[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of you like to take a novel with you on your travels?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 11
File: images (7).jpg (7 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
7 KB, 275x183
Do any of you like to take a novel with you on your travels? Say, when you're waiting at a train station or at the beach, just having a nice read always brings joy to me on my trips-- even if it's just to kill some time :)
>>
>always pack a book or to two to kill time if needed
>never find the moment to open it
>2kg wasted
>>
Yeah and sometimes pick them specially for the places I am going to be travelling, like Rayuela when I went to Paris or Dubliners when I went to Ireland. I find that I always have time for reading when I'm travelling because all of the trains/buses/flights or the hours spent just chilling
>>
>>883785
Same here, took 3 books with me on my last trip (2 of them were very light), ended up reading about 15 pages.
>>
>>883785
>>883853
I know these feels. Got pretty badly hurt on a bicycle tour once, laid up for a week. Still barely read...

> ...barely did anything that week, though.
>>
>>883862
Where did you go bike touring and what sort of accident did you have?
>>
File: arizona.jpg (585 KB, 1304x1209) Image search: [Google]
arizona.jpg
585 KB, 1304x1209
>>883892 Arizona and a stupid one. Alcohol and a very sandy road conspired against me. pic related, praise Allah for helmets
>>
>>883909
is that blood on that thing?
>>
I do, usually on planes, I read the whole time. I've also found time at night or when I'm in transit or whatever to read. But sometimes, they can be a waste of space. So I usually plan now to only bring small books (well, should be singular: book).
>>
>books
Fuck that shit.

I bring my GAME BOY, as well as Tetris and a Pokemon game.
>>
2KG for two books? Have you never heard of paperbacks?

Yeah, I take a book even on my 30-minute commute: Travel time is best reading time
>>
Do people not know what a kindle is on /trv/?

>light as fuck
>long battery life/quick charge
>all the books you could want
>>
>>883990
personally I'm bad at reading on screens, and I feel like I strain my eyes a lot
>>
>>883990
Have you actually tried reading on a kindle? I was a bit apprehensive as well, but the screens are actually really good to read from
>>
>>883963
A 1000-page book is not likely to be light, whatever the cover.
>>883990
A kindle would indeed be a good investment, provided I actually use it.
>>883996
e-Ink screens cause absolutely no strain though. It's not your typical LCD screen.
>>
>>884000
I havent actually.
Are they sold in physical stores? I'm currently in Japan (live in EU).
>>
>>884003
As far as I can see, they are at about 50% cheaper here in Japan than in EU, but is it possible to get one in a physical store or something similar?
>>
>>883990
I was thinking of getting the first generation kindle, since it's only 50€. Or should I invest the extra money in the paperwhite? The only advantage I see is that it would allow me to read in the dark
>>
>>883785
>>883853
>>883862
>have clearly not spent 13 hours on the bus....regularly

biggest god send books and headphones
>>
>>883952
and when there is no battery.
>>
>>884013
I recharge it?
Just like your phone.
>>
>>884016
bus does not equal plug ins....sorry man. there are still places and situations, if you can believe where there are no plugs. and you never forget your charger?
>>
>>884005
Not sure about Kindles, but i got my ereader in a store. Would recommend you check out an e-ink display though. they are great
>>
>>884007
IMO it's not worth it since you can always just turn a light on instead. I'd look into the built-in dictionaries because those are fucking godsend, specially if you are learning a new language, and I don't know if thr first version has those
>>
>>884019
I have 2 backpacks when I go on vacations. One for storing all my shit (60+15L) and one I use daily.
For my daily one I have all my necessary chargers and stuff Id want to use during the day.
>>
I bring my kindle everywhere. Actually I'm on my third one now, the first one was stolen by a damn bird while sailing. (Well okay, he snatched at it and the safety strap for the waterproof case broke and it fell in the water, but anyway).

Anyway, I swear by the e-ink ereaders. They hold a shitload of books, the displays on the good quality ones (kindles and so on) do not give ANY eye strain. Battery lasts forever and a half, they can be charged up via USB chargers just like all your other stuff so you don't need a separate charger and cable... And hey, now with the paperwhite you can read comfortably in the dark on a train or plane or whatever without disturbing anyone, and it doesn't suck that much battery either. I didn't use to think the backlight would be a big deal until I got one.

So yeah, I still love physical books, but the difference is my kindle is always with me and since I got my first I have read so much more than I managed to before simply from the convenience.

Okay, rant over.
>>
>>884037
You've convinced me to at least try one.
I kind of forgot to bring a book on my trip, so I might as well pick one of these up now that I'm here, and they (Japan) dont really offer physical english books.
>>
>>884044
how much are they in Japan? I was thinking of getting one before the trip, but if they are cheaper there, I might just buy it later. Or are you going to order one through amazon?
>>
>>884037
>>884044
For those who can read moonrunes, how's the support for Japanese by the way? I found a website (aozorabunko) some time ago with a metric shittton of digitized books in Japanese, classics and more recent ones, generally in simple txt format. Think those would work on a Kindle/other?
>>
>>884046
I dont know yet. Might find out tomorrow - if I do, I'll report back!
>>884046
I dont think there's a lot of japanese support for e-readers because of major japanese publishers pushing them away.

If I cant get my hands on a e-ink reader with light in Japan, should I skip the purchase then? And is resolution important on such a device? I saw Kindle Fire came in HD
>>
>>883940 yes
>>
>>884011

I'm >>883853 and my longest bus ride was 15 hours. The thing is, I get light motion sickness, it's not a big deal like for some people who vomit, but I can't read much when moving. It's easier with screens, I read things on my phone when taking the bus to work but some days (like today actually) I feel very sick after a while.

And then when I'm in hostels I just fuck around on my laptop. Thus leaving no time for books really. Plus I've always had a hard time concentrating when reading. Computers have fried my brain.
>>
>>884053
please do!
>>
File: read a book.jpg (28 KB, 465x324) Image search: [Google]
read a book.jpg
28 KB, 465x324
I generally tote along a light novel and a historical book related to the place I am going.

Usually wind up not reading much while traveling, but I have it with me in case the monsoon sets in or something.
>>
>always brought at least one book when travelling and usually more like 3 or 4
>bought a kindle 2 years ago and it has been a revelation
>rarely buy paperbacks now
>>
If the trip will involve a fair bit of time reading: ereader
For casual reading: ebooks on the smartphone
The only physical books I bring are reference guides where I don't want to worry about batteries, and even then I just put them on my phone more often.
>>
I got a kindle paperwhite in one of Amazon's lightning deals for 15 dollars. Get one. Beautiful screen, backlight, light as a 45 page paperback, battery on aeroplane mode lasts about 2-3 weeks. I'm reading War and Peace at the moment, something I would not have done with a physical book simply because of comfort
>>
>>884037
This. Absolute godsend when you need to take a 1 hour bus followed by a 5 hour train followed by 3 hours at the airport followed by a 9 hour flight. Or just for traveling in general. I do like books better than e-readers but the ability to have so many books on such a small/light device is wonderful.
>>
To those that do enjoy reading in their downtime whilst travelling: what kind of stuff do you like to read? History? Science fiction? Novels? Poetry?

I guess I am kind of interested in this because reading is a kind of mental travelling, so it makes me wonder: where do you go when you are already away from home?
>>
>>884193
Just came back with a Kindle Paperwhite in my hand.
They cost 10238¥ in Bic Camera (4GB, WIFI).
>>
>>884262
Nice buy
>>
>>884281
Yeah, and I already love it.
It doesnt strain my eyes at all, and it's a perfect size for travelling.
>>
>>883990
Can someone tell me about getting books for free on the Kindle? Deciding between the kobo, nook, and Kindle and it comes down to whichever one would be the easiest to get free books on.

I know that you can get classics and stuff pretty easily... But how about random or obscure books?
>>
>>883781

i always read like 3 books whenever i take an extended trip (2 weeks or more). There's a lot of downtime when traveling whether it's at an airport/plane, trainstation/train, or just waiting to see shit.
>>
>>884353
Well, I'm pretty sure you can just pirate books and transfer them, no?
>>
>>884050
Well, according to some quick internet searches it seems good - at least for ones sold in Japan, no idea if you can mix and match.
>>
>>884353
Obscure books can be a bitch to find in a good format, but using calibre on the PC you can convert almost anything into something readable by your kindle, and sync it right up there.
You can find many books on the major torrent sites, or just by googling
>book name (epub|mobi|kindle)
and slogging through the results a bit. PDFs are unfortunately a very common format for pirated books still, and it absolutely sucks for ereader use... but it works in a pinch - just look for better formats first.
>>
>>884376
Sweet... Thanks. That settles it, then. I'm so tempted to get the Kindle here in Australia but if I wait 1 more week, it'll be cheaper to buy in the states.

Pretty excited, to be honest. Being able to read books in the dark is a game-changer!
>>
I have a Kindle that I usually carry with me, but I don't feel like reading when I'm travelling
>>
File: 1407633611907.png (315 KB, 500x563) Image search: [Google]
1407633611907.png
315 KB, 500x563
>>
>>884916 dude what?

polite sage
>>
>>884037
If I had 2 dicks, I would sell one of them for a kindle.

I, literally, have own 4-5 e-readers. Feels good bro.

The average person will spend something like 653 hours waiting for train. How about sitting on a train/bus 40 minutes every day going to work?

I read somewhere that if you commute 1 hour a day, you spend about 2-3 years of your life commuting.

Anyways, I bring my kindle every where I go.
>>
>>884353
>Can someone tell me about getting books for free on the Kindle?

You get the kobo because you can download books for free in .epub, while kindle doesn't support .epub because they're jews.
>>
>>884927
So I did the calculation.

For simplicity sake, we assume you spend 1 hour a day commuting on a bus. During your life time, you will spend 487 days on the bus.

Imagine how many books you can read.
>>
File: 1315625368311.png (6 KB, 445x431) Image search: [Google]
1315625368311.png
6 KB, 445x431
>>884930
>You get the kobo

Are you really this stupid, or are you trolling?

>kindle doesn't support .epub because they're jews.

Yep, confirmed for stupid.

Kobo is a mediocre product (made in Canada with maple syrup! hurr!) that likely won't be around for long. The Kindle is superior and you can read free epub books on the Kindle all day, every day. Calibre -- a free product that's useful with all e-readers -- converts files back and forth pretty much between all common e-publishing formats.
>>
>>884930
Most of the books I download for my kindle are epubs, and they are converted without problems to mobiformat in calibre - automaticallly - when I tell it to upload the books to my kindle.

So no, that's not a valid reason not to get a kindle, considering it is a better product than the kobo quality-wise.
>>
>>884011
>Being able to read on a bus without hurling

Check your privilege bro.
>>
>>884007
I don't wanna go all /g/ on you, but get a Kobo or a Sony if you care at all about being able to use it how you want. Kindle and Nook will lock you into their ecosystem.
>>
I just prefer physical books. I do bring books when I travel. I really enjoyed reading a Moveable Feast while getting slowly sloshed at a cafe on a hot Barcelona afternoon.
>>
>>885046
I see some others before me have already gone full /g/. However if this was /g/ they would be called shills because Kobo is in no way an inferior product the way this >>884939 kid claims.
Kindles are the iPhones of the ereader world. Locked down junk that don't allow their users any freedom. It's your own choice of course, but personally I would never recommend anyone a Kindle.
>>
>>883781
I just load my ipod with audiobooks and podcasts. Has the added benefit of being able to do some people watching as you listen.
>>
>>885051
What do you mean no freedom? I've had a kindle for six years or something and haven't bought a single thing from amazon since. I get all my books through other venues.
>>
>>884933
>>884927

I have always enjoyed sitting around, thinking about stuff, and looking out the windows on journeys, even if it's just a bus that I take a few times a week. The actual travelling is usually the best part of travelling for me..
>>
>>886685 I can agree with the reservation that sitting around idly, covering long distances, can get boring.
>>
>>886685
I too enjoy the act of travel itself more than the destination. Maybe it's the loner in me knowing that when I do actually reach where ever I'm going I'm going to be forced to do shit with people I don't know. I do love just staring out looking at the scenery thinking about life and shit.
>>
>>883781
I load up a lot of podcasts. I usually finish a book or two when backpacking since I take buses and trains everywhere. A lot of downtime.

The cool thing about the books I read is that they're books I've picked up from hostel hopping. Most times I'm able to exchange the book(s) I have for books left at a hostel! It's pretty rewarding when looking at it in retrospect.

A book takes a journey with you and could possibly be picked up to go on another journey somewhere else.
>>
File: 1407799694643s.jpg (7 KB, 249x243) Image search: [Google]
1407799694643s.jpg
7 KB, 249x243
>>886698
Very insightful, anon. I completely agree with you :)
>>
>>886752
>:)
Okay, getting a bit too lovey-dovey in here.
>>
>>886799
You give me tingly feelings all inside of me.
>>
File: 1407711100682s.jpg (3 KB, 125x115) Image search: [Google]
1407711100682s.jpg
3 KB, 125x115
>>886807
>>
>>884001
>A kindle would indeed be a good investment, provided I actually use it.
I love my kindle on trips. I always have 4-5 books I'm in the midst of reading, and I love loading up on some old literature from the classics of the city I'm going to..some of the public domain, and maybe a guidebook, or a pdf or two of a walking tour, or just a novel set there.

I read on planes, don't always on trains, but I love to do a little picnic and read a chapter, or maybe some bedtime reading to kill some of the aches and pains to fall asleep. The HDX fire kindles now don't light up your room, white text/black background, and pretty soothing to use as a bedtime reader.
>>
>>884258
>To those that do enjoy reading in their downtime whilst travelling: what kind of stuff do you like to read? History? Science fiction? Novels? Poetry?
All of the above.

The beauty of a kindle (or e-reader) is that you can toss it all in there. You can download books from a decent library for free (hopefully), sometimes getting older things that aren't for sale online elsewhere...older things. But the nice thing about kindle is that it is very often cheaper prices than hardbound or paperbacks, even used books. About half of my purchases are $3.99 or less, vs $10-12 cover prices, so I tend to buy more questionable stuff.

I travel as the planner. I probably added 12 books on Nova Scotia for a trip I took last week, everything from national parks, to hiking trails, to history of the acadiens, music of Cape Breton scots, to recipes, to newspaper articles on restaurants, to military history, war history, maritime history, and a novel on pirates. A book on the gem hunting/geology of the dinosaur stuff near Fundy. I threw in Evangeline from Longfellow, preservation of the linguistics of 17th century french in acadiens (was fascinating) and a novel written about a Titanic survivor. Since it was a Kindle Fire, I watched 4 Prime videos about the shipwrecking hunts and the crash of Swiss Air's recovery efforts. I never got around to watching my movie on Alexander Graham Bell or rewatching Anne of Green Gables, but it was there!
>>
>>886698
>Most times I'm able to exchange the book(s) I have for books left at a hostel!
I have enjoyed leaving novels for others to enjoy versus lugging them home, but kindle still beats that.
>>
File: 1396636333710.png (235 KB, 680x497) Image search: [Google]
1396636333710.png
235 KB, 680x497
>>886832
come 2 me
>>
File: 1407815665967s.jpg (2 KB, 125x124) Image search: [Google]
1407815665967s.jpg
2 KB, 125x124
>>886871
on my way
>>
>>884258
Because I'm a huge Nerd, Ive been enjoying Warcraft titles lately.
(Fantasy for those who might not know the Warcraft franchise)
>>
BUMP BLAZE IT 420 FAGGTOS
>>
>>883781
I've always got something to read, if only for the flights. I read more on some trips than others.
>>
Whenever available I have a Bill Bryson, or a Stephen King book with me.
Both make the time fly.
>>
>>884258
Varies a lot for me, but it's mostly novels. A mixture of artsy-fartsy high literature and trash (pulp paperback spy novels/thrillers from the 50s and 60s, many others). Not a lot of so-called genre fiction (sci-fi, fantasy, etc.), but once in a while. I also read a lot of nonfiction, usually histories, not necessarily related to the place I'm going. On my last series of 12hr+ flights I read a Haruki Murakami novel and a book by an anthropology professor about Chungking Mansions; I did actually pass through Tokyo on that trip, but not HK, and I didn't read the Murakami just because I was going to Japan--I'd bought it a few weeks before the trip was even planned. On the trip before that I read four absurd, very slender paperbacks I got for a quarter each--spy novels in the long, ghostwritten-by-large-committees Nick Carter/"Killmaster" series. Imagine an American James Bond, but even more violent, racist, sexist, and crazy--one of them featured a fistfight with a yeti.
>>
>>888395
Different anon here, but I feel like we'd be good friends. I really like your taste in books.
>>
a travel guide, yes I can see that being of value.
another book if you are traveling via plane, fine too. But goddamn is that just so edgy to read a book while your entire vacation time gets pisses away with your nose in a book instead of interacting with your new surroundings. Stay home. I bet you are the type who posts facebook location updates... but never even really visited the area.
>>
>>883781

4 books last time, finished them all. 6 month journey tho.
>>
File: 1403687064724.jpg (24 KB, 108x268) Image search: [Google]
1403687064724.jpg
24 KB, 108x268
>>889168
this is probably the most retarded misuse of the word edgy I have ever seen

congratulations
>>
>>883781
always. sometimes you got no wifi or power or anything, a trusty books always working. `Though I want to buy an e-reader
>>
>>889168
OP here: To answer your question, no, I don't post updates. I actually don't even have a smartphone. I seldom post videos on Jewbook.
>>
>>889168
There is a special feeling to reading in different places, it's like how reading at the park or the beach is completely different from reading at home. It give you a chance to sit back and enjoy the atmosphere of the place in a way.

Personally I actually don't do it much, since I usually have shitloads of work-related things to catch up on during any free time, but I can definitely relate to it.

I also think reading a novel in its original setting gives it a whole different vibe, for instance I had the chance to read ?? at Takayama last year, and suddenly I felt so fucking immersed in the book, it was crazy.
>>
>>883785
I always pick up a cheap book at a secondhand bookstore at my destination. Even if I don't wind up reading it, and leave it at the airport before going back, it's no skin off my back.
>>
>>884050
I usually read AozoraBunko books on their Android application, it's pretty cool. Since you can download the book you can read it in anyway you want, Kindle as well is no problem.
Also had some experience reading manga on Kindle, I am not sure if it is a very good idea due to massive amounts of ink, the pictures always looked a little weird
>>
I want to use my time in India to help with writing my book rather than reading one. Still torn on whether I should just bring paper or a notebook computer, because i'll be roughing it up sleeping outside quite a lot
>>
>>889915
raw or translated? wanted to go to Takayama too, but not sure if I'll have enough time to explore and read
>>
>>891192
>going to India to write a book
and then meet someone who lived on the ocean with a tiger. right.
>>
File: 1409063364528.png (131 KB, 390x390) Image search: [Google]
1409063364528.png
131 KB, 390x390
>>
If I'm backpacking, I usually find that I can't spare the space, so I tend to just read my maps and guidebooks to plan out the upcoming section
>>
Anyone else like reading books in the places theyre set?

I read Empire of the Sun all over Shanghai, even read the section about the march down the bund while sitting on the bund

I also went to the site of the camp, and his old house. Theyre tricky to find, you need a decent knowledge of the city.

Heading to Burma next week, kicking myself for not bringing along Burmese Days to reread there
>>
> spend about $5k on a cruise to Alaska
>friend of family joins us
>seeing beautiful landscapes, whales, penguins, eagles, Merica bringing tears to my eyes how beautiful it is
>I look over at this friend of my family
>every single day reading a book, never looking up
> she should have just stayed home.
>what a colossal waste of money
>>
>>892293
>Paying $5K for a cruise
You should've stayed at home as well.
>>
>>891211
I read it raw, the first book is fairly short, you can read it a little before your visit.
>>
>>892260
This, so much this
>>
>>892333
What's wrong with that?
inb4 "I have no money, and everyone must travel as I do"
>>
>>892293
To be honest, a lot of people use cruises and travel as a way to simply be stress free and comfy. Even when you're taking a couple days off work, when you're at home you have distractions that can prevent a lot of people from doing simple things like reading a book. So I can kind of understand that mentality. Also a lot of people want to just say that they were on a cruise and don't care about the experience while they're there.
>>
>>892260
I plan on reading the Odyssey when I'm in Greece
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.