[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
fuck me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 5
So, fiancee and I are going abroad in June. We will be spending a month in Romania participating in a museology/archeology program. We plan on spending some time before and after around Europe, and have weekends free. Along with any general advice, I have some specific questions...

- what is the best way for us to have cell phone with data service while we travel? I know i can get a sim with data cheap in Romania, but we will be in other countries (see itinerary below) do I have to get a new sim in every country? Does orange not work in neighboring countries?

May 28 - Fly westjet to Dublin via Canada- Spending a few days in Dublin to see family there
June 3 - Fly Ryanair to Budapest (morning) - this seems the best way to get to our destination... open to suggestions)
June 3/4 - Take Euronight Train from Budapest to Sibiu (seems like if we book in advance we can get a private 2 bunk sleeper for $85 per person each way.)
June 4/5 - arrive in Sibiu at 7am (Our rooms arent available in Sibiu until Sunday afternoon or evening, but we are allowing an extra day in case of mix ups or delays coming from Budapest. We may stay a day in Budapest or get to Sibiu a day early and stay there... just some insurance)

from the 5th to the 2nd of July we are in Romania in Sibiu at the program. Looking for weekend activities and night time stuff.

July 2- take the night train from Sibiu to Budapest (same arrangement) arrive 9am on July 3rd.
July 4 - 5pm flight on Wizz from Budapest to Madrid (extra day in Budapest in between again)
July 4 - likely we will take a train that same day from madrid to Alicante where our Irish family will be vacationing, and meet up with them
July 7 - fly Ryanair to Paris in the afternoon, 3 days in france (i really want to go to bayeux)
July 11 - take the train to london in the AM, spend 2 days in UK (where are best castles near london?)
July 13 - fly thomas cook back to the states

total expense is around $1,700 each (excluding cabs, buses, etc)
>>
File: P8164208.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
P8164208.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
>>1091719
>June 3/4 - Take Euronight Train from Budapest to Sibiu (seems like if we book in advance we can get a private 2 bunk sleeper for $85 per person each way.)
Make sure you have the 2 bunk sleeper, it's quite unpleasant otherwise, which my friends and I found out the hard way - I was the only one who was able to get some sleep. If the bunk's not possible, opt for a bus, but be sure to book in advance.

>Sibiu weekend activities and night time stuff.
There some nightlife around the central square/paita mare, should keep you busy enough. Includes one music club that I know of - think it's simply called Music Pub. Very nice city centre with a handful of museums. If you like hiking, the Făgăraș Mountains are close by, and there's plenty of cabanas to stay overnight. Pic related, Făgăraș near Podragu cabana. Otherwise, if you like cities like Sibiu, pay a visit to Sighișoaro or Brașov (or any of the old Siebenbürgen). Hell, if you've got a weekend, you can explore quite a bit of the country if you can make the transport work. There's quite a bit of domestic tourism in the country, a direct souvenir from the Iron Curtain which made travel abroad uncommon.
>>
>>1091725
thanks for the input!
we definitely found the 2 bunk sleeper. i plan on even seeing if they have any private bathroom ones available because i know they exist.

i have to say we will be doing a lot of physical labor during the program, so our prefered activities will likely involve music, art, theatre, architecture, sight seeing, etc.
>>
File: P8204363.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
P8204363.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
>>1091731
In that case, look into the Siebenbürgen, all seven of them being
>Bistritz (Bistrița)
>Hermannstadt (Sibiu)
>Sächsisch Regen (Reghin)
>Kronstadt (Brașov)
>Mediasch (Mediaș)
>Mühlbach (Sebeș)
>Schässburg (Sighișoara)
All right in history and architecture, the bigger ones will have something to offer in the art/music/theatre department as well. Bucharest is probably the cultural hotspot, but in itself it isn't much to look at, as there isn't that much to see. Also, quite far from Sibiu.

Maybe consider the Alba Iulia citadel too. While the rest of Alba Iulia isn't much to look at, the citadel houses plenty of architecture, a few museums, performances etc. Also, I hear Cluj is nice too, but I'll only be in Romania again come August, so I can't say much other than what my Romanian friends have told me.
>>
File: P8214390.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
P8214390.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>1091745
Previous pic is Sibiu by the way, this one is Alba Iulia citadel.
>>
>>1091745
>>1091746
badass, thanks again
i bet we will end up renting a car and tooling around at least one weekend.

how much english is spoken in romania? im studying romanian i bit since i speak spanish so i think i might even be able to pick a little up but my fiancee speaks only english lol
>>
File: P8174263.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
P8174263.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>1091768
Fairly widely spoken amongst younger people in cities, but don't count on it anyone over 30 or people living in villages speaking it.

Learned a bit of Romanian myself too - I know French and some basic Spanish - and it isn't too hard to get some basics down if you already know a Romance language like we both do.
>>
>>1091719
hi OP, I have a question about the museology program you are participating, I'm interested as I study museology in Paris. could you give me some details ? is it releated to the Astra museum?

Also 3 days in Paris is nothing, if you have any specific questions about it let me know
>>
>>1092057
theyre run by archaeotek out of the astra museum. theyre 3 to 4 weeks, about $1600 for room, meals, and tuition. No credit is earned, and you dont even have to be a student to go, but most attendees are students and you can get credit through an independent study but its up to you to arrange it.

there are different ones. the one we are attending ( http://www.archaeotek-archaeology.org/#!field-museology---ethnoarchaeology/c1jry ) its very hands on and focuses on traditional methods of metalworking, woodworking, ceramics, etc., but there are others which focus on grave excavations,roman military artifacts, osteology, etc. We actually wanted to attend a different one, but most were full because we found out so late. I think most people apply in like January. But we got lucky, there were two cancellations on the last day that you could cancel, which happened to be the day we applied, so we walked right in.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.