[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'd to hear differing opinions from people that have been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: Vietnam-vs-Thailand-linkxem.jpg (43 KB, 513x273) Image search: [Google]
Vietnam-vs-Thailand-linkxem.jpg
43 KB, 513x273
I'd to hear differing opinions from people that have been to both countries.

Would like to know which country is easier to meet women, which country is easier to teach English without a degree, what is the difference between the culture and people of both countries, etc.

I've heard Thailand is advanced. They have good healthcare for Southeast Asia, advanced transportation (Vietnam has no metro), food is better, Thai girls are easier etc. Can anyone concur.
>>
>>1095248
muh street food
>>
Thailand has better ladyboys.
>>
>>1095248
Thailand is generally easier to meet women however it's not as open as you'd think. I'm not a big fan of Thai women (hate the way they talk), Viet women are tiny so that may or may not be a plus for you. Thailand is easier to get started as a foreigner who knows nobody, in Vietnam you really need to get a few local friends before doors start opening for you.

Food is a matter of preference; personally I don't care much for most Vietnamese food (coffee on the other hand is p good) so Thailand gets my vote on that one. Thai food is also a bit more accessible, and Bangkok has decent western style food available for those occasions when you want it. Bangkok is the only city in those two countries with an actual decent public transportation system.

In terms of people I found Vietnam actually a bit more welcoming. Thailand attracts a lot of scumbags so most locals aren't that excited to meet a foreigner, whereas outside the big cities most Vietnamese I met were very welcoming.
>>
>>1095248
I lived in Thailand for a number of years, and made several extended trips to Vietnam. My ten cents:
>meeting women
In general, Vietnam is a bit more socially conservative than Thailand. Thailand isn't as free and easy as its reputation, either--I had several serious or attempted-serious relationships when I was there, and a small handful of flings, and maintain that Thai women are, generally, significantly less 'easy' than American women. There's a bit of stigma attached to dating foreigners, because nobody wants to be mistaken for a prostitute, and although you meet plenty of gold-diggers/social climbers, party girls, and other misfits, there isn't a hookup culture among 'good' girls, which is to say most of them. Have to take some time and put some polite effort into dating them.
>Teaching w/o degree
Legally, neither is easy. In Thailand, you'll need a degree for any job that can sponsor you for the appropriate visa and work permit. So while people can and do get private tutoring work, and some find gigs at sleazy night schools, they don't have legal papers and can only stay in the country for a maximum of six months in any given year (that's as long as is possible on either tourist visas or exemptions). There are a few visa workarounds (student visas to attend Thai language school, cooking classes, or boxing gyms), but few good for more than 6 mo/year total, and none permit you to work. So you'll be at some risk of arrest and deportation. They crack down on bogus teachers every two years or so, and the current military junta recently tightened visa overstay penalties, so thinking it will be easy is a potentially very expensive mistake. Under-the-table teaching also pays very poorly, so you're not going to impress the ladies unless you are waaaay upcountry and trying to pick up tenant farmers' daughters. Vietnam is a lot cheaper, since I don't think legal work is easy to find there, either.
>Healthcare
Meets international standards in Thai cities.
>>
>>1095335
>Continued
Healthcare in Vietnam is OK for non-major issues at some private facilities in the cities; the main health system is a lot less reliable. I have expat coworkers in Hanoi who flew to Bangkok when their daughter had to be hospitalized.
>Culture, friendliness, openness
Hard to say. The two countries are very different. Thailand is in my experience quite welcoming at least in a shallow way, although some people in the cities can be a bit jaded. Country folk are often as nice as the country's reputation. In neither country can you ever expect to 'assimilate'--both have strong nationalist sentiments in their cultures, and you will always be 'not one of us' on some levels. It isn't necessarily unfriendly, but it is always there.
>Transport
Bangkok does have a modern transit system covering part of the city (connected to boats, my favorite way to travel there, to reach some other parts of town), but street traffic is awful and many parts of the metropolis are a snarling mess. On the plus side, sidewalks where they exist are not as crowded with parked motorcycles there as in urban Vietnam.
>Food
I'm biased in favor of Thai cuisines, and the above anon is right that Western or global fare is more readily available in Thailand, but a great can be made for the street foods of VN, too. Much cheaper, and it's the only country in Southeast Asia where alcohol is not disproportionately priced. In Thailand, a beer at a street stall may cost more than your plate of rice; in Vietnam it will cost less or much less. Beer is not very good in either country, but at least it's very cheap in VN.
>>
File: sindrom-portalnoj-gipertenzii2.jpg (217 KB, 1000x1313) Image search: [Google]
sindrom-portalnoj-gipertenzii2.jpg
217 KB, 1000x1313
>>1095248
I probably pick Thailand over Vietnam.
You don't want to be bitten by snakes or break a bone and have a possibility of dying. I know Veitnam has hospitals too but you can even own a car in Vietnam, Gl getting to the one main hospital in Saigon if a snake bite ur ass or u get robbed.
>But Thailand is too advance now, I don't want the Taiwan or South Korean modern day experience. I want the village life like Vietnam.
Dude seriously only Bangkok, pattaya and Chaing Mai and maybe few other places are tourisy. The country is big as fuck, the south the issans the ayyutaya. I've been all over SEA and I think Thailand is the best. I can get the western style of life, or living and shitting in river tall house or ladyboys beaches or smoke dope in the mountain with the Karens and have internet hospitals and help if needed.
>>
>>1095325
OK, so Vietnam then?
>>
File: Cambodia f.jpg (34 KB, 451x277) Image search: [Google]
Cambodia f.jpg
34 KB, 451x277
>>1095248
Here's what you really want for SEA. Spend the first and last nights in Singapore but spend most of your time in Cambodia.

Skip Vietnam and Thailand.
>>
>>1095518
Why Cambodia? It seems to have less infrastructure than both. Is it wait to teach English there? How is the pay in comparison?
>>
>>1095518
What for? It's shittier than thaand in probably every way except it's cheaper and has some bigger older temples though which are crumbling and underwhelming.
>>
>>1095661

I hear its pretty easy to teach without a degree and extend your visa indefinitely. Only problem is, it's an extreme third world shithole, the girls are ugly and brown and unfuckable, and it's dangerous
>>
>>1095668
I was going to quote just end of your post but actually it's all pretty much spot on. I went there a while ago and haven't cared to go back. And the temples were overrated.
>>
>>1095668
It is true that Cambodia has the most exploitable visa regime left in Sout heart Asia--most people can buy a business visa on flimsy pretexts for a couple hundred dollars that can be extended indefinitely. It's also easier than the average to teach without a degree, although nothing like as easy as it was ten years ago.

It's also a terrifyingly corrupt dictatorship, so nothing is certain.
>>
>>1095715
>*Southeast Asia
>>
>>1095518
So are you ever going to explain?
>>
>>1096596
CP, I guess.
you find those easier in Cambodia than Thailand.
only thing I can think of.
>>
>>1096609
Two different kinds of cheese pizza actually. One is the "happy pizza". The other... is that.
>>
>>1096609
I don't know what that guy was specifically thinking of (and thankfully, the commercial sexual exploitation of kids has been on the decline in Cambodia for a long time now), but I assume it has to do with the general chaos and relative lawlessness of Cambodia, which it has managed to retain for some decades while the rest of Southeast Asia has become more rich and respectable. If you're looking for it, there is a wild, and yes, often sleazy, underbelly there that Thailand, for example, hasn't had for forty years.
>>
>>1097050
>I assume it has to do with the general chaos and relative lawlessness of Cambodia, which it has managed to retain for some decades while the rest of Southeast Asia has become more rich and respectable. If you're looking for it, there is a wild, and yes, often sleazy, underbelly

And these are good things? Especially for an OP asking about working, health care, and transportation? I guess it does win in teaching English without a degree.
>>
>>1097182
It's really hard to teach without a degree in Thailand; the jobs that do exist are neither legal nor lucrative. Ive never worked in Vietnam except as a short-term consultant, but found the visa regime invasive and bureaucratic. The government is of course quasi-revolutionary and relatively authoritarian, so it seems likely that they would offer the under-the-table unqualified scumbag few professional opportunities.

Cambodia is deeply messed up, but it's also the only place left in Southeast Asia that still has a door open for weirdo drifter types. People without a lot going for them used to be able to flock to Thailand, among other places. But they've known better for a long time when it comes to people that don't actually have anything to offer.
>>
How is Thailand during the monsoon season? I'm planning a trip from Singapur to Bangkok in August...
>>
>>1095248
Thai girls are easier, viet girls are hotter
>>
>>1097381
I'm Thai fag but what is the monsoon ?
>>
>>1095248
I think the foods better in Vietnam, but that's not to say that Thai food is bad. They're both very friendly and generally have a good attitude to Western tourists. I have to say that the landscape in Vietnam just edges out Thailand (though there are beautiful parts of both countries). If you like the big city life than of course Thailand is worth visiting, Bangkok being one of the most populous cities on earth and a major international tourist/business destination. I'd say visit both and make up your own mind.
>>
>>1097394
Rainy/wet season, sorry don't know the exact term
>>
Vietnam is cheaper
Women are better looking in general
Food is cheaper (healthier and tastier)
Beer is cheaper
EVERYTHING IS CHEAPER

Not sure why anyone would choose thailand over vietnam in this age. 10 years ago thailand was incredible. Unsafe but man it was fun as all hell. Now its expensive tourist trap with to much crime
>>
>>1097541
Cheaper doesn't =/= better. Though I generally agree with everything you said except food. All of Thailand is not a tourist traps, but that seems to be the only places people frequent, then try to paint the whole country with one brush
>>
กะเทยไทย ตัดไข่แล้วค่ะ
ถามได้ทุกเรื่องนะคะ ยินดีตอบทุกคำถามค่า
>>
I hear Thailand is becoming more and more anti-foreigner, making it harder to get a visa to stay there or live long-term.

The idiots don't even care if it fucks up their tourism industry, which is probably the majority of their economy, because muh thai pride and muh anti farang
>>
>>1097751
Look at Thailand's tourist numbers. Most of it does not come from farangs, and honestly the farangs typically the abusing the visa rules aren't the ones they want in the country. They are making their country better and helping it modernize by cutting back on visa abuse. You are probably the same type of motherfucker that wants to build a wall to keep out the Mexicans. Check your privilege
>>
File: Thailand-handsome-man.jpg (145 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
Thailand-handsome-man.jpg
145 KB, 1000x667
>>1097751
>>1097820
http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanWeeklyColumn2013/farang-fatigue.htm
>>
>>1097821
This article basically says "time is short on going to SEA and being a degenerate and an asshole". Why is this painted as a bad thing?
>>
>>1095330
>Thailand attracts a lot of scumbags so most locals aren't that excited to meet a foreigner

Having visited Thailand, I agree. That being said, the food in Thailand is a bit overrated. I don't see the big plus about seeing Western Food either. If you want that, just go to the Golden Arches or the King of Burgers. The Thai are also very good salesmen, so when I purchased stuff, I usually found they broke after a few months.

The public transport is junk. I hate it, and I don't plan on going on there again.
>>
>General
Thailand is very very touristy, in all the main places everything feels setup to milk you of your money and it's all a bit artificial. The scammy locals are just as bad in Vietnam but it felt quite a bit more untouched to me

>Scenery
Found the scenery to be marginally better in Vietnam, though there isn't much in it. Either way try not to go in the rainy season as the cloud will be much worse.

>Nightlife
Not even close, if this is important to you go to Thailand and forget you even thought of Vietnam

>Food
I have no preference either way but of the people I've talked to it goes like 70/30 in favour of Thailand generally

>Women
Locals are effort tßh, Thai women are really scared of being seen with a foreign man since they think they'll look like a prostitute. Vietnamese women can't speak English, so even worse. Just go for other foreigners visiting unless you want an actual relationship, they're all far more open to that stuff.

Either way Cambodia and Laos are much friendlier and generally more stress free places to visit, genuinely lovely peoples without the scammy feeling of Thailand and Vietnam. Just make sure to go at the right time. March-September they're either hot as hades, full of smoke from burning crops or wet enough that their infrastructure turns to shit.
>>
>>1100058
That doesn't make them good salesmen, that just makes them bad craftsmen.
>>
>>1100487
I can understand having a preference for tourism, but it seems like the OP is asking which is the best country to live in long term. In a practical sense, I don't see how Laos and Cambodia can even enter into the conversation over Thailand and Vietnam. Not even saying Laos is that bad, but for what reason could it be recommended over it's counterparts across the border in the Isan region of Thailand, which is the same culturally, but with better infrastructure. Places like Udon Thani, and Kohn Kaen. Even Sakhon Nakhon.
>>
>>1100508
Yeah I'd intended to go back and preface what I'd written with saying it was only for tourism purposes as that was all I could contribute, since I'm sure others are reading the thread too. Have no real experience of what these places are like to live in as an expat, though if you pushed me to choose it'd be Thailand probably.
>>
Another thing people keep complaining about the touristy aspect of Thailand, and even Vietnam, while visiting the place as tourists. It's a different experience if you aren't living in the heart of Bangkok, hell even if you are living in Bangkok, but as a long term expat. I don't know you either don't run into the scams, or become immune to them, but the locals seem to be able to peg out a tourist over an expat, no matter how real traveler you think you are, how may times you visited, how well you think you are able to blend in.
>>
OP, what length of time would you be spending abroad?
>>
>>1101234
I think he is gone
>>
>>1101234

Maybe 3-4 years or longer
>>
>>1102797
Definitely Thailand, then
>>
>>1098847
Degenerate? You must be one of those neo-masculine types.
>>
Is it true you can't bring Vietnamese girls back to your hotel room? Are the rules really strict there? I'll be staying in Ho Chi Minh City
>>
>>1102797
OP doesn't have a degree, which means that Thailand will only let him in for six months total before he has to be out for 180 days. I don't know the details of the visa regime for Vietnam (I have never stayed longer than a month), but I expect that staying for more than 90 days w/o a job is hard and getting a job without qualifications also difficult.
>>1104239
That sounds right; it is in general a strict country with no visible prostitution or sex tourism. I imagine that people pay bribes to hotels to get local women in. I also know that it's not an easy thing to pick up local girls.
>>
>>1104340
Oh there is some visible prostitution if you know where to look.

OP how much cash do you have? Hve you considered going to school In Thailand on student visa and teach English illegally on the side?
>>
>>1100487
>Laos
it is illegal to have sex with lao women as a foreigner
>>
>>1105818
Which goes along with my point that sleeping with other tourists is by far the easiest way to go almost always.
>>
>>1105818
The question is whether they actually enforce that law and how far they can go to do so.
In a hotel room, if you don't open the door, can they force their way in?
If you rent a private house (airbnb or whatever), can they force their way in?
Are there police officers around town patrolling for possible offenders?
Do people actually denounce their neighbors?
>>
Vietnamese women are very open to foreigners if you meet them on Tinder or Badoo, especially Saigon women. Saigon was a place where I'd have a ton of cute date options each night, almost like the Philippines.

In Thailand you have almost zero extra value as a foreign traveler because there are so many of them everywhere. FWIW I never banged a non-hooker Thai girl but I had an easy time fucking really cute Vietnamese girls.

The only problem with viet girls is that they're mostly really conservative good girls. They need to be back home for a 10PM curfew each night and don't drink much at all.
>>
>>1105926
Unless you go to Saigon and find some girls living on their own.
Or such a thing doesn't exist?

And how enforced is the laws prohibiting girls from sleeping with foreign people in countries where those laws exists?
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.