[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /trv/ I'm planning a trip with me gf to South America
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Location_South_America.png (1 MB, 3354x3357) Image search: [Google]
Location_South_America.png
1 MB, 3354x3357
Hi /trv/ I'm planning a trip with me gf to South America early next year from 3 to 4 weeks.
Which places/countries should i go? and which ones should i avoid?
We enjoy bohemian cities and cultural stuff.
Since i'm a working nomad i will need use my computer and internet connection once in a while.
Any source, tip, link, dos and don'ts, hostels, restaurants, would be grand.
(we loved to travel lowbudget as possible)
>>
>>1058373
Most of south america is pretty cheap and you can even eat out on a $40 budget in nicer restaurants.

That said if you like in unconventional two must do stops are Montevideo and Valparaiso.

Montevideo is like bizarro town. It has a mix of the charm of soviet tier commie blocks, top tier skyscrapers, endless richness and quarters where you would say "if someone would throw a few bombs into it, it would upgrade the neighborhood". I would call it bi-polar central. Absolutely awesome city and pretty safe. I would go back anytime

Valparaiso, well you might know it, 7 hills, a harbor, colored houses, some 1910 era equipment that takes you up the hills, nice little restaurants all around, great bars and only a few known areas to keep away.

You can get free wifi almost anywhere and even mobile inet isn't that expensive yet 3/4g is not the norm. (well the network ain't great but at least in larger cities it's decent). Just get a prepaid card, load a few pesos on it and you're set.

Public transport is cheap, either keep coins on you or get a trajeta for the city. Long distance busses in chile, brazil and argentina are decent and really cheap, a 30hour bus ride just ain't my cup of coffee...
>>
the south of Chile is just awesome, cheap/secure/ nice people :)
>>
Frutillar and "lago todos los santos"
>>
Quito is an interesting city.

Also check out the Galapagos islands if you can swing it.
>>
>>1058373
I've just came back from SA and was impressed by Brazil which I had never thought of as very interesting place. Super hospitable people, good food, affordable prices and never felt in danger although everyone seemed worried about crime.

If you like cities where a lot of things happen, certainly São Paulo and Buenos Aires will be areas to explore. If you find them too big and don't mind higher cost of living, Montevideo is great.
>>
Argentine here.

If you like cultural stuff Peru is a must, everyone says it's amazing. Sadly I haven't had the opportunity to go yet.

Bolivia is also beautifull and is cheap as fuck. Like, you can find accomodation for less than 1 U$S a night.

Be aware that you'll get charged a lot more for everything given you're a foreigner. I'd also be wary of going to small lost towns in poor regions (south of bolivia for example). Try to go through the touristic route.

If you like cities and culture I think you'll find Buenos Aires really interesting. It's a beautifull city that's recieved plenty of immigration from all around the world through the decades, so you'll find stuff from a lot of different cultures all mashed up together. It also has the biggest offer in theatres you can find in latin america. (I know plenty of actors that have come here from Europe because of how much acting and theater culture there is here)
(If you want to see a nice movie the perfectly illustrates Buenos Aires architecture check out "Medianeras", it's on youtube)

Brasil is really different from the rest of latin america, so maybe you'll find it interesting changing sceneries a bit.

If you have any questions regarding buenos aires or argentina just say so
>>
>>1059392
> Brasil is really different from the rest of latin america

on which way?
>>
>>1058373
What exactly do you do OP?
>>
Venezuelan here, avoid this country completely.
>>
>>1058373
Avoid Peruvian mountain guides if you don't want to get c u c k e d
>>
Brazil is huge, and every region has its own culture. And, in many ways, totally different from the other countries in south america, just to start, we speak portuguese.

I'd suggest you visit the Northeast of Brazil, the coast line to be more precise. You gonna find a unique culture, beautiful beaches and good, cheap places to eat.

A good all you can eat steakhouse wound't be more than $20.

You can start your trip in Fortaleza and drive all the way down to Maceió. Don't forget the city of Recife, which has a huge cultural things to do and see.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.