[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Morocco General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1450973672530.png (69 KB, 353x332) Image search: [Google]
1450973672530.png
69 KB, 353x332
Hi /trv/ im about to move for a backpacking tour in morocco. Does anyone know nice place to visit and the cost of meal and hostels? I got no high expectation (hotel, expensive meals, etc...) Any help will be appreciate.
>>
>>1067964
>Marrakech is a must. The winding souks with all their sights and smells are incredible. Just be careful not to get lost.
>Go into the Atlas Mountains at night if you can. I never did but apparently its one of the best ways to see the stars with 0 light pollution

I don't know if you've ever been to North Africa, but I have been to Tunisia quite a lot. It struck me fairly quickly how different Moroccans are. The general attitude towards tourists is a bit aloof and bartering can be hard.
>>
>>1067968
Thank you for the fast response. Im currently in canary island. I will take the airplane to marrakech and later i will go on the atlas. You actually know maybe how much it cost food and other stuff?
>>
>>1067972
No problem. Its been a few years since I went, as North Africa is not the most stable area in the world. Morocco should be okay though.

The currency is Dihram from memory and its something like 15 dihram to 1 GBP. I think food and shit is fairly cheap.

You MUST have an authentic tagine cooked in a tangine. Try and do the whole sitting on cushions thing too if you can.
>>
>>1068045
I will. Maybe i will post result on this board. Have a nice continuation.
>>
>>1067964
BLINI KOT!!!
>>
I respectfully disagree that Marrakech is a 'must'. There's better winding streets is Few, cooler historical buildings in Meknes, no hasslers in Rabat. Marrakech is mediocre at best. The only good thing about it is it's close to the mountains. The anon above is quite right about there being zero light pollution in the mountains; best stars I've ever seen.
The cost of a hostel bunk is about 80 dirham, or 50 to sleep on the roof of the hostel. If you can't find a hostel, expect to pay 100 for a seedy hotel room.
That's in the touristy cities. In the middle of nowhere cities a cheap hotel is between 60-100 dirham.
A tagine will cost you around 35 dirham in the tourist cities, or as little as 15 dirham elsewhere. The secret to finding a good tagine is to look for the restaurants that have a whole row of tagines on display, which have been slow cooking for hours.
On phone, sorry for typos
>>
>>1068072
Thanks. I will take a round on marrakech. Maybe 1 day. I was think of camping on mountains. You think is a good idea? My point is to come in spain from morocco. Passing thrugh the mountains.
>>
>>1068091
Yeah, you can camp anywhere in the mountains, the people are really friendly.
>>
Currently living in Morocco and just completed a 3 week trip through middle and southern Morocco with my family. People are really friendly in general, especially if you make an effort to talk to them and learn a few basic darija (moroccan arabic) phrases. Most people speak french, and some speak pretty good English. I agree with posters above, Marrakesh is fun, but it's not the real Morocco. Too many tourists and pushy shop keepers. Fes is much more authentic if you're looking for the Medina experience. Meknes and Moulay Idriss are great spots for history as well and are much more laid back. Chefchaouen in the Rif mountains is both beautiful and very relaxing.

Exchange rates is about 10 Moroccan dirhams to 1 USD. A simple non-tourist sandwich can be anywhere from 10-20 dirhams. Two person tajines are between 30-50 dirhams. Bigger cities might be a bit more expensive but you're getting ripped off if you're paying US or Euro prices for your meals.

Hostels can be as cheap as 50 Dirhams a night if you look for them, but probably average just under 100 Dirhams.

Buses and trains are the preferred mode of travel for people that can't speak french or local languages. Use supratours, oncf, or CTM. Prices can be found online.

Feel free to ask any more questions too
>>
>>1069206
Thanks for your answer. Really dettalied. My point is to come in Marrakech and travel till Fes and then Tangier. It can be somthing should i Pay attentionr? Exemple Pickpockters, wild animals, bad costume...Etc. Thanks in advice.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.