[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /trvl/ers Has anyone here been to the Galapagos? My family
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 8
File: Darwin.jpg (327 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Darwin.jpg
327 KB, 1440x900
Hey /trvl/ers

Has anyone here been to the Galapagos? My family and I have been invited to my cousins wedding in Ecuador and see this as the perfect opportunity to go.
So, what's the best way of going? Good to know? Price? How long should we take?
Thanks in advance friends
>>
>>1069408
bumperoo
btw we're from Denmark if that makes any difference
>>
File: sharks galapagos.jpg (28 KB, 810x602) Image search: [Google]
sharks galapagos.jpg
28 KB, 810x602
>>1069408
I've been -- spent a week om one of the boats that goes from island to island and takes you ashore to see stuff.

>So, what's the best way of going?

See above. Though, there are small towns on a couple of the islands presumably touu clould stay in inns/hostels/B&Bs in these towns and charter some guy to tkae you around. My understanding, though, is some of those guys a re sketchy as fuck, unlicensed and operating outside the law, which may lead to issues for you in terms of getting chased off of where you want to go, etc. If unregulated, I'd be concerned if they are adequately observing safety regs, etc. as well. CAVEAT -- That is info I got from a guy with a vested interest in people using one of the licensed boats, so do your research, I guess.

Good to know?

Itenerary of the boats is always subject to change, since the park service down there rotates which islkands are abailable for a visit to which boats, keeping too many from being in one place at one time and giving each island days with no visitors, to try and minimize human impact. Paths on islands that are part of the pork are clearly marked and cannot be wandered off of, again to keep impact down. Try and get to Kicker Rock and snorkel/dive the cut there, pic related. I enjoyed the Darwin Center and the baby tortoise hatchery, but fuck if I can now remember which island the latter was on. Water can be cold, look at average temp when ou are going to be there, bring a wetsuit (rent if need be), although the boats will have them, they will have limited numbers of a given size and you don;t want to be the guy who doesn't get one if they run out on a cool day. GET AN AFFORDABLE UNDERWATER CAMERA OR FOREVER LIVE WITH REGRET.

>Price?

Expensive, Google could find numbers for you.

>How long should we take?

A week to get a good feel for the place, two to see most everything. Folks coming and going on the boat I was on stayed for a few days, and I felt like they missed a lot.
>>
File: galapagos iguana.jpg (93 KB, 798x599) Image search: [Google]
galapagos iguana.jpg
93 KB, 798x599
>>1069841
Dumping a few more pics
>>
File: galapagos tortoise fight.jpg (97 KB, 728x582) Image search: [Google]
galapagos tortoise fight.jpg
97 KB, 728x582
Boats crossing between islands are subject to very rough seas fro time to time. safe, but be prepared, unless you are absolutely sure you do not get motion sick, have some Dramamine or whatever with you "Cruise" boats that you stay aboard cross during the night, sleep is sometimes not easy. Get on a catamaran if you can, they still move a lot but they move a lot less than a mono-hull. Occasional loud "boom" as wave slaps the bottom between hulls on a catamaran is normal and does not mean you are about to die.
>>
File: another sealion for b.jpg (45 KB, 497x370) Image search: [Google]
another sealion for b.jpg
45 KB, 497x370
>>
>>
File: iguanas resized for b.jpg (132 KB, 979x627) Image search: [Google]
iguanas resized for b.jpg
132 KB, 979x627
>>
File: galapagos.jpg (78 KB, 795x594) Image search: [Google]
galapagos.jpg
78 KB, 795x594
Damn that was a great trip...
>>
Overrated and expensive tourist trap. You don't even get to interact with the animals as the people who run it are super strict. So you are in groups with all old ladies with cameras getting ushered around to different photo ops.
>>
>>1069408
Well, we certainly have two divergent opinions in this thread.
>>
>>1069877
indeedy, this is interesting. thanks for all the input fellas :)
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.