[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people say that Cancun is just like another USA city?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: cancun2_2.jpg (393 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
cancun2_2.jpg
393 KB, 1600x1067
Why do people say that Cancun is just like another USA city?

I'm curious
>>
Cancun is pretty much an extension of the Florida Keys
>>
>>1091388
How so?
>>
>>1091387
Basically the part of Cancun that most people see is the resort area. So the whole beach area is just built up with resorts, restaurants, shopping malls, activities that focus on tourists and so on. Basically everyone except the cleaning ladies speaks English there. The restaurants are all either American chains or serve Americanized food (think senor frogs). They're all there to serve American, Canadian, or European tourists.

Then there's the other side of Cancun. The actual city where people live. It's not as pretty looking, the restaurants are mostly local food and just little cantinas or taco stands, it's actually quite a gritty place or just typical for Mexico (imo much more entertaining but I'm a RealTraveler). People who go to resorts visit as well but usually for just one day, those who only go to party in Cancun don't even bother.
>>
>>1091389
>How so?
People really have zero need to speak the local language, or even to do more than leave the airport, go to a taxi, go to a resort, order from resort meal choices, listen to US music and live entertainment, american TV and movies, return to airport and go home.
I don't have problem with that, because I'm sure the beach resort room, pool and view is well loved and you get access to better prices and kickass salsa beer and tequila, as well as far more competitive airfare than much else in the caribbean (Cancun has an american carrier land every 4mins).

Unlike other Mexican towns which have much more of a weekender atmosphere sheerly from being so close to the DF, this town sees more Americans and local mexicans, so you don't have the infrastructure of local businesses that balance out restaurant choices and stores. It's gotten more chain restaurant and mall style. Supply and demand.
>>
>>1091387
Because it is propped up entirely by US tourism and therefore offers nothing by way of mexican culture other than a warm beach and shitty police.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.