[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The neverending Japan General thread just goes on and on my friends...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
File: 図35[2].jpg (111 KB, 1598x1065) Image search: [Google]
図35[2].jpg
111 KB, 1598x1065
The neverending Japan General thread just goes on and on my friends...

As always, feel free to ask about:
>places to visit / do in Japan
>stuff to do for weeaboos
>Teaching English in Japan
>How to become Yakuza?

The previous thread is here: >>921466
Please refer to the previous thread (as long as it's still around) to see if your question has already been answered. Thanks.
>>
>> If you cany get laid in your home country, you cant get laid in japan.

I really feel this should be added to the sticky to , hopefully, avoid cringe worthy questions.

That aside, wanted to know if there are any houses/ apartments in the kyoto area with central heating/ac.
Ive looked at a few places and either im unlucky or those things dont exist (at least in my price range).
>>
I remember watching a documentary about Japanese martial arts while in Japan last year. There was a statistic like "about 60% of members of kendo clubs in big cities are foreigners" which made me laugh.
Why must gross weebs continue soiling the reputation of foreigners?
>>
>>926244
I dont know anything about kendo. But socially inept neckbeards dont usually participate in sports clubs.
If i had the time i wouldnt mind trying it either, since all i had back home was hockey and soccer.
>>
>>926244
It's a similar thing with boxing in Thailand, I've got a friend in BKK into it and he says most of the dudes training are foreigners
>>
>>926241
>central heating in Japan
lol
>>
>>926248
>But socially inept neckbeards dont usually participate in sports clubs.
Yeah, you obviously don't know anything about Japanese martial arts in the year 2014
>>
>>926241
Good idea. I'll try to add that to the next OP.

As for central heating/air, you'd be hard-pressed to find that anywhere in Japan unless you build the house yourself. Plus everyone will think you're wasteful.
>>
Where do you guys living there make friends? Are they mostly native or foreigners?
>>
>>926244
>>926248
Also foreigners have some advantages in certain sports since they are taller and by consequence have longer arms and legs. (Also they are physically stronger on average).
>>
Friend and I are going to Tokyo from Dec 23-Jan 8, So:

1. If we plan to mainly stay in Tokyo, should we get a rail pass?
2. Is there lots of free internet or should I consider getting one of those portable internet things
3.Is the train system easy to use?
4. I heard Tokyo is pretty much shut down after the New Years, is this true and too what degree/what should we do during that time

Thanks in advance
>>
>>926401
I find that all my male friends are foreigners and all my female friends are native
>>
>>926422
Would like to see this answered as well.
Ill be in tokyo from 8th to 19th, flying off on 20th morning.

Also, should I take a out a few days for kyoto/osaka? instead of staying in tokyo the whole time?
>>
>>926453
I've lived in Tokyo 3 years and still havent seen anything. But if coming to Japan is a once in a lifetime/decade type of thing for you then you would be an idiot to not go somewhere else in the country
>>
>>926422
1. If you plan to stay in Tokyo, don't bother getting a JR pass, because you won't need it. You should get a Pasmo/Suica so you can top it whenever you need it. It will be costly, but way less than getting a JR pass. The JR pass is only useful when you plan to travel across Japan (using the JR lines).
>>
File: Mizu_James_Jean.jpg (369 KB, 905x1280) Image search: [Google]
Mizu_James_Jean.jpg
369 KB, 905x1280
To the dude in Tokyo from 25 to 28dec: Yahoo locked my account (guess it were the Craigslist mailings, oops). Made a new mail: [email protected]

>>926401
I made friends in the gym (natives), university club (natives), classes (foreigners) and other residents of the same building (foreigners). Once you have a few connections, you can go drinking or have a party or whatever and get introduced to new people. I think that's the most important: meeting as many people as possible :)

>>926453
Kyoto is wonderful, go visit it! Inarijinja is beautiful around dusk.
>>
How do massages work in Japan? Is the advertised price including hand relief or does that cost extra? What's a good price for the outskirts of Tokyo? If the girl is ugly can I back out? Any general tips?
>>
Is there anything remotely cool/interesting near Kamata Tokyo? Tomorrow is my last day here and Ive exhausted all the big touristy shit to do in Tokyo.
>>
What are some interesting places to wander/walk around in Tokyo at night? I know about everything closing at/before midnight - I'm planning on walking through areas of the city all night for at least one night.
>>
>>926467
nah, i will most likely come down to japan mid next year as well.
Tickets are kinda cheap from aus.

Think I will probably stay in tokyo for this trip.

>>926483
Wanna go drinking mate
>>
>>926519
If you like to see awkward people, any area with many love hotels is interesting to walk through at night.
>>
>>926401
I made a whole gaggle of friends underneath Sanjobashi bridge in Kyoto, mostly expats but a few locals too. It was a lot of fun, now that it's winter people probably aren't hanging out there as much, but it was really popular back in summer.
>>
>>926519
Shibuya. Ikebukoro for whores
>>
/jp/ has a good thread on Hokkaido going right now.
>>>/jp/12733868
Hopefully I linked that right. Any other Hokkaido suggestions?
>>
I'm visiting Japan for two weeks early next year with my boyfriend. This is the first time I have ever traveled abroad. We're visiting a buddy in Hiroshima, then putzing around Kyoto and then Tokyo for the rest of our stay. Public transit, hotels, language, none of that scares me. I'm anxious about the dumbest thing: laundry. Should I pack enough clothes for two weeks, or will I have an opportunity to wash some of my clothing?
>>
>>926741
All but one of the hotels I've stayed in had coin laundry available. Look into that first.
>>
>>926241
I don't think you're going to be able to find that anywhere. Also it doesn't really get that cold in Kyoto anyways
>>
>>926741
Washing machines and dryers in all hotels. Even if yours doesnt have one just drop into a toyoko inn or other business hotel that does.

Like all busy places, maybe best time to drop a load off would be around 3am
>>
Doing an all-round Japan sort of trip next summer, excluding Okinawa and Hokkaido. My plan is to start in Aomori and work my way down to Kagoshima, head back to Tokyo for two weeks and then go back home.

My option on going to Aomori is activating my railpass on day 1, spend a little time in Tokyo before heading onwards to Aomori (planning my time wisely so I'll be in Aomori as late as possible), go straight to my hotel and rest as much as I can.
Or I can choose to fly to Aomori airport from Tokyo - If I do this then I'll arrive in Aomori at around 1 pm. It would save me a day on one of the two rail passes that I intend to use throughout the journey, but I'm worried that I'll be way too exhausted after a 20+ hour flight with two transfers to even do anything that day. (I will be practicing on reducing the jet lag before I go, but flying is still damn exhausting)
What would /trv/ do in this situation?
>>
>>926784
Oh and I should probably add, if I fly to Aomori then it's part of a package, it doesn't cost anymore than it would to just fly to Tokyo.
>>
>>926754
>>926783
excellent, thanks guys.
>>
I had an dream about travelling around the more rural areas of Japan a while ago, might as well ask here if it's possible. Either camping or staying at small hostels/housestays in a town and then moving on after a few days around the country, is that sort of thing possible? Or will the police think you're homeless and send you home? I just think it'd be cool to wander and see stuff from a rural town point of view rather than a big city one.
>>
>>926825
Its all rice fields, mountains, and trees, theres nothing to see that isn't a guide book.
>>
Are they still planning on moving the Tsukiji Fish market next year?
>>
>>926880
Never mind. Looks like that's in 2016 now
>>
File: aVQQNRn_460sa_v1.gif (379 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
aVQQNRn_460sa_v1.gif
379 KB, 460x345
>>926825
Had two friends do that without any problems. One cycled through the country with a camping set, the other hitchhiked. Just take care of your Visa, I guess? When you arrive, they will ask where you stay, just a hostel address will do.

>>926566
>Wanna go drinking mate
Sure, but I don't know yet if I'll be coming to Tokyo. I'm in Tottori :)
>>
From the general consensus it seems fairly easy to become an English teacher in Japan if you have a degree . Is this true for someone with a bachelor's in psychology from a meh university
>>
>>926979
yes
>>
>>926825
I almost had trouble at customs when I was entering Japan. I was just going to basically bum my round kanto/kansai and find accommodation as I needed it.

I had booked a hostel for my first night, but due to my chosen airline being a shit, I missed my check in. Ergo, I didn't have an address to stay at when I got to Japan which raised red flags. Luckily I had a Japanese friend who's address I could use as a reference.

Just make sure you have an address they can cross check you at when you get to the country. Countries don't really appreciate travelers having no idea where they're staying.
>>
>>926979
The only requirements for the visa are
>4 year degree in anything from a real college
>Do not have an arrest record, especially for drugs
>>
>>926903
plz come
i dont wanna go to clubs/bars solo :(
>>
Has anyone ever tried couchsurfing in Tokyo?
Would you recommend it if its my first time going to Tokyo?
Ive never couchsurfed before.
>>
>>927055
Dont worry about it, ended up booking a room in Khaosan Asakusa Hostel.

Im the same guy in >>927054
lel
>>
I'm living in Yokosuka for 3 months working for the US Navy. One thing that is perplexing about Japan is the fact that EVERY Japanese cellular carrier only offers 2 year contracts. I cannot find a pre-paid SIM at all. Do any Japan-bros or travel extraordinaires have any tips for dealing with Japanese telecoms?
>>
So I've been staying in Tokyo for about two weeks now and will be headed back to the states in a few days. I've noticed a few things:

- Convenience stores are amazing.
- The city is incredibly clean (to the point where I came across a can and picked it up to toss it away as it seemed incredibly out of place).
- There does seem to be some anti foreigner sentiment with the middle aged crowd. Most people above and below that group don't seem to care.
- That said, the most I've dealt with is a cop asking where I was going (I wandered a bit too close to the Diet building) and a few Maid cafes not handing me their flyer(but others are emphatic).
- Women are women here. The sexes are different and they each seem to celebrate that rather than some misguided attempt to compare and be jealous at each other.

Obviously some of this is my surely romanticized view through a very pampered two weeks, but I'm curious for the people who have been here a while: What's the down side? What is the seedy underbelly that tourists don't see?
>>
Hey /trv/, I'll be heading to Japan for 2 weeks from 29th December to 12th January.

My plan is: 29th December to 5th January- Tokyo
5th to 9th - Kyoto
9th to 11th- Hiroshima

Then I travel back to Tokyo on the 11th since I have an early morning flight back at 8.50AM.

Some questions:
I just found there's a great wrestling show on the 10th in Tokyo but at the same time, I want to enjoy my visit to Hiroshima.
Do you recommend to stay the 2 days in Hiroshima or would one day be enough to experience it?

Also, since I have an early morning flight, would you recommend staying one night in a hotel or just skipping it entirely?
>>
Anyone want to hang out this saturday in Tokyo? Just looking for someone to talk to and maybe grab a bite to eat with or something before I head off to my destination. Would prefer not to get robbed also.
>>
File: Tamako in Moratorium 2013.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Tamako in Moratorium 2013.jpg
58 KB, 1280x720
>>926847
>Its all rice fields, mountains, and trees

and girls
>>
>>927073
>What's the down side? What is the seedy underbelly that tourists don't see?
Well, I've been here going on four years and I can honestly say I've never seen anything that makes me feel unsafe. Sure, there are the occasional stories on the news about a murder or a mssing person, but they're few and far between. The only times I've been even a little bit nervous is when I was passing by host clubs and some of the workers tried to get me to go in.
>>
>>927200
Yea. I noticed that. In the states there's always some story about a murder, kidnapping, shooting, etc. the worst I've seen here is a shoplifting story.

I definitely plan to come back soon.
>>
How does this itinerary sound? Realistic? I'll be travelling by rail (A couple of JR Passes), foot, bike and bus.
>Day 1: Tokyo
>Day 2 - 3: Aomori (with sidetrip to Mt. Osore)
>Day 4: Akita (Only got a single thing planned here)
>Day 5 - 7: Sendai (Yamadera, Ishinomaki and Shiroishi day trips included)
>Day 8: Aizu Wakashima (or suggestions for someplace else welcome)
>Day 9: Nikko
>Day 10: Saitama (+ Kawagoe)
>Day 11: Yokohama (<- just a day trip, will make my way towards Nagano/Matsumoto by evening time)
>Day 12: Tateyama/Kurobe alpine route (Starting from the Nagano side obviously)
>Day 13: Kanazawa
>Day 14: Tateyama + Shirakawago
>Day 15 - 16: Nagoya
>Day 17: Hikone
>Day 18 - 20: Kyoto
>Day 21 - 22: Mt. Koya
>Day 23 - 25: Osaka
>Day 26: Wakayama
>Day 27: Nara
>Day 28 - 29: Kobe (With daytrips to Himeji, Takarazuka and Takeda - Note that I have absolutely nothing planned for Kobe so it's the sidetrips I'm focusing on here)
>Day 30 - 31: Tottori (Want to see the Sand Museum, Sakanimoto, Enchoen -chinese garden- and then just explore un-touristy Japan)
>Day 31: Okayama (Ki castle and Kibi plain)
>Day 32: Takamatsu, Shikoku
>Day 33: Matsuyama, Shikoku
>Day 34: Onomichi
>Day 35: Hiroshima (With possible sidetrip to Iwakuni)
>Day 36: Miyajima (Going there around late noon after spending more time in Hiroshima, then sleeping here for the night)
>Day 37: Tsuwano
>Day 38 - 39: Fukuoka (With sidetrips to Kitakyushu and Dazaifu)
>Day 40: Beppu
>Day 41 - 42: Miyazaki (Trips to Takachiho Gorge, Sun Messe, Udo Shrine, Aoshima and Miyazaki shrine)
>Day 43 - 44: Kagoshima (Trip to Sakurajima and just general exploration)
>Day 45: ?? - Need to be in Tokyo by evening
>Day: 46 - 60: Tokyo
>Day 61: Kamakura/Enoshima (Using train pass)
>Day 62 - 63: Izu Peninsula (Using train pass)
>Day 64 - 67: Mt. Fuji and Hakone (Using train pass)

I only have the amount of days listed. Also, I'm the type of person who needs to do something nonstop which is why this might look a bit packed.
>>
>>926422
1 dont get it you will use metro sometimes and around tokyo it is not so expensive
2 if you have free internet in your place of stay dont otherwise do
3 yes, if you plan your trips beforehand [know where you are going] otherwise you need some knowledge of tokyo geography an language[some stations dont have maps with translation of stations] there is always somone on info desk who will help you get the right ticket
>>
>>926244
Interestingly enough, Kendo is a great way to get a work visa in Japan through a cultural studies visa. All you need is to practice the art for 6 months in your own country, documented.
>>
>>926998
Lol, some asshole American (I'm one too) sent himself a brick of week and then gave the gaijin house I was living at as an address. Cops kicked my door down at 8 am and pinned me until they found my passport, replete with a work visa and no weed!
>>
>>927087
You might want to go to Kyoto early and do hatsumode at Matsuo Taisha. They have some nice gold-leaf sake to drink.
>>
I'm going to Tokyo for holiday and also surveying around if this place is good for studying (language and potentially, master degree)

I'm planning to go there for a week, I wonder if that's enough time for looking around major suburb parts of Tokyo and few tourists spot?

Also, is hostel safe option for tourist in Japan? Like, will my stuff get stolen, even if I padlock it and stuff? Otherwise, I might have to book a normal hotel instead. I don't travel much, so any info on hostel/accommodation in Japan would be nice.
>>
>>927270
No, it's not. A month would be better
>>
>>927271
What would you do in a month though? bear in mind I'm just exploring Tokyo, not the whole Japan since I kinda have limited time out there.

Exploring some of the major suburbs and shopping areas in Tokyo should take between few days or maybe almost a week.

And then going to some of the tourist spots (let's say, 3-5 tourist spots) should take few more days as well.

I can see doing all of that might take maybe 2 weeks, but a month seems like a stretch to me. But of course, I might be naive since I'm not a experienced tourist, so I don't really have good estimation on these things.
>>
>>927272
Tokyo is huge!

Depending on how deep you wanna go you can stay there for a long time.
>>
>>927224
I find that, excluding the odd day trip, I'm rarely satisfied visiting somewhere for less than a few days. But this itinerary suggests to me that A) you're used to traveling like this and B) you've traveled Japan before. If so, full steam ahead.
>>
>>927292
Damn, fair enough. I might consider making my trip longer than a week at least.

But still, my main goal there is to look at the country way of living, culture, etc; y'know, that kind of stuff (basically, surveying).

The vacation is just a side-excuse. This is all just for deciding whether Japan is a good place to study or not. If it is, I'll go there study and visit the rest of the places during my study break.

So that's why I thought I don't need to stay there for a long time. But considering Tokyo is big (as you said), I might need more time then. Thanks for the input, appreciate it.
>>
>>927294
Life in Japan can be pretty different depending on where you are (like any other country) life in a huge city like Tokyo/New York/Sao Paulo is very different from life in a tiny town in the other side of the same country.
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 599x371) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 599x371
I wish when I were in Japan with free time someone asked me "where is the best place to get pussy" and them I would tell him that I know a place where he will be covered in pussy and them take him to Tashirojima.
>>
>>927298
My writing sucks! I should get some sleep.
>>
>>927295
Well yes, but I'm sure I'll be spending most of my time in Japan in Tokyo, so I should at least do my research on Tokyo, no?
>>
Do you think I'll be able to get a Japanese girlfriend when I have tattoos? They can be covered with pants and long sleeves, mind you.
>>
>>927313
see
>>926241

is this really an opinion indicative of a larger trend? Do people seriously think that Japan is some sort of pussy heaven?

why would anyone want to fuck a whiny, screaming zipperhead with misshapen breasts and unremarkable looks? Because that's the reality of what you're going to pick up on the streets. Japanese women with any looks whatsoever are not interested in degenerate foreigners, they're interesting in wealthy guys with prospects
>>
Can you go to Tokyo Disneyland on a whim or is likely that you can't get in?
>>
>>927317
I thought everyone can, as long as they have phat wallet
>>
>>927317
Why the hell wouldn't you be able to get into a massive theme park?
>>
>>927191
There are way more girls in the cities and the girls in cities look a lot better. The girls in the cities also put out since they don't have to worry about everyone in their small town knowing they're fucking the foreigner.
Girls in the city also tend to have their own place and not live with their parents
>>
>>927068
I know for a fact softbank offers prepaid phones.
>>
>>927315
lol can't get any pussy in Japan huh?
>>
>>927293
I've never actually been to Japan before, that's mostly the biggest reason why I'm unsure if this itinerary is ok. But I am used to travelling like that, yeah. Just enjoying a little bit of everything as a start and then revisiting the places I like most later on.
For most places, I only have stuff planned during morning and afternoon, and the rest of the time will be spent exploring new things. I'm also not expecting anything whatsoever, so if I get lost somewhere or decide that I'd rather spend an extra day in x then I'll do that. I'm gonna be picking a couple of big cities around the country as a base and then do daytrips from there rather than moving from city to city every day.
>>
>>927329
I went to SoftBank when I got here. They told me they only offer one shitty pre-paid phone from 1999. It costs like $55 and comes with 8 minutes. There are no monthly pre-paid plans, but you can buy minutes (no data) at like $25 for 30 minutes.
>>
>>927331
Good job missing the point of his post.
>>
Is there anything to do in Tokyo new years eve/ day? I've heard it is like Thanksgiving here in the states where everyone stays with their family and everything is closed. No new years party?
>>
>>927471
I was in Tokyo in december 31 some years ago. I went to Akihabara expecting to see some crazy thing like Hatsune miku but gradually every store closed up untill the street became deserted. The few people left in the streets were all heading the same way, not a single car around and a few Japanese teenagers dared to cross the deserted street when the lights were red for them getting all exited over doing something so outrageous as jaywalking in a deserted street. I followed the people to see where everybody was going and ended up in some sort of festival thing. A uphill street with food and entertainment stalls. At the end of it there was a temple where they hit a bell and made some mochi as new year tradition. And that's all. Stalls, bell and a monk in minimal clothing hammering mochi.
>>
>>927315
What makes you think he isn't those things? Maybe he's just on 4chan asking thse questions because he's not very sociable
>>
>>927315
I can get a girlfriend. I've had one before. My question about getting a Japanese girlfriend, while having tattoos, isn't some "can I get laid in Japan" question, it's a question as to whether or not you think a tattooed white man will be accepted in Japan to the point of being able to get a girlfriend. I'm aware of the prejudice in Japan towards tattooed people, but maybe things have changed. Or maybe this prejudice isn't so prevalent among the younger, twenty-something generation.
>>
>>927471

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHK_Hall

http://www.songkick.com/festivals/1195458-di-65hui-nhkhong-bai-ge-he-zhan/id/22334028-65nhk-2014

>Line-up: Exile, Perfume, AKB48, AAA...
maybe tikets will be a bit difficult
>>
>>927471
New Years is like a Tuesday in Tokyo. There will be a few bars and clubs open and there will be people out. But there are very few people and you're better off doing research before hand to see if your favorite bar or club is open. I think ended up in Golden Gai for the countdown which was kind of packed and then Roppongi after where it was pretty deserted.
>>
>>927536
>while having tattoos
ya ku za
>>
>>927328

what if they want to escape?
>>
>>927604
Them they would just move to the city like many young people do.
>>
File: catsdb.jpg (56 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
catsdb.jpg
56 KB, 1024x768
Evening bros.

The girlfriend and I are heading to japan for all of February and the start of march. The plan is to start north, see the snow festival, stay in sapporo for a week, the travel down. We have rail passes for the time we are there but have real obligations to be anywhere or do anything. We just want to see the most and experience the best. I've planned a day trip to Otaru because apparently that's where some of the best sushi comes from. I'm trying to find a collection of small things like that or secrets kept from most of the western world because of little advertising.

Tokyo, kyoto, hiroshima, nagasaki, are all main stops.

Looking for suggestions or things you guys have done that were really fun or amazing for one reason or another.

Thanks.
>>
>>927757
Kamakura
Nara
Miyajima

See if you can work those in, I really enjoyed them and each is near one of your main stops
>>
How should I carry money in Japan?
Should I exchange in the US or after I arrive there? And what would be a good amount of money to convert for spending money?
I'm going to be in Japan for a month and food and board is covered.
>>
I didn't think I would be bothered by being alone, but I am... Anyone want to hang out in shinjuku today? I need to buy some hiking shoes and would appreciate some company...
>>
For anyone in Tokyo right now I highly recommend the Pokémon center that just opened up in ikebukoro. Todays the last day theyre selling the pikachu wearing a charizard costume items.
>>
>>927930
I guess I'll go, since it's on the way back home. Thanks.
>>
>>927890
I'm in Odaiba right now. Would you like to meet up for drinks later?
>>
>>927827
on your person is fine. crime is virtually nonexistant, not an exaggeration
>>
>>927930
do you fags really like this shit?

I hope you aren't the same realtraveler posters who keep shitting this place up
>>
>>927055
>>927057
Not OP, I'm still interested in learning about couchsurfing in Japan.
>>
>>927986
Nigga you're on a website that was specifically made to talk about cartoons, get off your high dick.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Why would you get me into this, Anon...
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Cute
>>
>>927981
What time and where? I would be up, but I can't drink too much.
>>
>>928021
I don't really care. Just sitting around watching the Rainbow Bridge right now.
>>
>>928021
Also, I live in Yokosuka and have to be up early, so I don't have a lot of time myself.
>>
What are some fun things to do in Fukuoka?
>>
>>928015
that would be fine if this board wasn't constantly plagued with faggots who complain about "why would you go to a country just to go and get drunk lolol realtravel"

why would you go to a different country just to masturbate to chinese cartoons. Come on guys, you can do better than this
>>
>>928019

I got there when it just opened so there wasn't really a line
>>
>>928035
>>927986

Also, I've lived in Japan for the past year and a half. Was just trying to give suggestions on shit for people to go see.
>>
>>928030
Go see a Sumo match.
>>
Going to Kamakura tomorrow without anywhere to sleep. Feels pretty uncertain. I should book somewhere while I'm relaxing, but I have no idea.
>>
>>927353
Who the fuck are you calling? You use them for emailing. I have a real plan and I've spent maybe 30 minutes total talking on the phone over the last 2 years

En mobile sells mobile hot spots
>>
From Tokyo, how would one get to Mount Fuji? I've been looking on google but they give some different answers. Also, would it be worth a day trip to see it?
>>
Has anyone worked for Interac before? What are some good English teach companies to work for? JET isn't really an option because I currently live in Eastern Europe so there are no JET offices here (I'm from New Zealand though).
>>
>>928142
They have bus tours that'll take you around the mountain and you'll get a good look at the scenery. If you want to climb it I think you can just take the train to near the mountain and go from there.
>>
>>928142
>would it be worth a day trip to see it?

no, only if you have 2+ months to spend in the country (that is: after you complete the visit of Kyoto)

besides, you can see it from the observation decks at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building or from the Yokohama Landmark Tower

if you want the view from the Chureito Pagoda go by train to the Shimoyoshida Station and walk a bit North (or... buy a postcard)
>>
>>927812
Awesome i'll check them out. Thanks for the points.

>>927930
I didn't think this was a thing. Then I checked. And it is, in fact, a thing. This looks amazing! The partner will be ecstatic. Thanks mate.
>>
>>928142
I climbed it in September at it was quite fun but I think the climbing season is pretty much over until next summer. Just going near the mountain isn't that great IMO but you can get some pretty good views in the surrounding areas
>>
>>928151
You can see Fujisan from Tokyo only if the weather cooperates. When I was in Tokyo a few years ago, it was cloudy all the time (although the typhoon missed me).
>>
>>928144
I've been working for Interac for almost four years now. It's a pretty good gig.
>>
>>927057
Nice choice, stayed there before, gonna be there again in January. You got standard or luxury dorm?
>>
How would /trv/ divide 8 days in Kyoto, Osaka and Nara?
>>
>>928360
by not forgetting kobe
>>
>>928361
Oh no, Kobe is definitely part of the plan along with lots of other sights around the three cities mentioned above. The 8 days is just those three cities, I'm gonna travel around for two weeks afterwards with a rail pass.
>>
>>928367
If you power through Kyoto is totally doable in a day and a half. I much prefer Osaka since its a real city and not just temples on top of shrines on top of temples.
>>
File: 1158657.jpg (11 KB, 300x227) Image search: [Google]
1158657.jpg
11 KB, 300x227
Are jazz cafes still a thing? Have you been to one? What was it like?
>>
>>928371
They are a thing but nearly all of them will only have people that are 50+ years old. Japan has the second biggest jazz scene in the world
>>
Kamakura was disappointing. I guess I'm glad I went, but I booked two nights and basically did everything in six hours. I don't know if I should just hang out tomorrow and relax, or if I should seek out some things that I missed.
>>
Might be a stupid question, but where do you find people to talk to in Japan? I'm not asking where to get laid, I seriously just want to talk to people and get some sort of break from the immense loneliness and social exclusion of being a foreigner.

I know I should probably just get over it. I'm trying. I smile at people. I try to not have an aggressive American posture. I use Japanese most of the time. I'm polite in the subway and in the streets.

But nothing I do will make them less suspicious of me. I don't know if they are suspicious of me because of my age, or the way I dress, or what, but it's a bad feeling.
>>
>>928398

meetup dot com

>go to a Japanese-english language exchange
>not be a forever alone aspie
>make friends
>they invite you to meet their other friends etc.

Having a line id helps and if they ask you how long you've been there say like..a couple days or weeks so they're be more inclined to show you around.
>>
>>928404
I'm going to be here for a while. Thank you, friend. I will give it a look.
>>
>>928397
Yeah it's cool as a day trip but several days might be a drag.
>>
I was thinking that I wanted to stay in Osaka and Kyoto for at least four days each, and that I wouldn't go farther south than Kobe, but I'm getting bored quick, and I think I'll have time to go farther.

Is Fukuoka worth the trip? Any small towns in between the two?
>>
>>928398
>my age
>>928404
If you're under 35 this is excellent advice. International parties are the best way to meet people. The ones on meetup I think are better for making friends, the other ones (google them) that are held at night are better for meeting girls.
>>
File: ò_ó.jpg (497 KB, 1598x1065) Image search: [Google]
ò_ó.jpg
497 KB, 1598x1065
>>
>>928398
They're suspicious of you because you're not Japanese. Welcome to being a foreigner in Japan.
Nihonjinron.
>>
>>926422

1: Not really because the JR lines in Tokyo aren't as efficient as the metro. I will say that that's WAY too long for Tokyo though, and you should consider visiting the following places in the wider region:

Yokohama
Kamakura
Hirosaki
Nikko

2: Free internet is fairly limited - If you have an IOS device you can access facebook and your emails outside of a 7/11 (or 7 & Ii Holding). Starbucks is the best place to get good free internet.

Consider getting a package from Wi2 - They have hotspots in lots of places and it's 3000 jpy a week - Less coverage but much cheaper than portable wifi.

3: Yes and no. What's baffling about the train system is that the platforms themselves scarcely have a map of the train lines, which is fucking stupid when a lot of trains only have their final destination, rather than a list of 'via' stations.

The signs change from kanji to romanji so if you can't read kanji that's fine, you just might have to wait.

Typically there's 3 types of trains: Local, rapid and express. Local trains stop at every station along the way, rapid skips a few and express only stops at the major stations.

Sometimes the local trains are so slow, it's worth getting a rapid or express even if it goes past your stop, as it can be quicker to get off and transfer to a local train than get a local all the way.

4: Visit some of the places I recommended above, but bear in mind that they will be busy around the holidays.

If you do get the rail pass, you can go fucking ANYWHERE in Japan with it so consider that as well. Sometimes I would get up really early in the morning, jump on the shinkansen and sleep all the way.
>>
>>926485

Most forms of prostitution other than actual sex are legal in Japan, so it can very well be included. Or you can just go to a 'blowjob bar' in Otsuka and be blown by three women for ten minutes each for around 3500jpy, you filthy animal.
>>
>>926784

If you're in Aomori, go to Osorezan, it's fucking mindblowing.
>>
Here's some advice which you won't typically hear:

Japan isn't as safe a country as it's made out to be.

I got spiked and had all of my stuff stolen, including my passport which left me unable to check into any accommodation (I was there for another two months at this point). The police did fuck all, and wouldn't even record it as a crime because there was no evidence to substantiate it.

The crime figures are artificially low because the police won't record a crime unless they're pretty certain they can convict someone for it.

Trip turned out to be more interesting in the end - Spent weeks on the streets of Tokyo, then somehow ended up as an English teacher in Nagoya.. .
>>
>>928457
What did you do to get spiked?
>>
>>928453
If you speak decent Japanese, and even then its a crap shoot, depending on how racist the girls are and if they've ever had a problem with a foreigner before
>>
>>928451
JR Lines scarcely have maps which is fucking retarded, but the metro and toei lines have a ton of maps

I believe all the subway stations have wifi now, but I know for a fact that all the major stations do. Theres been a big campaign promoting them recently

.>>926422
New Years in Japan is basically a Tuesday night. Tokyo is one of the largest cities in the world so there will be people out, but most places will be pretty dead. I found things to do last year, but you're mostly going to be hanging out with other foreigners not Japanese people.
>>
>>928458
Honestly, I don't remember. I was in a bar in Ueno, and the next thing I woke up face down near landmark tower in Yokohama with all my stuff missing.
>>
>>928463
Was it a bar or a hostess? I've had friends get spiked but they've all done dumb things like go alone into a hostess or were led into an empty "bar" by a girl way out of their league. The police here are total shit but they are also pretty corrupt, they don't fuck with the yakuza and the yakuza don't fuck with them. All those operations are yakuza
>>
>>928464
Probably. I mean, I lived in Japan some time ago and in Japan vending machines stay unattended in the middle of nowhere or in alleys, a girl would walk alone late at night though dark streets to go to a convenience store without any worry and small children take public transport to go to school by themselves. All this already makes Japan infinitely safer than what I'm used to in my country.
>>
Has anyone been to the Tokyo Pub Crawl?
Ill be there in January, might join them for a weekend.
>>
>>928464
Wasn't a hostess bar (Why the hell would I pay to speak to a woman in a bar, when I can just approach and speak to a woman in a bar and perhaps actually get somewhere?)

It was just a regular bar.

The Yaks generally don't fuck around with foreigners unless they do something to really piss them off. Causing an incident with a foreigner can upset the careful power balance you noted between the police and Yakuza - It's more than just letting each other get on, they have an almost symbiotic relationship
>>
Im going to Japan in January and I heard there was a some kind of Tour of Tum Burton going through it from nov. 15-Jan 4th. It's then suppose to go on to Osaka, but I cant seem to find the dates, does anyone know?
>>
File: image.jpg (269 KB, 2448x1264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
269 KB, 2448x1264
Brazilian here, going to study in Japan in an exchange program next year. Considering the eligibility criteria I can go to Tokyo University, Hokkaido University and Shibaura Institute of Technology.

I'm trying to decide which one should I put in the first option, Tokyo or Hokkaido. Since I'm not fluent in Japanese, in Hokkaido I would go in the HUSTEP program. That doesn't offers much stuff in my field per se but Tokyo have this limitation:
>Almost lectures are given in Japanese. Students in this “Science without Borders” Program can not get the official transcript about the grade and credits.However they can join labo work and meeting under the supervising professor.

So I want to focus in research and contact making opportunities. Anyone here have any experience in studying in these universities? Remember that I'm not fluent in Japanese and Tokyo-U page seems less English friendly than Hokkaido's one. Maybe they just have a shitty page or maybe their researchers really aren't very good with English.

I'm interested in biomechanics, prosthetics, orthosis, etc if this helps.
>>
>>928548
Your Japanese will probably get a lot better if you're in Hokkaido, out of necessity.

Tokyo is a tough city man. The sheer volume of people, noise and pace of life really fucking crushes a lot of people who go over, even from other parts of Japan. The people there are a lot less friendly than in other parts of the country, and you can expect to be treated as if you're a tourist by everyone you meet.

Hokkaido is beautiful, the air is cleaner and there's a shitload to do in terms of winter sports and things like mountain climbing.
>>
>>928569
I have been in Japan before and I can blend in well (I look like a generic Asian)

Personally I see myself as a urban guy and I'm used to monster cities but I don't really like hot weather (despite being from Brazil) and I never been to Hokkaido so I'm interested in the place.

But I'm there mainly for academical reasons. I want to know where they will give better opportunities to English speaking students.
>>
>>928594

The weather thing is a big one since Tokyo in a summer (as well as everywhere south of Aomori) is horrid.

You won't blend in so well once people start speaking to you though. Even if you were born in Japan, were half Japanese, lived in the country your entire life, speak the language perfectly and know every nuance of the culture but you STILL won't be part of the society because you're not fully Japanese.

Don't try to integrate because it's like banging your head on the brick wall. Being on the periphery of society makes life far more interesting anyway. Until you meet the police, then it sucks.
>>
>>928596
I'll take a little hot humid over so fucking cold you can't even go outside any day of the week.
>>
>>928457
I don't understand why you're even bothering to post? This is by far an exception to the rule. You're just an idiot. It's your own fault. Were you robbed at knife point? At gun point? Beat up in the street? No, you were drugged, which regardless of where you are, is a common, easy crime.

I can't even explain how safe this place is. I'm from Washington DC, before it was covered in wasps, and I still check my pockets and belongings every few minutes. Wallet and everything important goes in my front pockets, etc. It's totally unnecessary though, and more and more, I'm feeling stupid acting so cautious.

I'm wearing a Rolex Submariner, which is by no means a low profile watch, but I haven't even seen anyone so much as glance at it. If these people are covetous, they sure don't show it.
>>
>>928594
If you're going to learn Japanese, Tokyo is the worst city you could choose.

But for academic merit and contact making opportunities, it's probably the best. Being one of the highest ranked universities in the world, having that on your resume would be invaluable. Too bad the lectures are in Japanese.
>>
>>928602

It's not a 'little hot and humid', it's stand outside and instantly be drenched in sweat owing to the extreme humidity. At least in the cold you can dress warm, there's little you can do to mitigate that heat other than wear a yukata or similar.

>>928605
Totally my own fault bro, I even told the guys they could drug me and drop me off 25 miles away.

You're deluded if you think Japan is a safe country. It's safe-ER than many places in the world (DC is a bad reference point because of the obscene crime rate) but there's still a lot of violent crime, as well as other weirder types of crime (stalking and the like) which goes unrecorded simply because the police can't be bothered.

My friend was assaulted at work in Osaka station by some old dude who fucking slapped her across the face because he didn't want to wait for the queues to die down before he went through the gate. Police did fuck all despite witness statements and everything.

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/views/editorial/AJ201408070026

This scandal which broke recently is happening all over Japan, a country which values appearances over all else. The low crime figures are complete horse shit. Loads of people said to me "Oh there's Chinese gangs in Ueno" because even the people have deluded themselves into believing the Japanese are incapable of crime.

I've been on the other side of society in Japan - I've slept rough on the streets and met with others who have done so, as well as Yaks, drug dealers and all kinds of nefarious characters.

In addition, there are so many homeless people in Japan, and they live in increasingly large shanty towns which exist right in the middle of the cities, typically hidden amongst flyovers, where they hoard all kinds of bags and stuff for things they can sell, recycle to stay alive.
>>
>>928610

Japan may be a police state, but truth is most of their convictions are based on forced confessions, so if they do arrest and charge someone, chances are they have the wrong person altogether. You get charged, you're fucked because they'll use psychological torture (sleep deprivation) and possibly physical to coerce a confession out of you.

If you go on trial in Japan and are found not guilty, the prosecution can (and will) appeal that decision and retry you, and they will keep doing so until you're found guilty and sent to prison.

This isn't much of a deterrent to crime because the police seem to suck at actually getting the real perps unless they're caught red handed - That's why there's large numbers of 'wanted' posters in the big cities. All the fucking paperwork and bureaucracy stops the actual job of policing being done.

I blacked out a second time in Yokohama and then woke up in a Koban - With no passport, no extra clothes, nowhere to stay, injured and with potentially dangerous substances in my system, the police essentially told me to fuck off to the embassy and get a new passport, even though it wasn't open for two days and there was a fucking typhoon about to make landfall.

Utter, utter dicks the Japanese police are.
>>
Simple question guys. I might be able to go to Japan either around February / Beginning of March, or during the month of July.

Which choice is best choice (cold/hot is not a problem in itself).
>>
>>928596
Genetically speaking I'm 100% Japanese. I'm a mix of two Japanese ethnic groups. On the other hand I was born and raised in west and my Japanese vocabulary is poor. I can go grocery shopping just fine but I can't keep a conversation.

About heat, yeah, I'm aware of their hot summers. I never experienced it but I saw their weather forecast in summer and it can be as hot as a very hot day here, and I don't like this.

>>928606
Yeah, Tokyo University is very famous, I just don't know if I will have the chance to get in touch with all the opportunities there.

I wonder what they exactly do in those "labo work and meeting".
>>
>>926241
if you can't get an apartment in your home country, you can't get one in japan
>>
>>928437
thank you. i was planning on doing that as well
>>
>>928610
Can't really argue with any of that, but I think it's unfair to claim that people who think Japan is safe are "deluded". You would have to come from some European country like Norway or Finland to find this place unsafe. By American standards, this place is quite safe, which I don't think anyone would bother debating.

I don't really want to go to Osaka anymore though.

Nevertheless, as true as what you're saying is, it is a minority opinion. It's awful, and sounds miserable, but it doesn't happen all the time. It's important to keep in mind, but not something that should really influence your decision to come here.
>>
Damn, some people are describing Japan as a warzone.
>>
I lived in dobutsune-Mae in Osaka for two months, apparently one of the shittiest areas in Kansai and I never felt unsafe. The worst that happened was the odd homeless guy or prostitute try and approach me or the time a Nigerian kept staring at me and this grill while we were drinking in amerimura.

For the average gaijin you will never experience any crime unless you go looking for it. Petty crime here is even less common than the UK if you ask me
>>
>>928661

Sadly the Japanese people are deluded in a lot of ways, it's why the country is going to really start struggling in about 50 years - Pathetic old man bureaucrats are running Japan into the ground with their unwillingness to adapt to the modern age.

I fucking love Osaka, it's a terrific city.

I love going to Japan on the whole, despite what happened to me. I spent about a month living rough and then through a brother of a friend of a friend ended up as an English teacher in Nagoya for a while (work for board and food, couldn't be paid for visa reasons but I was happy with that)

Even though I was down and out, at least Japan was still interesting - My life at home is pretty mundane so it was a real change to wake up every morning not knowing what would happen - It toughened me as a person
>>
in few days i'm flying out of japan via narita airport. do i need to reserve seat now for narita express or can i buy ticket right on the spot on tokyo station?
>>
>>928737
you can get it straight at the airport
>>
>>927353

craigslist. that's where I bought mine and then sold it for the same price 6 months later.
>>
>>928741
i'm going to the airport and not from it.
>>
>>928744
You need a reservation for the NEX but you can just make it on the day at the station.
>>
File: 1413548561189.gif (2 MB, 395x310) Image search: [Google]
1413548561189.gif
2 MB, 395x310
Where can I find a good quality Japanese street map (whole of Japan, those maps you fold in and out) with a credible scale (less than 1 in 2million or about)?

I imagine they would be all in Japanese. The ones I have found in stores and online (German, Spanish and English speaking) aren't as detailed as I would want.

Anyone with experience on this?
>>
>>928753

ask the Japan Automobile Federation:

http://www.jaf.or.jp/e/
>>
>>928753
You're going to be frustrated because only major roads and streets actually have names. The Japanese address system is retarded

http://www.sljfaq.org/afaq/addresses.html

It's none-sequential (well it is in a weird manner) and I really struggled without a device with GPS. The building numbers change over time so you need to make sure the map is very up to date.

A large map will be helpful for navigating inter city, but nearly all the rental cars have GPS built in anyway
>>
I have a question concerning bars/clubs in Tokyo:
I'm 19 and alcohol is from 20 on. Do people check your ID?
I'm in Fukuoka currently and have never been asked for it.
>>
>>928770

Some clubs check on the door but I never once got checked in bars or buying alcohol in convenience stores - I'm 24 but look very young.
>>
How important is it to be able to speak Japanese if studying in Tokyo? Of course I'll learn what I can but do many people there speak English?
>>
>>928770
I was never asked ever at a bar in Tokyo. I was always asked at any decent club, but they only check to make sure you're 18 and they never card for alcohol.

The only time anyone I know was ever carded was at the end of my summer study abroad and there was an old cunt at the neighborhood 7-11 that started carding my friends because we went there and drank in the parking lot about once a week all summer
>>
File: Japan_sex_by_age_2010.png (31 KB, 978x639) Image search: [Google]
Japan_sex_by_age_2010.png
31 KB, 978x639
>>928732
Fifty years? More like 20. Look at their age/sex pyramid. Japan has the highest average which is around 60 if I recall correctly.
They are fucked if they don't :

a. make lots of babies (not gonna happen)
b. open to immigration
>>
>>928792
Not very - I know plenty of people who work there who barely know the language, a few basics and a network of friends is well enough to get by. This is one of the reasons Tokyo is problematic if you want to improve your Japanese (and that's IF), it's not necessary to survival.
>>
>>928805
This reminds me of the hentai where a doc created a cyborg chick to try to get Japanese guys to man up and start procreating. I think it was called Marine a Go Go
>>
>>928811
The solution to this demographic problem isn't hentai... or anime at all.

They would have to change their country and culture to insure their survival, but doing so jeoparidzes their way of life.
>>
File: 1415086135328.jpg (85 KB, 696x713) Image search: [Google]
1415086135328.jpg
85 KB, 696x713
>>928816
>the solution isn't hentai

look at this scrub
>>
File: Patch.jpg (215 KB, 1063x598) Image search: [Google]
Patch.jpg
215 KB, 1063x598
Friends, what does this mean?
Found a cool patch and didn't know what it would say.
>>
>>928805
>a. make lots of babies (not gonna happen)
>b. open to immigration

shlomo, please.
>>
>>928816
The work ethic is what's killing the birth rate
>>
>>928823
http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q14111889959

it means be prepared (in mind, body and skill)
>>
>>928823
>>928827
it's a boy scouts patch btw
>>
>>928753

http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/isbn/9784398201041/

other normal maps an wall maps:

http://www.maps2anywhere.com/Maps/Japan_road_map.htm
>>
>>928827
Ah thank you.
>>928828
Interesting, why would the Scouts have a patch in Japanese?
>>
>>928805
Not sure if you know but they already have lots of immigrants. They are from other Asian countries and Japanese descendants born Brazil.
>>
>>928868
Not nearly enough to sustain the declining population
>>
>>928837
Boy Scouts exist in Japan, too...
>>
>>928823
>>928828
>>928900
I'm putting together a resume to use for teaching jobs in Japan. Should I bother to put that I'm an Eagle Scout on there? It's opened a few doors for me here in the States, but I'm not sure if anyone gives a shit in the rest of the world.
>>
>>928983
I have no idea. I was going to read about it but i got lazy instead, but heres some basic info

googling "boyscouts" gives 18,000.000 hits, and googling "ボーイスカウト" gives 690,000

in google news, "boyscouts" is all about sex abuse cases. "ボーイスカウト" however yields info on all the community activities they are doing and offer.

so, i guess it's much less popular in japan, but it doesn't seem to have any baggage either.

what area/city do you plan on teaching in? you might want to google that area + ボーイスカウト.... i assume they are few and far in between in japan, and unless they are active in that area, i have a hard time imagining them being known.
>>
>>928868
If they give enough benefits for couple who have more children I will move there and have at least two kids.
>>
>>928868
I don't consider 3% immigrants a lot. Also, most of them are asian (from China and Korea), which does not really help the gene pool... but that's another topic entirely.
>>
>>928661
What's wrong with Osaka?

America Town or whatever it's called seemed like a shithole and was full of niggers, and those ultranationalists went down the main street in their party van yelling about Koreans, but apart from that it seemed pretty safe. Granted, I was only there a couple of days.
>>
>>926422
I'm going to be in japan, not sure when, but if you want, we could hang out.

[spoilers] i can moonrune[/spoilers]
>>
>>929005
My bad, I'm in japan from the 9th to the 15th. I'm going to be with my parents, but it would be nice to have someone to say im going to see and do normal teenager stuff in japan, if anyone's going to be there.

steam is id/degozaruu
>>
>>929000
Must have been totally awful having to see black people you shit.
>>
>>929015
Honestly yes, it was awful seeing thug niggers and Nigerians.

Aren't they predominantly criminals/pawns of the Yakuza?
>>
>>929015
>He's never been to Roppongi
>>
I've been here five days, and I'm scared shitless to go out at night. I left tokyo a couple days ago, and the most I did at night was buy some shit in Akiba at night. In tokyo it's easier to predict where you might get robbed though.

I'm in my capsule in Kobe right now, and it seems like there's a pretty good night scene, but I'm too nervous. I am alone, so there's a bigger risk, even if I take nothing except cash with me. You anons are making me paranoid as fuck.

Anyway, are there anything to do in Kobe at night that won't get me robbed or freezing my was off? I'm near Sannomiya.
>>
>>929028
If you actually talk to those guys most are cool and hate their jobs but they are being paid by the number of people they bring into the bar/club and if their Yakuza bosses don't see them talking to literally every single person on the street they get in a ton of trouble.
>>
>>929044
Not him, but I work with niggers, and I really hate them, so seeing them on my vacation, in my case, is annoying. They are a nuisance to look at.
>>
Aside from that, no matter who they are or what the color of their skin is, they work for, or are, criminals. They may joy rob you in the street, but they will find other ways to ruin you.
>>
>>929038
From wikipedia:
>In recent years, the number of crimes in Japan has decreased. In 2002, the number of crimes recorded was 2,853,739. This number halved by 2012 with 1,382,154 crimes being recorded. In 2013, the overall crime rate in Japan fell for the 11th straight year and the number of murders and attempted murders also fell to a postwar low.

You will in all likelihood be fine. Be vigilant, don't take your eyes off of your drink in a club like the fellow in this thread did, keep as much as you can to well-lit areas and you ought to be fine. I've lived here for four years and walked around alone at night quite a bit and nothing unnerving has happened.
>>
Gonna be in the Hakodate/Sapporo areas for a long while starting next month. Can anyone recommend any otaku spots (anime, manga, toys, games)?
>>
>>929038
Spikedbro here - as the other anon said, just being vigilant will be enough.

I was an obvious target cause I had my backpack (containing everything) with me so easy to pick out of the crowd as a traveler, plus parts of Ueno can be quite sketchy. Just keep a level head and don't get too drunk. See if Couchsurfing has a community in Kobe (they probably will) and attend a weekly meetup.
>>
What the fuck is all this talk about Japan being dangerous? I've never felt in any danger at any time when I was there (other than being in the ocean when the tides started), and this included walking around shit faced at 3 AM, leaving my backpack with passport, wallet, camera etc. open by accident etc.
>>
>>929066

Depends on your situation - I've spent a few months in Japan, and when I had all my stuff it was perceptively a crime free haven.

Spend a few weeks on the streets however and you see all kinds of shit.
>>
>>929066
>>929072

Plus, everything is relative. It's much safer than most of the world still, but falsified statistics and naive attitudes have led people to believe it's safer than it really is. It's much worse if you're a woman though.
>>
>>929072
well that's not a situation that you will be in as a normal tourist usually
>>929075
Is there any place that's safer than Japan in the world? Because I haven't been to any I believe
>>
>>929078

I'd say countries like Switzerland and Sweden.

One of the really horrific things about Japan is that you can quite literally get away with murder if you're below the age of majority. I've seen extremely horrific cases of crimes committed by minors, only for them to be released after a few years with little more than a slap on the wrist.

https://ripeace.wordpress.com/2012/09/14/the-murder-of-junko-furuta-44-days-of-hell/

Reading this will probably really upset you - The Japanese legal system is just so fucking fucked...
>>
>>929086
>little more than a slap on the wrist.
k, there have been some strange sentences passed down sometimes, but I disagree with the description that Japanese jail is a "slap on the wrist". There have been reports of prisoners getting to eat their meals with their hands cuffed behind their backs. Kneeling on the floor. That is Guantanamo style.
>>
>>929086
I live in Austria and I feel more unsafe than in Japan (I don't feel unsafe at all though).

I lived in Ireland and the police didn't do anything about underage hooligans who just destroyed stuff and attacked people so I don't think that's a Japan only thing
>>
can i get a pre-paid SIM card in Narita airport? i need one for just a week.
>>
>>929088

Seven years of that for raping and torturing a girl to death over the course of 44 days in comparison to the magnitude of the crime committed is a slap on the wrist.

I'd have had them skinned.
>>
>>929095
Im sure we can both agree that this sort of crime isn't exactly common, thank god, and theres no punishment strong enough for it.
People escaping punishment for crimes with a slap on the wrist isn't unique to japan (see: the kid who run several people over to death and escaped prison because he has a medical condition in the us). Even here in canada, pedophiles and other sexual criminals get away with less than ten years in prison, even if theyre repeat offenders. Courts being soft on crime is a general trend in modern society, even when horrific acts are commited, rather than the fault of one perticular justice system.
>>
>>929099

Nothing of that magnitude is common anywhere in the world, but attacks on women are quite common in Japan (weird shit like skirt slashing and more 'regular' things like chikan)

The problem here is the fact that no matter how severe your crime in Japan, if you're under the age of majority, you simply get away with it. Serious crimes should always be tried the same, adult or not
>>
>>929054
Second.
>>
>>929038
I lived in Japan for 3 months some time ago in Shimizu to be more specific. Teenage girls would walk in dark streets late at night without any worries. I slept in Tokyo circular train and was around late at night a lot since I was working half of the time in the night shift.

Japan was the safest place I have ever been. The crime is so low that in the city I was there would be a 4 floor store with only one worker per floor in the opposite side of the door and no security cameras at all.
>>
>>929038
I'm sorry your fear is affecting your enjoyment of Japan, but there's nothing to be afraid of. As others here have said, Japan is one of the safest countries in the world.

I've been there twice and I'm moving there next month. On nights I was by myself in Tokyo and Osaka my friends advised me to act like you would anywhere in the world. I never had any problems. Be alert to your surroundings, watch your drinks when you put them down, don't get too drunk, and carry yourself confidently. Don't be rude to people, but remember that muggers usually target those who they perceive as weak, fearful, and/or oblivious.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>929170
Thanks. I just had a wonderful day in Kobe. Kobe is fairly close to Osaka, and after I realized I was being dumb, I haven't even been remotely worried.

Really, there's a lot to do at night in most cities, but not alone. I don't mean from a risk analysis point of view, just that it's boring. Restaurants are usually for couples, and the only places lonely people go are chains. I've eaten makudo like five times because I was too timid to walk into places with lots of couples.

Some things just aren't appropriate for lonely travelers. I'm a pretty timid person. I don't like feeling stupid and getting hung up with the language barrier, so I avoid a lot of things.
>>
I haven't been back in the US for a long time, but it's basically the same concept. You're not going to walk into a trendy cafe alone just to drink coffee and eat some sweets. You wouldn't go to Olive Garden to eat alone. The US is a little better for lonely people. Chinese buffets are everywhere, and fast food, and mall food courts are excellent. The idea of a hole in the wall sashimi restaurant or soba house is really totally silly in America, even in cities.

Not that I don't like it. It would be great if I had a gf, or even another traveler with me.
>>
>>929294
>You're not going to walk into a trendy cafe alone just to drink coffee and eat some sweets.
I do this all the time and see plenty of other people doing the same. And there is actually a movement in recent years to popularize "solo" entertainment, be it dining, karaoke, etc. But whatever.
>>
>>929292
wtf. japan is one of the best places to solo travel. so many restaurants have counters. just sit there, have a beer or a glass of wine or whiskey or whatever and bullshit with the people behind the counter. japanese people are only robotic if you let them be.
>>
>>929292
>>929297
I hear ya. I maintain a good mix of solo and group outings most of the time, but sometimes I just want to be alone. I don't really worry about what others think. Besides, on nights I was alone in Japan I was always able to meet people and acquire lady digits. It's easy. A shower, a smile, respect, and humor go a long way even with the language barrier :D
>>
Anyone ever tried torrenting in a manga cafe? will I get my balls busted for dling a few films?
>>
>>929292
>>929294

Couldn't you at least go to one of the numerous salaryman-oriented places with single seats instead of Mickey D's? I actually love how many restaurants in Japan are geared to lone diners.

Regardless, when I travel, I have absolutely no shame about rolling up to restaurants, movies, and attractions solo. No one has reacted poorly to it yet, and in fact it's caused other solo travelers to see me alone and come introduce themselves.

Look up a good restaurant nearby and go eat there by yourself tonight. It'll be tasty and uneventful at worst.
>>
Thinking of staying in a manga cafe when i go to Osaka. Are there any particularly good ones?
>>
>>929313
They don't usually have torrenting programs installed on the computers there.
>>
>>929313
They might block it, but I remember the time I tried at a cafe it wasn't blocked. Japan based a bunch of crazy laws where you will go to jail for years and years if you're caught.

But not a single person has been prosecuted under the law. Japan does not give a single shit about people downloading American media and enough people support Japanese media that they don't even bother to check. They just passed that shit so the MPAA would leave them alone
>>
>>929292

you do realise how rare it is for kyoto to get proper snow? you missed a trick today.

clear as fuck nights in winter so it is well worth going up mt rokko when it is dark. view is great.
>>
>>929075

according to something I read recently (which I can't seem to find any more), osaka is officially the most crime-free city in the world this year. I think doha or some such locked down emirate city was second. stats are stats of course.
>>
Hey /trv/, will be heading to Tokyo after next week, I know subway's the best method of travel but besides using the JR pass, are there any sort of pass for me to travel on the subways?

Only one I found so far is this:

http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/travel/index.html

Worth it?
>>
>>929359
You only need the suica card really
>>
>>929359
Theres a day pass for each of the companies and one combined day pass. But unless you go to like 5 different places its not worth the money
>>
Any canadians that have been to Japan know if it really is as expensive as they say?

I look at prices for things and it seems like food/drink/entertainment doesn't seem that pricy. Any canadabros can elaborate from firsthand experience?
>>
>>929382
Actually i'd say it's about the same as in canada. big cities are expensive like in toronto, unless you are intentionally being thrifty, and in smaller towns of about 100k, you'll spend about as much on regular food and entertainment as you did in canada
>>
>>929359

SUICA

PASMO

REAL SIMPLE
>>
>>929382
Bear in mind the JPY is at a 5 year low against a lot of currencies at the moment, to the point where it has made it cheaper despite the 3% 'consumption tax' increase.

I think a lot of people who say Japan is super expensive do so either because it's a hangover from before the 'bubble economy' burst and it really was, or they're used to western style hotels which are pretty expensive compared to business hotels and the like.
>>
>>929307
I went into a takoyaki restaurant in Kyoto and was handed a sign which said (in English):

"WE DON'T SERVE RAMEN OR SUSHI HERE, IS THAT OKAY?"

I explained to the dude (in Japanese) that I really like Takoyaki, and then spent the rest of the evening drinking beers and chatting to him as well as other patrons who started speaking to me. Little experiences like that have happened throughout my travels in Japan

>TFW when I'm the guy in the thread who got spiked and it totally undermined my confidence to carry on doing it
>>
>>929313
I was staying at them quite a lot when I was trying to find shit to do - I ended up downloading steam and playing some of my games a few times as the machines were pretty high spec.

Bare in mind I was broke and didn't have anywhere else to stay
>>
>>929382
> Any canadians that have been to Japan know if it really is as expensive as they say?

Japan being expensive is a myth. The myth stems from BS cost of living surveys based on corporate expat packages of people who go overseas to live like westerners. Tokyo, often ranked as the "most expensive city in the world", is a downright bargain in many regards compared to many other first world mega cities.

The reason? You can actually stay in the most happening and coolest parts of the city if you are simply willing to stay at a Japanese style business accommodations hotel instead of a Western equivalent.

Food? Sit down meals can be had for $10 USD or less all day every day. $5 ramen is everywhere.

Beer at a "cool" bar in Shinjuku like in the Golden Gai area will run you about $5 a bottle and there is no tipping in Japan so at the end of the night you're really on par with any other major western city if not cheaper. Nomihoudai (all you can drink) is great if you are a big drinker who just wants to get shit faced on piss water beer. $25 bucks will usually get you a few hours of unlimited beer.

Only thing that might be expensive is if you are a clubber. Clubs in Japan often times have pretty steep cover charges ($20-$30 is relatively common at popular clubs).

Taxis are also expensive as fuck but you shouldn't be using those anyway.
>>
What kind of things can you have someone name in Kanji custom printed/written/etc onto as a gift?

What would be a good souvenir from Japan that is distinct enough from China/Chinese culture that I could give to a Chinese friend of mine(girl)?

I live here but I can't think of anything
>>
>>929382
Torontofag here.
Maybe i was just watching my spendings, but from my experience tokyo is not more expensive than living in toronto. The rest of japan is actually cheaper.
If you dont splurge like crazy youll be fine. As the other dude mentioned: No tipping in japan = eating in resturants/getting smashed is cheaper than it is in toronto.
>>
A cute girl at the Levi's store in Koshien bullied me into buying 20000Y jeans...
>>
>>929556
I live here too and I can't think if anything either. Maybe some shisa dogs or ceramic koi with cute faces?
>>
Which Kyoto ryokan is best ryokan?

Price isn't an issue, I'd love to have the samurai retreat experience.
>>
So, I'm planning to visit Japan for 2 weeks next september.

I've been to Tokyo before for a week last february.
Since one of my friends is a weeaboo, he's coming with me this time.

The flights and hotels are pretty much set but I'm still not sure about the weather.

How's it gonna be in late september?
We will stay in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka, with daytrips to Hiroshima and Niigata.

I've read a lot about how beatiful it is in october but unfortunately I'll be in the military by then.
>>
>>929650
I was there in September this year. Weather was pretty nice, hardly any rain and still rather hot (25+ degrees each day). Feels more like summer rather than fall
>>
How homophobic and xenophobic are Japanese people? Being a black/gay, I'm hesitant to look for any clubs or bars
>>
>>929650
Late September can still be quite warm, depending on your luck.

If you catch some warm days, it will feel like summer, otherwise just like fall, just without much rain.
>>
>>929694
Can you speak Japanese (at least to some degree?)

If yes, you'll be fine in the local scenes, otherwise they might shut you out because they want to prevent "misunderstandings".

Also, most love hotels need to have at least one female (but there are some catering to gay males as well)
>>
みんな、 こんにちは!

I'm going to go to Japan next year (or at least am going to apply to the JET program; a friend of mine who's done it says that my credentials should put me ahead of the pack). At that time I'll have a bachelor's degree in English and have completed my school's ESL program.

The only thing that worries me is that since I'm not an English ed major I can't get official TEFL certification, but the head of my school's TESOL program has said that he'd personally vouch for not only my completion of the ESL courses (the same that any English ed major would have to go through to get certification) but also my ability (since I've been pretty close to the top of all the courses I've taken; 3/5 down so far. One more class next semester and then a teaching practicum to finish things off).

What do you think of this? I'm aware that the only thing really required to qualify for the JET program is a 4-year degree, but I feel like having one in English and my ESL certification (such as it is) will put me ahead of the pack and help to secure a definite place in 日本。

The JET website really gives an impression of "there are tons of applicants and you have a snowball's chance in hell of actually getting in", so I'll take whatever advantage I can get.

Unless the reality is different from what their website says and they'll take most anyone.
>>
>>929708
They'd rather have a native without a spine than somebody who may try to stir up some shit.

If you can show them that you'll be the monkey that plays the game according to the respective teachers and won't do too much shit on and off work, there won't be a problem for you.

Also, don't try to show off your Japanese too much, they don't like their pupils to be able to speak Japanese to the English monkey game masters.
>>
>>929710
*native English speaker (somehow got deleted)
>>
>>929710
Well, I don't really plan on causing any trouble. Do they get a lot of miscreants coming in through JET?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.