[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /trv/ I'm planning on going to the Florida Keys in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: Florida.Keys.Map.jpg (187 KB, 1500x985) Image search: [Google]
Florida.Keys.Map.jpg
187 KB, 1500x985
Hey /trv/

I'm planning on going to the Florida Keys in a few months and wondering if anyone has some recommendations for a nature/beach bum vacation.

I'll probably be going for 5 days so I won't be there for long enough to go to all the keys but I can probably visit a couple. I can stay in a decent hotel for the entire time but I'd like to camp once or twice also.

I'm trying to do some hiking, take some nature photos and maybe get wasted and bone a chick back at the hotel a couple times.

Is there a specific area with a nice beach, a nice hike, and a decent night life nearby? My friend from Orlando will be meeting me so we'll have a car, too.
>>
>>1091110
The Keys don't have many beaches desu. It's loaded with mangroves though. Key Largo is a nice area to visit, and is a great place to go diving/snorkeling. The coral reefs off the coast are a must see, and there are many charters that can take you out there.

The Everglades are more fun than people would think.

Key West is your typical tourist hotspot, but there you many find some beaches, bitches, as well as good food. There is a strong Cuban influence in the focal food scene. Great Mojitos btw. Also, some of the best seafood I have ever had was while I was at at the Keys.

Dry Tortugas National Park, while hard to get to, is worth seeing. Fort Jefferson, a giant abandoned US military fortress is located at the park. Pic related.
>>
>>1091170
Thanks that all sounds great.

Do you recommend renting a car or can I wander about either w public transport or on foot?

Key west seems like a good place to do some drinking and beach lounging though I'm usually not one for touristy places. I def want to get into some snorkeling too, it's too bad the two keys you mentioned are on completely opposite sides of the islands.

I can get free hotel stay at a Marriott or Hilton, need to check to see where I can make home base first, I suppose.
>>
>>1091175
Were you planning on flying into Key West or Miami? I'm sure of Key West having big name hotels like Marriott and Hilton. There are many inexpensive options as far as lodging goes.

You can get around on Key West via foot, but if you plan on doing more I would suggest a car. I recall there being beaches just south of Islamadora.

There are reefs all over the Keys, so I'm sure you can find a charter close to where you are staying. Key Largo is just one of the more popular areas to snorkel.
>>
>>1091178
>Were you planning on flying into Key West or Miami?
I was thinking I'd fly to Miami, find a way to an upper/mid key (rent/bus), camp/snorkel/photography, and then make it to a Key West hotel and booze it up before flying out.

I've been looking at some campgrounds in the upper keys and they all seem very shitty desu... at least for tent camping. I really want to have some quiet nature days, though, and I don't think Key West would be a good place for that.
>>
>>1091110
Fly to Miami and drive through the Keys. Not only is it one of the most beautiful drives (pic related) but you can then stop wherever you want.

There are great seafood places to.stop for lunch throughout the keys, Islamorada having many. Bring a tube to Bahia Honda State Park and you can float in the greenest water you'll ever see. Like other anon said though, there arent many beaches in the keys and even Bahia Honda has a very narrow seaweedy shore.

Key West is the jewel to me, i absolutely love it there. I am not that into touristy spots but Key West has a very different vibe to it. Seven Fish is one of the best restaurants ive ever eaten at, period. Take a walk through the residential areas, grab a drink on duval street (lower duval for less obnoxiousness), go to fort zachary taylor for a sunset.

Making me want to plan another trip just talking about it.
>>
>>1091188
Miami to Key West seems to be the way to go

Just need to figure out Hilton or Marriott now.

I used to live in Orlando and it would rain from like 3-5pm every day in June, should I expect the same in the keys?
>>
>>1091321
>I used to live in Orlando and it would rain from like 3-5pm every day in June, should I expect the same in the keys?
It depends when you're going.
>>
>>1091337
Late May or June... looks like average rainfall is 3.5 and 5 inches, respectively

Oh well, hopefully the travels gods won't piss on me the whole time
>>
>>1091358
Afternoon rain in FL isnt that bit a deal. Plan around it and grab a cocktail somewhere.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.