[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
American Travelling to Italy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Witcher.png (25 KB, 200x183) Image search: [Google]
Witcher.png
25 KB, 200x183
Hey guys,

Travelling to Italy in June with my GF. We plan on staying 11 days total and visiting mostly Rome and the Amalfi Coast.

Questions:

1.Is a car worth it? Specifically in Amalfi?
2. How reliable are the trains? Are they on point like Germany?
3. How safe is Italy? My gf is worried but I assure her it's fine
4. Anything specific to do in Rome/Amalfi besides the obvious things
5. Is 11 days over kill? I throw in a few days for travel and what not, fearing trains are late or slow.
>>
Id recommend getting a better taste in video games.

Trains are pretty reliable.
Whats 'normal'?

11 days might be too much for just those two places. I'd go to florence at least a couple days, venice for a day.

Go see pompeii/vesuvio while down near amalfi.
Ride the chair thing to the top of anacapri.
>>
>>1091296
I am a RPG guy and I found Witcher 3 to be one of the better games of 2015 along with a host of others.

I was thinking Florence too. I have been Europe a few time and I speak fluent German so I am familiar with mostly Western European trains. Because of this I was conservative with time not knowing if there will be delays or slow downs because obviously the area is unfamiliar.

Pretty easy to get by just with English?
>>
>>1091291
1. In Rome, no. Amalfi is doable on foot, but it's pretty far away from everything.
2. All Italians like to bitch about them, and they're nowhere near German tidiness or puncuality, but they're alright. Keep in mind, though, that the train station closest to Amalfi is still 20kms away.
3. Rome has some bad areas, but they're far from the city centre. There will be rubbish on the streets and a lot of hawkers, but that's just part of Rome.
4. I'll leave that to people who were there less than 6,5 years ago.
5. Maybe?
>throw in a few days for travel
That's definitely overkill. Amalfi is +-3h30m away from Rome, whether you're going by car or by train. Like other anons said, check out some other cities. Definitely visit Pompei. Check out Naples for a day or two, it's madness. You could consider going to Ischia, which is nice but very touristy.

>Pretty easy to get by just with English?
In Rome, you should. Firenze as well. Naples and Amalfi, if you do decide to go there, might not be as easy.
>>
>>1091291
Walking around the center of Rome at night felt like being in a police state desu. No normal people on the street after 1am, just cops standing around at every corner. People also cleaned up the streets like maniacs. So I don't really get what people are talking about when they say the city is unsafe or dirty.

Anyway, I'd also suggest you to perhaps check out other cities. Maybe Florence. Or maybe Pisa for just a day trip.
>>
>>1091302
>>1091307
Thanks guys, yeah if it was just I would squeeze as much as I could in but my GF is paranoid about missing a train at night and being stuck in the middle of nowhere (Her first foreign country visit)

Definitely was going to get a Pompeii trip. Is Naples worth going to really? I am military and have some friends stationed near there who said to pass.

20K? Goes into Sorrento I am guess? Would you suggest a car there or just take the SITA buses?

Good to hear about Rome being cleaned, I heard before it was dirty. Doesn't look good being the Eternal City and all..
>>
>>1091312
>Ischia
Also Ischia vs Capri?
>>
>>1091314
capri nigga i already told you

this is the the top of mount solero accessible by chair lift from anacapri

more beautiful than anything in the witcher series
>>
File: 243604_2977698900120_319798831_o.jpg (194 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
243604_2977698900120_319798831_o.jpg
194 KB, 1920x1080
>>1091325
picture
>>
>>1091291
visit Monaco khanne and Monte Carlo you poor day it's all pretty close by. relatively anyway. those are places worth visiting.
>>
Pisa is cool for a day trip, but when I went the line to actually go in the tower itself was a three hour wait. Enjoy your trip OP!
>>
>>1091291
>3. How safe is Italy? My gf is worried but I assure her it's fine
Be aware on public places there are a lot of Africans and Moroccans waiting to snatch your wallet.
>5. Is 11 days over kill? I throw in a few days for travel and what not, fearing trains are late or slow.
No,be sure to visit Venice and Villa d'Este.Both amazing places that you should take at least 2 days to enjoy.Seriously dont rush it.
>>
>>1091291
OP, look up a sample itinerary for 11 days, or at least for the days after the Rome portion.
If you are concerned about safety, I would suggest you stay 4star, so you have the extra security while you sleep, maybe even a cruise. Italy is indeed flooded with Africans right now, I forget how much 100,000 per day and unemployment of young men among citizens is closing in on 50%. This kind of economic crisis is going to be seen and felt in cities, where pickpocketing will be higher. It might be escapable in some fashion, but I wouldn't count on it.
Not recent, but fact filled:
http://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/06/the-invasion-of-italy/
Not to sensationalize, but ISIS has threatened Rome, and it's taken seriously, though the threat level for crime is "moderate" on the state dept website.
http://www.corriere.it/english/16_marzo_02/intelligence-report-warns-of-possible-terrorist-attacks-a46f5ab6-e095-11e5-86bb-b40835b4a5ca.shtml

For value and ultimate safety, I'd recommend a cruise or going up to Cinque Terre/Lake Como area. It's very insular.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.