[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people become ESL teachers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: uk.jpg (72 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
uk.jpg
72 KB, 500x500
They have to quit their jobs in their homelands and there is no guarantee that they will get their jobs back. Why would a firm hire someone who quit their jobs for a year or two? They will probably forget what they learned.
Why don't these people just travel during their holidays if they want to see the world? Becoming an ESL teacher makes no sense.
>>
>They have to quit their jobs in their homelands and there is no guarantee that they will get their jobs back.
Many people do it directly out of university. There's no guarantee of anything in life. No guarantee you won't one day regret your commitment to the rat race. No guarantee you won't die tomorrow.

>Why would a firm hire someone who quit their jobs for a year or two?
Why not? This isn't some fucking rule.

>They will probably forget what they learned.
Why? Source? Yup I'm gonna forget everything I learned about finance in 4 years of college just because I sang songs to some kids in Taiwan for a year.

>Why don't these people just travel during their holidays if they want to see the world?
Because traveling alone is a net loss of money while teaching pays you? ESL is a long term thing meaning you get to experience a country for longer and on a deeper level than just visiting?

>Becoming an ESL teacher makes no sense.
You make no sense, and on top of it you are clearly that pertinacious ESL hater that has showed in the last couple threads. Dude, give it a rest.
>>
>>1063894
>No guarantee you won't one day regret your commitment to the rat race. No guarantee you won't die tomorrow.
What are the chances of thaf happening? Very unlikely? It is a waste to just go teacg ESL abroad when you can progress onwards towards a nice job.
>Why not? This isn't some fucking rule.
Think about it. Let's say a Law graduate can't find a law job after graduation. His chances of finding one in future years is very unlikely. Who the fuck will hire him instead of a local graduate?
>Yup I'm gonna forget everything I learned about finance in 4 years of college just because I sang songs to some kids in Taiwan for a year.
See above.
>Because traveling alone is a net loss of money while teaching pays you?
But you can find a well-paid, stable job which pays WAY more than teaching English abroad..
>You make no sense, and on top of it you are clearly that pertinacious ESL hater that has showed in the last couple threads. Dude, give it a rest.
Who?
>>
Not all our lives revolve around ruthlessly chasing careers and money and whatever yuppie lifestyle your soulless boring bitch ass Chinese parents beat you into wanting. Just imagine it, graduating uni and going straight into working 9-5 to afford your studio apartment and $10 beers at some shitty inner city pub just to be desirable to other pretentious cunts when you could be living free, watching the Ganges roll by or camping in the Sahara.
Stay pleb mother fucker
>>
>>1063897
It is a waste to quit a stable, well-paid job just to teach English abroad for a year or two. And really, most people hate their jobs over time. Doesn't matter if it is teaching English overseas or a 9 to 5 office job.
>>
>>1063898
I taught English directly out of college, most of my colleagues disliked their jobs and were unhappy so they quit a lifestyle they disliked to teach English. English teaching for life was never my plan but as a CS major I was able to get a CS job as soon as I got tired of teaching English.

So I'm making a good salary and unlike you I actually got to live in a different country and learn the language for 3 years. But I'm sure the 14 days a year you get for vacation at your regular ass job gives you just as much enjoyment.
>>
>They have to quit their jobs in their homelands and there is no guarantee that they will get their jobs back.
>It is a waste to quit a stable, well-paid job just to teach English abroad for a year or two.
Except for the part about most ESL and similar in other languages doing this straight after the university.
>Why would a firm hire someone who quit their jobs for a year or two?
Most beginners start with one or two years contracts anyway, in every domain aside from engineering or banking. You'd be very lucky to start your teaching career with any sort of permanent contract.
>Why don't these people just travel during their holidays if they want to see the world?
Immersion =/= tourism
>Becoming an ESL teacher makes no sense.
Neither does getting any other job when you really think about it.
And believe it or not, but some people actually want to teach. And there is such thing as having a career as a tacher. Maybe it's not that true for english since the field is too saturated, but it's not uncommon to, say, start teaching french abroad in a local school and mak your way towards a stabler job in a university or other institute.
>>
>>1063891
Go away troll. You've showed up in all the ESL threads spouting this same shit and now you're proactively making your own. People who are successful and fulfilled and happy don't give this much of a petty shit what other people choose to do with their lives and lash out at them on an anonymous Chinese cartoon forum.

>It is a waste to just go teacg ESL abroad when you can progress onwards towards a nice job.

That's what you told the British lawyer guy, and the accounting/whatever guy who was going to inherit the house. We know how you supposedly feel you galactic tool. Who cares? Do your own thing and let other people do theirs. No one is stopping you from being a stellar career man with a spit-shine resume. Especially not ESL teachers. They're off in Korea desk warming.

The only explanation I can think of is that you're some basement dwelling weeaboo who dreams of fucking Asian girls or something but doesn't even have the measly bachelors degree required to do TEFL, so you just troll and lash out at them to this persistent and ridiculous of a degree.

And if you're really not that other guy (you sure sound exactly like him), my thought and hypothesis remains unchanged.
>>
>>1063902
>And there is such thing as having a career as a tacher
ESL teachers earn so little. You are baaically working for free.
>>
>>1063909
I am not that guy, but it is stupid to give up well-paid job to teach abroad.
>>
>>1063911
Teaching doesn't pay well, that's just how things are.
If you want to get easy money, get into plumbing,banking or phone dev, and don't whine about your job being shitty.
>>
>>1063916
I agree. People who teach ESL are just being picky. Just learn to love your original job. And really, all jobs have their own shitty aspects. Dealing with naughty kids is not fun.
>>
>>1063920
>stop doing what I don't want you to do
>>
>>1063923
What did I do? I am stating my perspective here.
>>
>>1063891
Do you have this same sentiment about people who become teachers in general, or just ESL? What's the distinction between the two for you?
>>
Are you the same guy that complained about Working Holiday Visas some days ago?
>>
>>1063925
At least teaching at a school is a career, teaching ESL abroad is not. Quitting a well-paid job to teach in both cases is not worth it. All jobs suck in their own ways. So these people think teaching does not have its own shitty aspects?
>>1063926
Yes and?
>>
>>1063927
The salary cap for a regular teacher is only slightly better than the salary cap for an ESL. Theres little room for advancement in both
>>
>>1063932
Yeah, so people should just pick a job wirh bettwe pay and learn to love that job.
>>
>>1063927
What's funny is many foreigners use teaching as an in-road to the USA (Indian and other teachers you always see in inner city/shitty schools), in the same fashion many have parlayed ESL into other careers or simply advancing in it , to legally live abroad. The pay is often shitty for Western standards, but if you have no plans to return to the west...

Also, as been discussed, there is a path to transition from ESL to an international school teacher
>>
>>1063926
He's the same guy that is also creating threads on /adv/ all the time that go something like "Why would anyone become a teacher as a career when lawyers get paid much better?"

And annoying 18-year old who thinks he has the world figured out.
>>
>>1064004
Adults agree with me, look:
>>1063967
>>
God OP is autistic. What a twat.
>>
>>1064072
If I am autistic this guy won't share similar perspectives as me!
Adults agree with me, look:
>>1063967
This is proof that I am not autistic.
>>
>>1064077

As an adult who worked as an ESL teacher for two years and now works as a highly paid software developer in my home country, I can assure you that you are indeed autistic
>>
>>1064082
Well whatever You might as well be making stuff up.
That OP in that thread is autidtic though for wanting to switch to teaching permanently.
>>
>>1064084
So the people responsible for the education of the masses are all autists?
>>
>>1064086
No
That guy is wasting his pharmacy education
Teaching is for losers who can't pick anything else
>>
>>1064077
You are assuming money is everything and everyone does or should value money above everything.

Also, you are kind of leaving out the elephant in the room--namely that most people who are ESL teachers are soft major/humanities degree holders who have little qualifications for other work. For these people ESL teaching is an easy option and definitely beats working at Starbucks. So when you insist people should just get a better paying job in their home country you're assuming a lot about qualifications.

You make my head hurt. I don't know why I'm even arguing with you.
>>
>>1064092
>For these people ESL teaching is an easy option and definitely beats working at Starbucks
Teaching ESL makes sense then. What I do not get are cases like this
>>1063967
>>
>>1063916
To be fair, teaching can be quite lucrative. Here in Canada if you can find a teaching job your going to make quite a bit of cash.
>>
>>1063916
It doesn't pay very poorly really. Here in the US I'd say starting salary average 35,000 to 50,000 depending on the state. It definitely goes up with time. Teaching is the springboard to administrative positions and those pay around 70-90,000 a year.
>>
>>1064113
Forgot to add, this is not bad for a job where you work 9 months a year.
>>
>>1064102
No it doesn't. Stop spreading shit information
>>
>>1063927
>Quitting a well-paid job to teach in both cases is not worth it.

Most people don't quit well paid jobs, they quit shitty boring dead end jobs or do it straight after finishing College/Uni/school. Or they do it as a career break.

Also the idea that its impossible to get a good job after teaching ESL for a couple of years is just wrong. People leave their jobs for all sorts of reasons.
>>
File: trumpchan.jpg (37 KB, 565x761) Image search: [Google]
trumpchan.jpg
37 KB, 565x761
I did the whole ESL thing. I regret it. Here's my story.

I got my CELTA qualification after a month of intensive training and €1,000 in fees. I quickly found a job at a private school in rural Spain. The school even paid for my flight out there which gave me a great first impression. I had fantasies about teaching inspiring lessons Mon-Thurs and traveling Europe at the weekend.

The reality was quite different. The pay was barely minimum wage and was consumed by rent, food and bills. I spent the year living in poverty, eating pasta and frozen pizza, afraid to turn on the heating for fear of running up costs. Central Spain get bitterly cold in Winter. The other teachers (who felt equally duped by the ESL dream) and I drank whatever disposable income we had left over to forget our miserable existence. Lessons were hastily put together from a textbook 10 mins before the class began. I was a phony and my students knew it Well, the teens and adults knew at least. I used to tell the infants to draw a picture to waste away lesson time.

In hindsight I should have cut my losses and left. I couldn't afford to travel even outside my town and left Spain at the end of the year as broke as I went in. I'll never again use my CELTA qualification.

I'm sure those teaching in the Far East will have more optimistic experiences of ESL but it wasn't for me.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.