[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do most ESL teachers only teach abroad for a year?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: 0420.jpg (22 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
0420.jpg
22 KB, 500x333
Is it because they can't get used to the local culture? People say that the pay is not that good, but surely it is better than working in retail/fast food restaurants in the west? A lot of art majors can't find jobs related to their degrees after graduation. Surely teaching English abroad is better than office work? Don't most ESL schools pay for your accommodation and flight tickets?
>>
A lot of people just do it because it allows them to move to a different country for a while. If you ***actually like teaching*** you can do it for as long as you want.

>People say that the pay is not that good, but surely it is better than working in retail/fast food restaurants in the west?
It depends what you like... Some people don't want to leave their friends, family, and familiar places. Some people want to experience something different for a while and then go back. Others want to get out of their country and never return.

>Surely teaching English abroad is better than office work?
Again it depends on what you like doing. An "office job" is a ridiculously general term anyway.

>Don't most ESL schools pay for your accommodation and flight tickets?
It varies. In Europe they usually don't.
>>
Didn't we just have this exact same thread?
>>
>>1066395
>Some people don't want to leave their friends, family, and familiar places.
It adds up to visit home on holidays, and most international salaries that aren't executive are for local cost of living, and locals don't really take round the world trips twice a year. If you fly nowhere, you might save a little money, but other than that, you only really get by.

I wouldn't say it isn't a desired job. I am simply saying that it's fine for asocial, single, orphans who have no desire to get home for a long long time.
>>
>>1066410
>I am simply saying that it's fine for asocial, single, orphans who have no desire to get home for a long long time.

It depends what you make of it. I'm teaching privately in Barcelona, mostly 1 on 1 classes to adults, and I make about €2k per month. If put more effort into my sales I could probably get up to about €3k. It's not a huge amount of money, but it is more than enough for me (I'm not an asocial orphan and a return flight home is usually only €80 or €90). I don't expect to do this for the rest of my life, but it's a pleasant way to make a living.

There are, of course, a lot of shitty teaching jobs out there that match your description.
>>
>>1066406
>Didn't we just have this exact same thread?

Yes, 300 or 400 times already, I believe. The comments ITT will be the same and the answers ITT will be the same. Actually, I think it's the same OP as well, making the same thread over and over and over again. I bet OP is also that Canadafag asexual accountant from last week whose family didn't want him to become an ESL teacher.
>>
>>1066422
>Canadafag asexual accountant
I don't think it is him. The writing style is different.
>>
Well I've been in Korea for 4 months and I feel like I've seen everything I want to, I'd be fine with going home in the near future. At the same time though, Korea is great and home wouldn't be *that* much better, and indeed I would probably get bored of it and maybe want to come back or teach in China or Japan instead.

Stated a different way, a year is long enough for most people and it's an arbitrary length of time determined by 99% of the hiring schools. I'd be fine with going home any time, but I get a bonus month's pay and free flight home when the contract is over, so I'm fine with staying here since I think life would only be marginally better at home.
>>
>>1066422
The OP also makes a variation of this thread on /adv/ every day. He's without a doubt autistic.
>>
>>1066373
>Why do most ESL teachers only teach abroad for a year?
It's more of just an easy occupation to do while "Traveling" abroad in another country to fund yourself for the time that you live there

So basically those types are ones that just want an adventure in another country for 6 to 24 months.

I personally just did 6 months. It was simply just to go overseas in China to have a fun time for a short while. Then came back home started post-grad.
>>
File: wojak.jpg (30 KB, 450x800) Image search: [Google]
wojak.jpg
30 KB, 450x800
ESL is a shitty dead end job with no opportunity to move up the ladder (unless you open you're own school). Pay is shit and there are lots of "unpaid hours" like lesson planning. I have no idea why it's so glorified on this board.
>>
>>1067805
>I have no idea why it's so glorified on this board.
Because this is /trv/ and it's really the only easy-entry job for native English speakers allowing one to live in a different culture for a prolonged period and immerse.

But you already know that, you sad autistic fuck.
>>
>>1067806
I wouldn't call ESL easy...it's certainly not for everybody. It's ironic that you're calling me autistic because I was an ESL teacher for a year and you have to be sociable, quick-thinking and a real people person - the opposite of autistic.

After my one year contract was up I left the profession because of the terrible pay. You can earn more in McDonalds and I'm not even kidding.
>>
>>1067816
>You can earn more in McDonalds
This is bait
>>
>>1066373
GO AWAY YOU FUCKING CANCER. WHY DO YOU KEEP MAKING THE SAME THREAD ABOUT ESL OVER AND OVER AND REHASHING YOUR SAME OPINIONS.

You're like a legit sociopath. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>1066373
>The British Lawyer guy
>The Canadian accountant guy who was supposedly going to inherit a house
>a few generic "why do people do ESL" threads

This is clearly all the same faggot OP. Who is for some reason weirdly fascinated and somehow mildly butthurt by ESL and ESL teachers.

It's so bizarre. Can someone please ban this tool.
>>
>>1067816
I didn't call the job easy, I said 'easy-entry'. Evidently it is, too: you fail at basic reading comprehension yet you walked into a job as a 'teacher' of the language.
>>
>>1067805
>no opportunity to move up the ladder
Who the fuck started this meme?

>>1067816
>You can earn more in McDonalds
While teaching in Kazakhstan, the gov let the Tenge float and it devalued 30% over night. At one point I was earning less than McDonalds workers lol.

All memes aside, with the right amount of exp and a masters in an ESL related field or a DELTA, you can easily move you up the career ladder. Just like any other job desu.
>>
>>1067843
>Who the fuck started this meme?
Debito.
>>
>>1067827
What makes you think it is the same guy?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
ESL paid my bills while I earned my MBA and got a real big boy job. It helped me get the foot in the door so to speak to see if I could adjust. ESL was t particularly easy for me since I had never taught before and lesson plans, teaching from a text book, tests and homework were all steep learning curves for me.

I appreciated the flexibility it gave me to make a 90 degree turn in my life.
>>
I moved back due to my father's health. Now I teach 9th grade biology at an IB school in the states. Going for my masters in ESOL and plan on teaching abroad again in the future. I hope by the time I go I will have a few preps of ESOL bio and IB bio I/II to help pave the way to a well paying gig. Might have to pick up Chem as most international schools are small.
>>
>>1067863
He posts the same shit on other boards too.
>>
>>1067953
I've never seen an ESL thread in the other boards. It seems to be something that only /trv/ is hyped about.
>>
>>1067816

>I was an ESL teacher for a year
>open you're own school
>>
Has anyone done the I to I Tefl course??
>>
>>1068237
He posts a variation of this. For example on /adv/ he posts every day a thread that goes something like "Why do people go pursue careers that they are passionate about and not pay well?" He's confirmed autistic.
>>
>>1068363
This is different though. He is asking why most ESL teachers choose to return to their own countries.
>>
>>1066406

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I replied to this thread before, but after reading through it I cant find my old post.

The ESL thing on /trv/ is becoming like the Tipping threads on /ck/. Literally the same thing over and over again.
>>
Other ESL thread OP here.

I'm only staying in Korea for 1 year because compared with my home country (Australia), i could be making 4500 a month rather than 2000.

I only came so i could travel and live abroad. But also, after a year of teaching (i was a film grad), i now want to get my masters degree because its A job that I want to continue in the future. This year has just been a relaxing year of easy work and understanding the teaching profession.

Plus, Teaching elementary/hageon in Korea (as a foreigner) is a dead end job with no pay rise and no promotion. The best option is to work at a university and that requires a masters degree.
>>
File: 1450636067075.jpg (9 KB, 334x393) Image search: [Google]
1450636067075.jpg
9 KB, 334x393
Why are you fucking people so upset about a thread that's similar to what you've seen in the past? Not everyone is going to frequent this god damn board, and not everyone is going to be so desperate for new content to the point where they get upset about discussing older content. And this is actually a great topic. Lots of fucking people want to know about teaching English abroad, that's why it comes up so often. There is literally nothing unique on this site aside from epic and extreme rare pepes. Or maybe you want a thread about the best traveling packs that are pick pocket proof and can only be worn on your fucking calf? Your frustration at something so antithetical to utility is disgusting. However, I'm happy because I came to this board looking for information about traveling abroad on the cheap and hopefully using my esl shit to carry the financial weight. So thanks anyway you fucking miserable queers.
>>
File: butthurt.jpg (53 KB, 552x589) Image search: [Google]
butthurt.jpg
53 KB, 552x589
>>1069125
>>
>>1066373

Because it's only fun and interesting for a year. If you stay longer than that, then there's something wrong with you.

I taught English in Korea for a while and couldn't believe the number of middle aged guys still acting like they were in their 20s, making shit-tier money while pretending they were kings of the orient, but at the same time constantly bitching about Korea and the Koreans.

It's really pathetic to see, I think most of them were there just because they were social rejects in their home countries.
>>
>>1069125
It's more about the recent frequency of this exact question more or less worded the same way, to the point that it implies the same OP

>>1068492
Different han those /adv/ threads but literally the exact same thing that nor so coincidentally seems to get reposted the second the old one archives
>>
>>1069119
>Teaching elementary/hageon in Korea (as a foreigner) is a dead end job with no pay rise and no promotion. The best option is to work at a university and that requires a masters degree.

Can you shut the fuck up with this bullshit misinformation already. No that isn't the best option. You know nothing about esl teaching nor the industry.
>>
I'm really late to this thread but I have been living and teaching in Vietnam for 3 years, I am also engaged to a local girl and I am probably going to be living here for the rest of my life. To answer your questions.

>People say that the pay is not that good, but surely it is better than working in retail/fast food restaurants in the west?

It depends where you live, I make about 1,800$ a month, but in Vietnam I am considered wealthy because I make more than 98% of the population. My 2 bedroom apartment in the one of the nicest areas of Saigon costs $400 a month, I end up saving about 900-1200 dollars a month unless I go on vacation a buy something expensive. But yeah It much better than working retail in the U.S I make more and my living expenses are less.

>Don't most ESL schools pay for your accommodation and flight tickets?

Depends on the school and country, I heard in China, Japan, and Korea that is true for most schools, I just showed up to Vietnam on a tourist visa and started looking for a job.

Alot of people teach because they either don't know what they wanna do with their lives or they want to go on an extended year long vacation, but there are quite a few of us who end up staying for the long run.
>>
Focusing specifically on pay, the pay the pay in ESL is often fine if you plan on staying in a country indefinitely, as it is typically high to average for the country you're in, but most ESL teachers have no intention of doing this so all they see is the additional money they could be making in their home country. That Australian guy who will eventually move back to Australia is a perfect example of this.
>>
>>1069730

Tell us about your promotion, Senpai
>>
>>1070101
He's in line for one next year.
>>
>>1069694
I don't think that is him though. Sometimes threads get resposted.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.