[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Iceland General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
I've always wanted to go to Iceland. What are some tips you could give a first time traveller?
>airline
>points of interest
>food
>culture
>prostitutes
Etc.
>>
I'm planning to go to Iceland with my wife in september. We plan to rent a camper and drive the ring road
Is the weather so bad in september? we live in a tropical country, when it's 10ºC we are freezing... we got some thermal clothes
Is a week enough to drive the ring road?
Is it possible to see the northern lights in early september?
Is it illegal to park the camper on the side the road and sleep in there?

I'll be one week in Iceland, then another week in the Faroe Islands, it's a dream that soon will come true
>>
>>1089539
also this

https://guidetoiceland.is/best-of-iceland/best-attractions-by-the-ring-road-of-iceland
>>
>>1089539
>Is the weather so bad in september? we live in a tropical country, when it's 10ºC we are freezing... we got some thermal clothes
It can vary week to week. Technically it is shoulder/off season, but you might luck out before November hits. It might be beautiful clear sunny nicely cool 50F days, might be 100% chance of rain, or might be an early start to winter. You pack windproof rain protection, like a waterproof hoodie/shell, on a 3-in-1 but most of your jaunts to the waterfall from the parking lot will be short, very short, 100yards to see the geysirs.
>Is a week enough to drive the ring road?
Just right. But, it's a rush job. 10 days is better for all the natural pacing of it all. If you wish to anchor in Reykjavik and backtrack to it, you can do 2-3 days in either direction very easily, and you'd get to see the South, and the West, and then a day inland, for circle tour stuff.
>Is it possible to see the northern lights in early september?
Absolutely. It's predicted 3 days in advance (earths distance to the sun), and they simply monitor solar storms. The rest of it all is clouds. But, nothing like the horizon to horizon vista of seeing it. It'll be dark bout 10PM and it will be windy and cold. Like think sustained 30mph, so if you want great viewing, have layers.
>Is it illegal to park the camper on the side the road and sleep in there?
I don't honestly dont know. They have campgrounds in the West, but they might close at August end. Iceland kind of shuts down like buses and going out to the country at the beginning of school, and something like 90% of the people live in the city. The country hotels become dorms for schools again. Big switcharoo.
>>
>>1089539
went to Iceland in 2013 for a few days. amazing trip.

>I'm planning to go to Iceland with my wife in september. We plan to rent a camper and drive the ring road
we went from Reykjavík to Djúpivogur and back, not much time on the southern ring road. definitely worth it, though.

>Is the weather so bad in september? we live in a tropical country, when it's 10ºC we are freezing... we got some thermal clothes
no clue in September. we went in May I think. weather changed hour to hour. I'd pack for wind and cold, though.

>Is a week enough to drive the ring road?
not if you want to do it right.

>Is it possible to see the northern lights in early september?
check the news be be farther north

>Is it illegal to park the camper on the side the road and sleep in there?
can't help there. based on experiences in other countries, likely could be an issue, but I never saw authorities outside of Reykjavík

>I'll be one week in Iceland, then another week in the Faroe Islands, it's a dream that soon will come true
Faroe Islands is on my list. have fun!
>>
>>1089704
>>1089728

Thank you very much, anons. I will ask more questions later. meanwhile, is the blue lagoon overrated? any cheaper and less crowded alternative?

Thanks again
>>
>>1089539

One thing you should take serious: Iceland is EXPENSIVE. like really fucking expensive. You should be aware of that.

Weather in September could be anything. But it's probably going to be very windy, as always. A friend of me got really angry at the wind after some days when he was hiking.

Be sure to not leave the ring road then. Many other roads have 4x4-vehicle-only-signs and you can trust these roads might even be too much for a SUV.

Nothern Lights: Of course! Should be kind of a miracle if there are no lights for a week. However, they are not always glooming green and big, they also might be just white, cloud-like looking bands in the sky, which is not very impressing.
Check this out: http://services.swpc.noaa.gov/images/aurora-forecast-northern-hemisphere.png

Park at the side of the road? You should rather find a parking space somewhere, I think it's not illegal, I don't know tough. But since camping with a tent is allowed, it should be okay for campers, too
>>
>>1089944
Thanks for the tips, anon. I'm staying only a week because of the money.

I'll bump with two questions:

- Is the blue lagoon overrated?
- Where can I buy a icelandic (not chinese-made, nor gift shop-from) Lopapeysa?
>>
>>1091112
>a icelandic
An Icelandic *

Sorry about my english
>>
>>1089938
>is the blue lagoon overrated? any cheaper and less crowded alternative?
It's not overrated. It's pretty unique. I haven't gone in the peak of summer, so no idea if it ever gets too crowded.
My tips: Plan ahead, and book your reservation for a water massage, or you'd be disappointed they don't have appts left. It's not required though to have a nice time. Private cabana is not needed unless you require some couples experience, locker rooms are lovely. Rent the robe, it is windy, and your towel is not that large for drying off and the hair both. With your traveling companion buy the different face mask, as it is splittable and generous. Swim up to the bar, get your mud one first, then after a long float, rinse off and get your moisturizing algae one with all the healing, and get a double treatment from the price of one package each. (Free silica mud can do the neck and shoulders if you wish. I'd bring shower/water flip flops or shoes, such as crocs, for the short trek from the locker room to the showers, and then out to the edge of the water, as well as to walk around in the solarium for a nap in one of the awesome anti-gravity loungers,or to wear when getting a little snack (black licorice dipped ice cream bar is a to die for). I'd also bring hair conditioner, or detangling spray, or else something to tie up the hair if long. Mineral-rich water tends to require a little help with the comb later. There is a lovely rooftop catwalk with a view for taking pictures after you're all dressed and done with the experience. I also recommend going twice, coming and going from the airport!

The second best? Probably Fontana Laugarvatn, which has a less than perfect pool (shallow) but nice view of the lake, great natural steam rooms, and two temperature dips. It's nice as a spa, but not anything like the lake of milky water at Blue Lagoon. There's an interesting algae pool near Budir, but all towns have a pool. Go daily.
>>
>>1091112
>- Where can I buy a icelandic (not chinese-made, nor gift shop-from) Lopapeysa?
There are many sources of "made in iceland" featured shops downtown in Reykjavik, but if you were concerned about prices, and had a car, might try your luck over at the mall, or maybe even a closeout sale on a website. But, keep in mind its got to be tagged 100% icelandic wool (lopi), not merino or a mix, or it's not the real deal with the amazing qualities of water resistance and insulating spun style. If you don't live in a cold climate, or don't intend to use it as an outer layer, maybe you wouldn't care about merino (which is softer) and found everywhere just as much in the shops because of that, esp for scarves.
>>
>>1089704
Wtf does earths distance has to do with it? We're not a fucking jojo. It's all magnetics.
>>
Sober friday bump
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.