[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
China
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: china.png (1 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
china.png
1 KB, 275x183
Hey /trv/! I'm going to China in June. I've been to Canada, the UK, and France, but China is a whole different beast. I've got a few questions. Are the pickpockets really as bad as people make them out to be here? How bad is the air quality really? How much money should I bring for a 9 day trip?
>>
>>1064145
>Are the pickpockets really as bad as people make them out to be here?
Just be careful of your stuff and you should be fine. Also: http://kotaku.com/chinese-man-pickpockets-an-iphone-by-using-chopstick-472615317

>How bad is the air quality really?
Beijing has really shitty air but other places should be ok. Generally, the more north you go, the shittier the air.

>How much money should I bring for a 9 day trip?
No idea - I suck at math lol
>>
>>1064145

It's probably not the best reply your going to get, but my parents went to china, and they always say how they were some of the most friendly people they have ever met.

I don't know which cities they went to, its a big country,but every time my parents pulled out their ipad, the Chinese faces lit up with excitement and wonder. not even kidding.

Where did you go in Canada?
>>
>>1064161
Toronto and Montreal for layovers.
>>
>>1064161
>they always say how they were some of the most friendly people they have ever met
I am from Hong Kong and this is obviously fucking bait.
>>
>>1064145
Maybe try China General: >>1060743
>>
>>1064161
>every time my parents pulled out their ipad, the Chinese faces lit up with excitement and wonder

Don't they have ipads in china?
>>
>>1064178
haha, you hk people just mad cause you wanna be free. you people look down on "mainlanders"
>>
>>1064471
The average mainlander is impolite and rude. This is a fact.
>>
I went to South East China for a few weeks, ended up carrying all my money in a ziplock from day 2. I mean there were all these people selling tickets on buses carrying thousands and thousands of yuans in their hands... So I was like, if these people can count the notes standing on the street next to the bus station every day, then I won't have to bother with hiding my cash either.
Ended up carrying a couple of thousand yuans in a transparent zip lock. It was also much easier cause I didn't recognize the notes too well.
If pickpockets didn't find me prancing around with thousands of RMB, you'll be safe, too.

If you've been to France... Downtown Paris feels more dangerous than any of China I've been to.

You can do China basically anywhere from 100RMB (0 according to locals) to 10000000RMB and beyond per day, depends on where you want to go, what you want to do... I could live on baozi for days, and then it's like 5 yuan per day for food if I'm a village.
>>
File: Spendometer - How Long.png (42 KB, 554x629) Image search: [Google]
Spendometer - How Long.png
42 KB, 554x629
>>1064145

Here's a snippet concerning how long $1k will last in assorted countries from "First Time Around the World" 4 ed.

Really though. Sit down and price out how much it's going to cost using the internet. You should have some idea about where you're going to be for those 9 days and what expenses you'll incurre. Shouldn't be that difficult to then search for specific travel advice to where you're going to be along with relative pricing.
>>
air quality is fine
pickpockets aren't a big deal as long as you're not wasted
accident/bar bill schemes are far more likely
>>
are there lots of ladyboys in China? I'd like to find a nice ladyboy to snuggle with.
>>
>>1064145
I live in the central part, and I think the people are very friendly. I never go to the big cities of Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Chongching, etc., so maybe they're more rude in the big cities.

For 9 days, I wouldn't even worry about the air. If one day is particularly bad (PM2.5 over 300), then buy a cheap ass mask literally anywhere.

When I travel, I set myself a limit of 150 RMB (assuming you're from USA, that's about $28), so obviously it's a very cheap country. The 150 doesn't include travel or lodging costs, though. And 150 is a low budget, you could find yourself spending 500 RMB per day quite easily.
>>
>>1064907
>maybe they're more rude in the big cities
Bullshit! Mainlanders tend to be rude. Hongkongers are not.
>>
>>1064968
People in from big cities are rude from the perspective of small town folk. The reverse is equally true. Big city efficiency is opposed to small town pleasantry.
>>
>>1064848
Not really, unless they're Thai or Brazilian upscale hookers somewhere. Plenty of homosex if you want it and don't mind tiny pencil dicks.
>>
>>1064968
It's relative. Mainlanders are just ignorant, whereas Honkers are although can be somewhat more worldly (plenty of HK working class plebs are not), are kind of arrogant and pretentious IME.

Some of the mainlanders I've met are among the most genuinely earnest, friendly and curious I've met. Yes, probably because of my exoticness to them. And sure, some spat and smoked non-stop and curtly told their wives to get back in the kitchen and make dinner while they plied me with beer and shot the shit.
>>
>>1064848
>are there lots of ladyboys in China?
I've never seen one.

HK has some who are on a working holiday from Thailand or wherever. They work off Craig'slist.
>>
Thought I posted this question on a /trv/ china thread, but I guess not...

"How long do people celebrate Chinese New Year for?"
One day?
One week?
Two weeks?

Feedback on this topic would be great.
>>
>>1065304

I'm not going to answer you in either thread because you were too fucking retarded to use the search function and fucking read you faggot.
>>
>>1065140
It's not. In mainland China, it is culturally acceptable ti cut the line, spit, piss in the public, and ask about other people's incomes. How is that polite?
>>
>>1065130
This is true in western countries (eg. the UK) but no true in the HK/mainland China context.
>>
What is the least amount of money someone can survive on in Beijing for 1 month?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.