[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A few of my friends have become obsessed with travel, but I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 1416763748712.png (424 KB, 600x629) Image search: [Google]
1416763748712.png
424 KB, 600x629
A few of my friends have become obsessed with travel, but I can't seem to find the appeal of any of the things they talk about.
>taking photos of shit
>eating "real" food
>booze
>buying crap
>sex
That's it? Is that really all there is to travel?
>>
no but that list doesn't sound bad either. are you some sort of loser or something thats content living in your town your entire life?
>>
I did none of that while travelling.

>not being at home
>making friends easily because your accent is different
>being vaguely directionless and apathetic wins undeserved respect.
>>
>>924198
God no, I want to move away from my home town, but none of that shit appeals to me.
I'm in a relationship that's not lacking in sex, I don't drink, I don't care about food and I really don't care about taking photos or even looking at shit half of the time.
That's all it ever really seems to boil down to, looking at shit.
>>
>>924199
>making friends easily because your accent is different
Yeah, but most people don't care much for New York accents.
>>
>>924196
Traveling is about new experiences.
>>
>>924208
Such as?
>>
Why are you people trying to justify travel to him?

The only reasonable reply should be "fuck off back to /a/", some people are just not meant to leave their mothers basement.
>>
>>924212
why you gotta be like that, anon? perfectly adjusted people are able to not like travel too
>>
>>924213
That's not true at all. Perfectly adjusted people find a form of travel that they enjoy and still travel. It doesn't have to be Real Travelerâ„¢ type of travel, some people prefer resorts or cruises or nice boutique hotels. They travel to be pampered in spas or for gourmet food they don't get in their home town. There is no perfectly adjusted person in the world who doesn't enjoy traveling.
>>
>>924212
I do like wandering on foot. One time I worked as a security guard and had to patrol around a half-built ice skating rink. I spent at least an hour looking at very large half-made rooms and was honestly having fun.

But show me something natural, or something that was made to be looked-at and I get bored rapidly. Put me in a gigantic, well-lit, plain concrete room with nothing but myself, a couple of birds and a microwave on a cart with an extension chord and I might as well be on the fucking moon.
>>
>>924219
You might want to see shrink. You're somewhere on that spectrum.
>>
>feedingobvioustroll/10
>>
bad bait is bad
>>
File: 400.jpg (92 KB, 950x404) Image search: [Google]
400.jpg
92 KB, 950x404
>>924220
Something about it just cracked me up. I wasn't expecting to see this, but finding just a cart with a microwave made me feel like I had stepped into the twilight zone.
>>
>>924210

There are a few cultures you can experience: http://wiki.cultured.com/cultures/

There are a few different people you can meet: http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

There are a few languages you can learn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_language_names

There are a few sports you can try: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

There are a few jobs you can work: http://www.careerplanner.com/ListOfCareers.cfm

There are a few interesting animals to study: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_animals

But you could also enjoy doing nothing once in a while.

Travel just gives you the occasion and time to experience whatever your hearts desires, to do what the fuck you want!

I don't take pictures.
I don't give a rat's ass about museums, churches and castles.
I don't drink alcohol.
I don't party.
I don't care much about girls.
I don't buy useless stuff.
And yet, I just get out there, I open myself to the world, and the world answers back with adventures and experiences and creativity and boatloads of goodness.

I understand why some people are not into traveling though. Most want comfort and security, are scared, or simply enjoy their life at home with friends and family.

(( The top post should have this link in it: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+travel%3F ))
>>
>>924216

This is why /trv/ is my favorite board, lol.
>>
>>924196
waht exactly do you want out of your travels? many people find many different rewards out of travel, I'm sure you will find yours.
>>
>>924219

I feel you on this as abandoned and disused spaces are my thing. But now imagine doing that in some unfamiliar place, the intrigue is even greater.
>>
>>924202
there's tons of stuff that can happen if you are openminded, don't be a sperg

you could face challenging physical obstacles

you could get lost and be forced to talk to people whom you'd normally never interact with

you might meet other people on vacation from different countries with interesting things to tell you about their home that you'd never known before.
this guy's list is spergish and is as collector and generic as you can get
>>924232

You will meet new people, some of whm will be fun, who you would never get a chance to interact with. They will FORCE you to do new things.

It's true the whole world is kind of samey when it comes down to it, but that's just the thing: if you don't enjoy the world, you're depressed. If you DO enjoy the world, travel is a fresh slice of it and you WILL enjoy it.

You just sound depressed. Note, depression isn't sadness, it is the absence of pleasure in things you once enjoyed.
>>
>>924196
I know what you're saying. I think wanting to travel is some basic human need to see new things, explore like. Mostly it just comes down to those ready made tourist behaviors. There is a tourist industry that has thought out our options long before we ever get there, and it's really hard to break that pattern in any meaningful way. I know a lot of you think you're not a tourist but a traveler, or something special, but it's all the same really.

Also, it depends a lot where are you coming from. In my normal life I wade knee deep in snow, so just laying by the pool in some tropical paradise is all win to me. If you live in Florida or somesuch, traveling to Thailand may seem pointless. So find something different.
>>
>>924199
>being vaguely directionless and apathetic wins undeserved respect.

If you surround yourself with low class, hopeless losers, then yeah. I wouldn't touch someone like you with a stick.

Have fun not appreciating life and being grateful for every opportunity to live it with purpose and joy. I'll be over here watching my bank account grow because of things like investment and education while you huddle in the dirt like all the crusties infesting the streets.
>>
>>924216
I burned myself out from it over the last two years after leaving the marines. Crossed each continent on a bike, moto, car or just my feet, and sweet Jesus is it good to be back in the USA. It'll be a long time until I enjoy traveling farther than 30 miles just for the sake of it.
>>
>>924376
>marines
>well adjusted
haha, I'm kidding, please don't shoot...

You probably just traveled too much in a short period of time, that's different than not enjoying travel at all. Eventually after a while you'll want to get out there again, you'll see.
>>
My favourite thing about travelling is meeting new people (fellow travellers and locals alike) and just soaking up the ambiance of a foreign culture. I have fonder memories of sitting outside bars or cafes chatting to new friends than I do of seeing sights or whatever.
>>
>>924375
Nirvana - Smells like Troll Spirit
>>
File: 1384773921924.jpg (157 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1384773921924.jpg
157 KB, 600x600
>taking photos of shit, eating "real" food, booze, buying crap, sex

I don't like all of those things.
>you will regret when you get old and you don't have pictures of your trip

I did both, trip with picures and without and I regret all time I spended editing pictures and uplouding them to nobody.

>but you talk to new people!
Just for one day or two, and then they will forget you.

Sometimes I ask myself "Why traveling?" "Do I really need to do this?". But still do.
I am afraid that I can't do it when I get older and sometimes is good to have some memories. But the best reason is: Anyway, I have nothing better to do.
>>
>>924196

>alcohol
>sex
>eating

You just summed up three very important things of the life of a male Homo Sapiens, regardless if he's a traveler or not.
>>
>>924371

My list is very generic because I wanted to show OP that you'd have to really be uninspired and lazy not to find stuff to do. Anyway, I personally prefer to let things happen rather than actively do them.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.