[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Travelling and Career-path
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1426454476583.jpg (176 KB, 1638x1232) Image search: [Google]
1426454476583.jpg
176 KB, 1638x1232
American here.

Just graduating now with a decent degree from a decent school, could easily get a comfy office job making ~60k or so.

Problem is, I don't want to get sucked into that shit just yet. I've spent around 3 months backpacking Europe solo, and it was the greatest time of my life.

I'd like to save up some money and just go travel a bit, maybe for a year or more, but I have 2 worries.

1.) Will this affect my ability to get a job after I get my fill? I definitely feel that a year of global adventure would cause me to forget a decent percentage of what I learned in my degree. I don't want to squander this degree.

2.) If I decide to say fuck it and go for it, how do I get into Europe to travel for a long duration? (I really want to do the balkans and spend some time just relaxing somewhere like Estonia, maybe working odd-jobs here and there)

side note: trv is the best board on the chan
>>
As popular as the nomad route is among young traveling types, I'm currently working towards early retirement in a career path with similar starting pay. Learning to live really frugally while you're in the US, taking advantage of your tax-advantaged investment options, and saving as much as you can would let you retire by your mid 30s in a career that paid like that.
>>
>>1110605
thanks for the input. I definitely see the appeal in that choice and would definitely be able to save the majority of my income(I despise materialism) and retire quite early. The issue is that I feel I would enjoy traveling in my 20's far more than I would in my 40's, and presumably (hopefully) committed to a family. I'd like to be that dude that has insane stories from his youth about travelling to strange places and getting into weird situations. (I already have quite a few from my short 3 months)
>>
>>1110604
It will definitely affect your job prospects negatively unless you find someway to make it seem like an educational or progressive trip. You can discuss how you taught English or some science abroad. You can also always BS that you taught whatever your major was abroad and it cannot be checked really... But be smart about it.

My brother took about a year off after college to figure himself out, but he then got a job. Although, to be fair his prior boss from an internship recommended him after he had an unsuccessful job hunt for a while. He's a civil engineer from a pretty good university, so not like he's studying communications at bumfuck college. So take away from that, make sure you have some connections before you disappear.
>>
>>1110604
>she will never walk barefooted on your nut sack and crush it
>>
>>1110604
why dont you just work in your field overseas

you could live a country that has decent labour laws and gives annual leave

tfw 4 weeks holiday every year
>>
You worry too much about security, yet you don't even have a job. Probably scared of travelling, because you give something up. Well you haven't really started yet, so what are you really giving up? Nothing to lose, only things to gain.

You should travel while you still can, people who wait for the right time are going to be too old to enjoy it.
>>
>>1110609
Yeah I'm 30 and traveling long term now, when I'm mid-30's I don't think it would be worth it for me. So much of the fun is hanging out with other travelers and fucking local girls. It'd get harder as you get older in most places (but totally still possible).
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.