[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys I'm thinking of hiking in peru with my girlfriend,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 0
Hey guys I'm thinking of hiking in peru with my girlfriend, I have a bad ankle so would a tour guide be understanding?

Thanks.
>>
>>1087641
Are we at the point where these threads are reportable?
>>
>>1087641
Trying way too hard, my man
>>
Hi OP,

This really depends on the location, level, and duration of the hiking you have planned in Peru. If you're experienced trekkers and will be carrying your own equipment, you'll find the whole country is criss-crossed with a spectacular network of trails. It's believed that there's a greater length of pre-Columbian walking trails in the Andes than the entire modern national highway network, over 80,000 km (50,000 miles).

Anywhere in the highlands, you'll find it relatively easy to hire a guide who's extremely familiar with local paths and known at the communities you pass through, which is extremely useful as residents of isolated villages tend to somewhat wary of strangers. This kind of service should cost in the ballpark of $15 per day.

However, these guides are people who make a living running mules or just carrying goods to and from these remote communities. They're strong, tough men in a land of tough men, and they're used to walking long distances at high speeds with heavy loads (40kg/90lbs is non considered excessive). That just means that when agreeing a rate you need to make it very clear that you're paying by the day, not by distance run, and take their estimates for timings as very severe. Unless you're altitude acclimated and in peak physical condition, don't assume that what they call a seven-hour hike can be completed in a day.

So, make it clear that you're not in a hurry, you have a bad ankle, and you want to be able to take time out along the way rather than racing from point to point.

Meanwhile, if you're interested in more mild trekking, the only places you'll be able to hire guides and equipment are cities popular with foreign tourists: principally Cusco and Huaraz, and to a much lesser extent Arequipa and Puno.

There you'll be dealing with professional guides, with more skills but much higher prices. They'll be able to work around any physical limitations or warn you if your plans seem excessively taxing, so explain the precise 1/2
>>
>>1088282
before you waste your energy, he is referencing a year-old post where an anon was hiking in peru, twisted his ankle, and the tour guide took his girlfriend to a hotel as he lay down waiting for "help" to arrive.

It's low quality bait, anon. Don't even bother
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.