[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
cool cities in washington?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: seattle.jpg (58 KB, 800x300) Image search: [Google]
seattle.jpg
58 KB, 800x300
im hoping to move to washington (state) at the end of this year. im looking particularly for urban areas, dont have to be huge though. id consider more of a smaller town if it was really unique and cute and artsy and naturey. so, basically im looking for just unique, interesting, creative cities/towns, with beautiful nature around. i definitely DEFINITELY dont want anything suburbian and cookie cutter. yuck. i want a place with a great personality that will match mine. i really want seattle, but of course im broke af and cant afford it. here are some other places i want to research, anyone know about them?
port angeles (pretty interested in this one, whats the vibe here?)
bellingham
is tacoma really as crappy as its cracked up to be?
wenatchee
olympia- whats going on with this place? cool?
everett- looks neat to me
bellevue- is this place suburby? i feel like i heard that its suburby..
auburn- is this any kind of substantial place or is it just a suburb?
anacortes- looks smallish but interesting
spokane- also looks cool, whats it like there?
federal way- ???
pullman
kennewick
lakewood
bremerton
everett
so, yeah, if any of you guys know abotu the places i listed, or about any cool places that i dont know about yet id be more than happy to hear any insight
>>
>>1047077
Bellingham and Olympia are all right.
They're cheaper than Seattle and have some character and are big enough to have all the conveniences of a city.

Bellevue is definitely a suburb but it is cool IMO.

I'd stay away from any town on the Olympic Peninsula (e.g. Port Angeles) because that region is pretty economically depressed. The access to nature is nice out there though.

Spokane is in the middle of nowhere and has a lot of methheads.

Tacoma is as bad as you've heard. Everett also sucks.

Overall Seattle and its suburbs are the best parts of Washington and you should try to be there if you can.
>>
>>1047077
Stay the fuck out of Federal Way it is way too expensive to live there for how shitty it is
>>
>>1047077

Nut up and live in Tacoma or the poorer parts of Kent and commute to Seattle like the rest of us.
>>
>>1047091
Is it true that there are juggalos in Tacoma?
>>
>>1047103

[spoilers]yes [/spoilers] no but there are a lot of niggas if that bothers you. Me I was more worried about the Asians and Russians in out flat's complex.
>>
>>1047084
>cheaper than Seattle and have some character and are big enough to have all the conveniences of a city
good to know thanks, why is tacoma so bad tho? and everett?
>>
>>1047449
Tacoma's not that bad. Most of my life has been spent in the Tacoma area. Some areas are pretty bad, but most of it just mediocre. A few areas are pretty nice, and some of those are actually kind of cheap to live in. I'd much rather live in Tacoma than most of Western Washington; the entire stretch between Puyallup and Seattle (Federal Way, Kent, Auburn, Tukwilla, etc.) is just godawful. If I wanted to live somewhere besides Tacoma, it would probably be either Bellingham or Olympia. Both are cool and have a nice small city vibe to them.

Spokane is cool, but isolated. Seattle is great, but getting very expensive to live in. Some other places are also nice, but more rural. And avoiding suburbs is going to hard, OP. Most of the I5 corridor is basically suburbs npw.

tl/dr: Tacoma is actually kind of decent, and so are Bellingham and Olympia. Those three cities are probably going to be your best bet.
>>
Where are you coming from? They say alot of areas are trash like Tacoma and bremerton but I'm from Greater Boston and currently living in silverdale and I have yet to see a city or town I'd consider ghetto or anything like the hood, alot of Filipinos though
>>
>>1047788
im from kansas city, honestly i dont mind ghetto really. i just want a place with some character and creativity.
>>
Is Pullman as shitty and boring as the google map of the town makes it look? I have a job opportunity there but the idea of a 1 stoplight town makes me kinda sick.
>>
>>1047077
Eastern and Western WA are very different culturally, politically, and climate wise. I'd start there to narrow it down.
>>
Pullman sucks dick don't go there. Theres nothing there but a college.

Kent or Renton is good, not too expensive but the area is getting a little more.... black if you know what I mean. Haha joking but really Olympia is pretty if you are into nature.

Bellevue is expensive, it is one of the nicer areas around here.

If you are broke as fuck it doesn't seem like you have tons of options. Tacoma is shit but they have cheap places to stay.

Bellingham is tight but I am not sure how expensive it is there
>>
Just go to Portland and if you want just take a train to Seattle every weekend if you like Seattle a lot. Portland is cheaper, has much better public transit, and definitely has the culture your looking for. It's getting worse though due to all the NIMBY California transplants who are trying to suburbanize the city and all the latrinos who followed them here.
>>
>>1047899
portland is where i originally wanted to go, and still want but, there is a complication with that. so i may have to go to washington. i dont know yet, just trying to figure out some options : )
>>
>>1047992
You could always live in Vancouver, WA, which is literally across a bridge from Portland.
>>
>>1047992
Why can't you live in Portland?
>>
>>1048063
>>1048061
ok its a long story but i am trying to shorten it up a little. i met the love of my life in arizona beginning of last year. i had to move to kansas city this year for some reasons. hes probably going to have to move to washington next year, probably port angeles, so i want to be somewhere within an hour of there hopefully.. well, nothing is for certain right now, im just trying to get an idea of what some places are like so i can have them as considerations : )
>>
>>1048072
oh and speaking of that, i think i forgot to ask, whats port angeles like?? haha i feel like a dumbshit at the moment
>>
I live in South Korea currently but I was born and raised in Lacey/Olympia and lived in Bellingham a few years.

Lacey/Olympia/Tumwater all have the same small town vibe. I lived in a neighborhood out of the county line so there was only happy old people for neighbors that would always wave with a smile. It was a good feeling.

I also went to Evergreen State College so there's a lot of liberals and feminists(not feminazis) lurking about. Most people smoked weed. Most people were kind.

Brewery City Pizza and Van's Burgers are two places I'd recommend if you're in Lacey. Get the Spartacus pizza at BCP or Big Pete double at Vans.

I was on football, basketball and track and field teams through high school and university so I traveled all around.

Tacoma isn't good but it's the closest Krispy Kremes from Olympia if you're a fan. Reputation for gang violence and dangerous neighborhoods.

Mount Tahoma had only black people.

Chehalis has a good shopping spot and Nike outlet store.

Aberdeen/Yelm/Elma have the reputation of being hillbilly white trash towns.

Ocean Shores is nice.

I would say Seattle or Portland are your best bet for a "cool" place to live.

Didn't mean to write a blog.
>>
>>1048088
if you think there's a difference between feminists and feminazis you are the definition of a kekold, you probably walk in slut walks and post an "I need feminism because..." sign. I bet you aren't even getting laid in SK, which is like one of the easiest places to bang locals, because they don't respect you as an alpha and you probably think it's wrong to pressure a girl into sex
>>
>>1048090
You're really getting off topic for /trv/, sempai.
Maybe you'd be happier in /b/.
>>
>>1048090
i hate how this has to be explained to people..
feminist: sensible person who believes women should be treated as equals
feminazi: belligerent fool thinking women are goddesses and men are just evil or some shit. tons of complaining, bitching, and whining shit is an understatement.
not every feminist is a feminazi jackass its common sense
>>
>>1048088
its cool i enjoyed reading your blog, thank you : )
>>
Currently live in Bellingham, it's a nice mid-size college town but gets lots of traffic from Canadians. Rent is like 400-600 a month depending on how many people you're living with and it seems like property taxes are going up, idk about housing prices.

Anything on the east side of seattle is getting really pricey because of all the money in Bellevue and tech industry campuses over there.

South King county is getting full, I've always thought fed way was a shithole but I haven't been through there in a while it might have enough middle class commuters to be decent now.
Tacoma is a smelly ghetto.
I lived near Everett in a town called Snohomish, pretty much all of the towns on I5 are hick methtraps. I would stay out of snohomish county all together.
North Bend is pretty nice, it has the diner from twin peaks and beautiful scenery, down side is that it rains twice as much as it does in Seattle there.
>>
>>1048157
re-read the OP and I think bellingham is your best bet. It's a good mix of outdoors, hippies, businesses and artsy bullshit.

I think Washington is a pretty mild place in general, I like to think of it as the opposite of Florida.
>>
>>1047884
Pullman is a college town. If you are young it might be ok. WSU has in the past ranked as one of the top party schools in the country. Mostly because it is a tiny college town, and the nearest city is Spokane, a 90 minute drive away. PLUS there is another college town about 10 miles away, across the border into Idaho.

So yeah. two college towns, not much around...lots of drinking and partying.

Fun Fact: Back when i was young before federal mandates forced all states to have a drinking age of 21, Washington had a drinking age of 21 and Idaho had a drinking age of 19. The 14 mile stretch of highway between the two towns of Pullman and Moscow was the deadliest stretch of highway in the country. Even to this day, it sees over 200 accidents a year.
>>
>>1048158
>opposite of Florida
hahhaaha good to know! i have lived in florida as well and i was absolutely miserable the whole time.
>>
>>1048090
You must be at least 18 years old to post on this website.
>>
>>1048157
Hey I'm in Bellingham, too!
>>
Lakewood is ok, but its miles better than the ghetto I came from called CA
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.