[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Melbourne
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Melbourne_by_night.jpg (952 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
Melbourne_by_night.jpg
952 KB, 1600x1067
Any recommendations for a few days in Melbourne? I'm from Sydney and am looking to experience the nightlife and culture with a few mates.

Looking for good accommodation (anything from a good hostel to a cheap hotel) and for things to do at this stage, as well as some recommended bars/clubs we should check out.

Thanks for your help.
>>
>>1090987
Not so sure about accommodation, but I can give some recommendations for nice/comfy bars and pubs.

CBD: Loop Roof and Rooftop Bar are nice outdoor places. New Amsterdam, Workshop and E Fifty Five are cool and quiet bars. I hate clubs, but the Colonial Hotel usually has something happening on a Friday or Saturday night.

Collingwood: Good streets for bar-hopping are Brunswick St, Gertrude St and Smith St. Gertrude has my all-time favourites Catfish and the Workers Club; both have good music. Naked for Satan and Bar Open are fun on Brunswick. The Tote is supposedly the be-all, end-all of Melbourne pubs, but I've only been there for gigs. It'a alright. When I can conquer my crippling self-hatred to go outside, I usually go to Collingwood.

Other places: There are a few good pubs around Queen Vic Market; the Crimea, Prudence and the Drunken Poet. Getting the tram up from Queen Vic eventually gets you to Sydney Rd, which is another nice area for bar hopping.

Now it's time for me to sit back and be called a hipster cunt by the rest of Melbourne /trv/.
>>
>>1090996
And in terms of things to do, checking out the above areas in the day could be a nice outing; they all have their complements of interesting little shops and cafes. Carlton Gardens are right next to the CBD and Collingwood, and have the Exhibition Building (which you usually can't get into unless there's a convention) and the Museum.

The Art Galleries in the CBD are free; I enjoy going to them occasionally, but, y'know, it's art n shit.

Just wander around.
>>
>>1090996
>>1090998
Thanks mate, we'll check those out
>>
>>1090987
I stayed in collingwood backpackers for a month and really liked it for the most part. You can smoke inside which might be annoying if you're not a smoker. Plenty of good drinking in collingwood as the other anons have pointed out. Might be worth a run down to st.kilda with it being st. patrick's day lots of disgruntled irish down there.
>>
>>1090987
What kind of nightlife are you in to? >>1090996 covered it pretty well in terms of bars. The Tote is the best live music venue, the Grace Darling, Gasometer and The John Curtin are all pretty good for bands as well. For clubbing, Revolver is the obvious choice. I'm not the biggest fan, especially Friday and Saturday night but Sunday during the day is a unique experience. The best club in Melbourne is probably Lounge; The Mercat deserves a mention as well.
>>
>>1090996
>Now it's time for me to sit back and be called a hipster cunt by the rest of Melbourne /trv/.

Na, that was some really solid advice.

I came to this thread expecting to see some of the shittest recommendations of all time. You did good.

I'm actually curious. What do you do? I find it very hard to meet people who share similar interests to me, but are also well cultured with good taste and not disgusting degenerates.
>>
>>1091317
I'm trying to find work as an English teacher, but I have no experience and don't especially want 1 lesson a week casual work. So I'm looking to move overseas - at the moment, Moscow (!!!)

Before that [spoiler]I was trying to do a PhD, but fuck that.[spoiler] Anyway, /blog.
>>
>>1091536
Nice! Good luck with your life!
>>
>>1090996
>>1090998
What's a good neighbourhood in Melbourne to live in for 6 months? Somewhere where the rent won't completely kill me but it's not too far to get to an interesting area.
>>
>>1091755
It's possible to get an inner city place, like in Carlton, Collingwood, Northcote and Brunswick, if you're lucky. You can get an apartment for yourself in these areas, but you'd have to work nearly 24/7 to afford it. Much better is to move into a sharehouse there; but it's all luck-dependent.

Places outside the inner city for cheap rents are Oakleigh, Clayton, Olympic Park, Hawthorne (for apartments), Blackburn and Box Hill, Ringwood, Preston, Coburg, etc. These are good/safe areas in the East and the North close to public transport. I don't know anything about the West, but I've had no desire to move there. Don't go to Frankston or Cranbourne; rents there are cheap, but they're nowhere near the city, and they have a dodgy reputation.
>>
>>1091790
I should say, I would have to work all the time on my shitty wages to afford inner city rents - it might be a cinch for you.
>>
>>1090996
>The Tote is supposedly the be-all, end-all of Melbourne pubs, but I've only been there for gigs. It'a alright
>I'm a hipster cunt

It used to be, punks I know say that it's a shadow of its former self and sold out now.

It's still probably one of the better ones.

OP, maybe check out The Arthouse in Footscray, it's got a good rep for live music and it used to be a really famous punk hotel in the CBD until it moved.

>>1091755
>What's a good neighbourhood in Melbourne to live in for 6 months? Somewhere where the rent won't completely kill me but it's not too far to get to an interesting area.
See if you can find a sharehouse in Footscray.
Footscray is close-ish to the CBD, good transport links. Great Vietnamese restaurants and grocers everywhere, also a lot of Ethiopian ones too which my friends really like. A few weird things like mexican and stuff. The Vietnamese grocers are great for cheap vegetables etc. And it has a lot of pubs and several of those are live music venues.

In general, it's a cheap suburb except for rent which is getting expensive but there are still a lot of old, cheap sharehouses around. Check gumtree.
>>
Do Luna Park on the coast in St. Kilda. It's one of the best-preserved historical amusement parks in the world.
>>
>>1091912

oh fuck off with your shitty food culture faggotry die in an oven you shit eating kike
>>
>>1091790
Cool, thanks, I'll have a look in the next few months at the areas on the map. I believe I will be in Melbourne in November and would like to stay at least until the end of March. I doubt I will want to pay inner city prices but at the same time don't want to be too far from places like Carlton and Collingwood. I'll look at share houses for sure.

>>1091912
While I don't know much about Melbourne yet, all I hear about Footscray is how bad it is. Is that still true or is it just an area with a bad rep these days?
>>
>>1092136
>While I don't know much about Melbourne yet, all I hear about Footscray is how bad it is. Is that still true or is it just an area with a bad rep these days?
It's not still true. It was true a decade ago but even then there were just bad parts of it.

These days, it's well and truly gentrified.
>>
>>1091950
>oh fuck off with your shitty food culture faggotry die in an oven you shit eating kike
You sound a little butt flustered. At the same time, you're not sounding like a Melburnian.

Are you a yank that doesn't know good food or an idiot that learnt all their culture from /b/?
>>
>>1092162
He probably just grew up in Frankston.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.