[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2 month travel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: city-lisbon-portugal-02.jpg (441 KB, 900x532) Image search: [Google]
city-lisbon-portugal-02.jpg
441 KB, 900x532
im leaving to travel europe solo in a few days. and im getting pretty nervous and second guessing this decision
i could use some insight
>>
>>1088739
I get that feeling before every trip I take. Right now I'm planning a 2 month trip myself, leaving in about a month and a half. I'm getting nervous just thinking about it. It happens every time.

Don't worry, the moment you get on that plane, or the moment you get off it on the other side of the world things will change. You'll realize you have to rely on yourself and there's no turning back and you'll be too pre-occupied with looking for transport, looking for food, looking for places to stay, looking at all the sights, and hanging out or partying with the people you meet to worry about things.

I've been on 3 extended solo trips in my life plus many other short ones or ones with family and I still get anxious when traveling.

If you have specific questions about Europe ask away.
>>
>>1088751
thanks for that
im not only doing this to find out more about myself, but that is also one of my goals. what are the chances this trip would make me more confident. im a relatively attractive buy but lack confidence... will this help, or not so much?
>>
>>1088774
for me. driving through europe made me want to travel the whole world and i never felt like that before. i went to ireland, england, france, italy , geramny austria, switzerland, spain
>>
>>1088774
Because you'll be relying on yourself it will make you slightly more confident, no doubt. But don't expect it to change your entire personality. I'm definitely introverted and find it hard approaching people but find it a lot easier to do when traveling. You'll likely feel the same way. Stay in hostels, hang out in the common rooms, say hi to people who sit next to you and in no time at all you'll find people to hang out with and possibly travel with.
>>
>>1088785
thank you man. this is encouraging
are there any places i should avoid?
>>
>>1088785
Agreed. I kind of have a switch that flips when I travel, making it easier to open up. Other people are the same, which is why it's easy to meet people.

Enjoy your trip OP, I wish it was me!
>>
>>1088788
Go with your gut. Every city has its seedy neighbourhoods. If you don't feel at ease, move. There are almost always more nice parts of town than the ones you should avoid.

>captcha says 'things you can eat'
>photo of a girl in underpants
>>
File: WP_20150910_11_33_34_Pro.jpg (410 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150910_11_33_34_Pro.jpg
410 KB, 1080x1920
>>1088739
I think everyone gets cold feet before their first solo trip, I had the same last summer.

I had a lot of friends nagging to come along with me but I especially wanted to try solo travel so I kept turning them down which left me a bit nervous because if the trip turned out bad everyone would've been like "I told you so!". But in the end you shouldn't hesitate for a second, I'm sure it'll be amazing, the whole "making friends at hostels is easy"-meme is in fact true.
I too am an introvert guy but once you've been on the road for a while you kinda have to talk to people or you'll go nuts lol. There's never any pressure because you'll know these people for like three days, so that made things a lot easier for me.
And desu it might change you to a certain extent, I definitely came back more confident overall.

I had it easy though, drove everywhere in my own car.
What cities are you visiting? I especially had a hell of a blast in Berlin, 10/10 city.
>>
>>1088774
Alot of europeans are really interested in americans, so you will most likely get alot of positive attention.

(scandinavian guy here)
>>
>>1088857
im flying into lisbon, then going through spain, france, netherlands, germany, italy then greece

i have a list of places i want to visit in each country.
>>
op. bumping this.. hoping for a little more insight
>>
>>1089297
What else is there to say...
Ask specific questions
>>
Not the OP but I'm planning a similar trip where I'm going to be likely in Germany and the Netherlands for a month or two, mainly my concern is how it is to get by without knowing German/Dutch and if theres anything I can do to work around that
Also unsure of where exactly to go in these countries as my plans are fairly open ended
>>
>>1089615
op here. from what i found out in most european countries they speak english as a 2nd or 3rd language
and i chose some places i want to visit but am keeping a very loose plan
>>
>>1089615
You will have zero problems not speaking Dutch. Can't completely vouch for German but should be fine too.
>>
Bro you're going to Europe, level 1 cookie cutter travel destination. Relax, everything is going to be fine and easy.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.