[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NYC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: nyc.jpg (315 KB, 675x328) Image search: [Google]
nyc.jpg
315 KB, 675x328
Hi Travelers.

Heading to NYC from Kansas in july, 15-18th to be precise. I''ll be flying into La Guardia, hostel is on the upper west side of manhattan, about 1/4th of a mile from central park. I'm just traveling for fun, have a few things I'd like to do, but no real game plan. Money not really an issue, so there's that.

My Questions:

Best way to get from airport to hostel in a timely manner?

Where can I find street vendors, similar to like they have in south east asia?

Are there any dingy hole in the wall bars I should check out?

Advise/questions/comments?
>>
>>1092460
Not many hostels in NYC. It's not a hostel city. There are three airports so you have a choice. Newark is the closet to midtown Manhattan. Airbnb rentals are illegal here though they are listed on the site. Most vendors sell food:hot dog carts,food trucks,halal(Muslim kosher)food. They are all over Manhattan. Get a Metrocard to use on the subways and bus. Don't even think of renting a car here. Go to mta.info for transit information.
>>
If your hostel is Jazz - it is an excellent choice, congratulations.

The best way to get from LGA to Jazz is Uber. Or if you can't get Ube, get a yellow cab. Don't take unlicenced cabs, they're dangerous.

The second best is to take Q60 SBS bus from LGA to 125 St and then change to another bus headed downtown. It will only cost $2.75, and will be just slightly slower than Uber. However NYC bus and luggage don't mix well.

Street vendors are all over town... but most of them aim to rip off tourists and aren't really a good deal. UWS will have lots of them along Broadway.

Do make a plan - decide what you're interested in, then figure out using hr internet what it is you want to see. Otherwise you'll waste a lot of them.

Check out La Superior in Williamsburg (hole in the wall Mexican place)
>>
>>1092597
NYC airporter bus. Takes luggage and goes to Grand Central and Port Authority bus terminal.
>>
Not OP but will be going to NYC in a couple of months.

Any must-visit restaurants I should eat at?

What are some good shops for clothes?
>>
>>1093043
There are so many restaurants I can't even say. Go to yelp and see what they say.
Clothes:KMart,Macy's(catch them on a sale)Century 21,H&M,Trash and Vaudville for punky clothes,Yellow Rat Bastard for weird clothes. Get Gerry Frank's book on shopping in New York. Make sure it's a currant edition.
>>
>>1092946
Why would you go from LGA to Grand Central then back up to Harlem? The M60 makes way more sense.

OP: Download Foursquare. It's the best way to navigate all the food/nightlife in the city. There are tons of dingy hole in the wall bars all over the city. In Harlem I like the Duck.
>>
What are some good things to do on the 4th of July in NYC?
>>
>>1093954
Anything but watching the Macy's fireworks. Crowded beyond all comfort. Cops controlling access. Stay in your air conditioned room and watch it on TV.
>>
>>1094007
There are some decent rooftop parties in Brooklyn with a great view. Not all of them are expensive either. Controlled access means no crowds.
>>
Op back. My thread is alive I see. I appreciate all the tips and insight thus far.

Are there any areas to avoid?
>>
>>1094120
Suggest some parties...
>>
>>1094138
Well it's a little early considering July 4th is about 4 months away but Brooklyn Grange throws a good one at the Navy Yard. It's not exactly cheap at around $80 but it is an open bar with great food.
>>
>>1094134
Brownsville and East New York in Brooklyn. South Bronx unless you're going to the zoo or the Botanical Gardens. Just be alert and don't flash your money or phone around.
>>
>>1092460

>Best way to get from airport to hostel in a timely manner?
Take a cab. It will cost probably 30 to 40 bucks but taking the bus and then the train from LaGuardia will take more than an hour if you don't get lost.

Where can I find street vendors, similar to like they have in south east asia?
Times Square. It's better to go to a restaurant, they're not all expensive.

Are there any dingy hole in the wall bars I should check out?
Go to Union Pool and try to get laid.

Advise/questions/comments?
It's more fun if you go out of your way. It's pretty easy to talk to strangers. If you chill in a bar for a while eventually someone will be interested by you enough that they will want you to talk to them.

Don't get too drunk. Being hammered and alone in the city feels like solitary confinement, knowing that you'll pass a million people on your way back to your room and none of them could give less of a shit about you.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.