[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Travel through Transylvania
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (191 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
191 KB, 1200x675
Hey /trv/

Me and my gf are planning on a 5 day trip to Transylvania.
On day 1 We're landing in Bucharest.
On day 2 We're taking a train to Brasov early in the morning. We plan to take a taxi to see bran castle and sinaia
On day 3 we're gonna take a train to sighisoara.
We might take a train the day after to Sibiu if We have time, if not back to Bucharest.

How does this plan seem?
Any tips and suggestions?

Thanks in advance
>>
been there a couple of weeks ago, so here goes.

I've heard there are excursions to see both Bran and Sianaia castles in a day. But all the people I met were evaluating the Bran castle as "meh" at most. And SInaia seems more like a posh summer retreat than a castle to me. So I didn't go there. I enjoyed both Brasov and Sighisoara, doing the latter as a day trip from the former. Both are nice medieval towns. More stuff to see in Brasov.

Also, there are things to see in Bucharest for like half a day. Whole day if you want to see inside the Parliament building; in the latter case, look up the tour times - it's only possible to visit with a tour, but it's not necessary to book in advance.

Both Bucharest and Brasov have the so-called "free walking tours" which are ok. THey both start at 3 P.M., last a couple of hors and show you most of what there's to see for free. In Brasov add some time for the black church (paid entrance). What else? In Brasov don't go to the Sergiana restaurant that the walking tour recommends, it's overhyped and the food is nothing sepcial.
>>
I'm going to bed heading to the same places in a week's time!

Hoping to maybe do some paragliding in Brasov. How is the nightlife there?

I have a flight out of Bucharest at like 9AM so I'm hoping to take a bus from Brasov to Bucharest early in the morn to get my flight.
>>
>>1093131
Thanks mate!

By the way, what's the best way to get to sighisoara from Brasov? Is it taxi, train or bus?
>>
bömp for interest. Will be interesting to read your review. Have considered Transylvania as a destination
>>
>>1093230
Ill be going in a month.

I'll write a review on this board
>>
File: Corvin.Castle.original.4078.jpg (894 KB, 1752x1164) Image search: [Google]
Corvin.Castle.original.4078.jpg
894 KB, 1752x1164
Romanian here, try to see this castle instead, it's way cooler, but is far away from Brasov.

I ate last year in Brasov at Cerbul Carpatin, it's around the main square... very tasty food
>>1093160
taxi would be very expensive... there should be buses
Take the long bus, way more comfortable than mini-buses: http://www.autogari.ro/curse?pid=141&did=406&zi=2016-03-23&pas=1-0-0-0-0
You should call a day before so you can reserve your seat, if you don't you might not get a seat.
>>
Is Cluj Napoca worth going up to?

Brasov, Sibiu, Sighisoara enough?
>>
>>1093531
Cluj has a nice night-life, lots of nice pubs!
>>
>>1093486
what about trains, are they any good?
>>
If you want to see where Vlad the Impaler (inspiration behind Count Dracula) really dwelt, visit Citadel Poenari. There's no records of him living in Castle Bran, he was only imprisoned there once ;p
>>
>>1094309
Reliable enough, but can be slow. As in, excruciatingly slow. Was forced to take a train from Alba Iulia to Bucharest last year. Took 12 hours to cover 400km. Go figure.

Check timetable online in advance, and avoid the slow services. Buy online and in advance to get cheaper tickets. Buy at railway station to get best advice - but make sure to speak some Romanian if you want to really ask anything specific. Romanian's easy enough.
>>
>>1094309
Yes trains are very slow and they might be crowded with students whenever there are holidays...
>>
>>1093135
I went by train. was pretty comfy.

the train station in Brasov is far from the city centre though. To get there, take a taxi. THere's also a bus but it's not worth the wait; the taxi to/from the city center is only 7 lei (less than 2EUR).
(Know this price though - not to be scammed)
>>
>>1094430
there are some trains that are super slow. Just check the times when buying your ticket.

Also, I use the swiss railways' site sbb.ch for train schedules in all of europe, including Romania. Prettty good one, that (although others swear by db.de )
>>
thanks dudes!

one last thing...

I don't speak a word of romanian.
Will they understand English or Italian if I wanna reserve a place on the bus?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.