[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Australia m8
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Trying to plan a trip to Australia and came upon a lot of comparisons between Melbourne and Sydney with Sydney being the more popular one. Anyone able to refute this, even with a different location and help me out?
>>
>>1088505

>inb4 angry Australians arguing that their city is better

I found that Sydney seems to be more popular the older you get, both my parents and grandparents have been to Australia too, my grandparents much preferred Sydney, my parents preferred Melbourne by a little bit, and i personally liked Melbourne way, way more.

Sydney has the big sights, Harbor bridge, Opera House, that big tower thing, close surf beaches, monorail, the harbour ect. I found what Sydney was missing was a vibe, it was very business orientated, the city center (around the bridge and the opera house) was pretty bland, public transport pretty shit, choices of hotels very expensive and personally beyond the big attractions there wasn't that much to do. I think thats why older people like it more, they just want to see nice things and dont care so much about the rest of it and they have the money to pay for what they want.

While Melbourne has less of the big sights, i found there was way more to explore, the number of misc alleys and tiny malls was great, very interesting food and coffee culture, pretty good public transport (one thing that bugged me about sydney was the amount of buses in the city center). Also i found the nightlife in Melbourne to be way better, not sure why particularly, but venues seemed better and there was no shitty lockout laws. Also as a Sailor, Melbourne bay actually is great for sailing because its pretty big but the sea conditions are nothing like open water that you get beyond sydney harbour.

My review is probably shit, i expect someone to give a better summary, but personally, i liked Melbourne better because i thought although it lacked the big sights, it actually had way more to see and do and wasn't just another big business city.
>>
>>1088509
How was the weather in Melbourne during your stay?
>>
>>1088509
I studied abroad in Melbourne and I second this post, anon nailed it.

Melbourne has so many cool restaurants, suburbs, sights etc. not quite as big ticket or recognizable as Sydney but I liked it way better there.

Sydney is fine too if you decide, it's not shit that's just what I recommend.
>>
Well, each one has an amusement park named Luna Park (unaffiliated), and the one in Melbourne is superior. Melbourne is kind of like the the snobby, more-refined version of Sydney. Quality or quantity, etc.
>>
>>1088525

Alright, i went in their summer (February) and it was pretty hot, temperatures were between 25c and 41c (I'd never been in that heat before, it was crazy) with the average being around 30 probably. Doesn't seem to be much rain, in the 2 weeks i was there there was one big storm that came through and then one tiny little sprinkle, most of the time its pretty sunny with blue skys.

Though everyone that lives there complains about their weather being notoriously unreliable, people were telling me it can be 38c one day but only 19 the next.
>>
>>1088745
I plan on going for about a week or so in April or May, anything you'd recommend as a must?
>>
Was in Melbourne for two weeks in January and it struck me as a nicely designed city with interesting culture and an enjoyable climate.

In 14 days there was only one that was even slightly cold, one was uncomfortably hot at 46c and the rest were comfy low 30s high 20s. It's a lot different from tropical heat though, much less humid.

I've only been to Sydney briefly with family when I was like 7 so can't make any comparisons sorry.
Make use of trams, explore different ethnic streets and eateries, a few pretty older buildings there if your interested in that. Victoria Street Market is quite large and very popular. Definitely spend some time in St. Kilda.

Also I don't know where your from or what your skin is like but I'd recommend sunscreen because my whole back and shoulders peeled during my stay.
>>
>>1088752
>April to May
Well, you won't have to worry about it being too hot
>>
im australian and i dont really like melbourne or sydney desu. sydney is good to visit for tourist destinations, but melbourne is boring as fuck unless you like getting smashed every night and shopping.

if youre in australia visit sydney briefly, visit the gold coast and the great barrier reef and then fuck off to alice springs and kakadu and do cool shit thats unique to australia. you can browse ralph lauren and drink starbucks anywhere.
>>
It all depends on what people like...what time of the year are you planning and where are you from? Perth would probably be a good starting point and then you could go up or down the coast. There are always tourists with cars or vans looking for passengers etc and that way it becomes cheaper in fuel.
>>
>>1089168
This.

I'm Australian (not from Sydney) and I just got back from Sydney on Tuesday for holiday.

What do you like OP?

If you're a party animal, Sydney has a lock out law where you can't get into any bar or club after 1:30am, so everything effectively shuts down at this time. I think Sydney has great beaches and the people are friendly, it has all the big sights to.

Melbourne has a better bar and food scene than Sydney, although I found food in Sydney to be pretty good. The weather isn't as good in Melbourne and the beaches suck.

If you're into theme parks and partying the Gold Coast will be good for that, they have some good beaches to up there and if you're interested in snorkelling or anything there is the great barrier reef.

On the west coast Perth is really starting to make a name for itself. The small bar scene is really coming up and so are laneways (just like you get in Melbourne). The beaches are great in Perth and it's always sunny and warm. The actual city has less to do than some of the big cities over east however. If you're interested in day trips in Perth, Rottnest Island is nice. You can also hire a car and take it down south to places like Busselton and Margaret River.

Don't bother with Adelaide and Darwin.
>>
>>1089367
Thanks for the info, I got a partner that has a different taste than I do so its good to see the options, i like going out and being active all day but he just wants to relax all the time
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.