[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Luggage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Luggage, /trv/

Hard-shell or soft? Favourite brands, features you've learned to love/hate? Any recommendations?

AKA I need to get new luggage for the first time in years and have no idea what to buy. Mostly fairly short city-based work trips with the occasional, longer jaunt in random places where bulky suitcases may or may not be practical.
>>
>>1089532
So you will be fine with a carry-on right?
Rule of thumb: about 200€ get you a very decent product and 450€ is the upper limit.

There're roughly 4 categories of it:
>Super budget discounter for 10-100€
You use them, they will break down, you buy a new one no fucks given
>the middle class, 150-250€.
Bit lighter, better quality, will last about 5-10 years if something breaks down it's usually covered by warranty and worth to get it replaced
>the upper class, 300-450€
Again lighter, tougher and better quality. Will last at least 10 years. Something breaks, they repair or replace it.
>The luxury carry on 600-?????€
You just pay for a design, they can be as low quality as a super budget one or a more styled upper class product.

From 150-450€ you get what you pay for, more money means lighter weight, better materials, more comfort, more luggage room etc. after that you won't gain anything practical worth it.

Hard or soft, 2 or 4 wheels etc, are pure preference, for me it's hard and 4 wheels but there's nothing wrong with a soft 2 wheeled.

Go to the next department store with a good luggage section and take a look at the upper middle Delsey and lower upper class Samsonite products. There're other awesome companies but those two are pretty good benchmarks what you should get for your money, the rest are design preferences.

For the next larger checked bags category, just add about 100€ to the price celling.
>>
>>1089581
A carry-on will probably cover two-thirds of my trips, though I'll probably also want something larger as well.

Anyone use an aluminium Rimowa (or other aluminium luggage)? I'm rather taken by how they look but that'll mean fuck all if the price/performance ratio sucks.
>>
>>1089730
I absolutely love the Rimowa aluminium design but they're really heavy
At least for carry-on a concern, as the usual cap is at 8kg.

The cabine trolly weights 3.7kg empty with 35L, so you can realistically only pack 4.3kg into them before a lot of airlines will no longer allow it as carry-on.
The Samsonite light shock offers you the same for about 80€ less, weights only 1.7kg empty (so 6.3kg for your stuff) and 36l volume. Downside not so /fa/ and a bit less durable.
>>
>>1089950
and got it wrong the cabin trolly is only 3kg, so 5kg to load.

>why do I know this stuff?
Had to replace my entire travel luggage 3 weeks ago even great luggage can't take a flooded cellar.
>>
Samsonite on a sale is what I usually go for.
Got the 55 cm hardcase spinner for business trips and a big ass (75?; not sure) suitcase for longer assignments abroad.

Especially the big one I've loaded to 33 kg or so multiple times and it holds up well still.
>>
>>1089957
I was actually considering American Tourister but they only had zippered cabin trolleys.
I don't trust zippers on a suitcase to be honest.
>>
I prefer if you have a hard-case bag with four wheels and handle both on the side and top. Backpacks are also fine.

greetings from airport baggage handling
>>
>>1089959
Why, did you have a zipper fail mid-trip?
>>1090066
Hello, airport baggage handling. Ever seen someone's luggage fail spectacularly?
>>
I haven't developed a preference for hard vs soft shell. But 4 wheels is sublime. Being able to have the luggage to roll next to you in tight spots instead of dragging is way better.

I also have a preference for bright obnoxious colored luggage. This way it stands out if I decide to check it in or if it gets lost.
>>
>>1090273
>>1090066
can't quite speak for airport baggage handling, but hello from former bellman for large (~50 people) tour groups. the hardsided samsonite suitcases w 4 swivel wheels are the best.

not quite a total failure on the part of the luggage, but once i had 14 of those samsonite suitcases stacked up on a cart and tipped it over in front of the entire tour group. they still paid me $4 a bag, they just didn't know it. bellman tips are in the group sales contracts. most lucrative job i've ever had
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.