[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it safe to go to Egypt now?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Is it safe to go to Egypt now?
>>
It's probably only a good idea if you are part of a large tour group and don't venture outside tourist-friendly zones. It is a dangerous place especially for rich infidel Westerners, but it's balanced by the fact that they need Western tourist dollars to keep the economy afloat. So, there will be some presence of security.

Personally, I will not visit any country with a UN HDI rank below 0.800 out of 1.000 (Egypt's score is 0.690).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index
>>
>>1088264

Yes.

Believe it or not, the Egyptians you meet everywhere will be very good to you, the reason being that their income relies on tourists, and at the moment there aren't many tourists around so the few there are are treated very well to try and encourage tourism to come back.

Some exceptions of course, like Sinai and the Libyan boarder, dont go there because they have lots of Islamic terrorists that want to kidnap you and behead you after your family pays them the ransom.

Just keep up to date with the news, keep away from protests or doing things that you shouldn't when in a foreign country and you will be fine.
>>
>>1088364
India's almost at 0.600 though and I've never heard any bad stories from travelers there.
>>
>>1088373
gang rape with a broom
>>
>>1088264
>Is it safe to go to Egypt now?
If I was going to get out of Cairo and do a nile cruise, maybe, but I wouldn't be in the city, and I wouldn't be at some resort on the coast. I know it's a cool place with actual ruins but they're not all in the most touristed spot, and if you are only interested in antiquity? Might hit up some of the world museums with collections instead. I'd suggest Israel is far more safe for a traveler.

P.S. One of my favorite indie films, is Cairo Time (from TIFF), which is an atmospheric armchair travel of a film. Might enjoy it in the meantime.
>>
>>1088373
I pray this is bait.
>>
>>1088264
It's too late senpai,the pyramids are terrorists bases now
>>
File: Yeah Right.png (129 KB, 312x313) Image search: [Google]
Yeah Right.png
129 KB, 312x313
>>1088373
>>
>>1088364
You, my friend, are as sheltered as they come. No memes, no real-travelerâ„¢ bullshit, you're just awful.

>Russia
>Bulgaria
>Turkey
>Romania

I can tell you for a fact that these are kindergarten countries where life just passes by and nothing ever happens. Russia have their wild side but that's one huge-ass country and people generally don't care for their own safety as much as the sheltered west.

Most countries in the >0.800 index have had recent conflicts or terrorism acts, too. They have crime, they have immigrants and street scams. People in the mid-ranges are just trying to get by and enjoying the fruits of their labor, rather than "scam the american".

Enjoy not visiting top-tier travel destinations

>China
>India
>Thailand
>>
You shouldn't go anywhere near a muslim majority country for the next ten years desu senpai
>>
>>1088264
It's pretty safe there. Militia is everywhere and even if they are probably not the most trustworthy police force, they at least keep up a semblance of order.
Don't be a trouble-maker and disregard muslim conventions and do not speak politics there though. I was in Cairo 3 months ago and people where generally nice, talkative (I stuck out because I am white) and overall pleasant towards tourists. They are still all fucking scammers though, so don't fall for that.
The police usually don't scam and don't need to be bribed.

As a woman, you shouldn't go outside after dark though.
>>
>>1088837
>Muslim conventions
Anything non obvious? Seems like it could be pretty easy to accidentally break some rules.

If a woman is with a man, is it safe after dark?
>>
>>1088843
>Anything non obvious?
Don't talk to women in the streets. Like, if you want to ask for directions (don't do that, they are always wrong) or something, don't direct your speech to women if she is not service personnel.
Muslims don't wear short trousers but you will get a pass as you're a tourist.
Alcohol can be bought (at least in big cities) in stores called "Drinkies" but the consumption in the open is largely prohibited.

>If a woman is with a man, is it safe after dark?
Yes, that would be advisable.

Keep in mind that the traffic in Kairo is NO JOKE. People rarely walk on the pavement but between the parked and moving cars.
Taxis will scam you and minibusses will only halt for people who jump in front of them.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.