[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/trv/ books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: 2015-07-29-07-25-39.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-29-07-25-39.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
/trv/ relevant literature.

What are you reading in those hostels?
>>
>>1085751
Non-/trv/-related stuff, really. I only read travel literature when I'm at home, doing boring stuff not to starve.

Some of my favourites are:
- Theroux and Bryson. Pretty widely known, but Theroux is still great and Bryson is pretty funny (in the first half of all his books, then he loses his drive and it sort of peters out).
- André Gide's stuff. Pretty old, pretty stuffy from time to time but reading how someone travelled to absolutely out of the way places like Chad in the 1920s is insanely interesting. It might be a more /lit/-related question, but if anyone has any recommendations in the same vein, hit me up.
- Cees Nooteboom's stuff. It's in Dutch so it's easy when I don't feel like reading in English or other languages. Don't know whether it's translated, though. For any Dutchies out there: Nachttrein naar Mandalay is cool stuff.
>>
File: let it come down novel.jpg (23 KB, 300x460) Image search: [Google]
let it come down novel.jpg
23 KB, 300x460
anything by this guy is pretty cool
>>
Michael Palin travel books are great.

My favourite Python and favourite travel show host.
>>
Read Theroux's Great Railway Bazaar on the trans-mongolian railway it was pretty good
>>
I read this during my post travel depression, it's something everybody's read but it's pretty good. Gets a little weird towards the end.
>>
File: TheAlchemist.jpg (34 KB, 216x351) Image search: [Google]
TheAlchemist.jpg
34 KB, 216x351
>>1086292
Pic related
>>
>>1085768
Seconding Bowles. Haven't read that book but 'The Sheltering Sky' (fiction) and 'Their Heads are Green & their Hands are Blue' (essays) are god-tier travel writng.
>>
>>1085751
The Best American Travel Writing 2015
I buy this every other year (on clearance). I greatly enjoy the short stories curated by the (really recommended) editor of this book each year. He's a Nat Geo and NYTimes travel editor. Good stuff!

Hard to say what my favorite is, Bill Bryson springs to mind, kind of like the Hiking genre of the Appalachian Trail, had a nice time with "Finding Atticus" which brought up memories of childhood hikes in NH...but I always try to research something for an upcoming trip for the kindle, to enhance the historical or cultural perspective as I sightsee. I might read a memoir about an artist, something related to war times, or even ancient history. I've reread the sagas for prep for Iceland as well as a crime drama (such as latest Arnaldur Indriðason) It can be fiction as long as the author put some effort into research into historical accuracies too, such as something about Klimt or Haydn for a trip to Vienna.
>>
>>1085751
I like to read books set in/from the country I am in. For example in Mexico I read the Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy, in Thailand I read The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan and in Ireland I read Dubliners by James Joyce and The Snapper by Roddy Doyle. When travelling I usually choose things that aren't too heavy but are still an enjoyable read.
>>
Allow me to bump
>>
File: 925628853-3289105-1_s.jpg (39 KB, 310x448) Image search: [Google]
925628853-3289105-1_s.jpg
39 KB, 310x448
Thinking of visiting the places in this book this summer. Really caught my imagination when I was younger but forgot about it until recently
>>
>>1085751
Anything by Martha Gellhorn.
>>
>>1087188
the problem is that those places are now tourist traps that looks like everywhere else in the planet.

This book is really good. I recommend it to everyone who likes to travel.
>>
>>1087209
maybe Pamplona during the run of the bull but Burguete and Bayonne too?
>>
File: 9781742706979.jpg (63 KB, 446x618) Image search: [Google]
9781742706979.jpg
63 KB, 446x618
>>1085751
Informative.
>>
What are the best travel guides? Lonely Planet ones look quite good, but are there better alternatives?
>>
>>1087223
Well, I had Paris and Pamplona in mind. I have completely forgotten about those small places. That book had an impact on me too when I was in my early 20s.
>>
>>1087240
The Phaic Tan one was my favorite.
>>
>>1086346

Did you read Njal's saga? Oh how those ancient peoples cared so much about lineage. I swear there was about a page per chapter solely dedicated to who was father to whom and who was that person's father and so on.
>>
I would think reading books from the country you are traveling to would be best, and in case of homesickness, read a book about the evils of your country so you don't miss it quite as much. Seems like the smartest move.
>>
Burmese Days
Down and out in Paris and London
>>
Seven Years in Tibet is great
>>
>>1087240
>>1087954
Classic...
>>
Hearts of Darkness
By Joseph Conrad
>>
Invisible cities by calvino
>>
On The Road
by Jack Kerouac
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.