[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Camping in Canada
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: Banff.jpg (728 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
Banff.jpg
728 KB, 2560x1600
Hey /trv/,

I'll be camping for the first time in Canada from the 18-27. Its with a school club so theres already a plan in place; we'll be spending a few days in Jasper and Banff national park. Was wondering if theres any advice i could get on what supplies to bring, what to expect, ect. Pretty much any tips in general since im new to this. Also, i dont really have any gear besides maybe a sleeping bag laying around somewhere. Any must have items? (from what i know tents will be provided)
>>
You should check out /out/.

Will you be doing any intense hiking? Do you plan to use your gear afterwards? Will there be food and guides provided?
>>
Are you sleeping in tents or at a lodge?
>>
>Bring a mosquito suit, you can wear shorts and t shirt under,looks goofy but keeps bugs off.
>Bug spray obviously
>Keep all your food tied in a bag tied high in a tree suspended out from the tree and hanging,
(black bears can climb)
>Probably already provided but if not get a water filter. Sawyer minis are good and cheap.
>It will get chilly at night so pack a sweater and long pants, during the day shorts and t shirt will be fine.
>Compass
>Good water bottle
>Dry bag to keep valuables

thats all i can think of off the top of my head,
>>
If your sleeping outside get some pine branches full of needles and layer them under your tent that way you dont have to carry or pump up an air mattress and have a bigger area to sleep
>>
File: IMG_3642.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3642.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>1087397
Of this month? at least a -7 bag and some thermals. I'm assuming your car camping and not backpacking, so bring whatever you want. Definitely get some bear spray all the moms will be down in the valleys with their cubs. Also make sure to stop at moraine, peyto, and maligne. What campgrounds are you staying at? I live in Jasper during the summers.
>>
I first-time camped in Jasper last summer and loved it. What you need will depend on what sort of sleeping arrangements you have and what the people you're going with are willing to lend you.

Assuming you're staying in a campsite, air mattresses are nice if you want the comfort, but I don't personally think they're necessary - I had a shit sleeping bag and slept just fine. If you're cooking you'll need some basic camp-friendly cooking apparatus (e.g. a pot and a frying pan, a couple of plates, cutlery, etc) and some eco-friendly camp soap to do your washing up. Foldable chairs are a good idea if you're planning on chilling out by the campfire in the evenings. If you don't have a vehicle with you then you'll need something to store your food and toiletries in and then either learn how to tie it up in the trees as another anon said, or use the lockers that they have at some campsites - otherwise the smell will attract bears. Bear spray is probably a safe option, and bug spray is important too. There's probably more too, but that's pretty much what I had with me during the summer.

Enjoy it, I'm sure you'll have a blast. Dark nights at the foot of the mountain under the endlessly starry sky, sat by the campfire with friends drinking beer and chilling out..... it's one of my favourite /trv/ memories.
>>
>>1087433
will do, thanks. No intense hiking that i know of. Cross country skiing is a possibility

>>1087440
tents

>>1087706
going later this month, dont think i'd really need bug spray.

>>1088217
no clue what campgrounds yet. All i know is the two locations so far.

>>1088238
thanks for the suggestions

anyone know the chances of seeing northern lights around this time of year in that area? Would be pretty sweet to actually see in person
>>
>>1088238

Staying at Moraine Lake in June and am so incredibly excited for starry nights there.

Bring a few warmer things, you may get to experience some chinook winds.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.