[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
renting a hostel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: hostel dormitory room.jpg (17 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
hostel dormitory room.jpg
17 KB, 250x188
So me and a bud of mine are thinking about staying in a hostel.

>are they safe?

>age requirements? (we are 18)

>personal experiences
>>
>>941143
Yes its safe, yes 18 is old enough. Good way to meet other individuals in the same situation as you. Do it faggot!
>>
>>941143

>are they safe?

wtf man?
>>
File: 1-20-2015 2-53-27 PM.jpg (49 KB, 410x548) Image search: [Google]
1-20-2015 2-53-27 PM.jpg
49 KB, 410x548
>age requirements
be under 30

>are they safe?
you may get an STD from fucking too many chicks

>personal experiences
a true gentleman never kisses and tells
>>
Stayed in a hostel in Tokyo for a few weeks. Great place run by kind, pretty women. I was by myself, and most people were there in groups, so I didn't interact with the other guests that often, but I made friends with a Chinese guy like 30 years my senior who didn't speak a bit of English, and a French guy who spent the entire time he was there talking shit about Paris. Every Scandinavian I ran into gave off a reeeeeeeally scary, rapey vibe that made me worry for the women in their dorms, and the English guys all banded together to make the common area as loud and uninhabitable as possible. There are definite pros and cons, but overall, a very worthwhile experience.
>>
>>941150
one a half beer William loved this. Thanks, m'gentleman
>>
I've been to a lot of hostels, even crappier ones, and I've never complained... apart from one in Milano, which was basically an actual shit hole... other than that 99% approval rate. Even in eastern Europe and Turkey and shit hostels are okay
>>
>>941143
18teen is #pushingit, the trendier hotels now only xcept 16 to 18 bc who wants 2 party w/old ppl? not me. nyway u shuld whatsapp the manager and make sure u tell her ur not an uggo or 2 old so u can get in as long as ur kewl their probably gunna xcept u

1 time me and sum m8s were chillaxing in ibixa and we totally fuxxed like 3 grills each! it was gr8 until a creepy old 25 year old came in and then we were like wut and then we did a bunch of e and then it was #mmmkay?
>>
How do I get into a hostel.do I have to preorder shit
>>
>>941252
A hostel is basically a hotel for people who cannot afford or are not "sophisticated" enough for hotels. These are by no means a bad things. Commonly they have dorm rooms with bunk beds. You will share a room with anywhere between 1 and 30 people. There are sometimes female only dorms but most often they are mixed. Sometimes they have private rooms available. Some have breakfast, some do not. Some are nice, some are shit. It's really just a cheap place to sleep and the sometimes where the best memories are made whilst travelling. You will make friends in hostels. You will hate snoring and smelly roommates in hostels. You will try to figure out how to have sex in a hostel. Most are safe unless you're stupid, you should never trust strangers anyway. You can walk in day of or make reservations years in advance. Hostel bars are also very fun.

I've worked and lived in a hostel for 7 months in NW US. We accept all ages unless you're under 18 then bring your mommy. Yes even octogenarians. Occasionally a homeless man gets through our screening and is a bane on our existence for his entire stay. Hostels are the best way to travel. Don't be fooled by Eli Roth.
>>
>>941346
>A hostel is basically a hotel for people who cannot afford or are not "sophisticated" enough for hotels.

hahahaha

>implying making a booking at a hotel makes one "sophisticated"

Yeah right up there with having your PhD and speaking 4 languages.
>>
>>941349
Listen, asshole. Typically the person who stays in hotels sees themselves more highly than the average guest of a hostel. I'm not saying they're right. I'm saying you're a nitpicking faggot who contributes nothing and cannot read past the words that are right in front of his ugly slackjawed face.
>>
>>941352
Your English skills are hilarious. I seriously hope you're a non-native speaker.

>"a person" -> "sees themselves" (singular to plural)
>I'm not saying they're right (refers to plural when meaning singular)

On the topic of what you're discussing though, you never said that at all. You just said "a hostel is basically a hotel for people who cannot afford or are not 'sophisticated' enough for hotels." Quotation marks mean none of what was in your second post.

Tell us more about how hotels are for the bourgeois.
>>
>>941352
>Typically the person who stays in hotels sees themselves more highly than the average guest of a hostel.
Maybe your irony quotes didn't convey this adequately to the dude who started jumping down your throat?
>>
>>941355
That was in the second post, retard, not the first.
>>
>>941358
false, see:
>>941346
>"sophisticated"
>>
>>941374
Placing a word in quotation marks simply means you're quoting it, you mong. There was nothing to suggest you added the marks to imply those who stay in hotels see themselves that way. You are struggling to engage in even the simplest type of communication. Repeat the 9th grade and come back after.
>>
>>941377
Not that guy but I'm here to tell you you're wrong. When quoting something you're supposed to say where or who it came from. If you don't do that then it's implied that it's a joke, or that's what people think of themselves, in this case.

Back to highschool kiddo.
>>
>>941355
>Maybe your irony quotes didn't convey this adequately to the dude who started jumping down your throat?

It doesn't take a fucking retard to figure out that his quotes were ironic tbh.
>>
>>941403
No, it indicates dialogue or a direct quote from another source. If he wanted that other source or that dialogue to be ironic he needed to have sufficient context about the parties in question so the irony could be elucidated. He failed at expressing himself properly and I mocked him for it.

Back to remedial freshman Writing for Retards 101, kiddo.

(Oh, and "highschool" is two words.)
>>
>>941247
9/10
Underrated post.
>>
>>941377
Woah, step away from the keyboard sir.
Do you know how mad you were going.
>>
>>941512
>monotone writing
>not a single name called
>"hurr u mad!"

Try again
>>
>>941346
>You will share a room with anywhere between 1 and 30 people.
>30 people

How's the ventilation? The BO, bad breath and farts must be staggering from that many people.
>>
alright faggots,
>>>/lit/ is thattaway
>>
>>941599
Lol, this is why I never go for a room with more than 8 beds, although 1 time I was in a hostel that had I believe 18 in the room but only 6 or 7 were taken.

Also, the bigger rooms from what I've seen are not just an open floor plan with a bunch of beds in it like you see in military barracks. There are usually dividing walls which separate areas together so a room of 30 feels more like a room of 8 that has an open passage into other rooms of 8.

The BO usually isn't a huge issue, same with farting although it does happen. Biggest issue with so many people is the amount of noise. Some people sleep with an eye mask and ear plugs, I can't do that so it can be a bit difficult to sleep in when there's a bunch of people getting up. Best way to deal with this is to get used to waking up at around 8am when everyone else does.
>>
>>941631
>Best way to deal with this is to get used to waking up at around 8am when everyone else does.
wrong.
best way to deal with it is to get a fucking real job and make enough money where you dont have to stay in hostels anymore. either that or stop going to such expensive countries that you're forced to stay in a hostel to stay within budget.
>>
>>941647
You're a dumb fuck and I suspect you are some kind of Asian since its mainly you guys who would give a shit about that, I bet your the guy who said sophisticated people go to hotels lol.

I'm very well off financially,as is many of my friends. We usually travel in groups together and 80% of the time we stay at hostels when possible. Why? Because you get a better experience staying with strangers then you do staying in a hotel room by yourself. Yes in some countries we stay in hotels if the hostels are unsafe but last summer we went to Tokyo for 3 weeks and stayed in a hostel the whole time. Could we have stayed at the dai-ichi hotel ? Sure. Would we have had the same experience meeting amazing genuine people with tons of stories that you simply won't hear when you're around other "sophisticated" people.

Get off your highhorse, because you stink of new cash. Go put on your armani shirt and use your Gucci belt to fucking kill yourself
>>
>>941647
You can have a real job and just be too cheap for hostels...
>>
>>941346
>A hostel is basically a hotel for people who ... are not "sophisticated" enough for hotels.
I've met quite a few people who think that they are "sophisticated" because they stay in the shittiest hostels.You know, the kind of people that tell you that they can get by for a whole day with just so-or-so many bucks; the kind that upon seeing your 50 liters backpack would go "Whoa, how much is that? What do you need all that stuff for? I'm traveling for a year with a bag the size of your day-bag".

@Grammer-Nazi: I'm not a native speaker and would be so "happy" if you could point out any errors.
>>
File: download.png (124 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
download.png
124 KB, 400x266
>>941672
>>
File: 1280427550863.jpg (18 KB, 282x415) Image search: [Google]
1280427550863.jpg
18 KB, 282x415
>>941672
>I'm very well off financially,as is many of my friends
pic related
>your
ignorant
>I suspect you are some kind of Asian since its mainly you guys who would give a shit about that
racist
>we went to Tokyo for 3 weeks and stayed in a hostel the whole time
poorfag
>>
>>941683
Different poster here, why on earth are you so mad? Can you just not accept other peoples opinions? And if you notice something wrong with my English do note that it's not my first language.
>>
>>941685
Hes replying to my post not yours. And lol believe what you like , thinking hotels are sophisticated and hostels are not sophisticated makes you seem like those chinese fucks who get new money and think they need to flash it at every opportunity. But whatever clearly the non English speaking "sophisticated" posters are out in force today
>>
>>941679
>>941683
Samefag
>>
>>941687
>>941685
are you guys ready to get your minds blown?
>>941647
>>941346
>>
File: 1-21-2015 3-14-09 PM.jpg (94 KB, 707x431) Image search: [Google]
1-21-2015 3-14-09 PM.jpg
94 KB, 707x431
>>941688
busted :^)

It's all in fun guys, relax.
>>
>>941143
just stay at one. go for a private double room first if you're too pussy, better quality hostels usually have them, get the experience of hostel life, kitchens etc., then go dorms and save £10 while having a slightly worse nights sleep.
they are as safe as you like. you usually have lockers. hopefully it's a good locker.
18 is fine.
personal experiences: i'd prefer a hostel over a hotel. i'm a heavy sleeper so snoring etc doesn't bother me.
>>
>>941647
I'm the guy this post is replying to. I make a nice living here in Canada and usually travel to cheaper countries. I still almost always stay in hostels. I have a few reasons.

First of all, I travel alone. I'm not very outgoing and it's difficult to make friends in places where the locals don't speak one of the languages I speak. Hostels make it incredibly easy to meet people, even just for the evening to talk about what you've done during the day. I treat hotels/hostels as a place to sleep and store my backpack in. I don't go to hotels to use up their amenities, although from what I've experienced the amenities hostels have are more up my alley anyways. At the end of my trips I don't remember how great a hostel was or was not, I remember all the cool shit I've seen and done. And I travel for extended periods so I kinda want to spread the money throughout that period. If I only traveled for for 1 week a year like most workaholics I'd probably stay in hotels but I travel for around 2 months a year.

If I had to put a figure on it, I'd say about 85% of hostels I've stayed at were either great or decent. The other ones were just bad choice by me when going for the cheapest options in town. Never go for the cheapest hostels...
>>
>>941693
wow lol you really are trying hard
>>
>>941701
>buttravaged: the post

>>941700
I was just trolling. glad you didn't fall for it like the more amateur posters in here as you make some excellent points. but how is it that you can make a decent living and still travel 2 months a year?
>>
>>941705
I work contracts/auxiliary. So I guess I don't have a steady income but I'm really high on the seniority list now and don't spend much time waiting for a new job. Usually a couple of weeks and they find me something. My contracts usually run 3-14 months, sometimes I get short contracts for a couple of weeks but those are often extended. If I wanted to I could get a full time position but then I would only have 2-3 weeks vacation a year.

I'm lucky in that I don't pay rent cause I live in an apartment owned by my parents.
>>
>>941143
>tfw can afford to rent flats while on vacation
Should I just stay in hostels for the experience
>>
>>941721
No.
Only if you like the smell of BO/vomit and like having your stuff stolen.
>>
>>941700
>First of all, I travel alone. I'm not very outgoing
It's kinda the same for me. Imho the most important thing a hostel has to have is a good common room or bar where people like to hang out. The hostel I disliked the most so far was one that was a students dorm turned hostel for the summer - 2 beds per room, 1 very shitty kitchen per floor (for 10 or so rooms). I only stayed 2 days, but didn't meet anyone there except for my roomie.
>>
>>941721
Why not just give it a try? If you have some money you can always bail out and check into a hotel or flat if you don't like it.
>>
>>941721
who are you quoting?
>>
>>941724
Some places are just duds even if they appear to be great on reviews. I stayed in this one hostel in Mexico City, it seemed great, great location, modern, very clean, spacious areas and rooms, great kitchen/dining room. But it had a terrible common room which was just this huge area with a tv there and some computers by the side. What turned out happening was that no one talked to each other, just watched tv and played on their laptops. I stayed there for 7 nights and the only 2 people I really hung out with I met in my room.

>>941736
Are you new?
>green text doesn't always mean a quote
>>
Hey OP here... What the fuck happen to this thread?
>>
>>941705
Omg ebin trole bro you should SS it and post it on reddit. Get some mad upboats yo xD

Thank you for your contributions to this board
>>
I imagine that it's really hard to not have all of your valuables stolen, correct?
>>
>>941774
No, because most people aren't thieves. There are thieves around, though, so keep things either locked up or with you at all times. I've found the larger the hostel and the more party-focused it is, the more likely you are to have your stuff ripped off.
>>
>>941774
Every hostel I've stayed at so far had lockers. I always lock up my electronics when going out, taking shower, sleeping. It really isn't an inconvenience when you get used to it.

Clothes and other random shit doesn't have to be locked. No one is going to steal our used socks or tshirt.
>>
>>941776
Ah that's good that some have lockers. There are party focused ones? Like a bunch of college age people from different countries getting drunk together? That sounds awesome.
>>
>>941779
Yeah, hostels all vary. Some are sleepy boring little places (often in small towns), others are total shitholes full of drunk and stupid Australian girls looking to get date raped. It all depends where you are.

And yes, they have lockers. Every person you meet travelling will have values of one form or another and every one of those people will want to secure them somewhere at some point.
>>
>>941768
>posts something about reddit
>thinks hes contributing more than the troll
>>
File: What_28845c_421828.png (26 KB, 755x1255) Image search: [Google]
What_28845c_421828.png
26 KB, 755x1255
>>941705
>I was just trolling.
>>
>>941778
>No one is going to steal our used socks or tshirt.
Anyone who's stealing my dirty clothes needs them way worse than I do.
>>
>>941891
>>941672
samefag
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.