[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nepal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
Anyone been to Nepal lately?
Was starting to plan a trip there but read about April 2015 earthquake fucking up a lot of Kathmandu, Patan, Bhakrapur, etc.

Are sites totally devastated, the country still in rebuilding process?
Should I wait?
>>
>>1072459
Kathmandu as a city with how shitty its infrastructure and how many unfinished buildings that are around the place, you'd never know there was earthquake there if someone didn't tell you.

That said, in Kathmandu Durbur square there is fairly significant Earthquake Damage on the Heritage Buildings some dating back a fucking long time.

I never got around to Bhatkapor but I hear it's still fairly nice to see. Another good place is Pokhora, probably nicer than Khatmandu by a fair margin. Would recommend 3 nights there and 2 in Khatmandu if you were doing 6 days in nepal.

As for what else? Do you plan on doing day trekking? Multi-day trekking? Annurpurna? Everest? etc? What are you plans?

If anything, THE major issue you'll find when traveling there will be the ongoing fuel crisis. In my trip I was supposed to get a plane from Jomson down to Pokhora after trekking the Annurpurna. But none of the flight companies could source fuel for flights so we had to get a private 4WD Vehicle operator instead. This cost us twice as much as what the plane would have cost. Lel.

The country is really beautiful and worth a trip for sure but take the Earthquake damage on the whole isn't that bad its more the shitty fuel situation more than anything.
>>
>>1072483
I was planning to fly into kathmandu and see sites there, at patan and bhaktapur, and still considering pokhara, nagarkot and annapurna.

I'm more into history, culture and architecture than natural scenery, but for the himalayas i'd made an exception to get a good view of them, such as nagarkot i've heard is good. But i'm not going to climb it or even go to base camp which i heard takes like 16 days of hiking. Not into treking, even if you take out the time and cost of it.
>>
File: placestogo.png (105 KB, 1357x441) Image search: [Google]
placestogo.png
105 KB, 1357x441
What should I add to the Nepal section of this article. I'm mostly looking for mountain hiking places and old temples to see.
Thanks in advance
>>
>>1072899
>article
I meant bucket list.
>>
It depends, there has been a lot of destruction yes, but there are still places left.
Out of the 8 UNESCO heritages sites, 2 are damaged.

A lot of the architecture was destroyed in Patan and especially in Bhaktapur but the Durbar Square is still accessible and things aren't completely gone.

And just like the previous anon said the current worrisome situation is posed by the shit fuel crisis.
>>
>>1072459
I was there for one full month of holidays in September last year, country is impressive in the variety of its climates over such a short distance, went to the Chitwan national park which is quite tropical, did two weeks on the Annapurna trek circuit (with a stop by Pokhara which is absolutely gorgeous with the surrounding region) and one week in the Mustang region, all mostly on foot (not that you have much of a choice).
Best trek of my life. Dear god i want to go back, those arid central asia landscapes like the Mustang area or western china are truly my thing.
I mostly went to regions not overly hit by the earthquake and it was barely visible. I did arrive and left from Kathmandu and took a bit of time to visit, a lot of centuries old buildings are lost, which is a shame, they are still suffering from the aftermath. The city as a whole didn't appeal to me much, a lot of squalor that was already there before i think, and simply gave me the feeling of a city that grew way too fast with poor urban planning, infrastructure and hygiene.

>>1072483
All very good points.
>>
Which are the must-sees? I'll be there in September/October for one fucking month.
>>
>>1075271
bump
>>
>>1072899
>>1075271
I made this compilation of stuff that I heard was cool you might want to check some of this out
Also, here's a good imgur gallery that lists some good places/regions
http://imgur.com/a/XEFQq
>>
Does anyone know how difficult it is to find trekking partners (early twenties would be nice) while there? I'm planning on arriving around mid march and then doing the small Annapurna circuit, that is to Muktinath and then getting back to Pokhara by bus/plane from Jomsom.
>>
>>1075579
Ok thank you!
>>
How do the Nepalese treat western women? Might be traveling with the gf and I need the Intel so she doesn't get murder raped
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.