[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advantages of Your Passport?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 17
File: Ukpassport-cover.jpg (46 KB, 337x473) Image search: [Google]
Ukpassport-cover.jpg
46 KB, 337x473
Whats so good about your passport?

I have an English passport. Rated as the top 3 in the world. Can visit 178 countries. Rights to work and live in EU. Security in this country and other EU states.

2) Automated Passport Control. The EU is the only region in the world that has such free passport control.

Yes countless countries have biometric passports, but only in Europe as a European citizen can you scan your passport and go through free.

America and Canada don't have such systems. You still have to get approved through a Customs agent. BS.
>>
>>872008
It depends on the airport, actually.
Not every european airport has automated control booth.
And they have automated passport control in Japan too, from what I saw.
>>
>>872008
The best thing about my (Swedish) passport is the lack of stamps in it, since I do the vast majority of my travelling within the EU.
>>
>>872015
>No stamps

That's sad as fuck!
>>
>>872015
Nah, actually Swedish passports are no.1 in the world when it comes to being allowed into foreign countries. Being one of the world's most generous countries in terms of foreign aid has some benefits.

But seriously mate, get your arse out of Europe. Travel to Asia, Africa, America... stamps are cool
>>
this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LXxlXSCyLY, and also rated to the top 3
>>
>>872019
Finn here. We share the #1 passport. Nordics have god tier passports. I wonder where UK people can go without a visa that we can't, though. I know we can go to Vietnam visa-free, while other Europeans can't.

Like you, I don't get stamps when traveling inside Europe. Fortunately I have lots of Asian ones.
>>
File: 01+Passport+cover[1].jpg (57 KB, 416x600) Image search: [Google]
01+Passport+cover[1].jpg
57 KB, 416x600
New Zealand passport.

5th equal best in the world.

Full work and indefinite residence rights in our big friendly neighbour, Australia.

Only non-EEA country in the world where it's citizens can spend up to 90 days in _each_ of Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland (as well as Hungary if visiting it as the final Schengen destination) without reference to time spent in other Schengen signatory states, but if travelling to other Schengen countries the 90 days in any 180 day period time limit applies.

>>but only in Europe as a European citizen can you scan your passport and go through free.

We have this in New Zealand and Australia for both our citizens.
>>
File: visa requirements.png (116 KB, 800x351) Image search: [Google]
visa requirements.png
116 KB, 800x351
A cool thing about being French is that you don't need a passport to travel to the rest of the Schengen Area (most of the EU + Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and minus the UK and Ireland), nor do we need a passport to travel to any of our oversea departments or territories - except if the plane stops in another country, obviously.

I didn't have a passport with me when I traveled to Martinique, since the plane only stopped in French Guiana.

We don't have as many countries that we can visit without a visa as the UK, though, but still quite a lot, pic related.
>>
>>872008
This is one of the reasons I will be mad if Scotland leaves the UK. I love the UK passport. It's the golden ticket to most of the world. Life is so easy when traveling. I know I'll be able to keep it if we leave the UK, but my children will be pretty fucked
>>
>>872053
Normally all European countries got more or less the same access throughout the world. Actually, with the UK being US bottom-lickers when it comes to imperialism around the world I would not be surprised if the other countries from Europe would have more advantaged than the UK
>>
1 passport is for plebs.

French+Russian here.
That covers 90% of the world visa-free
>>
>>872021

Dane here. Love the freedom my passport gives me.
>>
>>872031
Iran "limited visa on arrival"? For French? you must be kidding
>>
>>872008
>>872023
I've got both :3
>>
>>872053
>Implying a Scottish pass won't be even better.
>>
>>872103

Good luck trying to get into the UK
>>
>>872123
>implying anyone other than third-world refugees would want to
>>
File: Pass.jpg (926 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
Pass.jpg
926 KB, 1500x1125
You really need at least 2 passports to have a good coverage around the world. Best part is juggling visa/entrance fees between the passports. Often times it's much cheaper for Poles than Canucks even though the Canadian passport has more visa free travel countries.
>>
>>872123
Nah, relations would be normalized pretty quick. The English are so butthurt, when really the Scots have a hundred good reasons for wanting independence, only the last of which has anything to do with spiting England.

Anyway, I suspect there will be a good decade or so of permissive bilateral residency/work status, which will hold over until Scotland can formally (re-)enter the EU.

And I ain't even Scottish.
>>
>>872183
Then it's a good thing that the majority of us have common sense and we won't be leaving the UK.
>>
>>872189
I'm sorry for you guys then
>>
File: 1393170582771.jpg (45 KB, 240x251) Image search: [Google]
1393170582771.jpg
45 KB, 240x251
>>872183
>The English are so butthurt
Most either WANT Scotland to leave, or simply don't care about it.

Scots are pretty much divided 50/50 in wanting to leave or stay in the union anyway.
>mfw Scotland votes to stay in the union
>mfw the resulting shitstorm breaks /int/ and /pol/ for days
>>
>>872171

>you really need to passports

or a american passport
>>
>>872220
American passports are one of the worst solely because you guys have to pay taxes when you work abroad even if you don't go back to the States.
>>
>>872229

As long as you make less than 97K per year the US gov takes zero taxes from you.

So really you only get taxed while living abroad if you are making 98K+
>>
>>872220
An American passport is good tier, but not the best for traveling. You need visas for many countries, and the visa fees are usually much more expensive than for other passport holders.

The best single passport for traveling would be from one of the EU countries. Nordics being the best of them.
>>
>>872201
We're talking about the English state obviously, which does not want Scotland to leave and is constantly fear-mongering about it. What the English *people* want is a bit immaterial here.

I do think the Yes side will lose, but I would still vote Yes if I were Scottish. I don't visit /pol/ or /int/ so I don't know anything about that.
>>
File: - Visa.png (47 KB, 1357x688) Image search: [Google]
- Visa.png
47 KB, 1357x688
- Can go anywhere in South America without needing a passport
- Freedom of movement in EU
- Don't need visa to Russia/USA/Canada

Thank you >muh Heritage
>>
>>872353
You got triple citzenship?
>>
File: Passaporto.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Passaporto.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>872383
Yup
>>
>>872353
I think you need to update that. Ukraine, Moldova do not need a visa for EU citizens. Malta, Cyprus are EU.
>>
>>872412
Thanks
>>
>>872399
Sorry for being ignorant, but how is such thing possible?
>>
yeah
>>
>>872419
Not OP, but there are many people with Italian and Brazilian citizenship. And if I remember correctly Spain has special agreements with Latin American countries to allow for dual citizenship with them. So it's not entirely impossible
>>
>>872422
ancestry, of course.

Bit redundant nowadays with Italy AND Spain, though. Different EU countries have different laws about how easy or not it is to get ancestry passports, and after how many generations. Generally, the Germanic countries make it hard, the Nordic and Slav countries next-to-impossible. Italy is among the easier.
>>
I have an Australian, Austrian and British passport.
Although I guess I don't really need 2 EU passports, one would be fine.
>>
usa and mexico passport here. not the best two in the world but not bad.
>>
I have a friend who's got Canadian and American passports. His father is British so he could get one relatively easily if he wanted. His mother is American, but moved to Canada in her 20s, and lived here ever since. His father (a big-shot international business man) was living in Canada at the time. His father now lives in Poland, and has for 15 years, as some businessman, and has a wife and child there too. I'm not sure if he's naturalized as a Pole or has any interest in it since he'd already be EU, but it's crazy to think. If he did, my friend could maybe get Polish citizenship too? I wonder.

To make it even more interesting, his girlfriend is half-Mexican, with a Mexican (and Canadian) passport. If they married, I guess they would share citizenships, via spousal status?

I'm pretty jelly, I'm stuck with just one passport. My grandfather came from Sweden, we still have relatives there, and my father could get Swedish citizenship/passport if he wanted, but they are explicitly NOT hereditary for mixed-breeds living outside Sweden. Shit sucks.
>>
>>872698
It's a little different. I'm not sure exactly what Polands laws are regarding citizenship but in some countries, if the parent gets a citizenship after the child is born then they have to apply for the child as well, they don't get it automatically. I think in this case, getting the British passport would be easy since his father has had it before your friend was born but for Poland he probably wouldn't get any preferential treatment.

As for your friends, if he married her he wouldn't get her citizenship automatically. He'd be able to apply for a long term visa to live and work there if they decided to live there. He'd then have to wait however many years to get the citizenship.

As an interesting tidbit that's related to passports, apparently if someone has an identical twin and gets Canadian citizenship, the other twin has an incredibly easy path to citizenship because twins shouldn't be kept apart. I know these 2 brothers who moved to Canada from Poland, the second one had no problem getting a citizenship after proving he had an identical twin living here.
>>
>>872008
>178 countries
The top 10 passports in the world have like 1 country difference between them all. Do you really give a shit about 177 vs 178? It'll be something like some shithole country. No where you want to go. It's reciprocity where if the people aren't good enough to enter your England, then you can guess what kind of country they are from.
>America and Canada don't have such systems. You still have to get approved through a Customs agent. BS.
Immigration and customs are two separate things. Approval is no more than glancing at your face vs the photo. If you think eye scanning is more "friendly" well, great. If you think being asked about food in your luggage, yes/no, is a horrible delay, then you must have been seeing a bad day at a bad airport. 9 times out of 10, it's nothing more than handing over a piece of declaration paper as you whiz by with your luggage towards the exit.
>>
>>872656
Are you American born with mexican nationality? What was the process like? Mother is mexican born.
>>
>>872698
Unless you wanted to work in the EU, why do you think your Canadian passport is so restrictive? It's a good one.
>>
>>872720
>Unless you wanted to work in the EU,
ding ding ding.

Ah well, my long-term girlfriend is an EU national, so it'll be easy once we tie the knot.
>>
>>872434
I'm both great-grandson of Italians and Spaniards
My father waited 20 years to get the italian citizenship. There are few prerequisites so a lot of people apply for the citizenship, wich makes the queue and waiting LONG
>>
Canada+Russia= 90% of countries+ weird countries & Russia= 100% coverage.

See u at 2018 world cup my niggos
>>
File: 1404606077312.png (1 MB, 784x757) Image search: [Google]
1404606077312.png
1 MB, 784x757
>>872718
Being an America is shit...no offense.

> Only 2 Governments that tax based on citizenship wherever you live in the world

>Have power to bully Government into extraditing you.

>American citizenship really isn't anything special. All you have to do is be born there. I don't hear poor Mexicans and African Americans saying. 'OMG. I'm an American citizen. Let me take advantage of these opportunities that this country offers in comparison to my home country.' Instead they spend it on drugs, crime, and other shit.'

Being British and/or any other EU nationality is the best you can get IMO. It means more to be British than it does to be American.
>>
>>872835
Oy m8 I tip me fooking bowler to you. How's about you self-hating Yankee cum ovuuh to good ol livahpuuul and have us a poke at sum slags ovuuh at the local puhb.
>>
>>872836
british people are ugly and have bad teeth, truly multiculturalism is a godsend for those people
>>
File: 1368118425213.jpg (32 KB, 459x219) Image search: [Google]
1368118425213.jpg
32 KB, 459x219
>>872019
>America
>>
American. I really have no interest in living or working in the EU, so that's fine. I can travel there easily enough. What I dislike is that thanks to us playing world police and kill the Muslims for so long the idea of visiting many places in the Middle East make me hesitant.
I would love to travel Iran and Jordan. I also saw a guy make an awesome thread on ADV about his ride through the "Stans".
>>
>>872835
Doesn't british citizenship go parent to child though?

probably 2/3 of the planet could be british and just hasn't done the paperwork.
>>
>>872835
> Only 2 Governments that tax based on citizenship wherever you live in the world
Shit sux, but to be fair, it's because so many Americans were cheating their system. And they still do, only in legal ways.

>>872860
Protip: Most normal every day people don't care where you come from. They often aren't loaded with as much prejudice as most Americans are.

Jordan is safe as fuck anyway. If you do meet some blood-thirsty kidnapper hurka-durkas, they are not going to care if you're American, Canadian, British, German, French or Argentine, it'll be off with your head either way.
>>
I have a canadian and french passport.
though i should probably get off my ass and go obtain my french one
>>
>>872904

Recently British Citizenship has got tougher, you have to prove residency to get a passport. The Crown Dependencies (Isle of Man, Channel Isles) and the Overseas Territories (Falklands, Bermuda, Turks & Caicos, Anguilla etc.) don't even get full British Citizenship, so don't get the perks like being able to move anywhere in the EU or whatever.
>>
Google says a US passport allows 172 countries. They probably don't count Cuba but Cuba never stams your passport if your American.
>>
>>873011
Yeah and I do know this, I still think this shit. Thank got my half Jewish heritage didn't give me an obvious Jewish last name.

In my travels locals have never given me trouble, it's always Western travelers who go out of the way to tell me their highly educated viewpoints on America's politics and policies, but not smart enough to not realize I am not my government.
Friend visited Jordan and had a great time, it's high on my list despite my unnecessary worries.
>>
I hold a passport from a Muslim country but it allows me to travel around the Schengen area without a visa for 90 days. Guess my passport.
>>
>>873204
As someone with a passport from a Muslim country and constantly getting fucked by visa policies, I'm curious.
>>
>>873204
British
>>
>>873207
kek
>>
>>873204
Here's the list of possible countries:

Albania
Bosnia&Herzegovina
Brunei
Malaysia
>>
>>872828
If my mother had sent the docs to Japan I would have Japanese nationality instead of Brazilian. Too bad that Japan doesn't allows dual citizenship but still it should be much easier for me to move to Brazil with Japanese citizenship than it is for me to move to Japan with a Brazilian citzenship since most of my relatives are in Brazil anyway.
>>
>>872526

god damn i hate you
>>
US/Spain here. It's nice, I can get back into the US fine, and I've got EU. I would like a Norwegian one, though.
>>
>>872008

Does OP realize the US has (mostly) automated customs control nowadays.

I check myself in and unless i get a big x on my receipt I'm basically free to go
>>
>>873301
OP obviously doesn't really travel much in the US. It's all hearsay to him. Maybe he's muslim-brit. I dunno.
>>
>>872716
I've heard about the identical twin thing before. I always pretty much assumed it was really because they can't tell them apart anyway, so it's safer to have them both legal rather than risk one of them just moving in and both using the same IDs and so on.
>>
>>872012

we stopped over on japan for 8 hours on a fligth to nz from the uk, they gave us a 30 day visa and we went to tokyo.
>>
File: Bswz0ZrCIAEyKsk.jpg (22 KB, 600x245) Image search: [Google]
Bswz0ZrCIAEyKsk.jpg
22 KB, 600x245
>>872008
I have a dutch passport. I'd say the best thing about them is that they are very resistant to physical damage.
>>
>>874100
0/10

>>>/b/
>>
>>874100
too soon.
>>
>>874100
On a serious note, did the people who went to the crash site pile them up or were they kept in one spot during the flight. Kinda weird that they would have all those passports undamaged.
>>
File: BsxTjKWCIAA69Bk.png (207 KB, 577x316) Image search: [Google]
BsxTjKWCIAA69Bk.png
207 KB, 577x316
>>874220
Most likely the former
>>
>>874220
The fuel in the wings would make a fireball, but if the plane fell apart before that, there's very good odds of all the content and people inside simply smacking in to the earth over a scattered area. Pulverize bodies, broken metal and plastic, but intact passports (which are light, after all). They may have caught fire afterwards, or not. Real life missiles are less orange/explodey than Hollywood would have you believe, their purpose is to rip something apart, not set it on fire.
>>
>>874220
>or were they kept in one spot during the flight.

what a stupid question
>>
File: swiss pass.jpg (7 KB, 192x263) Image search: [Google]
swiss pass.jpg
7 KB, 192x263
I am a dual citizen of USA and Switzerland but only have a US passport. Would it really be that beneficial for me to get a Swiss pass?
>>
>>874430
If you wanted to go to Cuba or Russia and/or wanted to work in Europe. That's about it.
>>
>>874430
Very much so. Even though it's not EU, for practical purposes of traveling and living and working in Europe, it's like one. There's no reason for you not to have one.
>>
File: image.jpg (180 KB, 1425x625) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
180 KB, 1425x625
How bad is this?
>>
>>874510
meh.
>>
>>872008
>Whats so good about your passport?

It has my name in it, and allows me to go places.
>>
>>872008
It's an American passport, so idk.
>>
File: Murica1.png (45 KB, 1425x625) Image search: [Google]
Murica1.png
45 KB, 1425x625
>>874556
For you
>>
>>874567
What exactly is electronic clearance and why do I need it to go to Australia?
>>
File: passport.jpg (56 KB, 328x439) Image search: [Google]
passport.jpg
56 KB, 328x439
Palestinian fag. My passport brings my nothing but harassment and restrictions because if fucking Israelites. I'm literally treated like a sub human because I have it

>tfw
>>
>>874744
good goym
>>
File: mysterygoy.png (11 KB, 274x290) Image search: [Google]
mysterygoy.png
11 KB, 274x290
>>874745
How the fuck did I even get on this board? This is the first time I have ever been on >>>/trv/
>>
>>872008

What.. Australia and New Zealand have had such automatic tech for years. 10 Years to be exact. I actually used my friends passport once and it worked and he worked with mine, don't know what type of security issue that is or just because we looked alike.
>>
>>874744
looks boss though.

>USA
Never get hassled anywhere, but we're such assholes to other countries about immigration, so a lot of places limit us in return.

Thanks aussies and NZers for being nice ;_; I'll come and holiday with you guys.
>>
>>874744
>My passport brings my nothing but harassment and restrictions because if fucking Israelites.

No, your passport brings nothing but harassment and restrictions because your people are scum-tier terrorist pests who no one in the Middle East will accept, least of all the Israelis.

Keep blaming the failings of your backwards, underdeveloped, fundamentalist Muslim culture on the Jews, though, fella. It's not like the Palestinians are an inherently backwards, silly culture.

Your land should be given back to the Turks, at least they know how to run things.
>>
>>874804
Palestinians are actually among the more liberal progressive of Arab groups (look at women's rights, equality laws, etc. etc. better than most of their Muslim neighbours), along with the Jordanians who they are basically a branch of anyhow. Their progressive slant comes, ironically, from Israeli influence.

This excludes Gaza of course, who are radicalized under obvious circumstances

Now fuck off JIDF shill.
>>
>>874818
>Palestinians are actually among the more liberal progressive of Arab groups
lol

That's like saying poodles are among the best dogs at walking on their hind legs.

>Now fuck off JIDF shill.
Hardly, Israelis are pigheaded selfish assholes as anyone who's met a lot of them knows. They're still lightyears better than the scum-tier Islamic fundamentalist Palestinians who are basically the Arab world's version of the guys in high school who sniff glue and steal stuff from house parties.
>>
>>874804
Is this rudeness really necessary?
>>
>>874833
Rudeness? I was being accurate.
>>
>>874838
Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>874838
Israel is an illegitimate state that frequently acts in contradiction to International Law and illegally occupies land that does not belong to them.

Israel deserves every single rocket from Gaza that it gets.
>>
>>874804
This board is racism free

Please leave
>>
>>874868
Get your abusive language out of /trv. It belongs on some other forum. It's 50% bullshit. It's flippant explanations, overgeneralizations that are bound to piss some people off. I know some arab orthodox christians who's family lives internationally like a diaspora, not all of them, none of which are "rich" nor was that why they moved. It was religious persecution. Regularly christians are beat up, even holy men who guard Bethlehem has been beat up. Having a job doesn't make you rich. It's the bare minimum you need to live. The fact is 80% of some regions were christian. To act like some percentage exists anymore like some badge of tolerance is false. It's less than 1%, guess who, but who is even surveying anymore.

Palestinean territory sucks because of bad management. If your government sucks balls, and people become too poor, too controlled, whether you live in a dictatorship or the wrong side of the tracks...you suffer. Before 1993, Hamas wasn't tolerated in Palestine. Arafat and the PLO welcomed it unchecked. That's when commuter jobs were lost. That's when license plates and carrying ID started. That's when walls went up. That's when life became restricted, piece by piece as solutions to terror.

All religions have coexisted in certain countries and regions all over the world, through antiquity and presently, because intelligent people see other people as humans of equal worth. When you lose that, whether from religious ideology, or from filthy corrupt shit stirring government persons, hitler or hussein or some serbian or some royal family in some empire of the last century or two, or some ancient ottoman...doesn't matter who, polite society dies and peace ends, and people who are smartest (not richest) WILL LEAVE. A cuban leaves with the shirt on his back. It's half the reason for the moment of any family or people in history. Stop acting like Palestine is repressed and check your facts.
>>
>>874907
>Israel is an illegitimate state that frequently acts in contradiction to International Law and illegally occupies land that does not belong to them.

Implying anyone gives a fuck about "international law" or the UN, a group of corrupt, shitty little developing countries
>>
>>874907
So The United States, Russia, and China haven't frequently acted in contradiction to international law and illegally occupied land that doesnt belong to them in the past few years? All three with full support of dozens of their "allies"? LOL
>>
There are many threads on the Israel-Palestina issue daily on /int/, I suppose on /pol/ as well. How about we go there to discuss it and leave this thread for the topic at hand.
>>
>>874951
tl;dr.
>>
I have a Swiss passport, and am proud. I am free to move within the following countries: Austria
Belgium
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
Spain
Sweden
United Kingdom

Here are the countries that also do not require a visa, but are restricted to 6 months at a time:
Canada
Colombia
Mexico
Panama
Peru

3 months:
Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Costa Rica
Ecuador
Jamaica
Japan
Kenya
South Korea
Serbia
Singapore
United States
>>
>>875044
>might as well kill myself, I'm never getting out of the EU at this rate
>implying you cant just move to Britain and live there long enough to get a British passport thanks to freedom of movement.
>>
>>874571
It means go online and fill in your details and pay $30. Welcome to Australia!
>>
I have a Swiss and Australian passport. Could someone please link me a site with the benefits of each or tell me?
>>
American and German. Nice blend, can use MUH AMERIKKUN HERITAGE for safety/shitty situations, German for easy EU travel.

I was going to get a Mexican one as well, but it would have been too much of a hassle to upkeep. I'm a bit bummed I never went through with it, you can never have too many passports and claiming Mexican identity is good fun.
>>
>>875786
>the benefits of each or tell me?
You get to tell migrants to fuck off in either place.
>>
I've got both my Australian and Swiss. I use whichever line is shorter when entering Europe, but have found them to be much the same
>>
>>875791
You can't have three passports, at least not legally.
>>
>>875956
Why use your Australian one to enter Europe? That makes no sense. It's easier for immigration, you won't be limited to 90 days in Schengen, and so on. Besides, there could be a legal aspect as well, I know some countries require by law to enter with their own passport if you have one.
>>
>>875971
I've always entered with it because it's what I must leave Australia on, and it's the passport I have my US ESTA with so I have to leave on it from there too (I believe?). For entering Switzerland I've never had my passport noted.
>>
>>872236
and if you're making that much, I'd personally renounce my citizenship. Fuck paying taxes to two countries, one that I'm not even involved in anymore.
>>
Do you even need your passport for trips in Schengen ? I travel form Denmark to Latvia and back all the time and i just show them my ID card my smart phone for the E Ticket. While others hassle with their passports and and printed tickets
>>
>>876066
Depends where you're from.

If you're from Iran or China or something, you do need visas between Schengen countries and so would need to show your passport (or have it on you anyway, since controls only happen in airports and shit).
>>
>>876069 oh i am EU citizen. Danes do not have ID cards. I wonder if there is more countries in EU who do not have ID cards. I once showed it at some local danish institution and they looked at me like at an alien, but at the airport it makes no problems
>>
>>876074
Austrian here. We don't have ID cards either (really surprised some friends from Germany when I told them that)
>>
English passport is hands down they best.

It has a fucking lion with a crown and a unicorn.
>>
>>872031
there is nothing cool about being french
>>
File: 1405365899976.jpg (57 KB, 600x678) Image search: [Google]
1405365899976.jpg
57 KB, 600x678
>>
Do you have to surrender your passport to hotels in Europe? In Italy travel forums, there are mentions of hotels demanding your passport. Is this an EU wide practice or country specific case? Do they only ask for documentation if you do not look european and suspect you of immigration violations? Are the various forum entries about this simply outdated?

>I ain't giving up my passport to some hotel staff.
>Thanks in advance for any word on this travel bros
>>
>>877169
You have to show them your passport and it might be scanned but do not let them keep it. You shouldn't let anyone keep your passport. Make a copy or two of the photo page and if they demand to keep the passport just give them the scanned copy.

I've read about some issues coming up with handing over passports but all the places around the world that I stayed at only noted down the passport number or made a photocopy of it and gave it back to me.
>>
>>875044
>>875372
basically me
>mfw

Got about 3 years left though, or 2 if I marry some Brit whale (not gonna happen)
>>
>>877169
Never surrender your passport. Ever. This is to be kept on your person (by law) by a lot of countries in the world as your only form of ID. A passport isn't just a pain to replace, but a passport is extremely valuable to criminals for theft (for doctoring up, trafficking people, much more than financial identity theft reasons). The cover alone is worth money.

But, from their perspective, there could be valid reasons that it benefits them to have it, not just see it. It prevents immigrant maid/staff from rooting around in rooms for them.If it's common knowledge (among them) it discourages their hotel from housing individuals wishing to be there anonymously. But, most of all, it ensures you might not skip out of the hotel not paying your bill suddenly. It may be something they keep to show to police to report your disappearance or if they suspect you of some crime, I dunno.
I've been asked for the passport at check-in, most of the time, and having heard of them "holding it" various places, I hear this most often happens at low end hotels and hostels. I would politely decline to leave it or have it copied, and only offer a photocopy you already have. Even when you show the ID, you open it, turning it around for them to inspect, but you don't let go of it. If you come up against some policy about giving it to them? Decline, and simply state that you are actually in town to go to the Embassy/Bank/Attorney, and you will be needing it on your person. Then, they should nod and only suggest that they have a safe deposit box and please don't leave it in your room, etc.
>>
>>877250
You don't have to be afraid of giving it to them. In a lot of hostels they take it and scan it to have a copy on their computer. Then they give it back. If you're worried, just tell them you don't want to lose sight of it and that they need to make copies or whatever at the moment or else you're taking it with you.

This is why I always take photocopies and if they need that I can just leave it there for however long they want.
>>
>>877220
>>877252
>photocopies
I'll just add to that by mentioning that I used to carry reduced copies so I could get more than one on a page -- but people sometimes insist on a full sized copy. So be lavish with your use of copy-paper, make full sized copies.
>>
>>877252
They can keep it if you give it to them. Telling someone not to worry is your level of trust. If they really don't want to give it back, they can simply tell you it's policy and you can either leave the hotel, and lose your money or you comply. Give them a photocopy. You should have a photocopy of it when traveling, anyway.
>>
>>877378
They can't legally keep it. If they do you can always call the cops on them. A document such as your passport cannot be kept by a hotel against your will. And no, you wouldn't lose your reservation if you asked for it back.

Don't exaggerate shit. All they ever need is to write down your passport number and possibly scan your photo page. It has its benefits too in case you get lost and people are looking for you.

In all hostels I stayed they gave back my passport before check-in was complete. Never lost sight of it. Don't be paranoid about everything in your travels cause it would be pretty bad business for a hotel/hostel to steal peoples passports.
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.