[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Never been hiking, or by myself in another country before
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 1450830525796[1].jpg (422 KB, 1888x814) Image search: [Google]
1450830525796[1].jpg
422 KB, 1888x814
Where do I start? I wanna hear from you.
>>
Hiking? /out/. Bring more water than you think, either sneaks or boots depending on terrain, bring food. Make sure the boots are pre-broken in. An extra pair of socks never hurts.
>>
>>1089327
Where do you live? Pretty much every continent has a great location to do some hiking. I suggest starting locally (in your country if you can or a nearby one).

Don't invest a lot into gear until you're really into it, there's a lot of douches who wear $1000 outdoorsy jackets in my city who have never been outside of the city proper. I do recommend getting a good pair of hiking shoes or boots (depending where you want to go hiking). You can get those for $100.

If you want to do pic related you'll have to go to Hobbiton village in New Zealand.
>>
>>1089345
Most laughable and overpriced tourist trap in the whole country, and that's saying something, considering they invented zorbing.
>>
File: 1419250451816.png (286 KB, 500x497) Image search: [Google]
1419250451816.png
286 KB, 500x497
>>1089348
>tfw going there at the end of the month

I just wanted to see a hobbit hole
>>
>>1089348
Yeah, what's wrong with it? >>1089351 I'm also thinking of going when I go to NZ in October.
>>
>>1089351
>>1089354
There's nothing wrong with it, it's great. the laughable part is the price tag. But hey, if LOTR means more to you than it does to me, go have a blast.
You DO get a free pint at the Green Dragon
>>
>>1089327
There's something about this picture that makes me restless
>>
>>1089327

Where do you live. Find your nearest national park and just go when you have a few days off. Spend a day out on trails and take pictures of trail signs so that you don't get lost. Spent 12 hours out one day in Acadian Nat'l Park last October, so relaxing.
>>
>>1089351
Don't worry mate, I've been there and it's fucking magical.
>>
File: out.png (4 MB, 1198x2539) Image search: [Google]
out.png
4 MB, 1198x2539
>>1089327
I can support this guy >>1089345 .
Start it easy with a few essentials, especially when you start on your own. If you have a friend to take you on a trip with him use that chance and learn a bit from him/her.

'Real' hiking gear is pretty expensive so you should just stick with basics or cheap things at first, you'll see what you value enough to invest more in.

Pic related is what I carry around (not all of it always, depending on the trip. Took me a lot of time and money so don't see it as a 'must-have-list', but maybe it is an inspiration on what you might need.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.