[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what should i know about italy before traveling there?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 8
File: meadow.jpg (91 KB, 700x508) Image search: [Google]
meadow.jpg
91 KB, 700x508
what should i know about italy before traveling there?
>>
File: cZSVhBv.gif (2 MB, 500x288) Image search: [Google]
cZSVhBv.gif
2 MB, 500x288
Pic related.

Do it to your waiters, to your receptionists and every Italian you meet on the street (not really though).
>>
>>1073621
they wont fuck you.. sorry
>>
>>1073621
>you wont get laid
>finger wag isn't an offensive gesture, it just means "no"
>never joke about Satan or things being possessed; they are superstitious as fuck
>in general don't blaspheme, oldschool catholicism is king
>you will never be able to finish your plate. They're happy if you try though.
>in smaller restaurants/cafes, outside of tourist traps, the rule is often pay what you think the meal is worth, but don't abuse this system.
>tips are not calculated per se but think 20%ish. Dont penny pinch, its rude
>tourist restaurants are easy to spot... The food will be good but not great and super overpriced
>be on high alert for gypsies
>buy food ahead of time for Sunday. NOTHING will be open.
>they are the polar opposite of Italian Americans
>people are super emotional. If someone curses you to death and gets red faced screaming, wait 5 minutes and they'll like you again.
>people are ridiculously fashionable.
>dont try to blend in, you wont. Just dress nice and sensible. Nobody expects more from tourists.
>there's a lot of street punks and anarchists, they're hygienically challenged but nice folk mostly
>great rock/metal scene oddly enough
>dont expect to get into many night clubs wearing a less than $600 outfit
>>
>>1073736
this

also don't go to naples
>>
Petty scammers on every corner trying to sell you shit (or steal your shit), don't be polite to them

Black africans selling the same handbags or watches in every fucking city, you'll feel like there's 1 African following you everywhere
>>
>>1073736
>tips
nah man we don't tip, at least not in southern Europe.
>>
File: tz2tiueg8nppwtikbrvt.jpg (27 KB, 367x318) Image search: [Google]
tz2tiueg8nppwtikbrvt.jpg
27 KB, 367x318
>>1073736
>tips
>>
>>1073818
And skip out on Pompeii?! Literally my favorite part. My second favorite would be Florence. Of the tourist things. My very favorite would be Turin. It was a nice enough town, but not a top tourist destination. I just met and dated a girl there for a couple months.
>>
>>1073818
>>1073994
Italians detest Naples, for whatever reason
>>
>>1073736
>you won't get laid
Amerifat here, I've closed cold opens every time I've been to Italy. A lot of English speaking anons will have trouble though because they respond well to machismo, and we're kind of conditioned to hate our masculinity and supplicate ourselves to women whereas they respond positively to men who act like men.

>tips
This is actually insulting, you're implying the establishment can't afford to pay their servers. Tipping isn't really a thing outside of US/Canada/UK.

>gypsies
Literally the worst people in the world. Do not mistake the amount of hate people show on this board for a meme; if one approaches you they're almost certainly not alone and they ARE trying to scam or rob you. The appropriate response is to quickly and discretely secure your wallet and to loudly tell them to fuck off while getting the fuck away from them.

>less than a $600 outfit
Basically. If you plan on clubbing an ensemble from Hugo Boss is a safe bet.
>>
>>1073818
motherfucker, naples has the best museum ever. also it is a good foot to get to pompeii, vesuvio, almafi and capri
>>
>>1074021
OP, don't listen to this blowhard.

t. a European.
>>
>>1073736
>you wont get laid

Genuinely curious what makes you say this? I've never been to Italy specifically, but European girls are generally pretty sexually open. As a normie who likes going out and isn't a spaghetti monster, what would be stopping you?
>>
>>1074161
>OP, don't listen to this blowhard.
He's right about most of it actually. Even if he's pulling this alpha-male bullshit, it's kind of true in Italy.

To a point...there are lots of local women who are sick of that shit though and a foreign guy who isn't into the bullshit can do well but it's a long game for relationships, not hooking up.

>>1074165
>European girls are generally pretty sexually open
Italy is a little different, more traditionally Catholic and some fucked up attitudes to a lot of things. Gossip, scandal, family honour and respect are a big deal. Well, kind of but a girl isn't going to take a guy back to her room at her parents house and Italians often live at home until they're married.

It's not Germany or France.
>>
>>1074165
Northern European girls are literally the easiest on earth, you are not wrong there. Thing is, when you get into the south, especially Italy, it has to do with the devout catholicism. Girls value their purity and class is important. Girls GENERALLY don't get sloppy drunk, wolf down a giant kebab roll, spit and swear, and tongue up random strangers. They just have more class, that kind of slutty woo-girl behavior is heavily frowned upon in Italy.

Much like >>1074021 said, results may vary. I just found it to be one of the most challenging places to hook up in my travels.
>>
>>1074165
Curious as well. I have friends that have banged club sluts that couldn't speak English in the club parking lot. I also know someone who married a rich Italian chick. He was just a normal US Marine on embassy duty. Short as shit, too. With the napoleon complex and everything. Little mean motherfucker
>>
>>1074021
>cold opens

Never heard that one. Sales slang or PUA slang?
>>
From every metal gig in London I've been to I can tell you 2 things.

> Italians are obnoxious irritating fucking pricks

> the women are hot as fuck
>>
Literally everyone, male or female, under the age of 35 is HOT AS FUCK.

...food's great too.
>>
>>1074170
>Sales slang or PUA slang?

both actually
>>
>>1074174

> the women are hot as fuck

F a l s e

Unless you like manfaced, tall and busty women.
I was in Italy (Rome, Milan, Venice) for 4 weeks last year and I didn't see a single actually good looking woman. Not a single one.
>>
>>1073621
If you order a latte, say latte macchiato. Otherwise you will just get hot milk.
>>
>>1074264
>>1074174

Spent 10 days in Italy, their girls are literally nothing special. Compared to Balkans they're objectively worse
>>
>>1074174
>Italians are obnoxious irritating fucking pricks
That's because the majority of Italians in London are Southern Italians.
The Northerners are pretty cool.
>>
>>1074276
You only like non-white women, I'm guessing.
>>
>>1074276
>manfaced, tall and busty women.

I'll take 2/3. Body is more important than face. I like how you list tall and busty as negatives wtf haha.
>>
>>1074001
Because it refletcs his chronic inefficency on the country itself.
The good thing is that you don't have to deal with gypsies there, the locals are good enough at being thieves.
>>1074021
In my opinion if you are under 25 you should not care about tipping.
However it's a good habit to leave few cents tip in cafés and at least 10 eypo in restaurants.
>>1074302
So true.
>>
>>1074165
>>1074167
I thought Italians didn't practice much anymore even though they still identify with the Church and don't trash talk it? I'd be happy to hear they are still practicing, I am Catholic and its sad to see how most Catholics where I live (including myself I must add) don't practice much.
>>
>>1074165
My experience is that it's generally harder to engage with Italians than it is in other European countries. Mainly because they travel around in packs with people that they already know, a lot of them through family ties. They're also not that confident in English. That and catholizism.

Having that said there's a couple of million Italians out there and if you're in an alternative club in a big city you might come across some drunk sluts.
>>
>>1074021
In France, tips are very welcomed but only a few does it
>>
>>1074496
>I thought Italians didn't practice much anymore
That's because they already perfected it.

No seriously, it's just that living close to the church shows them what kind of bullshit it is but they still consider themselves Catholic in name and they tick the boxes like confirmation etc.
>>
>>1074532
Italians are, to paraphrase my people, "historically Catholic"
>>
>>1074021
>Literally the worst people in the world
Are you allowed to hit them? They won't gang up on you?
>>
>>1074547
Generally they avoid violence because they don't want the attention drawn to themselves. Having said that, if you just deck one, they'll swing back like anyone else would.
>>
>>1074584
>Having said that, if you just deck one, they'll swing back like anyone else would.
And they'll mob you but if you hit hard and move fast enough to get out of their mob then it's not such a bad idea. Police will probably come running.
>>
Bring a selfie stick with you and have it on your hands all the time. It decreases turks and african streets sellers from yelling "selfie selfie!" on you.
>>
>>1073736
Central Italian here
>you wont get laid
not impossible but def much harder than most places in Europe
>finger wag isn't an offensive gesture, it just means "no"
true
>never joke about Satan or things being possessed; they are superstitious as fuck
>in general don't blaspheme, oldschool catholicism is king
this is pretty true in the South, not so much in the North. Although no one is hyper religious, being openly blasphemous or satanic will make many people very uncomfortable
>in smaller restaurants/cafes, outside of tourist traps, the rule is often pay what you think the meal is worth, but don't abuse this system.
>tips are not calculated per se but think 20%ish. Dont penny pinch, its rude
THESE ARE BOTH FALSE
>be on high alert for gypsies
>buy food ahead of time for Sunday. NOTHING will be open.
TRUE
>they are the polar opposite of Italian Americans
No, southern Italians are very similar in a lor of ways
>people are super emotional. If someone curses you to death and gets red faced screaming, wait 5 minutes and they'll like you again.
>people are ridiculously fashionable.
>dont try to blend in, you wont. Just dress nice and sensible. Nobody expects more from tourists.
>there's a lot of street punks and anarchists, they're hygienically challenged but nice folk mostly
>great rock/metal scene oddly enough
>dont expect to get into many night clubs wearing a less than $600 outfit
These are also true
>>
It's dirty
>>
>>1075808
Kek maybe I'm too generous
>>
File: italysafety_beggar.jpg (86 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
italysafety_beggar.jpg
86 KB, 600x398
One thing you gotta keep in mind is that people WILL try to rob you, so as long as you keep your bag secure. Italians and Africans see tourists as free money, and they'll do what they can to try and get some money out of you. This can mean unzipping and reaching into your bag, even while its on your back (they're good at this) so it might be an idea to use a bumbag or some sort of bag that might make it hard for them to access.

Keeping on the topic of tourism and money, gypsies are not your friend. They pose as old, miserable, homeless ladies wanting a couple euros but really, are trying to scam you. (pic related) If they manage to get something out of you they tell other gypsies so those gypsies can pressure you to give them something and might even try and rob you. Also, there are a lot of Africans selling selfie sticks. Get ready to hear the term "selfie" a lot. They don't bother you very much, though.

Food is a big deal over there. Breakfast is disguised as desert. Pastries, chocolate and biscuits are all considered a breakfast food. Three course meals for dinner is also common, and It's usually served in huge portions. A plate of spaghetti is considered an entree. Also, ice cream is everywhere. And It's fucking delicious. Every ice cream place has good ice cream, so don't worry about going to any specific one.

Where in Italy are you going, anon?
>>
>>1075895
another thing I should mention - some gypsies can be surrounded by children, and if they are, stay away from them completely. They try and keep you distracted while the children reach into your pockets, backpack and such
>>
Northern italian here.
Some of the stereotypes in this thread are ridiculous, have you been in a small southern italian village in the 50s?
Security: just ignore gypsies and you'll be fine. Cities centre are safe.
Tipping: dont fucking do it
Girls: the catholic moral thing only applies to girl leaving with their families in small villages. In cities anything can happen. Though some girls will have problem with the english language.
Fashion: honestly its just a meme. I never wore fancy outfits in my life and i always got into clubs. Well of course dont wear a football jersey but that would be also retarded in your country, right?
Food: just avoid restaurant just close to touristic attractions or who has big signs like "english spoken - touristic menus" and enjoy the great taste
>>
>>1074276
I like a lady with a "Roman" nose.
>>
File: 1397188614329.png (202 KB, 268x320) Image search: [Google]
1397188614329.png
202 KB, 268x320
>>1074276
>Unless you like manfaced, tall and busty women.
You seem imply those are bad things
>>
>>1074021
You sound like a cunt desu my friend.
>>
>>1075916
this is the only correct answer in this thread. Naples is also better than its reputation.
>>
They are the noisiest people ever. Believe me, I'm Spanish and I got scared when I hear them talk. But love them anyway
>>
File: pick_pocketed.jpg (25 KB, 600x351) Image search: [Google]
pick_pocketed.jpg
25 KB, 600x351
>>1073621
FOR GODS SAKE ANON, WATCH YOUR WALLET
>>
>>1073621
Trains are ALWAYS late.
>>
Half Sardinian half Southern Italian living in the North here.

Italy is very different culture-wise: whereas Trieste and Bolzano will remind you, also people-wise, of Central Europe, Napoli and Palermo are an organized chaos. Great to have been there though :)

Italian women are hot and those who said the opposite obviously didn't meet enough women. They are harder to gain than in other European countries, that's for sure. I'm starting to get a relationship just now at 23, and just because I became kinda famous (I hitch-hiked 20 000 km in 2 years). Food-wise do not tip (che cazzo sono le mance? Ma siamo seri?!), make sure to try the local food in each city (arancine in Palermo, pizza fritta in Naples, focaccia di Recco in Genoa, arrosticini in Pescara and so on). Fashion wise I cannot comment as I often dress in an extravagant manner (yellow outfit, green tracksuit pants-blue sweatshirt- red hat) but I've never really had issues for clothing.

Security-wise: avoid gypsies, book subway-train-bus tickets on your own (if people want to help you they will ask you money. At least in Milan), check which rough neighbourhoods you are going to.

Transport: trains are shitty and slow but go to many remote destinations. Pretty easy to blackride them as well, depending on where you live. Buses are cheaper but they're useful only between major cities and for going somewhere in Calabria.

Accommodation: look for agriturismo if you want something typical and astonishing local food.

Naples is a great city anyway. I had a bit of scare from the media before going but I still miss it to this day. Cheap food, nice-funny people.If you end up travelling through central Italy I'd suggest you to go for a day-trip in San Marino (one of the smallest countries worldwide), especially if you like cheap booze and weapons.

Dove andrai in Italia, anonimo?
>>
Will it be a problem to get girls if I'm a 1.75m manlet?
>>
>>1078979
Yes especially if you are a paki
>>
If you're going to Rome and planning on visiting some churches/musea, try reading a bit about baroque and Bernini/Borromini. You will appreciate the art and architecture so much more.
>>
>>1078983
what if i'm a 1,68m manlet?
>>
>>1073736

All surprisingly accurate, except for the catholicism thing (no one gives a hoot about it) and the "you pay what you think the meal worths" (i think you could get stabbed if you actually try this)

Also you will probably get laid, italian girls loves americans. If you're black, it may even be an advantage since it's seen as more exotic

> tips

We don't have any tips culture in Italy
>>
>>1074168

It's heavily frowned upon everywhere except the Uk, where it strangely became part of the national identity.

British people, what the fuck is wrong with your girls and the whole slags mentality
>>
>>1074277

Or you can say "caffe latte" like normal folks do.
>>
>>1074277
>>1079159

kek, reminds me of when I was in Venice and ordered a machiatto.
The lady specifically warned me, that it will be a small cup of coffee.
At first I didn't really know why she said that and what she meant.
Later, I figured it's because americans and anglos probably complain when they don't get a jug of 0.5L of coffee.
>>
>>1078983
But I'm not a Paki, I'm an Spanish-Italian looking latino.
>>
>>1079299

are you an actual Spaniard, Italian, or Latin of any kind or are you a Mesoamerican who speaks a Latin language
>>
>>1079556
I am a south american with no abo blood.
>>
>le Catholic meme
have any of you actually been to Italy? nobody under 60 is religious. Italian women just develop a bitch shield of rejecting cold approaches because Italian men are Arab tier for harassing women.

You bang girls in Italy through social circles and online game, talk to them, meet them for a coffee or gelato and invite them back to your place, easy as any other country, don't go to a bar or club for that it's not common. You need to know some Italian though.

Northern Italians are basically like the French, kinda haughty, arrogant, obsessed with fashion and appearances, hate tourists etc but it's probably where you'll end up if you work there.

I prefer the South more, it's more of a chilled out place where people don't give a shit.

t. brit who has spent some time in Italy
>>
File: roman-forum.jpg (5 MB, 4961x3320) Image search: [Google]
roman-forum.jpg
5 MB, 4961x3320
Hey italianons, just wanted to hear if May is a good month to go to Italy? I have planned a holiday there where I want to go see some of the popular locations like Colosseum, Roman Forum and Pompeii, but also a lot of smaller locations so I will be driving/walking a lot around. I would also like to go to the beach some days.

I will be staying in the southern area, in Pontecagnano which is close to the city of Salerno. :)
>>
>>1080184
May is fine, it starts to get hot then
>>
>>1080184
May is perfect
>>
>>1080212
may in italy can be fucking rainy
>>
>>1080033
You seem like a beta PUA wannabe who hooked up with like 1 or 2 chicks during a 10 week stay, now comes here to gloat about it.

You ain't shit, son.
>>
>1080030
>I am a south american with no abo blood
Australian confirmed
>>
>>1080936
Could be a politician. They still only let Castilians run their governments.
>>
More Africans than I expected, even in the north.
>>
>>1078935
>Transport: trains are shitty and slow but go to many remote destinations

THIS

You'll find millions of hidden gems if you go out of city centers and go to the little towns with no tourists
>>
What about going out? What clubs do you recommend? How do I need to prepare myself?
>>
>>1081144
depend what city mate!
>>
>>1080184
10/10
>>
File: WP_20140304_17_10_15_Pro.jpg (216 KB, 718x1277) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140304_17_10_15_Pro.jpg
216 KB, 718x1277
>>1081136
How I discovered Misterbianco and their odd carnival parade when I was in Sicily
>>
>>1081144
Depends on the cities and your scene party season in italy is in july-august especially in salento, riccione and jesolo, aside for that try big cities/university city. If you're not into superposh clubs, dress code is usually casual.
>>
>>1081146
>>1081146

Sorry, forgot about that. I'm going to Rome. Also, are there party's on Mondays?
>>
>>1081541
dress well. Not like "trying too hard to blend in" well, just you know, polished shoes, ironed shirt, nicely fixed hair. Basically a decent standard of dress and not a skintight ed hardy shirt with distressed jeans.

Just don't be a slob and youll be fine
>>
>>1081541
there are always parties, check out a pub crawl. There are tons of them in Rome when i was there, almost one every night of the week
>>
>>1081045
Which is probably why we're still alive
>>
>>1073736
>>buy food ahead of time for Sunday. NOTHING will be open.
That was hardly true even ten years ago, and since then shops opening times have been deregulated.
In practice most big grocery shops (called supermercato) are open on Sunday, small ones usually aren't.
>>
>>1082863
Real travelers only go to places with small grocery stores, or only purchase from them. Not those monuments to capitalism that are super markets.
>>
>>1073736
>>1082865

this man

also for the record you can get laid in italy, this "where can you/can you not get laid" this is just a meme
>>
>>1080884
you seem jealous and insecure, you should work on that
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.