[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /tra/velers I am planning a roadtrip through the US with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: ss+(2015-12-02+at+06.39.46).jpg (413 KB, 1624x1037) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-02+at+06.39.46).jpg
413 KB, 1624x1037
Sup /tra/velers

I am planning a roadtrip through the US with my best friend. We're coming from northern Europe, so I hope we're white enough not to get shot down in the south.

Rough itinerary in the picture, but we're landing in New York, and are probably spending a week between NY, Philly, Washington and surrounding sights. We're planning on using whatever public transportation is available, but might get a car if we decide to visit places like Norfolk or Gettysburg, if they are worth it.

After that

>Take flight from Washington to Orlando
>Kennedy Space Center, amusement parks
>Rent car and drive northward
>Friend in Lawrenceburg, TN, so we are going to head that route, probably use it as a small base for a few days to see surround areas and cities.
>Another friend in Dayton, OH. Will also use as a base to go around and see stuff nearby
>After that, head eastward, maybe do something in the Appalachians, and eventually return the car in New York

We'll be there for 26 days, as well as an additional arrival and leave day. What are some must-see stops on the route, or nearby places that we can go by? Anything from interesting places to visit, beautiful natural parks, or just great foodplaces. The route is anything but finished, the only places that are nailed down are NY-Washington, as well as Florida, Tennessee and Ohio.
>>
i will hunt you down
>>
>>1056144

Bring something to eat and we can have a barbecue
>>
>>1056140
Smokey Mountains in Tennessee. Make sure you try some homemade moonshine at some hick's house in the mountains woods.

Also, Be sure to see the ocean while in Florida. It is a very short drive to either coast in Florida from Orlando.

In New York, do all of the New York shit, obviously, like ride the subway, Time Square, but also check out Liberty Island in NYC.

Take pictures with your friend at each monument in Washington D.C.

!!! Eat good ole American barbecue when you are in the south! Tennessee will have shit loads of it. Barbecue is a must.
>>
>>1056360

Our friend has promised us some good ol' souther hospitality and cooking. I want to eat at a lot of places, even try american chains we have here just to see how different they are.

I hope to find quaint diners along the road, just like in the movies. But I suspect I am 50 years too late for that kind of stuff.
>>
>>1056396

They're still there, but rare. On that note though, try Waffle House, but only late at night, after drinking. It's a massive corporatte chain but close to replicating that diner experience.

Also, I see you're going through Nashville. It's definitely worth your time. Ignore all the redneck stereotypes and country music. There's a huge music scene there both country and otherwise and a lot of really cool, small hole in the wall places to enjoy.

Also, Americans love Europeans as long as you're not arrogant or superior and cops aren't as dangerous as everyone indicates them to be.
>>
>>1056422

Aside from sporting one of those shirts with an American flag, except with flags from our own country, what's the best way to approach an American that you are a foreigner? Just straight on mention that you're travelers?

We both have pretty good accents, they will probably suspect we are not from around their part, but we could probably pass as native English speakers.
>>
>>1056429

If you have American friends you could have them introduce you.

I had a white South African friend who was uncomfortable bringing it up most of the time but when he and I hung out I would say something about it in conversation and people would be interested and start asking them questions.

However, if you just mention that you're travelers doing a road trip around the country people will love that. Oscar Wilde once said that American men are at their best when showing a foreigner their country. People might be somewhat ignorant of other cultures here, but know what they like about where they're from and would be happy to tell you about it.
>>
>>1056140
>Going through Columbus, Ohio

Stop by, m8. I'll show you a good time in the Short North.
>>
File: image.jpg (333 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
333 KB, 900x600
If you guys need or want a place to stay in Kentucky, I'd be happy to host you in Lexington! If you want the real "American sports" experience, it's hard to beat a Kentucky basketball game. Being a student, I could score you guys tickets for under $50
>>
get some Cuban food while you're in Florida

Islands of Adventure is the best park in Orlando
>>
>>1056140
I suggest staying in the southern region of Ohio, it is very boring around Columbus, but farther south is much more scenic (Google: Hawking Hills). You can take an alternate route to Dayton which won't add much time and will be a MUCH prettier ride.

Also, I would suggest avoiding Atlanta at all costs. It is a traffic nightmare and just a sketchy city in general. Drive through Alabama instead, to Birmingham or Montgomery then east from there.

These are just suggestions, but other than that it looks like you have a pretty solid road trip ahead of you. Have fun and be safe.
>>
>>1056140
What time are you coming? I'm from Louisville so I might be able to point you to some cool stuff in the area.
>>
>>1056140
If you are going to be in the state of TN, you must visit Cades Cove, which is located in the Smokey Mountains. Probably the most beautiful place in the surrounding states
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.