[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Syracuse, NY nice? Interested in good restaurants, good lifestyle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
Is Syracuse, NY nice? Interested in good restaurants, good lifestyle (cycling, fitness, outdoors, climbing, healthy living generally), good arts & culture, live music, gastropubs, and interesting people generally.
>>
>>1070691
>Is Syracuse, NY nice?
In my experience, no. It's something of a dump. But as a large town/very small city with some institutions of higher education in it, it has more going on than most towns of its size in its region.
>Interested in good restaurants, good lifestyle (cycling, fitness, outdoors, climbing, healthy living generally), good arts & culture, live music, gastropubs, and interesting people generally.
Has student/university culture. That means some food, arts, and nightlife options you wouldn't find in nearby towns. Probably also increases the outdoorsy/athletic value of the place. Central New York is in many places quite beautiful, but it's mostly flat.
>>
>>1070691
no, it's horrible and highly niggery.
upstate new york is bleak and desolate wasteland.
The only places you should consider stopping in are some of the towns along the finger lakes for wine tours.
naples and ithaca are basically the only places even remotely worth spending your time on.
all the "cities" upstate are utterly sickening.
t. someone unfortunate enough to have had to live upstate for work.
never again.
>>
I've spent some time there. It's infested by African Americans. There are a few white areas, but you still aren't safe. The only famous restaurant is Dinosaur BBQ (original location). The canal museum is ok. There's a Children's Science Museum, but it's run of the mill. The best thing there is probably the art museum. They have tried making a safe zone up on the Syracuse University hill. The food is nothing special, but that is one of the few areas where you could feel safe walking around. Even in this safe area I got approached by an aggressive 'youth'. Anyone with sense and options has long ago moved into the suburbs. The only reason the city hasn't collapsed is the hospitals, Syracuse University, SUNY medical, Social Security, and other government related business. You meet interesting people from the university. In conclusion, it's not nice.
>>
OP, you're looking for Minneapolis.
>>
>>1070691
it's very progressive and multicultural. Here's a good video of some of the multicultural celebrations you can expect to see in colorful Syracuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iSESl-WFn8
>>
Wow... that bad, guys? Almost sorry I asked. I'm looking to go to USA for a year, first time to the Americas, and always thought the north east was rich and nice... Is that just New England then?

For some reason I thought upstate New York was posh (Hamptons kinda stuff, yeah I know that is on Long Island but still I thought it was country clubs and nice). Sounds pretty bad.
>>
>>1071088
The only part of the US that is safe and comfy is the South. Come to Charleston it's the best city in the country and I'll show you a good time.
>>
>>1071088
Well up until the 1970s it was. They had a booming manufacturing industry and the majority of the world's cars were produced in Michigan, upstate New York, Pensylvania, northern Ohio, and even New Jersey. This area would come to be known as the "rust belt"

Then America got lazy, and wanted better pay for sloppier quality work. Companies like AMC were pumping out shit tier cars that wouldn't last a year. Eventually they couldn't compete with Japanese or European quality or Chinese/Taiwanese labor costs. Most of the factories closed down or moved out, and with it, most of the middle class whites left, gone to pursue jobs further south or along the coast. Poor blacks and immigrants took their place in the cities, and brought drugs, crime, and violence with them. Major cities like Detroit or Dayton shrunk to a third of their size and, the factories were reduced to crackhouses and homeless squats.

Nowadays the areas are something out of fallout, just shelled out houses and roaming gangs killing eachother over scrap metal. I live right across from Buffalo in Canada, it's shocking to see the level of decay in places like Buffalo and Niagara Falls, New York.
>>
>>1071088
most people hate on it, but having spent some time there, buffalo's pretty cool. the city's having something of a revival these past few years. lots of cool things to do there, and there're some gorgeous views nearby if you have a car. east aurora's a nice little town that's pretty close. has a good upstate new york vibe. also letchworth state park is about an hour away, and it's pretty fucking awesome. had a great time there. the drive up is also really nice, especially if you go sometime in the autumn. definitely got that cozy upstate new york feel driving through around halloween with my girlfriend
>>
>>1071103
i'll give you niagara falls, new york, because it frankly is kind of a dump, but buffalo's not really even close to detroit tier decay, let's be real, man. if you like urban decay, however, buffalo does have a lot of it, especially along the harbour, but they're beginning to do some really interesting things with it like art installations and parks, etc.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.