[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I into Africa without dying?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
/k/ here, exploring the possibility of working in security in Africa when I leave the military (in a few years). Some of the places I thought of was South Africa, Zimbabwe, Nigeria, and Kenya.

Any particular language I should know, customs, etc?

I know this is really open ended, any response is appreciated.
>>
If you're a white man with a gun you don't need to know anything. Not even joking here. Anywhere is fine as long as that AK is loaded.
>>
Language depends on the country (Swahili for Kenya, Afrikaans for SA, etc.) English becomes less and less valuable the further into the bush you go. I hate to generalize Africa, since it's an enormous continent and what I'm about to say will vary immensely from location to location- but a sizable chunk of the continent is not as bad as most Americans will assume. There tends to be significantly more petty strife and small-scale fighting than developed nations, but I've traveled and lived here for almost 2 years now (Mozambique) and feel quite safe most of the time. Travel tends to be the scariest since drivers here completely disregard rules, often driving drunk.

Having said that, working security in Nairobi sounds like hell. It's known continent-wide as one of the worst cities for petty crime.
>>
>>1091286
>I've traveled and lived here for almost 2 years now (Mozambique)
Interesting, any neat stories to share?
>>
>>1091265

Most places in Africa wont hire westerners, simply because they dont pay their employees enough and the fact with the wage of a single westerner they could pay for 15-20 locals to fill that position, it comes down to a quantity over quality thing, because most of the time your not going to need high level military tactics and training to handle a few uneducated Africans with Kalashnikov's.

Apparently South Africa has some level of mercenaries that protect the rich there, but again, you'd have to compete with much, much cheaper local security experts. The other countries you mentioned wouldn't even bother.

Also even then, its probably not the adventure you think, security spend most of their time sitting in guard boxes out the front of houses or hotels.

So yeh good luck, but your probably better off trying to find a security job with a western company in the US that posts you in a position overseas (Normally in Afghanistan and Iraq).
>>
>>1091265
There's a lot less PMC activity in Africa than there used to be, as I understand it, since the big, mostly South African firms such as Executive Outcomes started getting broken up when they started placing restrictions on mercenary activity.

Look into Academi, formerly Blackwater... maybe they have something. Or look for jobs within specific firms (oil, natural gas, etc.).

I used to work for an NGO with a big office in Afghanistan; they had an ex-military Chief of Security and Operations who received pretty good danger pay. I imagine the big beltway bandits in African conflict zones have some similar people--see who's in Chad, South Sudan, CAR.
>>
>>1091316
Here's a travel one
>hitchhiking, 600km leg ahead of me
>get out to side of road at 6 AM, sun's rising and it's starting to get hot
>flag cars for over 3 hours, no luck
>starting to get desperate, start flagging anything that passes- big trucks, pickups, etc.
>finally a bus pulls over
>it even has aircon (a huge deal. It's 40C+ a lot)
>practically beg the driver to let me sit in the aisle (no seats left)
>he lets me after 20 minutes of b.s.
>we pull into gas station and wait for people to debark and present boarding passes and shit
>classically disfunctional, the simplest tasks here take fucking hours
>11AM, still haven't left
>I'm waiting patiently, assuming that we'll set off. Plus that A/C is waiting for me
>finally at noon we start to leave
>right before pulling out the driver asks for money
I've hitched around this country 50+ times, I know prices
>I think "alright, should come out to like $10"
>hand over money, he indicates he wants 5 times the usual rate
>argue for several minutes, it becomes apparent he's not budging. Other people start to get involved so I say fuck it and leave
>3 hours of waiting around completely flushed down the toilet
>go back out to side of the road, little after 12
>car stops for me immediately, thank God
>everything bully, fast driver, comfortable, etc.
>about 2 hours into the trip the bus I was on flies by us going 120km/h+
>2 more hours go by, we pass by the bus about 30 feet off the road on its roof
>frame smashed, glass everywhere, bodies strewn about, completely totaled
Being a cheap ass saved my life that day.
>>
>>1091395
How did you end up in Africa? It doesn't seem to be a place where people generally go for long periods of time.
>>
>>1091774
>How did you end up in Africa?
Probably white south african.
>>
>>1091265
Become anti poaching ranger OP

--> pro track anti poaching unit in SA
>>
>>1091774
Peace Corps volunteer. If you're unfamiliar/not American, a government org that sends people to developing nations for education, agriculture, health, etc.
>>
>>1091265
>South Africa
As an Afrikaner I can tell you that working security for most places is pretty kushty.
You'll usually be, like >>1091328 said, working for a local security company in smaller towns. Literally your only concerns will be armed robbery (knives, machetes, pistols), burglary, normal robbery, and trespassing. Most houses security companies cover are usually equipped with alarm systems, maybe a panic button or two, and that usually just scares them off (they're mostly poor kids). It also helps if you and partner come in with guns. They'll be off like a shot.
From a town of 150k, I can guarantee you your job will by and large consist of patrolling and cooperating with the police, and checking houses whose alarms have been tripped or who you've received a call from.
>>
>>1091395

shit like that is scary as hell
>>
>>1091395
Dang, good story.
>>
>>1091328
This guy doesn't know anything except his theory and logic. I would get your information from someone who does the work you wish to do.

I'll tell you something, every country in the world needs security to protect rich people who are sitting ducks, whether Brazil or an African country. Insurance companies that assess threat and risk consider S. America worse than Afghanistan, for insuring employees, CEO and visiting businessman. Think about that when you hear someone randomly sum up a continent to say only locals are hired. Just not true. Most the time, the nationality of the person you are protecting is what is desired as well as locals. It provides balance and trust.

You should consider a few things for your future career. You should reserach the companies that might contract you, keep your certifications up, if any, from gun permits to CPR to your chosen martial art, to whatever you think looks good on a resume. Before going independant work for a contractor. Languages is good, not just to be fluent, but more an indication of your ability to cram and research and master something quickly. It screams initiative and intelligence. If you want to do security work specifically, don't sell yourself short. If you are intelligent, any other government contractor will be glad to train you, even send you to school if needed if you have security clearance already. It's your foot in the door. Keep your credit clean in the meantime, raise your savings, and lower your bills and expenses, so your ratio not to be approached for leaks is minimal. Is there something or someone you can volunteer for now that will give you connections? Always do more than the basic day job. Go play team sports. Get a bowling league. Play golf. Look like a real human that is stable.
>>
>>1091395
Fucking bus drivers.

The road between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur is a fucking billiard table. And yet, the bus drivers feel the need to crash every other week because they drive crazy close, tailgate, swerve, play on their fucking phones.
My cousin arrived at a crash site and got to decide who to try and save - the qualifying factor being whether or not their brains were splashed on the tarmac

Just slow down you retarded fucks
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.