[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AIESEC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: aiesec.png (20 KB, 671x252) Image search: [Google]
aiesec.png
20 KB, 671x252
Any Aiesecers here? What was your experience like? I am thinking about teaching English in a Latin American country. Is this a good idea? I want to practice my Spanish, but I am a bit worried that Latin America will be dangerous for a girl like me. Also, what is the interview/selection process like? What kind of questions will they ask?
>>
>>1092715
Mixed bag, some are totally legit, some are rag-tag groups that suck. Make sure it's a good organization on the other side and you'll be fine. Also don't expect to be taken good care of, that comes down to your own organization. If you're going to a poor country, you'll be living like the locals. It's fun, but don't expect Contiki crap.

Also Latin America is a very diverse place and varies considerably regarding safety.
>>
>>1092786
>don't expect to be taken good care of
I think "travelling alone" implies that.

They seem to have a lot of projects in Brazil, Mexico, Peru, and Colombia. Are those countries safe-ish?

Also, are they really picky when selecting candidates after the interview? Like do they only pick the people with the most stuff on their CVs to go on these trips? Do they even care about how many extras curricular activities you took part in? I only took part in some volunteering activities.
>>
>>1092978
>I think "travelling alone" implies that.
No, it doesn't, because travelling and living are two different things.

>They seem to have a lot of projects in Brazil, Mexico, Peru, and Colombia. Are those countries safe-ish?
Those countries are all enormous, and have cities and regions that are very safe as well as ones that can be dangerous. If you have you ask, do some more research on the countries themselves. Do you even know what you're interested in? Be mindful Aiesec doesn't only have branches in "safe" cities and some branches are in absolute shitholes. You need to do a lot of research into the countries you're applying to and the cities themselves. www.wikivoyage.org

>Also, are they really picky when selecting candidates after the interview?
It depends. Are you from a rich Western country? If yes, then the bar is low. I used to do the interview process and we only turned away people who were clueless or annoying. A big part of it is building experience so they don't care about your resume as much as your personality. Just do your research beforehand and show that you're outgoing, organized, and open-minded.

Having said that, your resume will factor into more demanding positions like well-paid positions in Switzerland, etc. If you're looking to go to the developing world for minimal (or possibly no) remuneration, you have nothing to worry about.
>>
>>1092715

As someone that doesnt study business, AIESEC was absoluteness shit tier.

For a organisation that claims to represent all students studying across a range of fields, they had very, very little to offer to students that weren't doing business/economics and that didn't specifically want to volunteer.
>>
>>1093006
Yeah, I saw a post by this guy where he talked about ending up in a remote village in Brazil. He had fun though.
I am from Hong Kong. I am interested in visiting Latin America to practise my Spanish.
Thanks for the info!
>>1093007
Do you get paid for teaching?
>>
I'm responsible for the Talk project in my local AIESEC comitee and we only turn down people that couldn't hold a simple conversation in english. If you can browse 4chan you would be accepted for sure. But it depends as the other anon said, Touristic cities like Rio or Recife will have a ton of applicants so it may be harder being accepted there than in a small city in the countryside that does not offer any touristic attraction, but in the other hand those comitees will support you through your travel much more
>>
>>1093173
>than in a small city in the countryside
Are these smaller cities unsafe though? Also, is it possible to go sightseeing at other cities (or even countries) during your time aboard?
Also, how will the committee support me more?
>>
>>1093007
>volunteer
>overseas
>to teach
>on your own dime
>on your own time
>to get experience literally of the same tier as volunteering with refugee families

I'm still baffled anyone does this.
>>
>>1093407
Don't you get paid for teaching in an Aiesec program?
>>
>>1092715
Hey OP,
I'm not a member because most of the people in AIESEC are a bit insane, but you can apply for an internship without joining them; that's what I did. I went to Azerbaijan 1 year ago and taught Engish for 2 months(for free though) and in August I'll go to Kyrgyzstan for half a year(I'll earn around 400$/month, which is quite okay I think). The drawback is that they won't pay for the ticket AND you have to pay them around 100$ in order to apply for the internship. The good thing is that they will send you an invitation letter for your visa and provide accommodation.

As far as I have seen, there are a lot of possibilities, even in South America, especially Brazil, so you wouldn't have any problem finding something which would suit you. I suggest getting in touch with a member from your local AIESEC team and ask them about that, they might even help you find an internship. There are also a few facebook groups where people various internships, so you could start looking there. Luckily, most of them are related to teaching English or IT, so you wouldn't have any problems finding something which would suit you.

Good luck.
>>
>>1093420
>in August I'll go to Kyrgyzstan for half a year
What will you be doing there? Don't they pay you for teaching? I saw this in the Aiesec UK website.
>Brazil
I don't speak Portuguese (only Spanish), but it is easy to "read" Portuguese when you already know Spanish.
>>
>>1093423
Forgot to mention that I'm going to teach English. And yes, I'll get around 400$/month for that, plus the accommodation is free, since I'm going to stay with a host family. I think it's alright, since Bishkek is really cheap, so I can come back home with some money in my pockets.

It's not a big problem if you don't speak the language, at least from my experience. When I was in Azerbaijan, I coulnd't speak Russian or Azeri and the people couldn't speak English and it was no big deal. This time I'm going to learn a bit of Russian or Kyrgyz though, at least a few phrases, it's always useful to be able to communicate with the local people. I suggest you do that too, there's not a big difference between Portugese and Spanish, so learning a few words won't be hard for you.
>>
>>1093425
Oh your salary can even cover your flight tickets? Do you all Aiesecers live with a host family when staying abroad? Do you stay with someone else while living with a host family?

How come they didn't pay you when you taught in Azerbaijan?

I'm from Hong Kong. Do you think that it will be hard for me to find a teaching job in Latin America?
>>
The salary can easily cover my tickets. A one way ticket costs about 160$, so it's no big deal, really. I chose to stay with a host family because it's free, you get food and they usually do your laundry, so you'll be their "child" for the whole duration. You can also find a flat if you want, but you'll have to pay for it, though.
There are two types of internships - a 2 month internship and a 6 month/1 year internship. Usually they only pay you in the latter.
Doesn't matter where you're from, as long as your English is fine and you perform well at the interview, you'll be good to go. I'm not a native speaker either and I'm from Romania, so it won't matter where you're from and what your background is.
>>
>>1093428
Wow teaching in Latin America will be expensive as fuck for me as I will only be there for summer and Latin America is so far away from Hong Kong. Is it possible to find a 2-month teaching internship with a salary in Latin America?
>>
>>1093429
I can't say for sure if you'll be able to find one, but you can give it a try. Even if you'd find one, don't expect to get more than 200$/month. The best thing you could to is to browse the facebook groups I told you about and ask the local AIESEC members for more info. I might be wrong, because I'm not a member, so I don't have much knowledge about their offers. But you can give it a try. Else, you can try to find something a bit closer.
Good luck!
>>
>>1093430
>200$/month
Is that in American dollars? It's probably not enough to cover my living expenses over there then.
>>
>>1093431
I just guessed the salary, but it should be around that. You might find something better though.
>>
>>1093437
Can I search for Aiesec opportunities on this site?: http://www.workinestonia.com/short-term-talents-via-aiesec/

Also, did you have a great time with Aiesec. What made you interested in joining Aiesec again?
>>
>>1093438
I found the second internship on that facebook group and then contacted the person who posted. I think its the easiest way. I didnt really want to make an internship with aiesec again but then I found the internship in Kyrgyzstan and decided to give it another shot. Aiesec is okay but you"re better off searching something on your own.
>>
>>1093439
I looked at the opportunities site I've linked to. You are right. Most paid internships last for more than 20 weeks.
>>
>>1093439
Wait wait. I says "paid" teaching internships on this site though.
>>
>>1093385
>Are these smaller cities unsafe though?
Countryside cities are much safer than state capitals, atleast for Brazil
>Also, is it possible to go sightseeing at other cities (or even countries) during your time aboard?
Depends on the project, usually you don't work at friday/weekends so you can go sightseeing. But be aware that Latin America is huge so you won't be able to visit Rio or Foz do Iguaçu for a weekend if you're staying in São Paulo for example. Most foreigners here do this kind of trip AFTER the project has being concluded.
>Also, how will the committee support me more?
By giving you all the attention you need
>>
>>1093621
A lot of people here mentioned Brazil. Are there many opportunities in Hispanic countries as well?

Are most summer internships unpaid? If so, it seems very expensive to me. Also, I don't think Aiesec gives back much in return after paying for the fee so I don't know if going on an Aiesec trip is money-wise.
>>
>>1093926
>Are there many opportunities in Hispanic countries as well?
Yes, Peru and Colombia come just after Brazil in terms of opportunities
>Are most summer internships unpaid?
Almost all of them, remember it's not a job but a volunteer job you're doing in a third world country. If you're going just for the cash you should look at another place
> I don't think Aiesec gives back much in return after paying for the fee so I don't know if going on an Aiesec trip is money-wise.
Well, they give you free accomodation for the entire project duration and depending on the project even free meals and transportation so you don't have to spend anything besides your flight ticket and travel insurance
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.