[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
amerifat going to europe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: roosevelt.jpg (13 KB, 210x210) Image search: [Google]
roosevelt.jpg
13 KB, 210x210
Hi, /trv/ been lurking here for a few weeks.

onto dis shit mane

I'm 20 years old and from America. Going to Europe this summer, most likely leaving early June, coming back whenever I go broke (4k-5k budget including flights, already have bag and shit tho) most likely july tho. Any suggestions on what to do? I would want to start in Dublin, where my ancestors are from, despite non of us ever going back since like 1830 to my knowledge. And then work my way through Scotland and the rest of the UK. Fly to Germany and then IDK. I love church history, art, music (mainly drum and bass, heard its good AF over there), and of course, drinking.

Any suggestions?
>>
File: subl.jpg (22 KB, 414x270) Image search: [Google]
subl.jpg
22 KB, 414x270
>>1088700
I cant hold all of the American memes.
>>
Interesting thing about that TR photo...it's staged. The hunting knife, for instance, has a carved silver handle from Tiffany's (he was from a rich family). Eventually, he did become a great outdoorsman, but not when this pc was taken.
>>
>>1088700
If you tell an Irishman that bit about your ancestors they will laugh you out of the pub. Don't.

Definitely check out Fabric in London, despite its legendary history and fame, it remains beautifully dodgy, sketchy and run down, which is amazing because there is more DnB/dubstep history in that cramped, sweaty space than anywhere else on earth. Good array of drugs, too. Ministry of sound is the gigantic megaplex you'd think it would be, certainly lives up to the hype if a bit overwhelming, brixton (o2) academy is one of the nicest large venues in the world imo, if a big name is in town check that out.

Other than that, I won't rag on ya too much over the Yankee stereotypes, after all, traveling is the best way to grow out of those..
>>
File: P7036097.jpg (84 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
P7036097.jpg
84 KB, 700x525
Check out all the historic steam train rides in England (it's like the the best thing they do, even better than alcohol).

Great Central Railway in Loughborough near Leicester in the middle is one of the bigger ones, and is the only stretch of historic railway in the UK that used to be a mainline (it has two parallel tracks and steam trains pass by each other at 60 mph routinely). Also, they serve beer on these trains, so you can chug while you "chug."
>>
>>1088716
>If you tell an Irishman that bit about your ancestors they will laugh you out of the pub. Don't.

well aware but thanks for the headsup

I'll try to remember to tell them i'm the reason that we won WW2
>>
>>1088700
Irishman here, they won't laugh you out if you just say that your ancestors came from Ireland and you fancied checking it out, just don't claim to be Irish.

General tip for travelling around Europe as an American would be don't be too loud and crass.

Europeans will try to take advantage of you as Americans are in my experience quite generous.

In UK and Ireland you pay for your drinks at the bar, whilst in the rest of Europe generally you run a tab.

Tipping is not necessary but is appreciated, if you are feeling generous just round your bills up to the nearest € or £. Tipping in restaurants is largely dependent upon how well they treat you.

Dublin is horrendously expensive, I would recommend travelling Dublin, Belfast (if you get a chance go to Galway or Donegal for a more traditional "Irish" experience), fly to Edinburgh then travel south through York and across to Manchester and into London. (I currently live in Birmingham whilst it's an alright city I don't think it ticks many of your boxes).

Grab the train to Paris moving onto Belgium to visit Brussels & Bruges. From here cut into Amsterdam (take care here as lots of hookers, drugs and thugs trying to relieve you of your hard earned). Onto Berlin (still the best party city I've ever been to but not a lot of ancient history because ... Well you know), Munich is great for beers. Possibly onto Zurich if you fancy Switzerland and the mountains but it is very expensive. Then into Italy to visit Florence and Rome. You could always leave it here or travel to Athens for some seaside type holiday before heading home.

Just what I would recommend for a linear trip you could also fly from England into Spain and work your way across that way. Rail is probably the easiest way to travel across Western Europe. Loads of other great cities and countries to visit and Scandanavia is amazing if you get the opportunity.

Let me know if you hve any questions or require specifics, all the best.
>>
>>1088716
Gotta agree with anon, do Fabric.

And if you make your way to Croatia, do the Outlook festival in August, which is mainly focused on dnb.

I'm going to Dimensions, which is run by the same crew about a week after. They have dnb too but also some good techno, jazz and other good electronica.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyIhF8MUuqg
>>
If you like a drink, stay away from scandinavia. It costs something like £250 for a beer. Fucking killjoys.
>>
>>1088885
Realistically it's 5-9 USD per pint at the bar in Sweden, 8-12 USD in Norway, 4-6 in Finland, and 3-7 in Denmark. So not killer, but not cheap either.
>>
>>1088907
Helsinki is not $4-6 I was there around a year ago and it was around €10 per 500ml other than that a great place though
>>
>>1088720
theres another good one of these on the isle of wight, which is interesting for a whole bunch of reasons, great pubs in the port towns
>>
>>1088700
belgium has a lot of DNB parties
also belgium and netherlands , good a very good Hardcore/terror scene , which is fun to experience if you are not used to it .

Otherwise - go to east block countries , they are cheap , way more beautifull and hotter girls
europe is general shit man
>>
>>1088998
If that was regular lager the place you went was outrageously expensive
>>
>>1088700
You should definitely get an interrail ticket. Trains in europe are clean, fast and efficient. From germany, you can go either east or west.

West meaning spain/italy/france and everything on the way, better weather, more touristy but beautiful.

East is great as well, slightly less touristy, also some great beaches along the adriatic. Really great cities like Budapest, Prague, Dubrovnik (gets crowded).

desu the best thing to do would be to just get an interrail ticket and hop on and off wherever you want, just really get lost. See some big cities, see some small villages. Eat fresh french pastries from a boulangerie in a small town, go to a dirty nightclub in Budapest, see some crazy churches in Italy.

It would take you a lifetime to explore europe, so just enjoy whatever is wherever you are
>>
>>1089274
Don't look to inter-rail in Ireland though there's like 1 train line between Belfast and Dublin.
>>
>>1089559
Not true, you can go to
>Cork
by train.
>>
>>1089563
Well I'll be damned will wonders never cease.
>>
>>1089563
You can go from most ''big'' cities in Ireland to Dublin by train but ig you want to go from one city to another on train then you nearly always have to go through dublin first
>>
>>1088806

>
Irishman here, they won't laugh you out if you just say that your ancestors came from Ireland and you fancied checking it out, just don't claim to be Irish.

but but but i've seen Flogging Molly twice
>>
>>1089237
I'm OP, idk why it's not showing up. Belgium is on my list for DnB, and i'm aware of it in Eastern Europe. A friend of mine from Ukraine actually got me into DnB hahaha.

>>1089274

Honestly this is what i'm planning on doing. Going by myself so i'll do whatever the fuck I want.
>>
>>1088825
>Outlook festival

lineup looks amazing, Lex Luger is playing. He's fallen off but he made so many high school weightroom classics. He's a true hero of Virginia. I'd bring my state flag if I went (which I cant due to commitments) but fuuuuk
>>
>>1088700
OP Here

bought a plane ticket to Dublin, flying in May 30, Flying back from Germany July 15th

how much eurorail should I buy?
>>
>>1090936
Wait are you seriously saying that nigger trash ooga booga trash is even "music"? Honestly with the rich history of Virginia you could pick any number of country western artists born with roots as deep as the pines of Virginia, but you choose this unintelligible niggerbabble. Why dont you just road trip to Africa or prison if you want shit like lex luger
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.