357
Georgia Tourist Board shills
>>
>>951361
>accessible
buddy worked at the embassy there. when i looked at flights to visit him from the east coast, they were always over 2 grand. maybe they're cheaper now (im too lazy to look) and maybe 2 grand counts as accessible to others
>>
kyrgyzstan. greatest country in the world.
>>
>>951361
Reasons why I loved Georgia
>extremely varied scenery & wildlife
>hiking & mountaineering
>culture
>wine, chacha and food
>hospitality up there
>all for no money, and flights are €200-300

It's full of Polish people somehow, but whatever you like, it's there. So yeah, I'm going back to climb some more mountains later this year.
>>
>>952317
>It's full of Polish people somehow
Pretty simple to explain. Cheap flights from Poland, even for Poles the food and accommodation is cheap there, the food is bland(while still pretty good in some cases) which Poles are accustomed to, and finally many are afraid of going far from their comfort zone so they travel to a place like Georgia which doesn't seem "that" foreign.

But mostly for the prices. Young Poles don't have money, they only go to places that are super cheap.
>>
>>952348
I figured Wizz Air was to blame. Also, what's with Poles being monolingual? Over half of them didn't seem to speak anything other than Polish, and maybe a handful of Russian or English words.
>>
File: $_12.jpg (28 KB, 500x314) Image search: [Google]
$_12.jpg
28 KB, 500x314
>>950678
>>951357

I have a hard time believing georgia is any fun. Ive only ever interacted with their soldiers and they are turboniggers that steal everything and have a weird fetish for white bread.
>>
>>950950
Man, I live in Dublin, I never even realised it was touristy. I guess, there's a lot of Leprechaun shops around, and the culture has sort of come to this, ah Parnell! our dead King!
>>
>>952461 McBro, I'm the guy who said it was touristy and I meant it more in the sense that it's "beginner level travel" by this board's sensibilities. Then again, you remember The Gathering.

>I promise I'm not a plastic paddy, please don't mock me. One of yours is coming over here next month and I'm gonna hit that again.
>>
>>952472
>the gathering
I remember a few more US accents on the streets for sure, some Irish people got very excited about it though, my aunts' turned out to be related to an actor of minor Hollywood fame whose name I totally fucking forgot after hearing it for the first time lmao. Anyway he turned up at their house and was really charming and my cousins went all tribal like, 'Ah look wudja believe it at all at all a big-town Hollywood actor in our little teach ah well jaysus you couldn't have made up a stranger story.' It was pretty stupid, even when they told the story they painted themselves as the small ones, honestly I stopped listening to the radio or reading the news because for the last two decades the Irish people have just satirized themselves in spades.

And yeah Ireland is pretty touristy from street to street, the people are shitty, there's a lot of junkies around, not much to do except drink unless you're very interested in the literature or history, a lot of leprechaun and 'kiss me I'm Irish' sort of shops around. Some of the country cities like Galway and Cork can be good, and I know there's a few good galleries and exhibitions in Dublin, and if you're interested in film or music there are a few festivals on every year if you look. To be honest I don't understand the appeal of traveling here at all, unless you are interested in the fairy tales and cultures there is nothing but a few subpar and touristy cities with an alright pub crawl and some sheep farmers. Romantic Ireland's dead and gone my lad.
>>
File: connolly.jpg (181 KB, 540x352) Image search: [Google]
connolly.jpg
181 KB, 540x352
>>952590
>not much to do except drink unless...
...you're trying to install communism

(or get shot to death in an easily avoided road block ambush, kek, sorry Big Fella)
>>
>>952707
>communism
>i dont know what im saying
>>
>>952717
What did I not know? Connolly was a Marxist.

The Collins joke was just an aside since he was a rightist.
>>
>>952732
I thought you were saying the whole nationalist movement was communist because I associate the literary revival with the nationalist movement lmao, a misunderstanding
>>
>>952472
>The Gathering
Oh shit, did that work?
>>
File: vinter 004.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
vinter 004.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>950633

Sweden.
Pic very related
>>
>>950633
Your mums house. Worth every cent
>>
>>950659
>>950827
>>952295

why did you enjoy it so much and was there plenty of lang loi?
>>
>>952461
I was in Dublin years ago...do they still have women pushing around prams filled with veggies for sale?
>>
north shore of Kauai is nice in the summertime.

(but in the wintertime it rains every day)
>>
>>950633
Vik, Iceland. One of my favorite places in the world. Kowloon, Hong Kong is another one as well.
>>
>>950633
the galapagos, the visit was amazing and worth all the hoops to jump through to get a pass to go on the islands
>>
>>952903
lmao yes, good old Moore street. Those women are actually very nice if you buy something from them.
>>
>>950953
that's because New York is a shithole
>>
>>950633
finland <3
but I was only there for the summer
>>
>>951123
You should try walking it from Seathwaite. Adds a bit to the journey, but its all the more worth it I'd say
>>
>>950633
A month on Koh Chang. Stayed on White Sand Beach.
>>
>>950659
Another one for HK
>>
>>952840
A civilized China that can into English with the best food in the world, plenty to see, Macau across the bay.
>>
>>953063

really? I'm a bit surprised.

It is nice, but the bland food makes it a place I don't plan on visiting ever again.
>>
>>950683
This. Rome was also pretty nice.
>>
>>953063
Where were you in Finland? I quess you where somewhere in the north or in Helsinki?

Regards a Finnish guy.
>>
Nice, France. Touristy enough to make you feel like you're on vacation, but normal enough that you could just go out and explore and not get Jewed by street people. Food is great, and people are so relaxed.
Also, the area of Austria/Germany near Neuschwanstein. So beautiful. I need to go back in the summer and just some time alone in the hills.
And Prague. Very pretty and cheap.
>>
>>953798
Got any recommendations for Prague? Will pay a visit in May for a couple of days.

Btw if you got any question about south Germany, feel free to ask!
t. Bavarian
>>
>>954102
Why can't you speak German properly?
>>
Morocco was easily the best place I've traveled to. I had a friend who's dad was a teacher and moved to teach abroad in Casablanca, and my mom and I went on a trip to visit them. We stayed a night in Casablanca with them, then my friend and his mom, who was also good friends with my mom, came on a tour around the southern part of the country with us.

It was a guided tour with just the four of us and a guide, so we didn't get the "raw" experience of traveling alone but we got to see a lot of the culture without ever getting lost. The best part of the trip was riding camels out into the desert, and camping out there with some Bedouins. They were our guide's "friends," but I'm sure they were getting paid by the tour company. We all sat around a fire drinking mint tea, while the Bedouins played the drums and sang folk music for us.

Everywhere we went there were comfortable accommodations with immaculate views, and I would go again in a heart beat if there weren't so many other places I want to see.
>>
>>954111 trips of truth right here
why can't the beautiful people speak beautiful German?
>>
>>953787
helsinki for the weekends music festival, it was in august. I went with one of my friends from college and people we talked to at the festival were alll bros

What I like about sweeden/finland is the cute buildings and small pedestrian streets.

Plus the large amount of white people is nice.
>>
>>951169
>80% of girls are from Romania/Poland/Hungary/etc
That's true of Private movies, so I'm ok with this.
>>
Vancouver for me, I love how you can drive 10-15 minutes out of a major city and be in the middle of nature.

One place I wish had a money back guarantee from was Rome, worst place I've been by far.
>>
>>950659
Just booked up to go to China last night. I arrive in Beijing and depart from Hong Kong was hoping to spend at least 5 days in HK (out of 15) is this enough?

Also, Kyoto!
>>
Dominica
>>
File: P1040385.jpg (6 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
P1040385.jpg
6 MB, 4608x3456
Iceland. Was there last spring, weather was still very snowy and wintery, which is very different from anyplace I've ever lived. Was just beautiful, had good luck with the Northern Lights, didn't have to eat the shark poop surprise, and everybody I met was very friendly -- that last maybe an advantage of being there before the tourist season got rolling and everybody had a chance to get sick f us.

>Worth every penny

And I still say that even though wound up spending a lot of pennies -- Iceland ain't cheap.
>>
>>952917
Second. Was extraordinary, and a few days spent in Quito were also time well spent.
>>
>>950951
Not sure what people are expecting when they go to London. It's a big city, i's got all the historic stuff that you knew it had when you planned to go there. It's pretty much exactly what I expected, and while I wouldn't spend a week there by choice (a couple of days, then out into the country works for me), if I had to I could find plenty to do.

>Don't get hating on London.
>>
Hawaii.
>>
Oklahoma
>>
>>952913
It literally rains so much that you can't see anything in Vik and around Vik

What did you enjoy while you were there? My only memories are Dyrholaey which was objectively amazing and waiting to thumb a ride under HEAVY rain for two hours around 2 PM.
>>
>>955400
Where was the photo taken? Jokulsarlon? East coast?

I was there this June, spent 15 days. The friendliest people to hitchhikers are foreigners, Icelanders are only cool when they are under 25, over 60 or when they are doing service you paid for.
>>
Vienna
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.