[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best City/School in Latin America to learn Spanish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_2486.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2486.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Hi /trv/

Have any of you ever gone to a school in Latin America with an intensive Spanish program for any long period of time (6 months or more)? I'm interested in going since I need to learn Spanish quickly and also want a short break from monotonic North American life.

Please share thoughts, experiences, recommendations for different cities, countries, etc.

Thx
>>
Don't learn 3rd rate Spanish in Latin America, go to Spain.
>>
>>1095735
I did 5 days at Antiguena in Antigua and a couple of friends did a month there. I found it pretty helpful, my friends even more so. It cost me 100USD for the lessons and I paid an extra 65 for a homestay with three meals provided. The home stay was worth it, although some people complained about the meals, but I guess that depends on the family you stay with. They also offer a free excursion every afternoon which is quite nice.

I did feel that perhaps Antigua wasn't the best place to study Spanish as it is very easy to fall back on English as most people will understand. However, if you put your mind to it and only use Spanish then it will definitely be worth it. From what I understand the Spanish spoken in Guatemala and Mexico are very good for studying as they speak quite slowly and pronounce everything. Good luck, hope this helps!
>>
>>1095735
Texas
>>
>>1095818
>don't learn Spanish in the area where most of the people use it and close to the place you will actually use the language.

Spanish is pretty useless in Europe outside of Spain
>>
>>1095836
That does sound interesting but I'm looking for something intensive for at least 6 months to really digest the language. A month is not that long
>>
>>1096635
I'm planning on doing something similar too, so I will monitor this thread.

So far I learned that Ecuador and Peru are pretty decent for this. Since I plan on working during my stay I have to go for Chile though.
>>
I'm planning on going to Guatemala for Spanish lessons. I've been recommended to go to either Xela or Quetzaltenango but I've got to look into it a little bit more.
>>
>>1095836
>From what I understand the Spanish spoken in Guatemala and Mexico are very good for studying as they speak quite slowly and pronounce everything.
This is true about Antigua as well as Oaxaca. It's also true about the programs in Costa Rica. If you get an offer to stay with a family, make sure to do that. It forces conversations from you, 24/7.
You need the language for a particular job? There may be the program specifically geared for that vocabulary, such as for teachers of TESOL or even for Medical career purposes such as at Heredia.
http://spanishabroad.com/heredia-spanish-school/
>>
>>1096643
>So far I learned that Ecuador and Peru are pretty decent for this
Actually peruvian accent is known to be difficult with some 's' substitutions with an 'h' so you might come out with a weird dialect is you go that route. It'd be a nice place to spend 6mo, however.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.