[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Backpacks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: stratos50_side_anthraciteblack.jpg (41 KB, 570x760) Image search: [Google]
stratos50_side_anthraciteblack.jpg
41 KB, 570x760
What backpack does /trv/ use?

I'm looking at getting this: http://www.ospreypacks.com/au/en/product/stratos-50-STRATOS50_532.html
>>
Bumping for interest.

I'm also looking at what pack I should buy for 4 weeks in SEA. So far my favorite is:

http://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/product/farpoint-55-FARPNT55_526.html
>>
Have a look on /out/. If you can ignore the gearfaggotry they actually know what to look for in a backpack.

I've got the Osprey Kestrel 48 as an overnight/3 day hiking pack, the quality is top notch so I'd recommend anything by Osprey. Just make sure you try it on before you buy, some of them have fitted back 'plates' which means you have to wear it slightly higher on your back. Not a problem though, it just caught me by surprise.
>>
The Stratos 50 looks good.
The Farpoint 55 looks horrible and a waste of money.

What you want to look in a good backpack for high load is a nice cushioned shoulder strap and a waist band.

The ATMOS AG looks even better than the Stratos but it's more expensive.
The EXOS is another option that's a bit cheaper but doesn't look that inferior to the ATMOS (still more expensive than the STRATOS).

The best option is for you to go to a physical store and try the backpack to see how well it adjusts to your body and how well cushioned the areas that will stay constantly in contact with your body are (mainly shoulders, back and waist).
Also, consider well how big of a backpack you really need.
50L is really big and it won't be easy to carry it around with you all the time. And I think most airlines will make you check-in a bag that big.
>>
I've got an Osprey Farpoint 40L that got me round Indonesia comfortably for a month
>>
Forgot to add.

Chose the smallest backpack you can afford to take.
The larger the backpack, the more useless shit you'll carry and the worst it'll be to your comfort.
Believe in me, you'll always try to fill the whole backpack, regardless of how big it is.
>>
>>1088799
>>1088803
Thanks anon. Sound advice, especially the last bit. I appreciate your help!
>>
Whats wrong with the farpoint 55? I havnt had the chance to actually use mine yet since the trip to europe i bought it for isnt until august; but when i filled it with clothes and supplies, it felt pretty comfy and sturdy.

Not really seeing any justification for thr hate lol.
>>
>>1088779

Osprey Porter 46, very happy with it. Used it for a year or so now.
>>
I recently replaced my beat to shit old army pack with a gregory Z30. It's smaller at 30 liters of space but I pack lighter than normal and it also lets me take the bag as carry-on. I really like how it's frame keeps the pack off your back, so there's a gap for air to flow through and keep your back from getting sweaty after long distances. Got it for like 140 bucks at REI and I really like it. The green and orange color scheme is aesthetic as fuark too if you care about such things.
>>
>>1088799
>>1088845
They're obviously for very different purposes.
In all likelihood, most of /trv/ aren't extreme weather travellers and will probably spend more time in hostels where the extra cost from all the bonus features isn't really justified
>>
Go to a store and try them on, preferably somewhere that really knows how to judge the sizing and tell you if it fits right (e.g. an outdoor store)

I'm getting to the end of 4 months in SEA now, and I started with the farpoint 55, but ended up swapping it for the waypoint 65 for more space and the rigid sides. Couldn't be happier for this one.

A hiking type backpack is a bad idea for SEA. You won't have the thing on your back all that much. One that opens like a suitcase is preferable.
>>
>>1088852

Even so, im not getting where the "horrible, not worth the money" part comes in. They are only about 20$ difference in price and have basically the same features, with the stratos seemingly more geared towards camping/outdoor use since it has a built in rain cover. The farpoint is also technically smaller, but with the daypack (its available as just the 40L mainpack or as the 55L which is the 40L+15L daypack) it has slightly more room.

I suppose im kind of busting chops at this point, but calling a perfectly good bag horrible and a waste of money is wildly innacurate, especially when comparing to a similar bag by the same manufacturer.
>>
I'm in need of buying a backpack before September. I have my eye on the Kelty Redwing 50. It looks like a good hiking/backpacking backpack which opens up almost like a clamshell and lets you get to the things on the bottom. It's recommended by a few travel bloggers as well. It looks like a great budget backpack.

Only issue is that I haven't tried it on yet, I must head over to REI one of these days and try it on, then wait for a promotion on it. I think it's possible to get these for around $70-80.
>>
>>1088912
I actually looked into that bag as well. I went into REI and they had both the older version and the new 2016 version in stock. Personally, I hated the material on the new one, it felt so cheap. The older one was a thicker material that felt like it could hold up better.

The reason I didn't personally buy it was because there is no way to lock the zippers. If that isn't a problem for you, you will probably love the bag.
>>
>>1088917
Were you looking at locking it for flights when you have to check it in or just in general? I don't usually lock my backpack as it's super easy to open most with just a pen anyways. Which one did you go with instead?
>>
How's the Karrimor Hydro 30 Litre Rucksack?

Will this fit in the plane's cabin.
Is it enough for clothes for 3 weeks, tablet, dslr, tripod and some gifts?
>>
Decurs Aircontat 65 +10

amazingly breathable, super comfertable, can find them around £100 atm
>>
>>1088912
This one looks real good, anon. I'm considering this as well, but we don't have REI here in Australia. Reckon it'd be good to purchase online through their site?

https://www.rei.com/product/895781/kelty-redwing-50-pack
>>
>>1089076
You can get a better deal if you buy it off Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B00AAU281Y/3/ref=ask_ql_psf_ql_hza

I wish this one was a little cheaper, might be the best looking backpack I've ever seen:

https://www.kelty.com/product/redwing-50-reserve
>>
>>1088922
Looking to lock it in general. I'm backpacking SEA for a month and just want to make sure my stuff is safe from pickpocks etc.

I have yet to purchase one, but I'm heavily leaning towards the Osprey Farpoint 55. It's a little too large to be considered a carry on, but most people say if you unzip the attached daypack 99% of time you can get away with it.

Would still consider the Kelty if someone has found a way to lock it reliably.

I realize if someone really wants in they can just cut it, but I just want to be protected from the thieves who are trying to take advantage while I may not be 100% alert which is bound to happen at some point.
>>
>>1089123
Have you traveled much before? It's really unlikely that you'll be in a position where your bag will be opened by someone unless you plan on leaving the backpack somewhere for a long time.
>>
>>1089125
Yes but I have never been to SEA nor done a backpacking trip. Only place I plan to leave it is at hostels but from what I understand most have lockers so shouldn't be a problem there.

Riding on a packed bus or train is one of my main concerns, specially because I plan to sleep on some of them. As well as just walking around crowded streets when I'm moving to a new city etc. I know pickpocking can be pretty bad over there, so I was worried someone might just unzip and grab without me even noticing

>>1089084
Just noticed the Redwing 50 Reserve webpage says Locking Zippers, although they look the same in the pictures. Anyone with this bag comment on if it has locking zippers? Can't find a youtube review or anything
>>
>>1089123
Get the 40, it's the same capacity as the 55 without the daypack but it has more zipped compartments and is carry-on compliant. For some reason the 55 sans daypack is slightly too big for standard carry-on limits despite the fact it's still only 40L capacity inside.
>>
>>1089137
Cool thanks for the advice anon
>>
>>1089126
In general most people won't be trying to pickpocket your backpack. I don't know about you but I travel with 2 backpacks, 1 smaller backpack that I carry all my electronics in and the big pack that I carry my clothes and everything else in. I don't worry about the bigger one because there's nothing of value they could steal from there. Yeah it would suck if they took all my clothes but I could just replace all that locally. All my valuables are always close to me in another backpack.

Also, yeah the reserve looks like it has some cool features but I can't find any details on the backpack anywhere. If you or anyone in this thread goes for that one order it from B&H as they give a free water bottle with it. It's better than nothing.
>>
>>1088803
>>1088834
/out/ here. This is true. The rule is, the first time you go backpacking bring everything you think you'll need. The second time you go, you'll leave half of it at home because you don't need it. Osprey and Deuter make great packs but can be pricey. Try Kelty or even REI's brand if you're looking to save some money.
>>
>>1089280
Cool thanks for the advice. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I do plan to carry a daypack as well so makes sense to keep my valuables in that.

I don't remember ever seeing the reserve last time I checked their website which makes me think this might be a super new pack. Thanks again for the advice!
>>
>>1088779
Not a bad bag, OP. Considering it.

>go to their website
>it's created by a retard

next brand
>>
>>1088898
Take a breather, you're on 4chan, continue with your life.

Some things just don't have a logical conclusion and you'll go mad trying to draw one as such.
>>
I have a Kelty Redwing 44 liter. It's perfect because it's the largest size you can use as a carry on bag, saving you tons of money and hassle (possibly lost luggage, too).

I've used it traveling in South America for the last three months and loved it.
>>
File: mis1918_6744_2.jpg (65 KB, 658x658) Image search: [Google]
mis1918_6744_2.jpg
65 KB, 658x658
I've a Millet Ubic 50+10L. It's very useful.
>>
>>1089056
Deuter is my best friend :')
>>
>>1089939
and you obviously don't need to stuff it so hard. It's incredibly adaptable and also comfortable if you have to carry 25kg. You shouldn't do that, however.
>>
>>1089056
>>1089939
I have the 55 +10
>>
>>1089941
> comfortable if you have to carry 25kg
> You shouldn't do that, however.

That seems like a contradiction. Why shouldn't one?
>>
>>1090060
This was meant to say that backpacking, like really travelling, with 25kg is kind of insane because it's making the journey complicated and will be very tiresome. When I was in the alps I just had 10kg in it.

However, when my SEA trip was almost over, I bought a lot of souvenirs and stuff in Bangkok so that the backpack was 28kg or something and it was still kind of comfortable to carry for those 1 or 2 days. But would have been hell for several weeks, obviously.

Also, with a cheap backpack there is the serious risk that it might simply not support a weight like 28kg, especially when you lift it up yanking at one strap, the strap could rip off. And would be a shame in the middle of the trip, right?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.