[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /trv/, I made an India general a few months back that did
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: indian-flag-graphic.png (10 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
indian-flag-graphic.png
10 KB, 450x300
Hey /trv/,

I made an India general a few months back that did pretty well. Now that I've just come back from several months in the Subcontinent, I've decided to use some of my free time to answer what questions I can and continue dwelling in the past. I won't pretend to be an all-around expert on every region, but, having worked in tourism and lived in Delhi, I do have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Stupid questions and troll replies will happily be ignored.

Just to get this one out of the way:

>are Indian girls easy?

Some are, some aren't. If you're planning to just bounce around from city to city, stay in hotels, and do the normal tourist thing, you'll probably get laid about as much as the average foreign traveler, which is, so far as I can tell, not at all.

Questions about dating and social customs are welcome, but I don't want to have a thread about sex. Save that shit for the Thailand generals, please.
>>
As always, OP, you're an invaluable resource. Thanks for making these threads. Anyway, questions...
Good day trips from Delhi and Agra? Anything really but especially somewhere to see animals.
I couldn't seem to reserve trains so I guess I'll have to use buses instead. Any advice on which ones to reserve?
I'm 24, will folk in Delhi and Punjab bother to card me when I order drinks? I'm white and I've got facial hair .
>>
File: 0.jpg (28 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
28 KB, 960x720
>>1084515

>animals

I'll get back to you on that. I was supposed to go to a bird sanctuary outside of Delhi with a few friends, but we never got around to it. I think it's about an hour drive from the city itself - I'll give him a message on WhatsApp in the morning and ask him for the name. If you're into zoos, the park in Delhi isn't half bad. However, if you'll be in India for a while, some of the best opportunities to see all kinds of exotic wildlife exists in the Northeast of the country, around Guwahati and in Assam.

For an actual day-trip, you could go somewhere in the vicinity of Jaipur. They have a lot of desert trekking companies set up there. I'd also suggest Agra itself as a day-trip, given that the city has almost nothing to offer aside from the Taj Mahal and Agra Fort.

Use RedBus.in to check for buses.

You can't avail the Foreign Tourist (FT) quota on the Indian Railways website - you have to go in person to a Foreign Tourist Bureau. The closest option they have online is the tatkal quota, but I'm not sure if they even accept internationally-issued cards. Nevertheless, you should be able to reserve most journeys with minimal planning, unless you're trying to go to a city during a big festival. The Foreign Tourist Quota ensures that a certain number of seats are set aside only for foreign tourists on every journey, although not every route and train has FTQ seats.

The chances of you getting carded are virtually nonexistent. In the last three years, I think I've been asked to show my ID a grand total of two times. Some chain restaurants and pubs card, but most other establishments don't. Liquor store cashiers don't give a fuck.

Pic is the Victoria Memorial in Kolkata.
>>
What can you tell me about West Bengal? I like the idea of the whole Bengal area (including Bangladesh), "the land of 1,000 rivers", the Bengali Renaissance, and I like Bengali food too.
Is West Bengal worth visiting compared to other areas of India, and compared to Bangladesh?
>>
File: parkstreet.jpg (115 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
parkstreet.jpg
115 KB, 720x960
>>1084613

I haven't been to Bangladesh, but their visa and spending requirements seem like a minor hassle.

Personally, I loved West Bengal. I've been having an urge ever since 2014 to check out Kokata and its surroundings, and finally went just in time for the New Year. The city itself has a number of interesting sights, but what kept me staying for days later than I'd planned was the people - not a single day went by when I didn't meet genuinely kind, friendly, and amazing people.

I'd definitely suggest checking out West Bengal. It doesn't have as many tourists as Rajasthan and Himachal and the like, but its splendid in its own right and contains famous hill stations like Darjeeling, wherein you'll be able to meet plenty of local people as well as other foreigners.

Pic is Park Street in Kolkata, which was lit up for Christmas and New Year the entire time I was in the city.
>>
>>1084540
Are you talking about the Keoladeo Bird Sanctuary? If so your friends opinion on that would be wonderful, the pictures and videos don't really give a good answer on if it's worth going.
I wasn't aware Jaipur was a day trip, I'll have to look into that more. When setting up our trip we reserved some time in Agra because, geographically, it looks closer to some of the sites we can day trip to. But upon further inspection it seems it's faster to go to those places from Delhi being that Delhi is a major transportation hub.
Good advice on the trains. I'm going north during summer and that looks like a really busy time to go north. I'm booking buses as a precaution but hopefully I can get some trains.

Thanks again guy.
>>
>>1084465

I'm planning to go in a few weeks, will weather be bad? Is it a bad time to go?
>>
>>1084615
I was in Bangladesh a few months ago. Contrary to what you'd expect, I had no hassle at all with the visa. In fact I flew in without a visa, and got one on arrival. Just filled out a form, they wanted to see my hotel booking, I paid $51, and got the visa. Easy.
>>
File: 45.jpg (56 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
45.jpg
56 KB, 960x720
>>1084675

Ah. I guess it probably depends on where you're from. What's your nationality?

>>1084670

Where are you going? The weather this time of year in cities like Delhi, Mumbai, and Kolkata is just starting to warm up. It should be pleasant in and around lower-altitude Himalayan cities like Manali and Rishikesh. If you're from a cooler climate, I'd expect you might start to feel uncomfortable in South India and throughout the Indo-Gangetic plain.

>>1084640

I'm not. I forgot to ask my friend; I'll do it again in the morning. I'm jet lagged something awful, so I'm probably going to sleep after writing out whatever I've left.

Jaipur could be a day trip. I think most people would recommend anywhere between one and three days for it.

Random pic out the window of the Delhi-Howrah SF Express train.
>>
>>1084802
Toruing the whole continent. I don't mind the heat, If it's hot and sunny that is fine by me, if it is wet I care.
>>
What's the atm the situation like? I'm planning on backpacking pass India next year and would like to know so I won't get raped in the currency exchange places like I've been this year as I backpack through Europe
>>
>>1084465

I wantto do a long trip around the country should I go in a few weeks or wait until next november?
>>
>>1084802
Eurofag here (Finland to be precise), but I don't think the nationality matters too much to get the visa on arrival in Bangladesh. Almost everyone still has a visa ready when they go to Bangladesh, so the VoA option is pretty much underused, and you can take advantage of that. Here's how mine went.

>arrive to Dhaka airport with one of the last flights of the night, we're the only arrivals in the hall coming in
>almost everyone goes to the "have visa" customs officer line
>go to desk with sign "visa on arrival", am first there, about 5 people from my plane join behind me
>have some pre-filled visa forms done on the plane ready
>officer is in no hurry, eventually pulls out some arrival book, asks how long I stay (1 week), what I do (tourism), wants me to attach hotel booking printout to form
>next desk takes my $51 and gives me receipt
>go to the empty "if you got a visa on arrival, use this lane here" lane
>am through while half of the plane with visas is still waiting in line

I was prepared for some hassle, I even had a letter of invitation printed out just in case, but they didn't ask. I got the impression it's not a visa process they readily turn people away from, as long as you're a western tourist who just wants to visit the country you'll be let in.
>>
>>1084465
Where to go if you want to see achient historical sites and Indian culture?
>>
are there really designated shitting streets?
>>
File: 5.jpg (35 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
35 KB, 720x480
>>1085596

Huh. I never realized that was an option. Looking back on it, maybe the reason I never wound up in Bangladesh is because the VoA is only available at airports, and I was mainly interested in crossing the land border when I was in West Bengal. How did you like the country overall?

>>1085576

Again, it just depends on your preferences. If you're alright with some heat, go now. There are people visiting India all throughout the year; regardless of when you go, there'll be cities and places you can go and be comfortable.

>>1085612

I don't even know where to start, man. You'd have to be more specific than that. Every state in India has a shit-ton of historical and cultural sites.

Pic is just some Delhi traffic from last winter.
>>
>>1084465

How does the real india fare against the stereotypes ?

Is the real india more close to the "designated shitting streets" meme or the "incredible exotic india" one
>>
File: IMG_3618.jpg (526 KB, 1613x1210) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3618.jpg
526 KB, 1613x1210
>>1085642

What can I say?

Everybody is going to have a different experience. India is many things - some of the adjectives I could use include dirty, polluted, smelly, and corrupt. But that's only one side of the country, albeit a highly visible one. I guess it's cheesy and cliche to say, but India really is a land of contrasts.

By and large, I like India because of the people. Once you get past the nationalist weirdos and con artists, you'll discover some of the most amazing, generous, hospitable, and honest folks you could ever hope to meet. People have a heart and soul that's very apparent in a way that I either don't notice or appreciate in my own country.

It's hard for me to put my finger on what I like about India versus other countries I've enjoyed immensely, such as Turkey, Colombia, Iraq, or Serbia. There's a lot I love and a lot I hate, but there's definitely and doubtlessly a lot more to it than stereotypes, for better and worse.
>>
>>1084615
>spending requirements
Is that a thing? I've never seen that in my research. Does that basically prevent you from being a filthy backpacker?
Maybe >>1085596 can clarify
>>
>>1084465
Debating going there with my wife soon. I read a lot online about unwanted physical attention white women often receive in India. Do you think this would be a problem since she will have a male with her? Or would they do it anyway? I'm normally not worried about fear mongering like this but it seems this is an increasing occurrence in India
>>
>>1085671

I thought it was, but I think I may have been wrong. I knew Bhutan definitely has a requirement for the amount of money you're supposed to spend daily, and I thought Bangladesh did as well, but it might just be a fund requirement - like they want you to show that you have $50 to spend per day.

Honestly, I don't really know what I'm talking about. Been a while since I seriously considered Bangladesh and looked into the requirements. Hopefully he'll clarify.

>>1085672

It could still be a problem, especially in crowded places or if she's by herself in a lower-class locale.

I doubt anything violent or especially bad would happen. However, she's liable to get some unwanted attention no matter. But I think if she dresses modestly and uses her brain, you'll be fine.
>>
>>1085619
>>1085671
I can only speak from my experience. They didn't ask me about spending or anything at the Bangladesh border, they were fine with just a hotel booking. It didn't seem like they would be strict or look for reasons to turn someone away.

Bangladesh was a bit like India, in that it's also dirty and chaotic and poor, but not as much as India. In fact I found it kind of pleasant, it wasn't such an overly dirty shithole as India (then again I haven't been to West Bengal, maybe it's a nicer part of India).

One thing is that they aren't used to tourists at all. Even in the capital city, I was walking around, and I was literally the only white guy I saw all day long. Locals would stop and stare at me as I was walking by. It's rare for them to see a white guy in person, they only have seen them on TV. The nice thing is that they were just genuinely curious, in India I would always be surrounded by beggars, but nothing in Bangladesh. Even though they're dirt poor, nobody tried to beg me for stuff or even rip me off - nice contrast from India.

A funny detail that I thought coming in it would be a kinda islamic country. But they're pretty secular actually. My hotel even had a bar with alcohol available (as well as working girls).
>>
>>1085677
Bhutan has a minimum of $250 per day. But that's actually included in your tour package, so it's not as bad as it sounds. You can only go to Bhutan with a guided tour. So you pay that $250 or whatever per day, and that will include lodging, food, and a full tour program with a guide for your stay.
>>
>>1085681
>A funny detail that I thought coming in it would be a kinda islamic country. But they're pretty secular actually. My hotel even had a bar with alcohol available (as well as working girls).
wow really?
yeah and they even have crazy islamist groupings and shootings at mosques haha so secular
if you stay in international hotels of course you're gonna get alcohol there
go to gulshan and you'll find bars
doesn't change the fact that bangladesh is a complete and utter piece of shit country and an islamic cesspit on top of that
you should have spent a few minutes each day reading the news, if they offered the daily star in your hotel
violence and crime is abundant in bangladesh, be glad you didn't get robbed or had your arm hacked off during a riksha mugging
>>
>>1086219

this
>>
>>1085658
Is it realistic to think I could be there in 18 days?

How much planning should I consider?
>>
What do you think of Adlabs Imagica Theme Park outside of Mumbai?
>>
>>1086736

Sure. I didn't really do any planning before I went the first time. If I were you, I'd just reserve a room in advance, do some reading on common scams for newcomers, and enjoy.

Also check to make sure you're eligible to get an e-visa, because I'd expect you'd be out of luck otherwise.
>>
Bump/ itenerary

With OP's help I decided to replace Agra with Jaipur and go to the tiger reserve instead. Now my schedule looks 3 days in Delhi, 2 in Jaipur, 2 in Dharamshala, 2 in Amritsar, then 2 more in Delhi with one day blocked out for travel for each city.
>>
>>1089120
Delhi is shit why are you giving it so much importance?
>>
>>1090016
It's a strong central transportation location for day trips. One for Agra and maybe one for Vrindavan. Would still love more day trip suggestions. It also acts as a stop gap day, if I like Dharamshala or Amritsar and need another day I can eat into Delhi. If not then I'll be in Delhi relaxing before I fly to my next destination.
>>
>>1090016

OP here. On my way to a wedding so I can't type much, but Delhi is only shit if you stay and spend your time all around a place like Paharganj. It amazes me how much foreign travelers hate the city when they stay in the worst and most annoying part.
>>
almost opnened a new thread, but then i found this one,

I am looking for tips/opinions on northeast india!
Anyone recently been there? I have a few questions:

1. What is there to see/do? Any general Tips/“Must-Sees/Dos“? Wikitravel only seems to inform about bigger cities and national parks... I am not very interested in big cities and temple-sightseeing. Are there smaller villages in nature, that can be visited without problems?

2. I understand that I do not need a special permit for Assam (German here). But how difficult is it to obtain a permit for the other places (Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, etc...)?

3. How is the security situation? (I have an indian girlfriend, so language will not be a problem)

4. Is it more expensive than other parts of India? Is there budget accomodation?

5. Can you visit tribal areas? What is the best way to do so, apart from a guided tour?

Thanks a lot in advance!
>>
bump for information
>>
Do people there really have zero sense of personal space?
>>
Anyone have experience driving in India? Is phone GPS a thing there and are the highway systems easy for foreigners to manage?

I've been thinking about it as an alternative transport option. I've driven everything from motorcycles to big rigs but driving in India still sounds intimidating.
>>
>>1090281

OP again. I want to go to NE India but I haven't been yet. If you do a Google search for "India restricted areas," you should be able to find a list of which states you need a permit to enter - I had a link the other day, but never got around to posting it. I don't think you'll have a difficult time getting authorization to enter other areas, but you should pay extra and do it through a trustworthy tourist agency in advance if you don't want to deal with the hassle.

The security situation should be alright. There are occasionally bombings and shootings in Guwahati and other portions of Northeast India, but it won't be like traveling into Kabul or al-Raqqa.

So far as I know, NE India is cheaper than the rest of the country by quite a bit. The people are also supposed to be very friendly.

>>1090922

Pretty much.

>>1091436

Yeah. Navigation in big cities like Delhi and Mumbai works well, whether you're talking about a standard GPS or a service like Google Maps or Google Navigation. India also doesn't have very many highways in the Western sense of the word - there are some multi-lane ones between Mumbai and Pune and Delhi and Noida and Gurgaon, but the infrastructure, all things considered, is not very modern. Highways like the Yamuna Expressway would be a little hectic but not hard to handle.

I personally found the highways to be a pain in the ass around Delhi, Ghaziabad, and Noida. There are few clearly marked exit signs or exit numbers, and I found myself pulling over often to check my location, given that I was driving a motorcycle.

Driving in India honestly isn't bad, at least on a bike. You need to practice and get over your fears, but, cliche as it may sound, there is order in the chaos. I learned how to ride a motorbike there and was going all around by myself within a week. Never had an accident. Just be careful, watch your surroundings, and always think about the condition of the road as well as what the cars around you are doing.
>>
>>1090281
Sikkim is a nice place
Lots of qt girls for sightseeing too
>>
So i have a few questions I hope someone can answer.

So my gf took a teaching job in an international school in Mumbai for 2 years. And i was wondering if it is easy/possible for me to join her, find a job and live with her if we arent married.

Couple things about myself. I live in the US. I dont have a bachelor's degree in anything. (I heard its easier to get international jobs with one). I am trained and certified in teaching yoga and the degree allows me to teach anywhere in the world. I have looked online briefly for a yoga job in Mumbai and found several places hiring.

Also, how easy/possible is it to visit Mumbai for a month on a visa, look for a job during that month and then extending my visa longer?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>
How do I meet other travelers? Right now I'm staying with some Indians that I know from back home but soon I will be on my own in Haldwani/Nainital. There aren't many hostels where I could meet anyone.
>>
I'm planning a 15 days trip to Rajasthan, but it has to be in August. How bad is the monsoon? A lot of rain?

Also, I want to go to Ranthambore, but I know it's partially closed for the rains, do anyone know if it is still possible to see tigers?
>>
OP bumping. On a road trip until Sunday. Will answer questions then
>>
Almost home, bumping
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.