[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cayo Coco, Cuba
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
Hi /trl/

I am going to Cuba for Christmas vacation (1 week). I was wondering how much it will cost daily and if there is anything I should know about traveling there ? Should I contact my government and let them know ? Do I need shots ? It's my first time leaving the country I'm a travel noob.

Thanks in advanced for the help
>>
>>1059538
Where are you from?
Get your visitor card that is stamped on the back by a travel agency...

There are 2 currencies in use the CUC for tourists 1 CUC = 1 USD and the CUP currency of the locals you can also get but only use on markets or local shops. 26.5CUP = 1 USD

Budget depends on what you have already paid for and what you plan to do. Usually about 30 CUC will be good for food and getting around per day.

If you are american bring euros that will last for your whole trip. USD get a penalty fee and only a few places will exchange them.
If you're from europe most maestro cards won't work, Visa and Master might work.
US credit cards are not accepted anywhere (zero acceptance rate of Amex and Diners Club cards no matter from what country they're) also any credit card that processes trough a US Bank will get declined.

For shots:
Required is nothing but I would always recommend:
>The typical childhood vaccines (MMR & IPV & PCV) you will have anyway.
>DTaP at least get a Tetanus refresher every 10 years, in question get a TP refresher anyway.
>Hep A always worth it
>Hep B (if you just think about getting a hooker or might want to travel to SEA, Central and South America anytime soon get it. Hep B is a bitch)
In doubt, print it, show it to your doc and the knows anyway.
>>
>>1059548
Amazing thank you anon.

I will be traveling from Canada. I have paid for the resort and flight. I am bringing my partner. I'll get 500$ in Cuc before going.

Should I be worried about spiders or anything ?
>>
>>1059550
No problem.

If it's a resort there's usually not much left to pay for most of them have food included. It's activities and that can be anything just take US prices as references you might get off a lot cheaper but yea. Keep a healthy reserve anyway.

>Should I be worried about spiders or anything ?
Not really, just the usual stuff:
don't drink from a fountain use bottled water for everything and the other thing are mosquitoes just bring a repellent and wear bright color cloths. (No real Malaria risk j4i)
There's a small chance of tropical storms but it's pretty low.
>>
>>1059550
Oh forgot you're not allowed to import or export CUC. Don't try your luck with that.
>>
>>1059557

they don't give a fuck about that... been to Cuba 10+ times.

If you're a Canadian travelling to Cuba, they literally don't ask you anything
>>
>>1059618
>>1059548
>Where are you from?
>>1059550
>I will be traveling from Canada.

These are not necessarily the same thing. kek

>If you are American bring euros that will last for your whole trip.
Wrong.
Don't bring Euros, bring Brit Pounds!
>>
File: Monopoly Money.jpg (14 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
Monopoly Money.jpg
14 KB, 225x225
>>1059725
>>
Apparently it is expensive according to my bro that just visited
>>
>>1059752
It is. They don't have hostels, just big resorts and casa particulars (bed n breakfast)

Resorts are way out of my price range, and CP is still more expensive than my usual $12/night hostel

If you're American you've got to drop an extra grand for a ticket through another country and another 2k for the fines you have to pay when you're caught with too many stamps in passport. Or you could just get an approved tour which costs an arm and a leg and feels more like a school field trip. Too much hassle just to visit what is essentially Puerto Rico with shit internet.
>>
>>1059725

Montreal
>>
>>1059754
>CP is still more expensive than my usual $12/night
Post that on /b/ and get banned...
>>
>>1059791
I wouldn't know I haven't paid attention to /b/ in years, it is one of the uncivilized boards, not like us of course
>>
>>1059538
you need to know that cuba has no real economy. people have food but thats it. everbody is poor, avergage cubans dont have a car. everybody trys to make some money, no matter how, they want your tourist currency since theire own isnt worth shit. no macdonalds coca cola, or even real stores. at least its pretty safe since it is a police state
>>
i did see a bunch of fuckin aliens running around
>>
File: towelman.jpg (514 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
towelman.jpg
514 KB, 1280x720
>>1059538
Don't forget to bring a towel
>>
>>1059874
This is actually great advice for Cuba.

Thanks for the reminder!
>>
File: UK-British-Pound-sterling.jpg (76 KB, 620x420) Image search: [Google]
UK-British-Pound-sterling.jpg
76 KB, 620x420
>>1059550
>Convert to £ first, it is more valuable than CAN dollars.
>>
>>1060069
>>
>>1060093
sorry but it's the truth
>>
>>1059548
>Diner's Club

This credit card isn't even accepted in the USA anymore, and I haven't seen one for over a decade, are they still in business?

Also oldfag?
>>
File: 1450476137929.gif (107 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1450476137929.gif
107 KB, 300x300
Thanks everyone for the info, this really helps.

I have one stupid question. What about pirated media ? I want to bring some movies and or vidya/tablet (5 hour flight). Will they go ape shit if I have some pirated movies or some flashcarts on my systems ?
>>
>>1060118
Still a flippin' insane comment though.
>>
>>1060123
I don't know if they still exist or what ever, I just see the logo next to "visa, amex etc. cards accepted" stickers around south america and eastern europe. So I at least believe they're still alive or some kind of niche card.

>>
So with flights opening up in 2016 from the States can someone tell me how strict the "12 exceptions" thing is for U.S. citizens?
>>
File: skewl.png (197 KB, 500x324) Image search: [Google]
skewl.png
197 KB, 500x324
>>1061392
Very strict.

When you return with multiple Mex entry stamps American officials will ask what other countries you visited. If you lie and say 'None' you've committed a felony. If you say had an exception visa they will verify it with the treasury department. If your name doesn't come up expect a massive fine and jail time.

Have fun!
>>
I'm an Aussie looking to go to Cuba early next year, didn't want to make a new thread.
Is it worth hiring a car or motorbike to explore outside cities?
I'll be travelling by myself, I've read in this thread that Cuba doesn't have hostels, are there any good ways of meeting fellow travel buddies to hang out with? I'll be spending a week or two in Canada beforehand.
How good does your Spanish need to be? Mine's non-existent at the moment but if I really apply myself I might be able to get it up to shithouse before I leave.
>>
>>1061901
>Is it worth hiring a car or motorbike to explore outside cities?
>I'll be traveling by myself, I've read in this thread that Cuba doesn't have hostels, are there any good ways of meeting fellow travel buddies to hang out with?

Don't rent a car, take the trains. You can meet people on the train. Cubans are very well educated, but English is not widespread. If you are in a touristy area you can find someone who speaks English, but if not no promises

It sucks that they don't have $10 to $15 hostels but a $25 to $40 Casa isn't too terrible.

When are you going to be there?
>>
File: duckmeat.jpg (627 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
duckmeat.jpg
627 KB, 1920x1200
fug this place looks beautiful
>>
>>1062512
Thanks for the tips Anon. I'm thinking I might head over sometime in February.
You seem pretty knowledgeable about Cuba, is there anything that you'd recommend? I don't really have much of an idea of what I'd like to do while I'm over there.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.