[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Since the old one is about to die As always, feel free to ask
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13
File: IMG_5694.jpg (4 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5694.jpg
4 MB, 3456x2304
Since the old one is about to die

As always, feel free to ask about:
>places to visit / do in Japan
>How to become Yakuza?
>Teaching English in Japan
>stuff to do for weeaboos

>>If you can't get laid in your home country, you can't get laid in Japan.

The previous thread is here: >>935380
Please refer to the previous thread (as long as it's still around) to see if your question has already been answered. Thanks
>>
>>940263
Spending a couple of days in Takasaki/Maebashi on my next Japan trip. Anybody got any suggestions on cool things to do other than the Daruma temple? The basic plan is go up either Mt Haruna or Akagi since I'm travelling with a massive Initial D fan but outside of that I'm not too sure what else there is to do in that area.
>>
>>940263
I'll be moving to Aussie this coming month. But I am planning to visit Japan during Australian winter holidays, in August perhaps.

Any Aussie cunts willing to share how much they spend there? From SEA, it's rather cheap flying to Japan using Air Asia, I am afraid tickets from Aussie to Japan gonna be expensive as hell, especially during holiday season.
>>
File: 020.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
020.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
What should I do with these?
>>
>>940332
spend them?
>>
>>940332
Are you staying in a Mystays hotel?
>>
I need places to visit in:
> Tokyo
> Kusatsu
> Osaka
> Kyoto
> Nara
> Kobe
>>
>>940346

>Osaka
Ame-mura
"American Village"
アメ村

>Tokyo
Depends on what you want:
otaku shit > Akihabara
massage parlor > Roppongi or Shinjuku

>Nara
Go to the deer park. There is also a big castle there, forget the name. Has a big Buddha statue inside. Also inside is that tree with a hole that you can craw through, and it gives you good luck.
>>
>>940348
If you are a girl and like boutique fashion, maybe Harajuku

I went to Harajuku on a Sunday expecting cosplay, but there was nothing. It was just a line of stores and restaurants. I went to Starbucks.
>>
>>940332
I haven't seen one of those in four years...

Keep one for novelty's sake. Spend the rest and enjoy the shopkeepers' surprise when they get 2000 yen bills.
>>
>>940349
You can find nice clothes for young men too in Harajuku, they're just generally not in Takeshita street.
>>
>>940381
I got one on my recent trip. I didn't know whether those are still used, so I asked the store clerk to exchange it to 2 1000 Yen bills instead
>>
>>940348
Thanks!
>>
>>940398
Same guy again.

Amemura is good for bars, shopping, and restaurants. But if you want something slightly more lively, also head to Doutonbori, which is an adjacent neighborhood. On the right side of Amemura is Europe-village, which may have nice British-style pubs.

There is a bar in Doutonbori called "Glee Club" which is run by a nice couple. They have a standard selection of reasonably-priced sake and whiskey. But the couple doesn't speak English, so don't go if you don't speak Japanese. It's on the top floor of a building, near a restaurant called "Sex Machine" which is named after the James Brown song.
>>
If I want to stay in a shared house for 1 month or so, which city is better: Osaka or Tokyo? I've been to Osaka, but only saw it for one day. I am assuming that prices are somewhat cheaper in Osaka but are there any other reasons to choose one city over the other?
>>
>>940382
>You can find nice clothes for young men too in Harajuku, they're just generally not in Takeshita street.
Nice things just generally aren't in Takeshita street.
>>
>>940402
Thanks again!
>>
>>940382
I do pretty much all of my shopping in Harajuku, do people really think the area is just Takeshita street? I didn't even see that place until the second time I went to Japan and almost always avoid it when I go to Harajuku.
>>
My girlfriend and I tried to stay in a love hotel last night but we were refused from 3 places. Is there some trick to staying at them or are they just not keen on the white devil staying there?
>>
>>940327

July is peak so at least 1k return. What city cunt?
>>
>>940346
Osaka has a cool aquarium. The Osaka castle is alright. There is good shopping in Amemura and Shinsaibashi, also around Umeda. You can get a neat view of the sunset from Abeno Harukas in Tennoji. My favorite thing of all though is the owl cafe.
>>
>>940404

Fuck depends. Osaka is in the center of the kansai region with easy trips to nara, Kobe and Kyoto so lots of history and nice areas to explore. Tokyo is a fuckhuge city with kamakura, hakone and Nikko being some culture trips. A lot more imposing than Osaka for sure, but its amazing. You have to see both.
>>
>>940483

But if you have to pick one I'd probably go with Osaka. More shit to see that isn't just city.
>>
>>940479
They fill up late at night especially in any kind of area with a night life
Next time read the sign.
>>
File: sumo_stadium.jpg (365 KB, 800x515) Image search: [Google]
sumo_stadium.jpg
365 KB, 800x515
Me and a buddy want to go to the opening night of the Osaka sumo tournament in March but neither of us wants to blow upwards of $100 on box tickets. Are the second story tickets worth the price? They're cheaper (at $45) but are you able to actually see enough from them?
>>
>>940504
If you're in the back you won't be able to see anything. If you're in the seats near the front they'll be slightly less than 10,000 yen but still close to it. From there you'll be able to see. The emperor when he comes actually sits on the second floor in the front. For me I was completely satisfied with my second floor seats near the front.

Do not bother with any seats that aren't side views
>>
>>940346
Kyoto...
Kyomizu Dera
and Nijo jo

Temple and castle take a day to see both..
>>
>>940485
care to elaborate maybe? When I was there, I couldn't really see that many things to do. Another plus side of Tokyo is that I have more friends there than in Osaka
>>
>>940327
Moving to Aus, not Aussie. A person can be an Aussie, but they are not from Aussie.
>>
Good shit to do in Tokyo for my 18th bday tomorrow?
>>
>>940346
>Osaka
Dootonbori
Namba City
Den-Den town
Umeda
>>
What's the best option for spending a month in Japan?
Accommodation-wise? Not necessarily the cheapest option, but i don't want to spend more than 20 euros a day. Is that even possible?
>>
>>940578

Osaka itself doesn't have that many attractions but still has an active nightlife.

Basically in Osaka you will travel between 30 mins and a couple hours a day, get to a really nice shrine, trail, mountain or part of town and just explore and appreciate the history and culture before heading back to town for some drinks and maybe some nightlife.

In Tokyo after you've seen fuji, hakone, nikko and kamakura you will be left to have fun in the city. Tokyo is massive, and theres lots of interesting places to go but all the nice restaurants and museums do cost money whereas in Osaka you wouldn't have to spend as much on admission. After awhile the dull of the city can get boring.

They are both good choices if you have better mates in Tokyo then by all means, it will just mean most of your time will be in the city compared to being around nature.

As I said before you really have to do both, but Id prefer to spend more time away from the city than in one personally.

>>940582
Get drunk at a park with mates, go to a novelty restaurant like the lockup in shibuya. 18 limits you a bit.

>>940603
Travel will nuke your budget to hell. You can get longer term rooms with sakura house that cost like ~10 euro a day. But that leaves ~10 euro, trains min fare at ~1.5-2.5 euro so you have to plan all your journeys carefully. All longer journeys around tokyo are like ~10+ euros so you'll be restricted. Konbini/gyudon food you could scrape by at ~4-6 euro day. Travelers insurance? Its possible but you wont be able to buy anything and it'll be pretty boring. 40 euro a day and if you can handle living in a share house you will be very comfortable and get to have a much more fulfilling vacation.
>>
>>940480
>>940579

Melb, damn that's expensive.
>>
>>940656
Thanks for the advice!

The thing is, I have around two months, one of which I wanted to spend in a city to see how the city life is like in Japan and the second month I maybe wanted to do some WWOOFing, especially in the North and South since I haven't visited those. I've already been to both Kamakura and Nara, though I have to say Kamakura seems like a really nice place in summer.

Also do you maybe have experience with recommendations for share houses? (since you mentioned Sakura house).

Also is 600$ a good price for a return flight from Europe?

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>940676
$600 is pretty dam good. £500-600 is about normal from the UK.
>>
>>940687
>not booking a year in advance
>>
>>939675

thanks mate will try to find that restaurant. leaving for tokyo in 2 days starting to get excited. My shopping list is definitely more planned out than the sites that I plan to visit.

decided to airbnb a place near akihabara.
>>
>>940691
>implying I have to pay for my own flights
>>
can anyone provide me with info on what the best way to use my iPhone in Japan is?

should i disable data and buy a pocket-wifi thing? or are there any good sim cards i should get instead? i'll be there for 10 days in Tokyo and Kyoto
>>
>>940769
I've always used the pocket wi-fi routers. It'll probably set you back somewhere in the region of £30/$45 for just under 2 weeks. Just pick it up at the airport/hotel turn it on, chuck it in the bag and then use your phone on the wi-fi like normal.

Getting a SIM card you'll probably need to check your phone will work on a Japanese network as the frequencies theirs run on are fairly different to the US and Europe so not all phones are compatible.
>>
File: Red-wine-spa-pool.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Red-wine-spa-pool.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>
File: 20100909103608edb.jpg (57 KB, 338x253) Image search: [Google]
20100909103608edb.jpg
57 KB, 338x253
>>940676
>WWOOFing

that could be sketchy
>>
>>940479
Yeah no , you should have read the signs that said it was full.

They don't give a fuck that you are white lol it isn't the 80s anymore. go to south korea if you want special treatment bruh
>>
>>940795
haha wow people don't realize the pool is 85% dyed water?
>>
>>940327
I went last November, it ended up being $950 or so for a Jetstar return from Sydney. We had to change at Cairns where we got delayed 6 hours.

Jetstar is notoriously shit, if you have the money I'd suggest getting a direct flight with another carrier. Where were you leaving from in Aus?
>>
>>940800
how so?
>>
Anyone been up to the abandoned maya hotel? worth the hike?
>>
>>940327
I did 500 return with Air Asia in July. Fucking awful flight with a 8 hour stop over in Malyasia, but for that kind of money I couldn't care less.
>>
>>940853
I'll never understand the appeal of doing back breaking manual labor that people have hated doing since the dawn of civilization in exchange for the opportunity to live in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>940676

Yeah sakura house is great, I didn't have any problems when I stayed with them.

>>940769

Well there's free wifi with:

•7-11 7Spot Wi-fi
•Family Mart Wi-fi
•Starbucks Free Wi-fi
•NTT Free Wi-Fi

If these aren't enough, the sims:

•B-Mobile Offers Tourist Sim Cards and Prepaid Cards
•So-Net Prepaid Data Sim Cards
•OCN Prepaid Prepaid Data Sim Cards

More info over at https://www.reddit.com/r/Tokyo/comments/2oyv6c/tokyo_tourist_megapost_v7/~~~~

Best info dump on leddit for this kind of shit.
>>
>>940656
How much time would you say one could spend in Osaka if they're not interested in the nightlife?
I'm gonna be travelling around Japan for around 2 months, I've got plans to see a few mountains, a fuckload of shrines and temples and walk a ton of nature trails. For Osaka I'm only really interested in staying in the city since that and Kyoto will be my mid-trip break.
But how many days is necessary if I just want to check out the town by day?
>>
>>940838
Melb

I was looking for this kind of rate >>940947 to be honest.
>>
>>940494
>>940807
Signs were all illuminated saying OPEN and FULL, and the "full" part wasn't lit up so I doubt it was full. Also this was about 7pm, most shops wouldn't have even shut by then, no way it was late.
>>
>>940954
well I think it'd be an opportunity to experience rural life in Japan and also it's nice to travel around the country while saving money on accommodation. WWOOFing somewhere on Okinawa, working 6 hours/day and having the whole afternoon/weekend to chill on the beach sounds pretty sweet to me
>>
File: 26t36251256124.jpg (93 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
26t36251256124.jpg
93 KB, 640x480
>>940954
>>
>>940954
>back breaking manual labor

hahahahaha

I've never WWOOFed but I stayed at a place that doubled as an organic farm (it was a B&B) while working on a 2-month contract a few years ago in a mountain town in the Rockies. Back breaking? They did a few hours of gardening in the beautiful summer weather each day then spent the rest of their time hiking, cycling, and checking out the area. We had dinner each evening with them, too, and they were all super cool.

People do it for fun. You're not a rent-a-Mexican for a few days. I picked up a pair of hitchhikers a couple of months ago who were doing the same here and they said they'd very much enjoyed.
>>
>>941070
>>941115
yeah i've never done WWOOFing or workx but it seems a fucking great deal, and when you have your days off (usually they only work you like 3-4 days a week for the longer hours or 3-4 hours every day which is fucking nothing) and they provide free accomodation + sometimes free meals? Lol as a hispanic i don't see how you people can consider this bad breaking at all.

it seems like such a great thing that exists and an amazing way to genuinely learn about another culture / make an amazing experience you wouldn't have otherwise.

And shit on days you have off you can just go into town and fuck around all you want.
>>
>>941133
back* breaking.

Also seems like a good way to meet new people and get some new friends if you click with the people you worked with. Maybe even fuck them since you'll all be living at the same place haha.
>>
File: Koala.jpg (763 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763 KB, 1024x768
Can anybody help me out ?

i don't need help with anythign like what flight do i take or how do i hotel blah blah blah, what i need help with is how the fuck do i buy tickets to this dance event in tokyo? I went to their website and used google translate but it's just so unoptimized for english speakers i cannot for the life of me figure out how to get tickets.
名称:DANCE@LIVE JAPAN FINAL 2015
日時:2015年4月26日 (日)
場所:両国国技館
時間:OPEN 11:00 / START 11:40

チケット販売スケジュール

■ WEB先行販売(先着順)
2015年 2月2日 (月) 12:00 〜 2月5日 23:59 迄
※入場券(自由席) 、枡席、2階席すべてのチケットが販売されます。

■ 一般販売(先着順)
2015年2月8日(日)10:00〜
※入場券(自由席) 、枡席、2階席すべてのチケットが販売されます。

■ 料金
前売入場券(自由席) : ¥4,000 (税込)
当日入場券(自由席) : ¥5,000 (税込)
※当日入場券は午前9:00より販売開始致します

■ 枡席チケット
マスS席:¥8,000 (税込) 【限定84枡】
マスA席:¥6,000 (税込) 【限定176枡】
マスB席:¥4,000 (税込) 【限定1174枡】
※ 枡席チケットは各4枚つづりです(1枡につき4人まで座ることが出来ます)。
※ 別途入場券(¥4,000 / 1人)が必要です。

■ 2階指定席チケット : ¥800 (税込)
※ 別途入場券(¥4,000 / 1人)が必要です。
CAn anyone give me a simple rough translation of that? The venue is in a sumo wrestliing stadium in tokyo "Ryogoku Kokugikan " but the website ticket purchase area seems to be down and it doesn't mention anythig about event tickets..
>>
>>941137
Sorry for the huge post i just really want to grab a ticket before it sells out
>>
>>941137
The stuff you pasted simply states that there'll be a WEB pre/priority sale on the 2nd of February and an ordinary ticket sale on the 8th. The rest is simply explanation on different tickets and seats. If that's all there is on the site I'd imagine they just update it on the 2nd and you have to be mashing f5 there. A link might help a bit?
>>
>>941166
http://www.dancealive.tv/japanfinal2015/about.html

Thanks man, when i translated hte page it says the tickets for feb are sold out which made me confused as hell because it always said they were web-pre sale tickets

Bro do you think you would be able to figure out / link me to the page to buy the actual tickets? if not thats fine, you helped enough
>>
>>941176
I can't really find anything more on the site. It's look to me as if it's unfinished anyway, the links on top right don't seem to work.

As far as I understand it doesn't say anything about the tickets being sold out. I think you might be referring to what google translates as "※ tickets (seats), Masuseki, second floor all the tickets are sold." but that part simply states that all those types of tickets are avalaible during the ticket web-pre sale.

I guess you'll just have to keep checking the site for updates.

Or you could try contacting them trough their Facebook.
/dancealive.face

Other than that I can't really help you more. The best thing would be if you had a contact in Japan to handle the tickets, sometimes you need a japanese address or credit card for this stuff, or you need to be able to pick the tickets up within a certain in a konbini or something. Hard to say in advance since the site is pretty scarse with info.

Good luck though, hope you get your tickets!
>>
>>940800
>>940853
>>940954

Not necessarily. I've WWOOFed at three places now, haven't felt at all hard done by. I stick to working at hostels/ryokans and language schools, easy work with plenty of free time, well worth free food and accommodation. Also the only way you get to experience everyday Japanese life.

Just check the reviews and go over ALL the data on the hosts and you should be fine. Just book well in advance to avoid being turned down.
>>
>get to your airbnb apartment and see this
>what would /trv/ do?

I don't want to get v& in Japan guise
>>
>>941391
>I don't want to get v& in Japan guise
Be quiet. Don't draw any attention to yourself and if anyone asks, you're just a friend of the owner visiting.

Failing that get some knives, go on a stabbing spree and commit sudoku if the japanese bacon come for you.
>>
File: 1395175395034.jpg (3 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1395175395034.jpg
3 KB, 200x150
>>941444
Thank you for this based advice
>>
Got my interview for JET in a couple of days. I've been practising some questions but I doubt I'll ever be fully prepared for it.

Wish me luck guys, hopefully soon I will be living and working in Japan!
>>
>>941189
Thank you i really appreciate it, it looks as if i might not be able to make it to the dance competition/japan this year but atleast i'll be able to navigate their site a little better . thanks again man
>>
File: 2161_01.jpg (156 KB, 650x370) Image search: [Google]
2161_01.jpg
156 KB, 650x370
Anybody been to Fukuoka? Thinking about applying for a student exchange there. Looks pretty comfy
>>
File: Hiroshima_Castle.jpg (1 MB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
Hiroshima_Castle.jpg
1 MB, 2304x1728
Hey guys, me and a friend are planning a trip to Japan later in the year, and we were interested in visiting Hiroshima.
Does anyone know what kind of there stuff there is around there (apart from the peace museum etc) and how long you would recommend going for?
>>
>>941612
Comfy is a good word to describe Fukuoka. It's a nice, relatively small city with good transport connections so very convenient for travelling around Kyushu and ferrys to Korea. There's not a massive amount of things to do as its not particularly touristy and you won't see as many foreigners as you would further north. If you're there in September I'd recommend the Music City Tenjin festival where a load of free concerts are put on around the Tenjin area over one weekend.
>>
Have any of you stayed in sakura house?

I was oging to get a private room but for around $60ish a night i might as well stay in a hotel

Are the dorms nice at all? i realise sakura hostel has some diffrent locations in tokyo , are any significantly diffrent (good or bad) then the others? thanks everyone
>>
>>941568
Good luck, man! I sincerely hope you make it.

>>941612
Fukuoka's pretty nice. There are interesting temples and shrines there, plus a lot of shopping. Personally, I like Ohori Park just to relax, but many people go there to jog. The trains at Hakata station will take you pretty much anywhere you want to go on Kyushu, and there are some neat places even relatively nearby to check out.
>>
File: 511.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
511.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I am 30 and I have a very mediocre career as a software developer. My Japanese is somewhere between JLPT N4 and N3.

What are my job prospects? I have been applying to English Teacher jobs. Software opportunities are non-existent because:

1. I don't have business-proficiency
2. I don't currently live in Japan

I really don't want to be a game developer but at this point I'm willing to take anything that pays a liveable wage.
>>
>>941620
Really, aside from that stuff there aren't many touristy attractions. I just enjoyed hanging around, going to restaurants and stuff and just meeting people.
If you go there, stay at K's House, the Hiroshima one has great staff. Plus, it's close to the Hiroshima Station and is a 20 minute walk at most from the peace museum and shukkeien
>>
File: question.jpg (126 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
question.jpg
126 KB, 600x375
>>940263
>>940263
>>940263
Important question here:

Japan is one of the most xenophobic countries in the world. Being half Japanese and half white, does that mean regular Japanese people will hate me?

I had plans of moving there and I just want to know if I'll get shit on.
>>
>>941831
xenophobia is a lie. unless you are in the countryside people are used to foreigners.

also: before deciding to "move" there (implying they would just let you in lol) you should visit it.
>>
>>940327
You can get pretty cheap flights on things like jetstar, But they'll be long and have heaps of stop overs. But still cheap.
>>
>>941620

I was in Hiroshima about a week ago and stayed two nights and that was more than enough, you can spend a day looking at the museum/peace park/hiroshima castle etc, and then the next day you can make a full day of Miyajima Island. Once you've done those you've seen everything though really.
>>
>>940327

I spent 800 dollars on a Malaysian airline ticket that had a stop over in KL return. This was right after MH17 though so prices were rock bottom for what was a fairly decent flight.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.