[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eurail? Yay or Nay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Eurail_RGB_2014.jpg (41 KB, 835x353) Image search: [Google]
Eurail_RGB_2014.jpg
41 KB, 835x353
Hey guys, first time posting on this board (/n/ says hello). Anyways I have booked my ticket to Europe for the summer before my last semester at college and I was looking for a way to get around the continent. A British friend of mine who studied abroad in France told me about the Eurail pass and said it was great. My question to you, is it "great?" To generalize my trip I was planning on taking trains from;

> London -> Paris
> Paris -> Düsseldorf
> Osnabrück -> Berne
> Most major Italian cities from Milan/Turin area
> Milan -> Munich
> Munich -> London

I'm in no rush and I love taking trains to places so time and convenience is not a factor for me because all of this is going to be an experience for me, I just mainly want to know if this pass is as easy as it seems. From my initial research it looks like it won't be because of my longer train rides that require reservations. Apparently some trains only allow a certain number of Eurail passes on board trains at one given time? Thank you guys!
>>
File: IMG_0486.jpg (4 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0486.jpg
4 MB, 4608x3456
Eurail pass is great if you're looking for more spontaneous type of travel. It's nice to be able to hop on a train at any time and take it anywhere. With that being said it's somewhat expensive but if you use it a lot you'll get your moneys worth.

Reservations are only really relevant in France, Spain and Italy. You have to pay about 10 Euros or so(might have changed since I was last over there) to get a seat on your train. If you don't they WILL NOT kick you off the train you will just have to keep moving seats all the time because someone else will have reserved the seat your sitting in, or worse yet stand.

If you plan on booking your whole trip in advance(hostels, flights, activities) it might be cheaper and more convenient to just buy individual tickets. If have a route but no strict timeline a pass is great, if you meet great people or like a city it's easier to stick around for a few extra days because you don't have prior arrangements elsewhere, you can get on a train whenever you want. I also think train travel is a great way to see a country, some train rides are beautiful like pic related(Oslo-->Bergen)
>>
It's a bit on the expensive side in my opinion, but you'll probably end up paying even more without it if you don't want to spend hours scouring the web for cheap last minute tickets, so i'd say go for it.
>>
>>1065801
Did it this summer, but as an european citizen, so interrail. Its fucking awesome. You are free to go wherever the fuck you want, you see europe passing by in a comfy chair you can sleep in the trains instead of going in hostels.

All in all 8/10 would recommend and do again!
>>
Eurail errs somewhat on the expensive side, especially since it is even more expensive than the corresponding interrail passes. It is great for spontaneous travel in the more expensive networks (France/Switzerland/Germany/UK/NL) since you can simply travel on a whim. If you should intend to go east or south I would recommend booking single trips instead.
>>
>>1066663
how often can you sleep on the train instead of using hostels
>>
>>1066932

Well usually you'll not want to have your luggage with you 24/7 so it's a good idea to have a hostel the day after sleeping on an overnight train, that way you can drop your shit somewhere
>>
>>1066932

Sleeper cars cost extra. It's a great way to spend the night and get to another place but I wouldn't want to do it all the time. You don't have to get a sleep car but 8+ hours in a regular seat is just awful, but if you have no other option it'll work.
>>
>>1066974
Yeah, sleeping in a chair is awful. Some trains have 'couchette', it is in between chair and sleeper, which is ok too.

I had the three month pass and went wherever I pleased. It was great, never any problems.

The price did seem high, but then my pass was free (stolen), so obviously my perspective is skewed.
>>
What would everyone's estimate be for how often you would have to use a 3 month eurail pass for you to make your money's worth out of it?
>>
Hello op! me and the lads, did a eurotrip last year! we are european citizens so we bought the interrail pass! its exactly the same thing! We live in greece and we took a flight to vienna! (you can go also by train ofc)! Our itinerary was:
Vienna-> Prague->Berlin->amsterdam->brussels-> london -> Paris-> Madrid->barcelona-> milan (by airplane but our first choice was to go via the south france, we wanted to catch up a football match) and we ended to Rome!
For me it was perfect! You HAVE to do it! a lot of sightseeings! for 23 days we spend roughly 2500 euros!

If you want take a look : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DahGZ7O437w
>>
>>1065801
I'm going abroad to spain for a semester and Ibeen thinking about doing something like this, but I cant help to wonder, what do you do with luggage after you step out of the train?
>>
>>1067095
nice man, i'm from spain and have always considered doing something like that. but it would probably be solo

was it 2500 euros between all of you, or 2500 per person? Also how did you guys do it so cheap? You went through most of the expensive parts of Europe!
>>
To quote my grandfather:
"Driving through all of Europe with one ticket only? Back in my days we had that too, it was called Wehrmacht."
>>
>>1068793
It was 2500 per person!
300 the interrail pass, and 200 our flights (from and to greece and barcelona-milano)
we spend 2000 euro total for accomondation, food, alcohol and suvenirs!
We stayed in hostels (we were four so we had 4 bed dorms) and we used airbnb in prague and amsterdam! we combined fast food and restaurants! (try to avoid touristy areas) and we didnt drink so much alcohol! We also didn't do too much shopping!
>>
i'd recommend going somewhere cheaper than italy/germany/france

i'd recommend poland then work your way east/south

also add slovenia to your trip, specifically lake bled - incredible place and cheap
>>
>>1067513
they have lockers you can pay an extra few euros for at most major stations
>>
how are the accommodations on Eurail? I mean is the deluxe single sleeper worth the upcharge over a couchette, etc.?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.